What's new

Arab World and China Cooperation and News.

Well, PDF (the internet as a whole) is often prone to such outbursts without looking at the overall or wider picture.
I wrote 1 month ago that I fully understood if Pakistan did not want to get itself involved in Yemen (even if the presence would be very limited) as Pakistan has many challenges to face on their own at home.

In fact I have always wanted for the Arab world to fully deal with our own problems. To tell you honestly then it has always annoyed me greatly when certain Arab states have "relied" or at least made it appear like they relied on outsiders on issues that they should be able to deal with on their own.
So in fact all I want is diplomatic support from our allies. That's it. So far the KSA and the coalition has done everything on their own. In case of sending land troops to Yemen then it should be KSA and its Arab allies on their own too IMO.
The Arab world is home to almost 400 million people. We have endless resources. Manpower. All weaponry necessary, money etc.
We should be able to deal with our own problems no matter how big they are. The only problem has been internal rivalries and currently societies in chaos. All in the middle of a financial crisis that is felt everywhere including in the GCC.

This is why the decision of the Arab League to create a joint Arab force that can deal with our own internal matters is a very encouraging news. I hope that it will come to fruition and not remain as just talk.

Also I have to stress that I don't consider Pakistani Shias nor Arab Shias or regular Shias as enemies. The "Shias" that I and most of us Arabs consider as enemies currently are the Wilayat al-Faqih (Mullah regime supporters) and their agents in the Arab world whose crimes and agenda we Arabs know all too well.
Most outsiders do not understand the full picture so they will look at this as a sectarian fight when it's all about politics first and foremost. Had our enemies been atheists they would have shouted sectarianism too. In fact I don't care what those enemies believe in or not. Or if they even believe in anything. Their actions alone is reason to be against them.

The Houthi cult which by no means speaks for the Zaydi Yemeni Muslims are part of our enemies and they make no secret of it.

My view is close to the view of Khalaf al-Habtoor below.

A salute to our heroes liberating Yemen

r1ydt2.jpg

Khalaf Ahmad al Habtoor
On Thursday, I awoke to news that brought peace of mind and filled my heart with pride, feelings I’m certain are shared by my Emirati compatriots and nationals of GCC states, and all dignified Arabs. Finally, we have taken command of our own destiny and control of our own security. For many decades, I’ve been longing for this very moment. Just when Yemen was going the way of Lebanon, Syria and Iraq – all Arab countries under Iranian domination via proxies – the tide is turning in our favour as I write.

It goes without saying that conflict should always be a last option, but there can be no meaningful dialogue with the Islamic Republic of Iran, a nation with ambitions of reinstating the Persian Empire and quashing Arabs under its boot, just as it has stamped upon Sunnis and ethnic/religious minorities in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq as well as the long-suffering Ahwazi Arabs.

Perhaps Iran can succeed in pulling the wool over the eyes of the P5 +1 whose representatives are negotiating over Tehran’s uranium enrichment program, but it cannot con its Gulf neighbours, who’ve fallen foul of Iran’s tricks time and time again.

There should be no stopping until Yemen is cleansed of pro-Iranian traitors and the legitimate government is reinstated in the capital, Sana’a. There should be no concessions made to the Shiite Houthi militias; those Iranian operatives have forfeited the right to call themselves ‘Arab’. They are betrayers deserving of the severest of punishments.

Ultimate betrayal
Fighters who choose to surrender do not merit trials; they should be shipped to their ideological motherland, Iran. Their actions - dissolving parliament, ejecting the democratically-elected president, taking over government buildings and terrorising Yemenis from north to south - constitute the ultimate betrayal.

I’ve observed Iran’s ideological and geopolitical expansion with great sorrow - and have long feared that without strong actions to thwart Iran’s aims, Gulf States risk being targeted next. But now that Saudi Arabia has launched “Operation Decisive Storm” together with its Gulf allies in Yemen’s defence at the request of the internationally-recognised government led by Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, I feel that a positive new page has been turned. This is what we have been hoping-for; this is what our people want.

Militias who make obeisance to the ayatollahs and have made armed incursions into Saudi Arabia cannot be permitted control over Yemen’s airplanes, missiles, tanks and other military equipment. And neither can they be trusted not to hold siege to the Bab el-Mandeb Strait that not only connects the Red sea with the Indian Ocean but is also a link to the Suez Canal.

We don’t require a green light from anyone to defend our land

Kudos to those GCC leaders who were courageous enough to take the right decisions! History will record this brave stance you have taken to defend Yemen’s sovereignty and our region’s security. Today, we have leaders willing to lead rather than follow diktats from big powers. Your names will be engraved on monuments and will remain in the hearts of our children and grandchildren. Bravo! May God help you always to do what is best for our Arab nation!

Defensive military intervention
‘Decisive Storm’ is the perfect name for this defensive military intervention taken by the descendants of some of the greatest Arab leaders beginning with the Prophet Mohamed (PBUH), whose victorious mantel was adopted by the second Muslim Caliph Omar ibn Al-Khattab, commander of the Muslim armies who defeated Khosrau, King of Persia and Heraclius, the Byzantine Emperor.

We are showing Iran and the world that we will no longer bury our heads in the sand while keeping up the pretence that all is well. We are displaying our strength with a massive show of military might thanks also to staunch backing from our allies – Egypt, Sudan, Jordan, Morocco and Pakistan, which have all pledged to contribute to this righteous battle. Thank you to all our friends who didn’t hesitate to stand with their Yemeni brothers in their hour of need.

It is my hope that the Arab League Summit to be held in Sharm el-Sheikh on March 28-29 will be just as decisive in its backing of a Joint Arab Force able to tackle any emergency in our part of the world. We can no longer rely on our western allies to do the job for us, especially when their foreign policies are muddled and incoherent. The U.S. is courting Iran in Switzerland and sharing intelligence with the Iranian military supposedly ‘advising’ the Iraqi Army in its campaign against the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), even as it supports the Syrian opposition battling Iranian Revolutionary Guards and Hezbollah defending the criminal Assad regime.

I must admit that I’ve been irritated watching Western and Arab analysts discuss Yemen on various television networks. Invariably, presenters all ask the same question: Was ‘Decisive Storm’ launched with approval from the Obama administration? What kind of question is that?

Treated like underage children
We don’t require a green light from anyone to defend our land, the safety of our peoples or our collective dignity. As a nation of 367 million, acknowledged as the birthplace of civilisation, we resent being treated like underage children. We neither need nor should seek permission from anyone.

It is my fervent hope that once Yemen is delivered from the Houthi epidemic, this Saudi-led coalition made-up of ten likeminded countries will be preserved and will turn its attention of freeing Iraq from Persian occupation. Iraq must be ruled by loyal Arabs, whether Sunni or Shiite, not those on bended knee to a foreign state working against Arab interests.

And, God willing, the day will come when our beloved Lebanon and Syria will no more be enslaved to Iran’s bullying proxies, provided our leaders keep up this historic patriotic impetus. If we don’t free our Arab territories from the silent diseases tearing them apart, the peoples of the Gulf and those of our allies will remain in constant danger.

Lastly, I must congratulate our GCC leaders. You have made us proud. Your firm action permits us to hold our heads high; I pray that you will continue to defend our nation, our independence and our dignity. And to our armed forces, especially our pilots that risk their lives during every mission, I wish you every success. Keep safe and may God strengthen you in your task of protecting our Arab soil, our Yemeni brothers and sisters and our honour.

-------------------------------

Khalaf Ahmad al-Habtoor is a prominent UAE businessman and public figure. He is Chairman of the Al Habtoor Group - one of the most successful conglomerates in the Gulf. Al Habtoor is renowned for his knowledge and views on international political affairs; his philanthropic activity; his efforts to promote peace; and the has long acted as an unofficial ambassador for his country abroad.
Writing extensively on both local and international politics, he publishes regular articles in the media and has released a number of books.
Al-Habtoor began his career as an employee of a local UAE construction firm and in 1970 established his own company, Al Habtoor Engineering. The UAE Federation, which united the seven emirates under the one flag for the first time, was founded in 1971 and this inspired him to undertake a series of innovative construction projects – all of which proved highly successful.

Last Update: Friday, 27 March 2015 KSA 09:53 - GMT 06:53

@Halimi
What the fvck from AL Ebria !

Yemen is a traditional Shia country and it's Shia movement has nothing to do with Iran. Saudis after discovering oil have killed a huge number of Yemeni Shiites they will pay for blood of innocent Yemenis.

What the fvck from AL Ebria !

Yemen is a traditional Shia country and it's Shia movement has nothing to do with Iran. Saudis after discovering oil have killed a huge number of Yemeni Shiites they will pay for blood of innocent Yemenis.

Will you please stop writing in every single Arab topic on PDF while trolling?

First of all there are no Shia Twelvers in Yemen. The Shias who form between 30-40% of Yemen's population are Zaydi Muslims. Zaydis recognize the 4 rightly guided Caliphs and have more in common with mainstream Sunni Muslims than Shia Twelvers. Especially the Hanafi and Shafi'i madahib. Yemen was always majority Sunni Muslim (Shafi'i) while the North was a Zaydi stronghold.

The reason why all of Horn of Africa, Swahili coastline, large areas of Southern India and entire South East Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia which is the most populous Muslim country in the world) is following the Shafi'i fiqh mainly is due to Yemeni and Hijazi merchants and sailors who spread Islam (Shafi'i) to those regions of the world.

Now this is off-topic.

Agree with everything you've outlined above.

Just to add: a Shia who opposes Iran and its hegemony is dearer to me than a Sunni who allies with Iran and furthers its cause.

In Lebanon, I can name plenty of Shia who fit into that category, and I have nothing but respect for them.

Agree with everything you've outlined above.

Just to add: a Shia who opposes Iran and its hegemony is dearer to me than a Sunni who allies with Iran and furthers its cause.

In Lebanon, I can name plenty of Shia who fit into that category, and I have nothing but respect for them.

Exactly my brother. Same story everywhere in the Arab world. I agree with your example fully.

In particular I respect the Shia Twelver Lebanese cleric Muhammad Ali al-Husseini a lot. He is better than certain Sunni clerics.

I am sure that you already listened to this speech that he held in Iraq;

Although we as Sunni Muslims might disagree with Shia theology (especially the Shia Twelver version and even more so the Wilayat al-Faqih ) then Arab Shias will remain our compatriots, brothers and sisters. Even the non-Arab Shias are our brothers and sisters in faith and humanity.

The likes of them who support the misery of the Arab people and nation are our eternal enemies and will only be met with hostility. . I don't care about their origin, skin color, social status, family history etc. Each and every one of them is an enemy. Arab or non-Arab alike.

Unfortuantely we went off-topic but the reason is clear, lol.

Lastly Insha'Allah Lebanon will be liberated from those filth in a not so distant future. We hold Lebanon in a special regard as do most Arabs no matter where they are from.

mod edit removed insults

Last edited by a moderator:
Back on topic (kind of anyway).

I wonder when Chinese-GCC cooperation will extend to the military realm. Clearly the Chinese are starting to translate their economic power into military advancement (as a collective and on individual platforms), so I wonder how the GCC will begin to express its interest in what China has to offer.

Of course, Gulf States tend to go for quality and China isn't quite there yet relative to US-EU products, but it might be within a decade or so.

Exactly my brother. Same story everywhere in the Arab world. I agree with your example fully.

In particular I respect the Shia Twelver Lebanese cleric Muhammad Ali al-Husseini a lot. He is better than certain Sunni clerics.

I am sure that you already listened to this speech that he held in Iraq;

Although we as Sunni Muslims might disagree with Shia theology (especially the Shia Twelver version and even more so the Wilayat al-Faqih ) then Arab Shias will remain our compatriots, brothers and sisters. Even the non-Arab Shias are our brothers and sisters in faith and humanity.

The likes of them who support the misery of the Arab people and nation are our eternal enemies and will only be met with hostility. . I don't care about their origin, skin color, social status, family history etc. Each and every one of them is an enemy. Arab or non-Arab alike.

Unfortuantely we went off-topic but the reason is clear, lol.

Lastly Insha'Allah Lebanon will be liberated from those filth in a not so distant future. We hold Lebanon in a special regard as do most Arabs no matter where they are from.

mod edit removed insults
Hi I have taken liberty of removing some insults and slurs from your otherwise better post.
please ensure that you avoid expletives . we all have differences and extreme likes and dislikes I respect that and acknowledge that but look at the example of Dr Shabbir Ally and his debates with Christians see how respectful they remain while giving their differing arguments.

take care and wasalam

Back on topic (kind of anyway).

I wonder when Chinese-GCC cooperation will extend to the military realm. Clearly the Chinese are starting to translate their economic power into military advancement (as a collective and on individual platforms), so I wonder how the GCC will begin to express its interest in what China has to offer.

Of course, Gulf States tend to go for quality and China isn't quite there yet relative to US-EU products, but it might be within a decade or so.

Hopefully not in a too distant future. Cooperation nowadays is much more than just an exchange of natural resources for money. I guess that the increasing technological and educational cooperation will be a springboard to the military one.

Hi I have taken liberty of removing some insults and slurs from your otherwise better post.
please ensure that you avoid expletives . we all have differences and extreme likes and dislikes I respect that and acknowledge that but look at the example of Dr Shabbir Ally and his debates with Christians see how respectful they remain while giving their differing arguments.

take care and wasalam

I don't recall writing any insults but if I did, I hereby apologize.
As I said, I don't care about sect, skin color, ethnic origin etc.
I do however reserve the right to be against regimes and their supporters who are hellbent on hurting Arabs and the Arab world.

Mohammad Bin Zayed receives Chinese official

Two sides discuss ways to strengthen cooperation and build strategic partnerships

PUBLISHED: 21:31 MAY 3, 2015

Abu Dhabi: His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, yesterday received Chao Lee, Member of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, and acting Deputy Prime Minister, and his delegation.

Shaikh Mohammad welcomed the Chinese guest and his delegation, and discussed bilateral relations and cooperation between the UAE and China, and ways to develop them in the best interests of the two countries and people.

The Chinese official conveyed greetings from the Chinese leadership to President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, and its wishes of greater progress and prosperity for the UAE and its people.

He lauded the UAE leadership’s keenness to boost its strategic relations with his country in the areas of friendship, cooperation, mutual respect and common interests.

Opportunities

Shaikh Mohammad and Chao discussed avenues of cooperation in various political and economic fields, and stressed their aspiration to make the most of their potential as well as opportunities available to further develop joint ventures and investment projects.

The two sides highlighted the importance of building partnerships, and the significance of the Silk Road project and its associated development projects as a vital bridge between countries in the region and China, to further enhance bilateral cooperation, cultural understanding and communication and trade.

Shaikh Mohammad underlined the role of China as a key and influential player on the global arena, and expressed the hope that China would continue its intensive efforts in cooperation with the international community in tackling many security, political and economic issues in relation to the region’s stability.

Mohammad Bin Zayed receives Chinese official | GulfNews.com

Yuan gaining clout in GCC

Issac John (Associate Business Editor) / 7 May 2015

Adoption of currency by local businesses will boost trade with China.

Dubai: The Chinese currency, which is widely expected to be voted as a global reserve currency, is fast gaining clout in the GCC on the back of a significant jump in transactions resulting from increased cross-border trade and investment flows between China, the Gulf and the wider Middle East region, Credit Agricole Private Banking said.

“As the GCC’s largest trading partner, China is seen more to play an important role in the region’s businesses, and particularly in regards to commodity-related activities and joint infrastructure investment projects. China is also using the region, particularly the UAE, as a strategic hub for conducting business with Africa and wider Middle East,” said Davis Hall, global head of foreign exchange and precious metals advisory, Credit Agricole Private Banking.

He said the adoption of the Chinese yuan by local businesses would further boost trade and investments between China and the GCC countries.

In April, Qatar opened the Middle East’s first centre for clearing transactions in the Chinese yuan to enable the boom in trade and investment between the world’s second largest economy and the Gulf. The launch of the region’s first renminbi clearing centre in Doha was aimed at creating the necessary platform to realise the full potential of Qatar and the region’s trade relationship with China, Qatar’s central bank governor Shaikh Abdullah bin Saud Al Thani said.

The central banks of the UAE and China also are in the process of activating their 35 billion yuan ($5.7 billion) currency swap agreement. The agreement, designed to facilitate two-way trade and investment, was originally signed in January 2012, permitting the central banks to swap their currencies if needed.

It is estimated that by 2020, China will be the biggest export market for the GCC, and Chinese investment in the GCC is on the uptick, mostly in wholesale and retail trade, with a marked increase in Saudi Arabia. Gulf companies have secured comparatively few refinery projects in China, in contrast, and portfolio investments have been limited.

“Over the last few decades, China has become one of the world’s largest consumers of industrial commodities, with a global consumption level of 46 per cent. This is leading to the upcoming IMF approval vote in November 2015 in regards to the Chinese yuan’s status as a potential global reserve currency. If the IMF votes the Chinese yuan as a global reserve currency, its value may outperform GCC currencies over time and consistently chip away the default position enjoyed by the US dollar as a global reserve currency over the last few decades,” the bank said.

“The inevitable albeit gradual internationalisation of the Chinese yuan will steadily attract investors of all sorts to this counterbalancing global reserve alternative. Many countries are recognising this eventuality and setting up necessary platforms to fully leverage existing and future trade relationships. Interestingly, Qatar recently set up the region’s first offshore Chinese yuan clearing centre to facilitate greater trade and economic links between China and the GCC region,” said Hall.

“At present, the hydrocarbon economies of the GCC region use the US dollar much more than the Chinese yuan as most GCC currencies are pegged to the US dollar and it is the default currency for oil trading. This oil-US dollar-peg connection also leads GCC countries to hold most of their huge forex reserves in US dollars. Another aspect is that currently the Chinese yuan is not a fully convertible currency which limits its attraction as a reserve currency for central banks,” Crédit Agricole said.

“Nevertheless, this present situation could evolve as cross-border trade (oil and non-oil) volumes rapidly grow. With the recent trends in oil prices, never before has the price evolution of a single commodity so directly influenced the foreign exchange markets.”

“The knock-on effects of the Opec’s decision to protect market share and maintain output levels last November has sent shock waves and FX dominos falling. The impact of this oil-specific catalyst has served to draw the sleepy FX markets out of hibernation and into trending motion. The undesirable side-effect has been to see a resurging US dollar with all the pegged GCC currencies in tow,” added Hall.

issacjohn@khaleejtimes.com

Business - Yuan gaining clout in GCC

Joint China, Arab efforts on "Belt and Road" initiative beneficial to regional prosperity: senior Chinese official
English.news.cn | 2015-05-27 01:25:15 | Editor: huaxia
CcrbeeE005031_20150526_CRMFN0A001_11n.jpg

Wang Zhengwei, vice chairman of the National Committee of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), is delivering a speech at the sixth session of the Conference of Arab-Chinese Businessmen in Beirut, Lebanon, on May 26, 2015. (Xinhua Photo)

BEIRUT, May 26 (Xinhua) -- The joint effort by China and the Arab world to implement the "Belt and Road" initiative will further enhance regional economic cooperation and help promote stability and prosperity in the area, a senior Chinese political adviser said on Tuesday.

Wang Zhengwei, vice chairman of the National Committee of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), made the remarks while addressing the sixth session of the Conference of Arab-Chinese Businessmen.

He said China and the Arab world enjoy long-running friendship, strong political ties and economic complementarity, as well as growing trade connections.

The Chinese official called on both sides to build a community of common destiny and shared interests for a better and brighter future.

Also in his speech, Wang urged the two sides to step up their strategic energy cooperation, increase two-way trade and mutual investment, boost inter-connectivity of their infrastructure, and promote exchanges between the industrial and business communities of the two.

CcrbeeE005031_20150526_CRMFN0A002_11n.jpg

Lebanon's Prime Minister Tammam Salam is delivering a speech at the sixth session of the Conference of Arab-Chinese Businessmen in Beirut, Lebanon, on May 26, 2015. (Xinhua Photo)

Lebanon's Prime Minister Tammam Salam also attended the opening session. He said his country is "looking forward to playing a key role in the economic course of Silk Road initiative due to its special (geographic) position."

The "Belt and Road" initiative was proposed by Chinese President Xi Jinping in 2013, and is aimed at reviving the ancient trade routes that span Asia, Africa and Europe.

"The Arab-Chinese Businessmen Forum constitutes the key pillar of cooperation between the Arab world and China. This event also coincides with the 60th anniversary of the first trade agreement between Lebanon and China," Salam said.

CcrbeeE005031_20150526_CRMFN0A003_11n.jpg

Wang Zhengwei, vice chairman of the National Committee of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC) (2nd R), shakes hand withLebanon's Prime Minister Tammam Salam (1st L), at the sixth session of the Conference of Arab-Chinese Businessmen in Beirut, Lebanon, on May 26, 2015. (Xinhua Photo)

"China has become the largest trading partner for Lebanon, and we expect this partnership to extend owing to the new horizons of cooperation," he added.

Salam also indicated that Lebanon is determined to join the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).

The AIIB is designed to finance infrastructure construction in the continent. It will have authorized capital of 100 billion U.S. dollars and the initial subscribed capital is expected to be around 50 billion dollars.

The bank, which will be headquartered in Beijing, is expected to be officially established at the end of 2015.

The two-day forum is held to introduce China's "Belt and Road" initiative to local businesses, and to deepen bilateral cooperation in areas such as energy, agricultural, food, machinery, light industry, textiles, infrastructure, finance, and investment.

Joint China, Arab efforts on "Belt and Road" initiative beneficial to regional prosperity: senior Chinese official - Xinhua | English.news.cn

@Chinese-Dragon @ChineseTiger1986 @Wholegrain

China makes political inroads in the Arab world
Muhammad Zulfikar Rakhmat
Friday 6 June 2014 15:41 BST

china-arabafp.jpg

To boost its great power ambitions and its stance in the Arab world, China is using foreign policy to deepen involvement with the region​

The tenth anniversary of China-Arab States Cooperation Forum (CASCF) was celebrated in Beijing this week. The forum, which was originally founded in 2004, brings together delegates from both Arab states and the Arab League with their Chinese counterparts to review their past achievements and to discuss further efforts to strengthen their partnership in different fields.

This year's meeting underlined how over the past 10 years, the relationship between China and the Arab world has developed significantly beyond political and diplomatic domains. As highlighted by Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, Sino-Arab economic ties has grown rapidly from $25.5 billion to nearly $240 billion in the past decade.

These years have also witnessed expanding cooperation in the fields of culture, education, and even new energy betwen the two sides.

During the meeting, both the Chinese and the Arab sides also pledged to strengthen their cooperation in the coming years. Taking into consideration several factors, it is no surprise for both the Arabs and the Chinese to be interested in upgrading their relationship into another level.

It cannot be ignored that energy is the main driving factor behind the growing Sino-Arab partnership. Over the past years, China has become increasingly dependent on Middle East petroleum and does not have a short-term alternative source of oil, considering that its own petroleum fields are almost fully depleted.

China’s petroleum imports will grow exponentially in the coming years, and oil from the Middle East will account for much of that increase. However, this will not likely only be a one-way trade relationship.

Arabs view China as a huge potential market for their petroleum exports. With oil demand having plunged after the global financial crisis and the outlook remaining grim for most of the industrialised world, the Arab oil producing countries have paid much more attention on securing access to China, which remains, and will continue to be, the world’s fastest growing energy market.

At the same time, Beijing is eager to gain untouched consumer markets in the Middle East for its exports and fruitful investment opportunities. Over the past 10 years, the trade volume between China and Arab nations has increased rapidly, making China the second largest trading partner of the Arab world.

Leading the list of Beijing’s exports to the Middle East are Chinese manufactured electronics, cars, textiles, foods, and heavy industrial equipments. There is also an increasing number of Chinese companies across the Arab world. Several Middle East countries such as Saudi Arabia and Kuwait have also started to invest in China.

The promising potential of Sino-Arab cooperation in trade has been indicated by the increasing institutional ties such as China-GCC Free Trade Agreement and a Framework Agreement on Economic Trade, Investment, and Technological Cooperation signed in 2004. The Chinese and the Arabs also made clear to the public their commitment to increasing trade volume in the next coming years.

In addition to its economic element, China’s increasing aspiration in the Arab world should also be viewed from a geopolitical viewpoint. As a growing political and military power on the international arena, Beijing is committed to projecting power outside its East Asian realm of influence and possibly matching other powers in the region.

To boost its great power ambitions and its stance in the Arab world, China’s foreign policy is forging deeper involvement with countries of the region. Strengthening ties with the Arabs will provide the Chinese a door of opportunity to boost its international position and to improve its stance as a major economic power.

At the same time, for the Arabs, a strong relationship with China will offer them a way to diversify their international relationships and to minimise their reliance on the Western world, particularly Washington.

It cannot be ignored that for many Arab countries it is now becoming politically uncomfortable to be too reliant on the West. Engaging in new relations with China, a country that has a well-established policy of non-interference when it comes to internal affairs of other country, a lack of aggressive history in the region, and is one of the permanent members of UN Security Council, will offer them with diversity in foreign policies and a bargaining chip with the West.

There is no doubt that given current circumstances, the blooming Sino-Arab relations is expected to grow in the coming future. This relationship also has the potential to develop into sectors that the West may not want to see. As signaled by Wang during the meeting, the Chinese and the Arab governments are increasingly interested in expanding their ties, particularly in developing industries like nuclear energy.

- Muhammad Zulfikar Rakhmat has lived in the Middle East for seven years. He holds a BA in International Affairs from Qatar University and is currently a research assistant at the same university. His main areas of concentration are China-Middle East relations, Indonesia-Gulf ties, and human rights.

The views expressed in this article belong to the author and do not necessarily reflect the editorial policy of Middle East Eye.

Photo credit: Chinese President Xi Jinping (R) shakes hands with Moroccan Foreign Minister Salaheddine Mezouar (L) during the opening ceremony of the 6th ministerial meeting of the China-Arab Cooperation Forum at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing on June 5 (AFP)

- See more at: China makes political inroads in the Arab world | Middle East Eye

China makes political inroads in the Arab world | Middle East Eye

This thread will definitely interest you @Shotgunner51

@Irfan Baloch can you or some other moderator finally change this thread title to Arab-Sino cooperation news and updates?

@Saif al-Arab
Thanks for tagging, I almost miss this thread!
good news!

@al-Hasani
I am a fan of expanding GCC-China co-operation, please tag me when you have news/article on this subject, thanks!

Like I always say:
China and GCC have very different economic strength, and share one common strait - savings (both have highest Domestic Savings Rate as % of GDP, World Bank data), the two will a powerful team!

@Shotgunner51

No doubt about that.

I will update this thread further once I take a look at the deals signed during the China-Arab States Cooperation Forum this month. I have not yet looked closely at that meeting.:cheers:

I have done some key extracts ... :cheers:

As the GCC’s largest trading partner, China
Qatar opened the Middle East’s first centre for clearing transactions in the Chinese yuan
The central banks of the UAE and China also are in the process of activating their 35 billion yuan ($5.7 billion) currency swap
It is estimated that by 2020, China will be the biggest export market for the GCC
China has become one of the world’s largest consumers of industrial commodities, with a global consumption level of 46 per cent

@Shotgunner51 @Chinese-Dragon @ChineseTiger1986 @Wholegrain and other Chinese members.

I stumbled across this page which gives a good overview of the major news between China and the Middle East (mainly Arab world obviously).

China and The Middle East

In general it seems that there is Sino-Arab news each single day. Difficult to keep track of.

I also wish that there was some footage of that China-Arab States Cooperation Forum (CASCF). This year it was apparently the 10th anniversary of that cooperation forum.

Highly recommended article.

China and the Arab world
The great well of China
Oil is bringing China and the Arab world closer economically. Politics will follow
Jun 20th 2015 | BEIJING, CAIRO AND RIYADH |

20150620_MAP004_1.jpg
FOR hundreds of years travellers have haggled over carpets, jewellery, spices and copperwork in the winding alleyways of Khan al-Khalili, Cairo’s traditional souk. Today the goods are more likely to have been mass-made in a factory in China than handcrafted in a local workshop.

Trade is central to growing ties between China and the Middle East. It has increased more than 600% in the past decade, to $230 billion in 2014. Bahrain, Egypt, Iran and Saudi Arabia all import more from China than from any other country. China is the top destination for exports from several countries in the region too, including Iran, Oman and Saudi Arabia. In April Qatar opened the Middle East’s first clearing bank to handle transactions in yuan.

The trade is driven by China’s thirst for oil. In 2015 it became the world’s biggest importer of crude, half of it—more than 3m barrels a day—from the Middle East (see chart). By 2035 China’s imports from the region will roughly double again, reckons the International Energy Agency, far exceeding that of any other nation. “This is a big shift rather than incremental change,” says Chaoling Feng of Cornell University.

20150620_MAC659_0.png
Even the Middle East’s poorer countries offer a fertile market for cheap Chinese wares. In 2013 Xi Jinping, China’s president, proposed reviving the Silk Road, an ancient trade route linking China to Persia and the Arab world. Chinese cars crowd the streets of the Egyptian, Syrian and Iranian capitals. Chinese-made clothing, toys and plastics are ubiquitous. China sells a lot of small arms too, according to the United States Institute of Peace, a think-tank in Washington, DC.

As China looks west, Arab countries turn east. In part, this reflects the revolution in the energy market wrought by fracking. America is relying more on its own shale oil and gas and buying less fuel from the Middle East. In 2000 the region exported 2.5m barrels of oil a day to America; that dropped to 1.9m by 2011. By 2035 the International Energy Agency predicts America will buy only 100,000 barrels a day and 90% of Middle Eastern oil will flow to Asia.

Arab leaders such as Egypt’s Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi are keen to woo Chinese investors. They need cash to fix their crumbling roads and dilapidated ports. Mr Sisi and almost every other Arab head of state have visited Beijing since 2012. Chinese firms are building Tehran’s metro, two harbours in Egypt and a high-speed railway between Saudi Arabia’s holy cities of Mecca and Medina. Factories in a Chinese-run special economic zone at the Suez Canal churn out plastics, carpets and clothing. On June 15th Egypt and China signed an agreement for $10 billion-worth of new projects.

So far a purely economic partnership has worked well. Few Arabs worry that China is exploiting the region—a feeling widespread south of the Sahara. But the relationship may change in time. Many leaders in the Middle East fret over a perceived American withdrawal. Although officials recognise that China does not have America’s military or diplomatic clout, some want it to help fill the void. Alan Hakim, a Lebanese minister, says China should play a “leading political role” in the region. The Gulf, which has long relied on America for security, “is looking to diversify our political relations”, says an official in the Gulf Co-operation Council, a club of six states. “China is foremost among the targets.”

China may not have the soft power of America—despite an Arabic television channel run by the state broadcaster and ever more Arabic-speakers in China—but it is finding admiration in some quarters. Authoritarians such as Mr Sisi, who took power in a coup in 2013, seek to emulate the Chinese model of economic development without political pluralism. Abusive rulers in the Middle East like the fact that China doesn’t nag them about human rights—and return the courtesy. Saudi Arabia forged diplomatic relations with China only months after the massacre of pro-democracy protesters in Beijing in 1989.

20150620_mac660.png
Beijing has long espoused a policy of “non-interference” in other countries’ internal affairs. It opposed the American-led invasion of Iraq in 2003 and has voted with Russia to block action to end Bashar Assad’s rule in Syria. It has tried to remain friendly with both Israel and the Palestinians, and with the regional foes, Iran and Saudi Arabia. It is not taking part in the coalition of 60-odd countries fighting Islamic State (IS), despite its oil interests in Iraq and unsubstantiated reports of 300 Chinese Muslims fighting there. “We don’t really have the ability to lead in solving Middle East matters, nor have we ever thought about it,” says Li Weijian of the Shanghai Institute for International Studies.

It is notable that neither Mr Xi, nor his prime minister, Li Keqiang, has set foot in the Middle East, despite visits across the world. Mr Xi postponed a visit to Saudi Arabia in April, probably to avoid commenting on its air strikes in Yemen.

Too big to be neutral for ever

But China is finding it ever harder to stay aloof. By vetoing resolutions on Syria, for example, it is seen as one of the powers supporting Mr Assad. Chinese flags were set on fire in various Arab capitals after it vetoed a UN Security Council resolution calling for Mr Assad’s removal in 2012. Despite the vetoes it is also talking with the opposition in Syria.

And it has started to play a more active role in other parts of the region. It is one of the six countries trying to negotiate a deal to curb Iran’s nuclear programme, even as it engaged in joint naval exercises with Iran last year. Its navy also protects commercial shipping from Somali pirates around the Gulf of Aden.

The tumult following the Arab spring has fostered caution: China is increasing its stores of oil and seeking to forge more friendships in the region. Still, Mr Xi says he wants to co-operate in nuclear power, aerospace technology and renewable energy. Some Chinese investors have been scared away from turbulent countries such as Yemen, where nearly 600 nationals were evacuated in March amid fighting there, but many have looked to quieter spots such as Dubai. Chinese firms are eyeing opportunities in Iran, which will open up if a nuclear deal is struck this month.

As its economic interests grow, China may be sucked into the Middle East’s snake-pit politics, whether it likes it or not. Last year Barack Obama criticised China for avoiding the fight against IS. He accused it of having been a “free rider” for too long, offering little in return for a steady flow of oil. Some Arab leaders agree.

http://www.economist.com/news/middl...-arab-world-closer-economically-politics-will

@Jungibaaz

Sir, can you please change this thread to "Sino-Arab cooperation news and updates"?

Highlights of upcoming China-Arab States Expo unveiled

CCTV.com
08-17-2015 19:40 BJT

One of the big themes of this year's 2015 China-Arab States Expo is the Belt and Road initiatives that aim to reconnect China and the Arab world economically and culturally. Organizers say a series of forums, activities and exhibitions will be held during the expo under the theme of "Uphold Silk Road Spirit, Deepen China-Arab States Cooperation."

Liu Hui, Chairman of Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region said:"China and Arab countries are natural partners to jointly realize the Belt and Road Initiative. To enhance our cooperation on this, we will set up special forums including an 'online Silk Road forum' to discuss the Belt and Road Initiatives, and hold various exhibitions and investment talks."

Enhancing practical cooperation tops agenda

The first China-Arab States Business Summit will also be held during the September 10th to 13th expo in northwest Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region. Jordan, as the "Guest Country of Honor" this year, will have a special series of events at the expo. Since 2010, various China-Arab States exchange activities have been held and 636 cooperative agreements were signed in fields such as petrochemical, light industry, and finance.

Highlights of upcoming China-Arab States Expo unveiled - CCTV News - CCTV.com English
ing.admin | August 17, 2015
YINCHUAN, China, Aug. 17, 2015 / PRNewswire — The 2015 China-Arab States Health Cooperation Forum will be held in Yinchuan, Ningxia province between September 10th and 13th. The Secretariat of the League of Arab States and the ministries of health of eight Arab countries have already confirmed their participation at the event. According to a statement provided by the organizing committee, China and Arab countries will release a joint statement concerning the medical and health cooperation and development alliance and ink a series of medical and health cooperation agreements at the forum. In addition, at the event, they plan to announce the “Yinchuan declaration” for this year’s China-Arab States Health Cooperation Forum.

As one of the six meetings and forums scheduled as part of the 2015 China-Arab States Expo, the China-Arab States Health Cooperation Forum, the main focus of which is the enhancement of the cooperation concerning pharmaceutical technologies and the drive to develop the healthcare sector, will be segmented into four key sessions: the opening ceremony and keynote speech, the seminar on cooperation in healthcare, the academic exchange meeting and the China-Arab States Health Industry Expo & Health Industry Forum. Representatives from China and Arab countries plan to discuss how to kick off health cooperation efforts under the “One Belt, One Road” strategic framework. They will exchange ideas on prevention and management of infectious diseases, prevention and treatment of noninfectious chronic diseases, traditional medicine along with a host of other pressing issues.

Ningxia, the only provincial Hui autonomous region in China, is home to over 2 million Muslims. Over the last few years, during the implementation phase of the “One Belt, One Road” strategy, Ningxia proved to be the pioneer as the province gradually developed into the primary region for driving cooperation between China and Arab countries as well as between Chinese and Muslim communities around the world.

The 2015 China-Arab States Health Cooperation Forum is a part of the 2015 China-Arab States Expo, which will also be held in September. The China-Arab States Expo has now become an important platform serving to assist the Chinese government in implementing the “One Belt, One Road” strategy. The Chinese government looks forward to seeing more Arab countries join the “One Belt, One Road” campaign through their attendance at the expo.

China-Arab States Health Cooperation Forum to be held in China’s Ningxia province in September

@BLACKEAGLE @Ahmed Jo @Chinese-Dragon @ChineseTiger1986 @Shotgunner51 @Wholegrain etc.

@Horus

Please kindly change the thread title to Arab-Sino cooperation.

Back
Top Bottom