What's new

Sayyids in The Indian Sub-Continent

Most Syed in South Asia are Shia because the Shia Syeds were persecited by Ummayads and came eastward. In Sindh and Southern Punjab there were two Sultanates both were Shia Ismaili which paid nominal allegiance to the Caliph and many Shias sought refuge in these areas. It was only during the Ghaznavids and after that Sunni Islam became the majority sect of South Asia.

Most of the Sunni Syeds came later when Muslims had conquered most of India to spread Islam and most came through Iran which is why the Shah surname will be found amongst Syeds who have family roots in Persia and most of the Shahs will be Sunni. Then there are those from Bukhara as well. They are more likely to use Bukhari as a surname.

Shias were followers of Hazrat Ali in his life time. Read about it. And thanks, lets keep to the topic.

Disagree Ali R.A was Muslim and follower of Prophet Muhammad P.B.U.H the first youngster to revert to Islam he would have never wanted people to follow him religiously as worshipers, followers as Caliph yes. Next I desist from reading specific sect's baseless books.

No problem won't comment any more this is the last post and hope not to see replies from the opposite side.

Abu Nasar, I think Sherlock is a good poster he has some misconceptions hope it is cleared to him in life by researching more I have done research always and ask people to do research.

My driver is Pushtun Sayyid [calls himself sunni] can't read Quran at all but his wife reads it good and fast and he sometimes in funny way does hera phari but I forgive him without telling him that I have noticed.

Last edited:
Disagree Ali R.A was Muslim and follower of Prophet Muhammad P.B.U.H the first youngster to revert to Islam he would have never wanted people to follow him religiously as worshipers, followers as Caliph yes. Next I desist from reading specific sect's baseless books.

No problem won't comment any more this is the last post and hope not to see replies from the opposite side.

Abu Nasar, I think Sherlock is a good poster he has some misconceptions hope it is cleared to him in life by researching more I have done research always and ask people to do research.

My driver is Pushtun Sayyid [calls himself sunni] can't read Quran at all but his wife reads it good and fast and he sometimes in funny way does hera phari but I forgive him without telling him that I have noticed.

You know we should not only teach our kids to read the Qur'an, but to understand it as well. The issues we face today is because we are dependent on some Peer/ Mullah/ Maulvi, who has an interpretation, that is totally alien to Islam.

Most Syed in South Asia are Shia because the Shia Syeds were persecited by Ummayads and came eastward. In Sindh and Southern Punjab there were two Sultanates both were Shia Ismaili which paid nominal allegiance to the Caliph and many Shias sought refuge in these areas. It was only during the Ghaznavids and after that Sunni Islam became the majority sect of South Asia.

Most of the Sunni Syeds came later when Muslims had conquered most of India to spread Islam and most came through Iran which is why the Shah surname will be found amongst Syeds who have family roots in Persia and most of the Shahs will be Sunni. Then there are those from Bukhara as well. They are more likely to use Bukhari as a surname.

Probably 99% of the Syeds in South Asia are Fakes !

Including yourself ! :whistle:

After all how the hell does a Syed who ought to be an Arab becomes a Punjabi & then later an American Indian ! :crazy:

Probably 99% of the Syeds in South Asia are Fakes !

Including yourself ! :whistle:

After all how the hell does a Syed who ought to be an Arab becomes a Punjabi & then later an American Indian ! :crazy:
NO personal insults, please. Thank You!

In central punjab syed is synonymous with shia, which mean majority syed in central punjab are shias.

That is NOT true. This is your language.. As there are tens of thousands of Sunni Sayyid families in Central Punjab (the big majority). Among the most prominent are Shaykh Jalaluddin Shah's Family.

You know we should not only teach our kids to read the Qur'an, but to understand it as well. The issues we face today is because we are dependent on some Peer/ Mullah/ Maulvi, who has an interpretation, that is totally alien to Islam.

In short these characters have made Religion difficult and no outsider wants to revert to Islam when he/she hears Mullah says you'll need to do a thousand things in a day.

Anyway I don't want to derail OP's thread this should be discussed outside on unbiased neutral religious forum.

Sahiwal, Jamia Faridia, Sunni Sayyids of Punjab

Lahore - Faisalabad, Sayyids of Punjab, Pakistan

Egyptian Sayyid in Pakistan

Gujranwala, Sayyids of Punjab

Last edited:
Burewala, Punjab, Sayyids of Punjab

Kasur

Faisalabad, Sayyids of Punjab

Jamia Rizvia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom