What's new

Chinese Arab people

al-Hasani

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
Interesting extract from a documentary about China. I would never have thought that the relations are that old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZGDMrnwzE&feature=player_embedded#!

Sino-Arab relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of Islam in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Islam in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Ding family must be that Arab-Chinese family a Chinese member spoke about in the "Syrian civil war" thread not long ago. A shame that they lost their lost their religion.

Amazing really.

Do anyone know where I can find the remaining documentary? Or the name of that documentary?

Interesting combo!

Indeed. What I found really interesting or rather strange for me was the mixture of Chinese architecture, scripture and that of a Islamic/Arabic mix, albeit not big here 700 years after.

The ancestor worship that they replaced with Islam is also quite interesting. I know that Chinese rulers were in general hostile to foreign religions but is the ancestor worship not part of Chinese culture? Sorry for my ignorance, if I am wrong. I know that Chinese culture, in particular, put great regard when it comes to respect for the family, elders and ancestors.

I have Chinese language sources.

Can you share them please. I would be grateful. Not that I understand Chinese. Is the Ding family name really only restricted to that one family in this documentary? The old Chinese man of the Ding family said that they are 60.000 today!

I also find the Chinese mosques quite interesting to say the least. I have to say that.

There is nothing in the world called "Chinese Arab people" :no:

Apparently there are Chinese people of Arab ancestry. Watch the documentary. Never mind just stumbled across the extract of that documentary and found it interesting and decided to post it here.

The Arabic spoken by the young teacher is quite good btw. More or less completely fluent.

At least this documentary didn't show the people as poor. That's a step up. At least they didn't find some remote village in middle of nowhere to show people with no teeth.

Anyways, these guys are Chinese, they may have Arabic decent, but they are Chinese, if I know something about growing up in a "foreign" country, you can't really get use to your "home" anymore.

They won't be comfortable living in Middle east, just because they have Arabic roots.
@al-Hasani

Chinese Rulers allows other religions, China always gave freedom to religions save for few periods that were small and far between.

Communism is German, and adopted by Russia. It's not a Chinese ideology. As China becomes more Chinese once more, Religion will be tolerated more once more.

Worshiping ancestor is Chinese, I do it with my family every Chinese new year. Not sure if Muslims do it too, but I'm sure Christians don't and probably forbidden to do it.

Ding is a name that even Han Chinese use, the guy meant his particular clan of people.

60,000 isn't that much if you consider China has had polygamy until 1949 pretty much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. What I found really interesting or rather strange for me was the mixture of Chinese architecture, scripture and that of a Islamic/Arabic mix, albeit not big here 700 years after.

The ancestor worship that they replaced with Islam is also quite interesting. I know that Chinese rulers were in general hostile to foreign religions but the is ancestor worship not part of Chinese culture? Sorry for my ignorance, if I am wrong. I know that Chinese culture, in particular, put great regard in respect for the family, elders and ancestors.

Can you share them please. I would be grateful. Is the Ding family name really only restricted to that one family in this documentary? The old Chinese man of the Ding family said that they are 60.000 today!

I also find the Chinese mosques quite interesting to say the least. I have to say that.

There are three families that I know of.

Pu - 蒲 from Abu. Many Arabs took this as their surname as they settled in southeastern China in the Song dynasty. The Chinese writer Pu Songling, is believed by some to be descended from one of these families.

¡¶ÁÄÕ«Ö¾Òì¡·×÷ÕßÆÑËÉÁäȷϵ»Ø×å

http://www.gzlib.gov.cn/shequ_info/gzfengwu/GZfengwuDetail.do?column=CTWHYS&id=1276

Guo - 郭 - this family is descended from a Persian.

Ding - 丁 - they are descended from Sayyid Ajall Shams ad-Din, a Sayyid from a noble family in Bukhara.

The Mongols brought many Persians and Arabs to China to serve under their government when they took over China. During the Ispah Rebellion, the Persians and Arabs revolted against the Mongols and there was a general free for all slaughter taking place in Quanzhou among the different peoples living in the city. Many families fled to outlying areas where they live today or to other parts of China.

CHINESE-IRANIAN RELATIONS vii. SE. China ? Encyclopaedia Iranica

The Pu family was exiled from Quanzhou to other cities in China after the Mongols were overthrown, because one of their ancestors had surrendered the city and defected during the Mongol invasion. This is how they were scattered to other provinces in China.

°²Ïª·¢ÏÖ°¢À*²®ºóÒáÆÑÐÕĹÔá - ÆÑÊÏ×ÚÇ×Íø¡ª¡ªÆÑ¡¢ÆÑÐÕ¡¢ÆÑÊϼÒÆס¢ÆÑÐÕÀ´Ô´

At least this documentary didn't show the people as poor. That's a step up. At least they didn't find some remote village in middle of nowhere to show people with no teeth.

Anyways, these guys are Chinese, they may have Arabic decent, but they are Chinese, if I know something about growing up in a "foreign" country, you can't really get use to your "home" anymore.

They won't be comfortable living in Middle east, just because they have Arabic roots.

Of course they are Chinese today. Who said anything else? Their Arab ancestors arrived to China 700 years ago. But their paternal line is still that of Arabs. They are conscious of their origin, their forefathers religion, culture, language etc. As you see some of them even are practicing Muslims and one of the Ding's in that clip even spoke fluent Arabic and taught the language to other Ding's.

As an Arab I find that really fascinating.

I have never heard about any Arab that has a problem with China. In fact many of us would prefer a even stronger cooperation with China, I at least.

Why do you think that they would not be comfortable with living in the Middle East? The Arab world is very cosmopolitan. The teacher of Arabic in that clip obviously did not have a problem since he stayed, probably in KSA (since the documentary mentioned that he studied at the holiest of cities in Arabia) for 6 years.

The majority of Muslims in China today are the Hui people who from my knowledge are Han Chinese - just Muslim ones, some Kazakhs and a small group of Tajiks in Xinjiang and then the Uyghur people who are of Turkic/Mongolian stock.

Correct me if I am wrong.

There are three families that I know of.

Pu - 蒲 from Abu. Many Arabs took this as their surname as they settled in southeastern China in the Song dynasty. The Chinese writer Pu Songling, is believed by some to be descended from one of these families.

¡¶ÁÄÕ«Ö¾Òì¡·×÷ÕßÆÑËÉÁäȷϵ»Ø×å

http://www.gzlib.gov.cn/shequ_info/gzfengwu/GZfengwuDetail.do?column=CTWHYS&id=1276

Guo - 郭 - this family is descended from a Persian.

Ding - 丁 - they are descended from Sayyid Ajall Shams ad-Din, a Sayyid from a noble family in Bukhara.

The Mongols brought many Persians and Arabs to China to serve under their government when they took over China. During the Ispah Rebellion, the Persians and Arabs revolted against the Mongols and there was a general free for all slaughter taking place in Quanzhou among the different peoples living in the city. Many families fled to outlying areas where they live today or to other parts of China.

CHINESE-IRANIAN RELATIONS vii. SE. China ? Encyclopaedia Iranica

The Pu family was exiled from Quanzhou to other cities in China after the Mongols were overthrown, because one of their ancestors had surrendered the city and defected during the Mongol invasion. This is how they were scattered to other provinces in China.

°²Ïª·¢ÏÖ°¢À*²®ºóÒáÆÑÐÕĹÔá - ÆÑÊÏ×ÚÇ×Íø¡ª¡ªÆÑ¡¢ÆÑÐÕ¡¢ÆÑÊϼÒÆס¢ÆÑÐÕÀ´Ô´

Thank you very much. That sounds very interesting. People that claim to be or are Sadah (plural of a Sayyid) are descendants of Prophet Muhammad (saws).

Do you know when the Pu family arrived to China? Was it during the Song dynasty? Thank you.

Interesting extract from a documentary about China. I would never have thought that the relations are that old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmZGDMrnwzE&feature=player_embedded#!

Sino-Arab relations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of Islam in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Islam in China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This Ding family must be that Arab-Chinese family a Chinese member spoke about in the "Syrian civil war" thread not long ago. A shame that they lost their lost their religion.

Amazing really.

Do anyone know where I can find the remaining documentary? Or the name of that documentary?

if you remember the prophet saying 'if you need to go to china for education then go".

Of course they are Chinese today. Who said anything else? Their Arab ancestors arrived to China 700 years ago. But their paternal line is still that of Arabs. They are conscious of their origin, their forefathers religion, culture, language etc. As you see some of them even are practicing Muslims and one of the Ding's in that clip even spoke fluent Arabic and taught the language to other Ding's.

As an Arab I find that really fascinating.

I have never heard about any Arab that has a problem with China. In fact many of us would prefer a even stronger cooperation with China, I at least.

Why do you think that they would not be comfortable with living in the Middle East? The Arab world is very cosmopolitan. The teacher of Arabic in that clip obviously did not have a problem since he stayed, probably in KSA (since the documentary mentioned that he studied at the holiest of cities in Arabia) for 6 years.

The majority of Muslims in China today are the Hui people who from my knowledge are Han Chinese - just Muslim ones, some Kazakhs and a small group of Tajiks in Xinjiang and then the Uyghur people who are of Turkic/Mongolian stock.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you very much. That sounds very interesting. People that claim to be or are Sadah (plural of a Sayyid) are descendants of Prophet Muhammad (saws).

Do you know when the Pu family arrived to China? Was it during the Song dynasty? Thank you.

They arrived during the Song.

Hui are all Chinese speaking Muslims. They are mixed origin. Some are entirely Chinese converts and others are mixed Chinese with central asian. DNA testing will show both Chinese and foreign y chromosomes among them.

Uyghur people are mixed from Tocharians and Turkic people. They are native to the Tarim Basin, in southern Xinjiang.

Northern Xinjiang however, is the home of the Buddhist Dzunghars and Kazakhs. After China and the Uyghurs defeated and massacred the Dzunghars in 1758, this area became subjected to Han, Uyghur and Hui settlement.

All Chinese governments have sent almost all Han migrants to northern Xinjiang, and avoided flooded the Tarim Basin with non Uyghurs. However, the Soviet Union backed separatist Uyghur elements in Xinjiang, during the Ili Rebellion and Sino Soviet split and gave them the idea that the entire province, including the north is their native land. The Uyghur separatist leader Ehmetjan Qasim was a Soviet communist party member and the Second East Turkestan Republic was a Soviet sattelite.

Ili Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Soviets were forced to derail their little project because the Communists won the Civil war in China, they did not want either side to win because they wanted to eventually annex Xinjiang as a Soviet Republic. They then started supporting Uyghur separatists against during the Sino-Soviet split.

This is why China supported the Afghan Mujahideen against the Soviet Union, because they were sponsoring Uyghur separatists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtGbYmKRJAY

What is that? This is amazing. Who would have thought this? No wonder that you Chinese are putting all others to shame. Helps being 1.3 billion people but still impressive.

Actually when I think about it then there are quite a lot of Arab students in China. I know a Sudanese girl who moved to Shanghai for studies. She is learning Chinese and last time I talked to her she was picking the language up quite quickly.

Now I want to visit China.;)

They arrived during the Song.

Hui are all Chinese speaking Muslims. They are mixed origin. Some are entirely Chinese converts and others are mixed Chinese with central asian. DNA testing will show both Chinese and foreign y chromosomes among them.

Uyghur people are mixed from Tocharians and Turkic people. They are native to the Tarim Basin, in southern Xinjiang.

Northern Xinjiang however, is the home of the Buddhist Dzunghars and Kazakhs. After China and the Uyghurs defeated and massacred the Dzunghars in 1758, this area became subjected to Han, Uyghur and Hui settlement.

All Chinese governments have sent almost all Han migrants to northern Xinjiang, and avoided flooded the Tarim Basin with non Uyghurs. However, the Soviet Union backed separatist Uyghur elements in Xinjiang, during the Ili Rebellion and Sino Soviet split and gave them the idea that the entire province, including the north is their native land. The Uyghur separatist leader Ehmetjan Qasim was a Soviet communist party member and the Second East Turkestan Republic was a Soviet sattelite.

Ili Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Soviets were forced to derail their little project because the Communists won the Civil war in China, they did not want either side to win because they wanted to eventually annex Xinjiang as a Soviet Republic. They then started supporting Uyghur separatists against during the Sino-Soviet split.

This is why China supported the Afghan Mujahideen against the Soviet Union, because they were sponsoring Uyghur separatists.

:tup:

How do I write "thank you very much" in Chinese scripture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtGbYmKRJAY

What is that? This is amazing. Who would have thought this? No wonder that you Chinese are putting all others to shame. Helps being 1.3 billion people but still impressive.

Actually when I think about it then there are quite a lot of Arab students in China. I know a Sudanese girl who moved to Shanghai for studies. She is learning Chinese and last time I talked to her she was picking the language up quite quickly.

Now I want to visit China.;)

:tup:

How do I write "thank you very much" in Chinese scripture?

我很謝謝你. - "I thank you very much"

我很謝謝你. - "I thank you very much"

Chinese scripture is really interesting and looks quite beautiful. Must be really difficult to learn it. People think that Arabic is difficult but I believe that Chinese might be even more difficult at least the scripture.

我很謝謝你

:china:

Back
Top Bottom