What's new

Arab World and China Cooperation and News.

Good news, another China-Arab deal!

Yes I am aware of this $4B loan, as reported $1B used in building FX reserve, $3B in development, very good use of proceeds. There's Suez Canal Economic Zone, New Cairo, and now this loan, the fast developing Egypt never cease to amaze me!

P.S. I didn't receive your tag, perhaps you should tag less than 5 members each time, there seems to be a glitch in the system.

There are many things that East Asia and Arab World can learn from each other, both are ancient civilizations with vast wealth of wisdom. About Chinese Meritocracy, which has evolved for over a thousand years since the Middle Kingdom before taking the present-day shape, perhaps you may find this thread interesting:

Thanks!

@AndrewJin @TaiShang @GS Zhou @Sinopakfriend

Indeed great to see Sino-Arab cooperation growing in multifacted way. There is a long history of this cooperation since the the inception of PRC. The relationship is wholistic.

Along with the Chinese principled policy of non-interference and respect for local cultures, customs and religion, most people in the arab world have a very positive view of China.

OBOR envisions a comprehensive integartion of MENA.

The Sino-Arab relationship is not mere energy prodocers and consumers but China is a great development and trading partner of these countries.

Kwait has shown keeen interest to join CPEC. And if I am not mistaken it has also plans of investment in Gawadar.

Qatar is the RMB clearing house in the ME.

China is a very positive force in the MENA. For anyone interested in the Chinese vision for MENA President Xi's speech, I believe it was last year, to OIC will be very instructive.

All the very best to growing Sino-Arab Cooperation.

Good news, another China-Arab deal!

Yes I am aware of this $4B loan, as reported $1B used in building FX reserve, $3B in development, very good use of proceeds. There's Suez Canal Economic Zone, New Cairo, and now this loan, the fast developing Egypt never cease to amaze me!

P.S. I didn't receive your tag, perhaps you should tag less than 5 members each time, there seems to be a glitch in the system.

There are many things that East Asia and Arab World can learn from each other, both are ancient civilizations with vast wealth of wisdom. About Chinese Meritocracy, which has evolved for over a thousand years since the Middle Kingdom before taking the present-day shape, perhaps you may find this thread interesting:

Thanks!

@AndrewJin @TaiShang @GS Zhou @Sinopakfriend

Egypt, despite the current, mainly economic struggles, has a very bright future. Like almost all Arab countries that I can think of. The current Egyptian government has initiated a lot of interesting projects that could be defining for the proximate Egyptian future. Some of them being the Suez Canal Economic Zone, New Cairo, Saudi-Arabian-Egyptian causeway etc.

Indeed. The two oldest civilizations on the planet (modern-day Arab world and all it successor states and civilizations and modern-day China and all its successor and civilizations) are bound to learn a lot from each other indeed. However the Arab world can learn more from today's China than vice versa as China is ahead in terms of development on many fronts and China has already undergone many of the current experiences and struggles that parts of the Arab world are undergoing currently. This is why China should serve as an living example and inspiration and this is also why Arabs can relate to the development that China has undergone in the past 1-2 generations. In fact there are so many similarities that several books have been written about this topic by Arab, Chinese and Western authors.

This among many other reasons is also why I personally would prefer KSA, the GCC and the Arab world as a whole to embrace China wholeheartedly and declare China not only an key economic partner but also an key strategic partner with everything this entails.

Indeed great to see Sino-Arab cooperation growing in multifacted way. There is a long history of this cooperation since the the inception of PRC. The relationship is wholistic.

Along with the Chinese principled policy of non-interference and respect for local cultures, customs and religion, most people in the arab world have a very positive view of China.

OBOR envisions a comprehensive integartion of MENA.

The Sino-Arab relationship is not mere energy prodocers and consumers but China is a great development and trading partner of these countries.

Kwait has shown keeen interest to join CPEC. And if I am not mistaken it has also plans of investment in Gawadar.

Qatar is the RMB clearing house in the ME.

China is a very positive force in the MENA. For anyone interested in the Chinese vision for MENA President Xi's speech, I believe it was last year, to OIC will be very instructive.

All the very best to growing Sino-Arab Cooperation.

Do not forget that Han Chinese and Arabs are the two largest ethnic groups in the world. Two ethnic groups who moreover have had, historically, friendly and cordial ties bound in trade and exchanges of knowledge etc. Those ancient ties date back millennia, they were present during the Arab Caliphates and have now resurfaced once again in the modern era. Moreover the Arab world and China have zero territorial disputes and closer cooperation will ultimately mostly benefit both parties in their sphere of influence (West Asia, Northern Africa and East Asia) rather than create an eventual rivalry. Geography ensures this which means that both Arab and Chinese success is the success of both parties if the current policies will continue and even more importantly if the current relations will evolve from a mostly energy cooperation to fields such as education, science, technology, military, energy sector (nuclear, solar, wind etc.), culture etc. Which they are naturally bound to do evident of the many deals that were signed with KSA and Egypt alone during the most recent G20 summit in Hangzhou.

Also another thing that maybe many Chinese are not aware of is the fact that the Arab street (the common Arab in other words) would much, much rather prefer a stronger China in the Arab world than Western interference/influence given the laters appealing track record in West Asia/MENA region. Moreover there is a strong history of political movements in the Arab world which opposed Western colonialism, interference and which called for self-determination and the end of the hegemony of a certain power.

This is why you will struggle to find a single Arab out there with an hostile attitude towards China. So in other words there is a very fertile ground if the goal is to enhance the current ties.

In fact, despite our 250 billion big trade balance last year, I am afraid to say that our governments and people do not really understand how big the benefits of even closer Sino-Arab ties could become for both parties. I for once am campaigning relentlessly for this to occur and whenever I discuss politics with fellow Arabs, I am always pointing this relation out as one to watch for closely in the future.

Anyway this relationship will not reach its full heights if instability continues to hamper parts of the Arab world which is why peace, social and political reforms and economic progress should be the priority before anything else for countries such as Iraq, Syria, Yemen and most other countries in the Arab world.

Let me refer to this excellent speech by President XI when he visited the Arab League headquarters in Cairo earlier this year. He visited the same headquarters in late August when he visited Egypt btw. Anyway here is the full speech.

President Xi's Speech at Arab League Headquarters: Full Text
Editor: zhangrui 丨Xinhua

01-22-2016 06:50 BJT

Work Together for a Bright Future of China-Arab Relations

Speech by H.E. Xi Jinping
President of the People’s Republic of China
At the Arab League Headquarters

Cairo, 21 January 2016

Your Excellency Nabil el-Araby, Secretary-General of the Arab League,
Your Excellency Sherif Ismail, Prime Minister of Egypt,
Distinguished Ministers,
Your Excellencies Diplomatic Envoys of Arab States,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

It gives me great pleasure to meet with Arab friends. This is my first visit to the Arab world as Chinese President. First of all, on behalf of the Chinese government and people and in my own name, I wish to pay high tribute and extend best wishes to the Arab states and people.

An ancient Chinese philosopher said, “Visit those who you feel close to even without meeting them before, and invite those you cannot forget long after your paths crossed.” Coming to the Arab world, my colleagues and I all feel a sense of affinity. This is because in their exchanges across time and space, the Chinese and Arab peoples have been sincere with each other, forging friendship along the ancient Silk Road, sharing weal and woe in the fight for national independence, and helping each other in building their own countries. Such trust is unbreakable and cannot be bought with money.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

The Middle East is a land of abundance. Yet we are pained to see it still plagued by war and conflict. Where should the Middle East be headed? This is the question the international community keeps asking. The people here want less conflict and suffering, more peace and dignity.

An Arab poet once wrote, when you turn to the sun, you will see hope. There is hope in the Middle East, and all parties should look for it by pursuing dialogue and development.

–– The key to addressing differences is to enhance dialogue. Use of force offers no solution to problems, neither will zero-sum mentality bring enduring peace. The process of dialogue could be protracted, and may even suffer setbacks, but it entails minimal adverse after-effects and produces the most sustainable outcome. Parties to the conflict should begin dialogue, identify their biggest common interests, and focus on advancing the process of political settlement. The international community should respect the will and role of those directly involved, the neighboring countries and regional organizations, instead of imposing a solution from outside. For dialogue to succeed, there is need for utmost patience and flexibility.

–– The key to overcoming difficulties is to accelerate development. Turmoil in the Middle East stems from the lack of development, and the ultimate solution will depend on development, which bears on everyone’s well-being and dignity. It is a race against time and a struggle between hope and disillusion. Only when young people are able to live a fulfilled life with dignity through development can hope prevail in their heart. Only then will they voluntarily reject violence, extremist ideologies and terrorism.

–– The key to choosing a right path is to make sure that it suits the national conditions. There is more than just one path leading to modernization. Given the varied historical conditions, it is only natural that different countries may choose different paths of development. As an Arab proverb reminds us, “Nothing can scratch your skin quite like your own nails.” When exploring development paths, one will get nowhere by blindly copying others. Only by proceeding from one’s own realities can the right path be found. The development path of a country can only be determined by its people in light of its history, cultural traditions, and level of economic and social development.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

The Arab League is the symbol of unity among Arab states. To uphold the lawful national rights and interests of the Palestinian people is the lofty mission of the Arab League and the shared responsibility of the international community. The Palestinian issue should not be marginalized, still less should it fall into oblivion. It is an issue of fundamental importance to peace in the Middle East. To bring an end to the conflict, the international community should not only promote the resumption of talks and implementation of peace agreements, but also uphold fairness and justice. One cannot do without the other. Without fairness and justice, peace accord can only bring about a cold peace. The international community should stick to the principle of fairness and justice, and address historical injustice as soon as possible.

In this context, I wish to call on the international community to take more effective measures, resume peace talks at the political level and advance reconstruction on the economic front so as to bring hope to the Palestinian people at an early date. China firmly supports the Middle East peace process and supports the establishment of a State of Palestine enjoying full sovereignty on the basis of the 1967 borders and with East Jerusalem as its capital. We understand the legitimate aspirations of Palestine to integrate into the international community as a state. We are in favor of putting in place a new mechanism to promote peace on the Middle East question and support efforts made by the Arab League and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation toward this end. To improve Palestinian people’s well-being, the Chinese government will provide 50 million RMB yuan of grant to the Palestinian side and support the solar power station project in Palestine.

The current state of affairs in Syria is unsustainable. There will be no winner out of a conflict, and it is the people in the region who suffer. To address the hot-spots, what is most urgent now is to bring about ceasefire. Political dialogue is the path to a fundamental solution. At the same time, humanitarian assistance brooks no delay. This year, the Chinese side will provide 230 million RMB yuan of additional humanitarian assistance to the people of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya and Yemen.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

At the Ministerial Conference of China-Arab States Cooperation Forum in Beijing in June 2014, I called for joint Chinese and Arab efforts to build the Belt and Road Initiative. I suggested that we take energy cooperation as one priority, infrastructure development and trade and investment facilitation as two key areas, and nuclear energy, aviation satellite and new energy as the three high-tech areas for breakthrough. This so-called “1+2+3” cooperation pattern was warmly received by our Arab friends, and now we have seen early harvest.

–– Top-level designing is getting more mature. China and Arab states have set up the mechanism of Strategic and Political Dialogue. China has entered into strategic partnership with eight Arab states and signed agreements with six Arab states on jointly developing the Belt and Road Initiative. Seven Arab states have become founding members of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.

– Pragmatic cooperation is thriving. Being the second largest trading partner of Arab states, China has signed US$46.4 billion of new project contracts with them. FTA negotiations have resumed between the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and China and witnessed substantial progress. There are two RMB clearing centers in Arab states and two joint investment funds between China and Arab states. The China-Arab States Technology Transfer Center has been officially inaugurated. The two sides have agreed to set up training centers for peaceful use of nuclear energy and clean energy respectively, and to introduce the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System to Arab states. The second China-Arab States Expo has seen the signing of cooperation projects worth 183 billion RMB yuan, serving as an important platform for our joint efforts to build the Belt and Road.

–– People-to-people and cultural exchanges have become more diversified. We have carried out a variety of activities during the Year of China-Arab Friendship, signed agreement on the first joint university and started cooperation between 100 cultural institutions from both sides. The number of Arab students in China has exceeded 14,000. There are now 11 Confucius Institutes in Arab states. Every week, there are 183 flights between China and Arab states.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

China follows the path of peaceful development, an independent foreign policy of peace and a win-win strategy of opening-up. One of our priorities is to take an active part in global governance, pursue mutually beneficial cooperation, assume international responsibilities and obligations, expand convergence of interests with other countries and forge a community of shared future for mankind.

We need to make good use of the coming five years as the crucial period to jointly build the Belt and Road and set out the guiding principles of peace, innovation, guidance, governance and integration. We should be builders of peace, promoters of development, boosters of industrialization, supporters of stability and partners of people-to-people exchanges in the Middle East.

China is ready to work with Arab states to jointly build the Belt and Road and expand common ground in our respective effort to achieve national renewal.

First, we need to hold high the banner of peace and dialogue and take steps to promote stability. The Belt and Road Initiative calls for exchanges between nations and civilizations for mutual understanding, rather than mutual resentment. It is important to remove, rather than erect, walls between each other, take dialogue as the golden rule and be good neighbors with each other.

The ancient Chinese philosopher Mencius said, “Ensuring the right conduct and uphold justice should be the way to follow across the land.” With regard to China’s policy measures toward the Middle East, China decides its position on issues on the basis of their own merits and the fundamental interests of the people in the Middle East. Instead of looking for a proxy in the Middle East, we promote peace talks; instead of seeking any sphere of influence, we call on all parties to join the circle of friends for the Belt and Road Initiative; instead of attempting to fill the “vacuum”, we build a cooperative partnership network for win-win outcomes.

The Chinese people believe in the philosophy of change and adaptation. The Arabs also say “continuing in the same state is impossible”. We respect the Arab states’ aspiration for reform, and support Arab states in their efforts to independently explore the path of development. To properly handle the relations between reform, development and stability is of vital importance. This is like camel racing, a popular sport in the Arab world. If the camel runs too fast at the beginning, it may be exhausted toward the end of the race. Yet if it starts too slow, it may lag behind in the end. Only the rider who keeps a good balance between speed and stamina can claim the final victory.

The spread of terrorist and extremist ideas poses a serious challenge to peace and development. Countries need to have consensus about the fight against terrorist and extremist forces. Terrorism knows no borders. There is no distinction between good and bad terrorism. And there should be no double standards in fighting terrorism. For the same reason, terrorism shall not be linked with any specific ethnic group or religion, as it will only create ethnic and religious tensions. No policy can be effective on its own, and a comprehensive strategy that addresses both symptoms and root causes must be applied in the fight against terrorism.

To this end, China will set up a China-Arab research center on reform and development. We will hold a roundtable on inter-civilization dialogue and eradicating extremism within the framework of the China-Arab States Cooperation Forum and organize exchange of visits by 100 renowned religious leaders. We will enhance cooperation on cyber security, block the online transmission of audio and video materials instigating violence and terrorism, and jointly participate in the formulation of an international counter-terrorism convention in the cyberspace. We will provide US$300 million of assistance to support such projects as law enforcement cooperation and police training to help regional countries enhance their capacity in maintaining law and order.

Second, we need to advance structural adjustment and adopt new ways of cooperation. Given the ever more fierce global competition in development, we need to upgrade our cooperation. We need to advance the “oil and gas plus” cooperation model and further tap the potential of cooperation. China is ready to strengthen cooperation with Arab states across the entire industrial chain from upstream to midstream to downstream, renew long-term oil purchase agreement, and enter into strategic energy cooperation with Arab states that features mutual benefit, reliability and enduring friendship. It is important to set up new mechanism for trade and investment and expand space for cooperation.

As China is already on the fast track of outbound investment and Arab states boast strong sovereign wealth funds, we may sign more currency swap and mutual investment agreements, expand RMB settlement business, accelerate investment facilitation and steer the investment fund and private capital of our two sides toward major projects under the Belt and Road Initiative. It is important to step up high-tech cooperation and foster new driving force for our cooperation. On the basis of the existing technology transfer and training centers, the two sides may speed up the introduction of new and high technologies such as high-speed rail, nuclear power, aerospace, new energy and genetic engineering so as to add more value to the pragmatic cooperation between China and Arab states.

For this purpose, China will implement the action plan for new ways of cooperation, explore a model of package cooperation involving oil, loan and project, and extend the traditional oil and gas cooperation chain to the development of new and renewable energy. China will take part in the development of industrial parks in the Middle East with priority given to the Suez Economic and Trade Cooperation Zone. By means of personnel training and joint planning and building of factories, we will integrate the whole process from processing and manufacturing to transportation and export. We will launch China-Arab states scientific and technological partnership program and jointly build 10 laboratories on modern agriculture, ICT and health. We will hold China-Arab States BeiDou Cooperation Forum.

Third, we need to advance industrialization in the Middle East and carry out production capacity cooperation. Production capacity cooperation is consistent with the overall trend of economic diversification in the Middle East. It can help Middle East countries embark on a new path of efficient, people-oriented and green industrialization.

Chinese equipment is of high quality yet inexpensive price. Combined with technology transfer, personnel training and strong financing support, they can help countries in the Middle East develop urgently needed industries such as iron and steel, non-ferrous metals, construction materials, glass, car manufacturing and power plant with relative low cost to fill the gap in their industrial structure and foster new comparative advantages. China’s competitive production capacity and the human resources in the Middle East, when combined, will deliver more and better job opportunities for the region.

This morning, I attended the inauguration ceremony of the second phase of the China-Egypt Suez Economic and Trade Cooperation Zone. The project will bring to Egypt over 100 companies in such sectors as textile, garment, oil equipment, motorcycle and solar energy, and create over 10,000 job opportunities for Egypt.

In order to promote the industrialization process of the Middle East, China will work with Arab states to launch an action plan for production capacity cooperation. Under this initiative, China will set up a US$15 billion special loan for industrialization in the Middle East to be used on production capacity cooperation and infrastructure projects in regional countries, and provide countries in the Middle East with US$10 billion of commercial loans to support production capacity cooperation. China will also provide US$10 billion of concessional loans with even more favorable terms for regional countries. Meanwhile, China will launch a US$20 billion joint investment fund with the UAE and Qatar to primarily invest in traditional energy, infrastructure development and high-end manufacturing industries in the Middle East.

Fourth, we need to strengthen cultural exchanges and mutual learning and take actions to enhance friendship. Like the diverse species in Mother Nature, cultural diversity gives life to our planet. The Middle East is the meeting place of ancient human civilizations and home to diverse and splendid civilizations and cultures. China will continue to unswervingly support Middle East and Arab states in preserving their ethnic and cultural traditions, and oppose all forms of discrimination and prejudice against specific ethnic group and religion.

The Chinese and Arab civilizations each have their own systems and distinctive features, yet they both embody the common ideals and aspirations of mankind for development and progress, and they both champion such values as moderation, peace, forgiveness, tolerance and self-restraint. We should promote dialogue among civilizations in a spirit of inclusiveness and mutual learning and explore together values in our respective cultural tradition that remain relevant today as positive guidance for good relations.

The regions covered by the Belt and Road Initiative are vibrant in people-to-people exchanges. The close ties between our peoples must be nurtured through constant efforts. Yesterday, I met with ten old Arab friends who received the Award for Outstanding Contribution to China-Arab Friendship. It is the hard work of generations of friendly people from both sides that has enabled the seedlings of China-Arab friendship to grow into luxuriant and evergreen trees.

In order to ensure the smooth flow of talents and ideas along the Belt and Road, we will implement the "hundred, thousand and ten thousand" project for enhancing China-Arab friendship. Under the project, we will launch a "Silk Road Book Translation" program for the translation of 100 Chinese and Arab classics into each other’s language. We will strengthen connectivity between our think tanks and invite 100 experts and scholars to visit each other’s countries. We will provide 1,000 training opportunities for young Arab leaders and invite 1,500 leaders of Arab political parties to visit China to bring up young envoys and political leaders for China-Arab friendship. We will also provide 10,000 scholarships and 10,000 training opportunities for Arab states and organize mutual visits for 10,000 Chinese and Arab artists.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

As an Egyptian proverb goes, “Man fears time. Time fears the pyramid.” To me, nothing is more enduring that the great spirit of reform and freedom that defines the Egyptian people. Today’s Egypt represents the hope of a renewed civilization and carries the mission of national rejuvenation. China firmly supports the efforts of the Egyptian government and people and looks to Egypt to become a pillar of stability and model of development in the region.

In the pursuit of national rejuvenation, setbacks and pains are hardly avoidable. Yet if the path is correct, one will eventually reach his destination. China and Arab states must forge ahead hand in hand to scale new heights, deepen friendship and cooperation, and make a joint endeavor for the lofty cause of peace and development for mankind.

Shukran. Thank you.

http://english.cntv.cn/2016/01/22/ARTIadCQDyVQjG0ADCkR2tcl160122.shtml

In fact I would go so far as to say that Chinese presence in the Arab world/MENA would ensure peace to a large degree.

Last edited:
Egypt, despite the current, mainly economic struggles, has a very bright future. Like almost all Arab countries that I can think of. The current Egyptian government has initiated a lot of interesting projects that could be defining for the proximate Egyptian future. Some of them being the Suez Canal Economic Zone, New Cairo, Saudi-Arabian-Egyptian causeway etc.

Indeed. The two oldest civilizations on the planet (modern-day Arab world and all it successor states and civilizations and modern-day China and all its successor and civilizations) are bound to learn a lot from each other indeed. However the Arab world can learn more from today's China than vice versa as China is ahead in terms of development on many fronts and China has already undergone many of the current experiences and struggles that parts of the Arab world are undergoing currently. This is why China should serve as an living example and inspiration and this is also why Arabs can relate to the development that China has undergone in the past 1-2 generations. In fact there are so many similarities that several books have been written about this topic by Arab, Chinese and Western authors.

This among many other reasons is also why I personally would prefer KSA, the GCC and the Arab world as a whole to embrace China wholeheartedly and declare China not only an key economic partner but also an key strategic partner with everything this entails.

Do not forget that Han Chinese and Arabs are the two largest ethnic groups in the world. Two ethnic groups who moreover have had, historically, friendly and cordial ties bound in trade and exchanges of knowledge etc. Those ancient ties date back millennia, they were present during the Arab Caliphates and have now resurfaced once again in the modern era. Moreover the Arab world and China have zero territorial disputes and closer cooperation will ultimately mostly benefit both parties in their sphere of influence (West Asia, Northern Africa and East Asia) rather than create an eventual rivalry. Geography ensures this which means that both Arab and Chinese success is the success of both parties if the current policies will continue and even more importantly if the current relations will evolve from a mostly energy cooperation to fields such as education, science, technology, military, energy sector (nuclear, solar, wind etc.), culture etc. Which they are naturally bound to do evident of the many deals that were signed with KSA and Egypt alone during the most recent G20 summit in Hangzhou.

Also another thing that maybe many Chinese are not aware of is the fact that the Arab street (the common Arab in other words) would much, much rather prefer a stronger China in the Arab world than Western interference/influence given the laters appealing track record in West Asia/MENA region. Moreover there is a strong history of political movements in the Arab world which opposed Western colonialism, interference and which called for self-determination and the end of the hegemony of a certain power.

This is why you will struggle to find a single Arab out there with an hostile attitude towards China. So in other words there is a very fertile ground if the goal is to enhance the current ties.

In fact, despite our 250 billion big trade balance last year, I am afraid to say that our governments and people do not really understand how big the benefits of even closer Sino-Arab ties could become for both parties. I for once am campaigning relentlessly for this to occur and whenever I discuss politics with fellow Arabs, I am always pointing this relation out as one to watch for closely in the future.

Anyway this relationship will not reach its full heights if instability continues to hamper parts of the Arab world which is why peace, social and political reforms and economic progress should be the priority before anything else for countries such as Iraq, Syria, Yemen and most other countries in the Arab world.

Let me refer to this excellent speech by President XI when he visited the Arab League headquarters in Cairo earlier this year. He visited the same headquarters in late August when he visited Egypt btw. Anyway here is the full speech.

President Xi's Speech at Arab League Headquarters: Full Text
Editor: zhangrui 丨Xinhua

01-22-2016 06:50 BJT

Work Together for a Bright Future of China-Arab Relations

Speech by H.E. Xi Jinping
President of the People’s Republic of China
At the Arab League Headquarters

Cairo, 21 January 2016

Your Excellency Nabil el-Araby, Secretary-General of the Arab League,
Your Excellency Sherif Ismail, Prime Minister of Egypt,
Distinguished Ministers,
Your Excellencies Diplomatic Envoys of Arab States,
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

It gives me great pleasure to meet with Arab friends. This is my first visit to the Arab world as Chinese President. First of all, on behalf of the Chinese government and people and in my own name, I wish to pay high tribute and extend best wishes to the Arab states and people.

An ancient Chinese philosopher said, “Visit those who you feel close to even without meeting them before, and invite those you cannot forget long after your paths crossed.” Coming to the Arab world, my colleagues and I all feel a sense of affinity. This is because in their exchanges across time and space, the Chinese and Arab peoples have been sincere with each other, forging friendship along the ancient Silk Road, sharing weal and woe in the fight for national independence, and helping each other in building their own countries. Such trust is unbreakable and cannot be bought with money.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

The Middle East is a land of abundance. Yet we are pained to see it still plagued by war and conflict. Where should the Middle East be headed? This is the question the international community keeps asking. The people here want less conflict and suffering, more peace and dignity.

An Arab poet once wrote, when you turn to the sun, you will see hope. There is hope in the Middle East, and all parties should look for it by pursuing dialogue and development.

–– The key to addressing differences is to enhance dialogue. Use of force offers no solution to problems, neither will zero-sum mentality bring enduring peace. The process of dialogue could be protracted, and may even suffer setbacks, but it entails minimal adverse after-effects and produces the most sustainable outcome. Parties to the conflict should begin dialogue, identify their biggest common interests, and focus on advancing the process of political settlement. The international community should respect the will and role of those directly involved, the neighboring countries and regional organizations, instead of imposing a solution from outside. For dialogue to succeed, there is need for utmost patience and flexibility.

–– The key to overcoming difficulties is to accelerate development. Turmoil in the Middle East stems from the lack of development, and the ultimate solution will depend on development, which bears on everyone’s well-being and dignity. It is a race against time and a struggle between hope and disillusion. Only when young people are able to live a fulfilled life with dignity through development can hope prevail in their heart. Only then will they voluntarily reject violence, extremist ideologies and terrorism.

–– The key to choosing a right path is to make sure that it suits the national conditions. There is more than just one path leading to modernization. Given the varied historical conditions, it is only natural that different countries may choose different paths of development. As an Arab proverb reminds us, “Nothing can scratch your skin quite like your own nails.” When exploring development paths, one will get nowhere by blindly copying others. Only by proceeding from one’s own realities can the right path be found. The development path of a country can only be determined by its people in light of its history, cultural traditions, and level of economic and social development.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

The Arab League is the symbol of unity among Arab states. To uphold the lawful national rights and interests of the Palestinian people is the lofty mission of the Arab League and the shared responsibility of the international community. The Palestinian issue should not be marginalized, still less should it fall into oblivion. It is an issue of fundamental importance to peace in the Middle East. To bring an end to the conflict, the international community should not only promote the resumption of talks and implementation of peace agreements, but also uphold fairness and justice. One cannot do without the other. Without fairness and justice, peace accord can only bring about a cold peace. The international community should stick to the principle of fairness and justice, and address historical injustice as soon as possible.

In this context, I wish to call on the international community to take more effective measures, resume peace talks at the political level and advance reconstruction on the economic front so as to bring hope to the Palestinian people at an early date. China firmly supports the Middle East peace process and supports the establishment of a State of Palestine enjoying full sovereignty on the basis of the 1967 borders and with East Jerusalem as its capital. We understand the legitimate aspirations of Palestine to integrate into the international community as a state. We are in favor of putting in place a new mechanism to promote peace on the Middle East question and support efforts made by the Arab League and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation toward this end. To improve Palestinian people’s well-being, the Chinese government will provide 50 million RMB yuan of grant to the Palestinian side and support the solar power station project in Palestine.

The current state of affairs in Syria is unsustainable. There will be no winner out of a conflict, and it is the people in the region who suffer. To address the hot-spots, what is most urgent now is to bring about ceasefire. Political dialogue is the path to a fundamental solution. At the same time, humanitarian assistance brooks no delay. This year, the Chinese side will provide 230 million RMB yuan of additional humanitarian assistance to the people of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya and Yemen.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

At the Ministerial Conference of China-Arab States Cooperation Forum in Beijing in June 2014, I called for joint Chinese and Arab efforts to build the Belt and Road Initiative. I suggested that we take energy cooperation as one priority, infrastructure development and trade and investment facilitation as two key areas, and nuclear energy, aviation satellite and new energy as the three high-tech areas for breakthrough. This so-called “1+2+3” cooperation pattern was warmly received by our Arab friends, and now we have seen early harvest.

–– Top-level designing is getting more mature. China and Arab states have set up the mechanism of Strategic and Political Dialogue. China has entered into strategic partnership with eight Arab states and signed agreements with six Arab states on jointly developing the Belt and Road Initiative. Seven Arab states have become founding members of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.

–– Pragmatic cooperation is thriving. Being the second largest trading partner of Arab states, China has signed US$46.4 billion of new project contracts with them. FTA negotiations have resumed between the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and China and witnessed substantial progress. There are two RMB clearing centers in Arab states and two joint investment funds between China and Arab states. The China-Arab States Technology Transfer Center has been officially inaugurated. The two sides have agreed to set up training centers for peaceful use of nuclear energy and clean energy respectively, and to introduce the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System to Arab states. The second China-Arab States Expo has seen the signing of cooperation projects worth 183 billion RMB yuan, serving as an important platform for our joint efforts to build the Belt and Road.

–– People-to-people and cultural exchanges have become more diversified. We have carried out a variety of activities during the Year of China-Arab Friendship, signed agreement on the first joint university and started cooperation between 100 cultural institutions from both sides. The number of Arab students in China has exceeded 14,000. There are now 11 Confucius Institutes in Arab states. Every week, there are 183 flights between China and Arab states.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

China follows the path of peaceful development, an independent foreign policy of peace and a win-win strategy of opening-up. One of our priorities is to take an active part in global governance, pursue mutually beneficial cooperation, assume international responsibilities and obligations, expand convergence of interests with other countries and forge a community of shared future for mankind.

We need to make good use of the coming five years as the crucial period to jointly build the Belt and Road and set out the guiding principles of peace, innovation, guidance, governance and integration. We should be builders of peace, promoters of development, boosters of industrialization, supporters of stability and partners of people-to-people exchanges in the Middle East.

China is ready to work with Arab states to jointly build the Belt and Road and expand common ground in our respective effort to achieve national renewal.

First, we need to hold high the banner of peace and dialogue and take steps to promote stability. The Belt and Road Initiative calls for exchanges between nations and civilizations for mutual understanding, rather than mutual resentment. It is important to remove, rather than erect, walls between each other, take dialogue as the golden rule and be good neighbors with each other.

The ancient Chinese philosopher Mencius said, “Ensuring the right conduct and uphold justice should be the way to follow across the land.” With regard to China’s policy measures toward the Middle East, China decides its position on issues on the basis of their own merits and the fundamental interests of the people in the Middle East. Instead of looking for a proxy in the Middle East, we promote peace talks; instead of seeking any sphere of influence, we call on all parties to join the circle of friends for the Belt and Road Initiative; instead of attempting to fill the “vacuum”, we build a cooperative partnership network for win-win outcomes.

The Chinese people believe in the philosophy of change and adaptation. The Arabs also say “continuing in the same state is impossible”. We respect the Arab states’ aspiration for reform, and support Arab states in their efforts to independently explore the path of development. To properly handle the relations between reform, development and stability is of vital importance. This is like camel racing, a popular sport in the Arab world. If the camel runs too fast at the beginning, it may be exhausted toward the end of the race. Yet if it starts too slow, it may lag behind in the end. Only the rider who keeps a good balance between speed and stamina can claim the final victory.

The spread of terrorist and extremist ideas poses a serious challenge to peace and development. Countries need to have consensus about the fight against terrorist and extremist forces. Terrorism knows no borders. There is no distinction between good and bad terrorism. And there should be no double standards in fighting terrorism. For the same reason, terrorism shall not be linked with any specific ethnic group or religion, as it will only create ethnic and religious tensions. No policy can be effective on its own, and a comprehensive strategy that addresses both symptoms and root causes must be applied in the fight against terrorism.

To this end, China will set up a China-Arab research center on reform and development. We will hold a roundtable on inter-civilization dialogue and eradicating extremism within the framework of the China-Arab States Cooperation Forum and organize exchange of visits by 100 renowned religious leaders. We will enhance cooperation on cyber security, block the online transmission of audio and video materials instigating violence and terrorism, and jointly participate in the formulation of an international counter-terrorism convention in the cyberspace. We will provide US$300 million of assistance to support such projects as law enforcement cooperation and police training to help regional countries enhance their capacity in maintaining law and order.

Second, we need to advance structural adjustment and adopt new ways of cooperation. Given the ever more fierce global competition in development, we need to upgrade our cooperation. We need to advance the “oil and gas plus” cooperation model and further tap the potential of cooperation. China is ready to strengthen cooperation with Arab states across the entire industrial chain from upstream to midstream to downstream, renew long-term oil purchase agreement, and enter into strategic energy cooperation with Arab states that features mutual benefit, reliability and enduring friendship. It is important to set up new mechanism for trade and investment and expand space for cooperation.

As China is already on the fast track of outbound investment and Arab states boast strong sovereign wealth funds, we may sign more currency swap and mutual investment agreements, expand RMB settlement business, accelerate investment facilitation and steer the investment fund and private capital of our two sides toward major projects under the Belt and Road Initiative. It is important to step up high-tech cooperation and foster new driving force for our cooperation. On the basis of the existing technology transfer and training centers, the two sides may speed up the introduction of new and high technologies such as high-speed rail, nuclear power, aerospace, new energy and genetic engineering so as to add more value to the pragmatic cooperation between China and Arab states.

For this purpose, China will implement the action plan for new ways of cooperation, explore a model of package cooperation involving oil, loan and project, and extend the traditional oil and gas cooperation chain to the development of new and renewable energy. China will take part in the development of industrial parks in the Middle East with priority given to the Suez Economic and Trade Cooperation Zone. By means of personnel training and joint planning and building of factories, we will integrate the whole process from processing and manufacturing to transportation and export. We will launch China-Arab states scientific and technological partnership program and jointly build 10 laboratories on modern agriculture, ICT and health. We will hold China-Arab States BeiDou Cooperation Forum.

Third, we need to advance industrialization in the Middle East and carry out production capacity cooperation. Production capacity cooperation is consistent with the overall trend of economic diversification in the Middle East. It can help Middle East countries embark on a new path of efficient, people-oriented and green industrialization.

Chinese equipment is of high quality yet inexpensive price. Combined with technology transfer, personnel training and strong financing support, they can help countries in the Middle East develop urgently needed industries such as iron and steel, non-ferrous metals, construction materials, glass, car manufacturing and power plant with relative low cost to fill the gap in their industrial structure and foster new comparative advantages. China’s competitive production capacity and the human resources in the Middle East, when combined, will deliver more and better job opportunities for the region.

This morning, I attended the inauguration ceremony of the second phase of the China-Egypt Suez Economic and Trade Cooperation Zone. The project will bring to Egypt over 100 companies in such sectors as textile, garment, oil equipment, motorcycle and solar energy, and create over 10,000 job opportunities for Egypt.

In order to promote the industrialization process of the Middle East, China will work with Arab states to launch an action plan for production capacity cooperation. Under this initiative, China will set up a US$15 billion special loan for industrialization in the Middle East to be used on production capacity cooperation and infrastructure projects in regional countries, and provide countries in the Middle East with US$10 billion of commercial loans to support production capacity cooperation. China will also provide US$10 billion of concessional loans with even more favorable terms for regional countries. Meanwhile, China will launch a US$20 billion joint investment fund with the UAE and Qatar to primarily invest in traditional energy, infrastructure development and high-end manufacturing industries in the Middle East.

Fourth, we need to strengthen cultural exchanges and mutual learning and take actions to enhance friendship. Like the diverse species in Mother Nature, cultural diversity gives life to our planet. The Middle East is the meeting place of ancient human civilizations and home to diverse and splendid civilizations and cultures. China will continue to unswervingly support Middle East and Arab states in preserving their ethnic and cultural traditions, and oppose all forms of discrimination and prejudice against specific ethnic group and religion.

The Chinese and Arab civilizations each have their own systems and distinctive features, yet they both embody the common ideals and aspirations of mankind for development and progress, and they both champion such values as moderation, peace, forgiveness, tolerance and self-restraint. We should promote dialogue among civilizations in a spirit of inclusiveness and mutual learning and explore together values in our respective cultural tradition that remain relevant today as positive guidance for good relations.

The regions covered by the Belt and Road Initiative are vibrant in people-to-people exchanges. The close ties between our peoples must be nurtured through constant efforts. Yesterday, I met with ten old Arab friends who received the Award for Outstanding Contribution to China-Arab Friendship. It is the hard work of generations of friendly people from both sides that has enabled the seedlings of China-Arab friendship to grow into luxuriant and evergreen trees.

In order to ensure the smooth flow of talents and ideas along the Belt and Road, we will implement the "hundred, thousand and ten thousand" project for enhancing China-Arab friendship. Under the project, we will launch a "Silk Road Book Translation" program for the translation of 100 Chinese and Arab classics into each other’s language. We will strengthen connectivity between our think tanks and invite 100 experts and scholars to visit each other’s countries. We will provide 1,000 training opportunities for young Arab leaders and invite 1,500 leaders of Arab political parties to visit China to bring up young envoys and political leaders for China-Arab friendship. We will also provide 10,000 scholarships and 10,000 training opportunities for Arab states and organize mutual visits for 10,000 Chinese and Arab artists.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
Friends,

As an Egyptian proverb goes, “Man fears time. Time fears the pyramid.” To me, nothing is more enduring that the great spirit of reform and freedom that defines the Egyptian people. Today’s Egypt represents the hope of a renewed civilization and carries the mission of national rejuvenation. China firmly supports the efforts of the Egyptian government and people and looks to Egypt to become a pillar of stability and model of development in the region.

In the pursuit of national rejuvenation, setbacks and pains are hardly avoidable. Yet if the path is correct, one will eventually reach his destination. China and Arab states must forge ahead hand in hand to scale new heights, deepen friendship and cooperation, and make a joint endeavor for the lofty cause of peace and development for mankind.

Shukran. Thank you.

http://english.cntv.cn/2016/01/22/ARTIadCQDyVQjG0ADCkR2tcl160122.shtml

My dear friend,

Firstly, many thanks for your warm and eloquent post.

Eygpt and Summeria are older than time!

I share your wish and hope that the arab peoples see that China offers co-development and co-prosperity.
This is a different paradgim than the past emperial experience that all of your arab countreis had.

With Sino-Arab constructive and mutually benefitial engagment...one sincerely hopes that Peace can find its home in your wonderous lands.

Chinese development is something many arab countries can learn from.

On top of it the Civilisation interaction can only be benefitial to all.

I wish your country Peace, Progress and Prosperity that your great people deserve. If you can build the Pyramids surely you can become industrialised. No doubt about.

Great going for Sino-Arab Cooperation!

China to launch yuan's direct trading with Saudi riyal, UAE dirham

BEIJING - China announced on Friday it will launch direct trading of its currency yuan with the riyal of Saudi Arabia and the dirham of the United Arab Emirates, on its inter-bank foreign exchange market Monday.

The move will bring the number of foreign currencies that are allowed direct trading with the yuan to 16, according to the China Foreign Exchange Trade System (CFETS).

The CFETS currently announces every business day the central parity rates of the yuan
against major currencies including the US dollar, Euro and Japanese yen.

The direct trading will help lower exchange costs and facilitate bilateral trade and investment,the CFETS said.

To promote the global use of the yuan and open up financial markets, China has stepped up the signing of direct trading agreements with several currencies.

BEIJING - China announced on Friday it will launch direct trading of its currency yuan with the riyal of Saudi Arabia and the dirham of the United Arab Emirates, on its inter-bank foreign exchange market Monday.

The move will bring the number of foreign currencies that are allowed direct trading with the yuan to 16, according to the China Foreign Exchange Trade System (CFETS).

The CFETS currently announces every business day the central parity rates of the yuan

The direct trading will help lower exchange costs and facilitate bilateral trade and investment,the CFETS said.

To promote the global use of the yuan and open up financial markets, China has stepped up the signing of direct trading agreements with several currencies.

Excellent news! Now that it has kicked off, China-GCC trade and investments should increasingly be settled in own currencies, de-dollarisation is necessary.

image.jpeg

Cosco Wins Concession of Khalifa Port’s New Terminal

image.jpeg

Image Courtesy: Abu Dhabi Ports

Port developer and operator Abu Dhabi Ports has awarded a 35-year concession to build and operate a new container terminal at Khalifa Port to China-based Cosco Shipping Ports Limited – Abu Dhabi (CSPL SPV).

Cosco Shipping Ports Limited will operate a container terminal with a draft depth of 18 metres, with 1200 metres of quay wall and adjacent land. The first 800 metres of the quay length is expected to commence operations in the first half of 2018 and the later 400 metres is set to commence operations in 2020.

Once the expansion areas are occupied, the concession area will span an area of approximately 70 hectares with 3 berths, which will add 2.4 million TEUs a year to the port’s existing capacity of 2.5 million TEUs.

The agreement includes the option for a further 600 metre of quay length in the future to allow for anticipated volume growth, the nominal annual handling capacity will increase to 3.5 million TEUs when all phases are complete, creating a new overall annual capacity of up to 6 million TEUs.

The global port operator giant is establishing a joint venture company to operate the new Khalifa Port Container Terminal 2 in Khalifa Port, which will be entitled concession rights of the terminal for a span of 35 years, with a renewable period of 5 additional years. CSPL SPV will have the controlling stake in the joint venture company, Abu Dhabi Ports said.

“The signing of the concession agreement between Abu Dhabi Ports Company and COSCO Shipping Ports Limited will significantly expand trade between China, the UAE and the broader region. It will greatly enhance the UAE and Abu Dhabi’s role as a key logistics and trading hub, between East and West and will also serve to further diversify the UAE’s dynamic and growing economy,”

Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber, UAE Minister of State and Chairman of ADPC, said.​

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archiv...ins-concession-of-khalifa-ports-new-terminal/

Excellent news! Now that it has kicked off, China-GCC trade and investments should increasingly be settled in own currencies, de-dollarisation is necessary.

View attachment 339748

Cosco Wins Concession of Khalifa Port’s New Terminal

View attachment 339759
Image Courtesy: Abu Dhabi Ports

Port developer and operator Abu Dhabi Ports has awarded a 35-year concession to build and operate a new container terminal at Khalifa Port to China-based Cosco Shipping Ports Limited – Abu Dhabi (CSPL SPV).

Cosco Shipping Ports Limited will operate a container terminal with a draft depth of 18 metres, with 1200 metres of quay wall and adjacent land. The first 800 metres of the quay length is expected to commence operations in the first half of 2018 and the later 400 metres is set to commence operations in 2020.

Once the expansion areas are occupied, the concession area will span an area of approximately 70 hectares with 3 berths, which will add 2.4 million TEUs a year to the port’s existing capacity of 2.5 million TEUs.

The agreement includes the option for a further 600 metre of quay length in the future to allow for anticipated volume growth, the nominal annual handling capacity will increase to 3.5 million TEUs when all phases are complete, creating a new overall annual capacity of up to 6 million TEUs.

The global port operator giant is establishing a joint venture company to operate the new Khalifa Port Container Terminal 2 in Khalifa Port, which will be entitled concession rights of the terminal for a span of 35 years, with a renewable period of 5 additional years. CSPL SPV will have the controlling stake in the joint venture company, Abu Dhabi Ports said.

“The signing of the concession agreement between Abu Dhabi Ports Company and COSCO Shipping Ports Limited will significantly expand trade between China, the UAE and the broader region. It will greatly enhance the UAE and Abu Dhabi’s role as a key logistics and trading hub, between East and West and will also serve to further diversify the UAE’s dynamic and growing economy,”

Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber, UAE Minister of State and Chairman of ADPC, said.​

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archiv...ins-concession-of-khalifa-ports-new-terminal/

Excellent news.

China biggest Dubai trade partner in H1 2016

Xinhua, October 8, 2016

The Dubai Customs said on Saturday that China is Dubai's primary trading partner in the first half of 2016 with a bilateral trade worth 21.52 billion U.S. dollars, Dubai Media Office reported.

India came in the second place with bilateral trade at 13.1 billion dollars, followed by the United States with 11.71 billion dollars.

China overtook India as Dubai's number one trade partner for the first time in 2014.

Saudi Arabia was Dubai's fourth biggest trading partner globally in the first half of 2016 and first in the Arab world, with bilateral exchange reaching 7.36 billion dollars.

China-Dubai relations received a boost last month when the United Arab Emirates (UAE) said it will soon issue travel visas on arrival to Chinese citizens and when China started direct trading of its currency yuan with the UAE on Sept. 26.

The half-year report stated that Dubai's non-oil foreign trade added up to 176.3 billion dollars from January to June 2016.

It represented an increase of 3.52 percent year on year compared to 170.3 billion dollars the Gulf Arab emirate achieved in non-oil foreign trade in the first six months of 2015.

In order to offset the impact of the general slowdown in world economy, lower commodity prices and the slump in oil prices, "Dubai has wisely restructured and broadened its sources of revenue while taking considerable measures to stimulate growth in the affected sectors," the report quoted DP World Group Chairman and CEO and Chairman of Ports, Customs and Free Zone Corporation, Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem.

Imports had the lion's share at 109.26 billion dollars, while exports and re-exports accounted for 20.16 billion dollars and 46.86 billion dollars respectively.

The report added that Dubai saw a 17 percent upsurge in the total volume of traded goods in the first half of 2016, rising as high as 49 million tons of commodities from 41 million tons the same period last year.

Direct trade was the main component of Dubai's foreign trade in the first half of 2016, standing at 115.4 billion dollars.

Less than three percent of Dubai's economy is based on oil, as 90 percent of the UAE's oil is based in Abu Dhabi, the UAE capital.

The Gulf state now has 4,200 Chinese firms, 249 trade agencies and 5,451 Chinese trade brands, according to China Foreign Trade Center.

http://www.china.org.cn/world/Off_the_Wire/2016-10/08/content_39445686.htm

This is just between 1 Arab emirate and China. Imagine what will happen once Arab-Chinese relations will diversify and reach new heights. I hope that China will be trustworthy partner in helping kickstart social, political and economic changes in the Arab world. Will ultimately benefit China greatly as well.

We trust Chinese people and China while we have bad experience with the West in this regard!

Already we are talking about a trade worth over 250 billion dollars yearly!

Last edited:
Dubai's DEWA gets finance for $3.4 bln coal power plant
Sun Dec 11, 2016 | 4:02am EST

20160729070709_52190.jpg

Dec 11 Dubai Electricity and Water Authority has closed the financing package that will back the construction of a 2,400 megawatt coal-fired power plant in the emirate, according to a statement from one of the developers on Sunday.

The Hassyan plant will be developed through a joint venture, with the Dubai utility firm holding a 51 percent stake and the rest split between China's Harbin Electric and Saudi Arabia's ACWA Power.

The financing package is divided between a senior secured loan and secured mezzanine financing, ACWA said. It did not specify exactly how much of the project's $3.4 billion cost would be covered by the package but previously, officials had indicated around 80 percent would be provided by commercial bank loans.

In mezzanine finance, holders are only able to claim against the company if it defaults, once creditors with senior debt have been repaid.

The cash is being provided by lenders including Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Bank of China, First Gulf Bank and Standard Chartered, ACWA added.

20160729071350_26896.jpg

The coal plant is part of the emirate's strategy to broaden its energy sources: by 2030, it is targeting around 7 percent of its electricity production from coal, as well as 25 percent from solar, 7 percent from nuclear power and 61 percent from gas.

Phase one of the coal plant is to be operational in March 2020, with all four 600 MW stages that make up the scheme to be completed by March 2023, according to ACWA's statement. (Reporting by David French; Editing by Andrew Torchia)

http://www.reuters.com/article/dubai-elec-watr-coal-idUSL5N1E606Z

GCC and China sign deal to boost cooperation
Published: 15:28 January 17, 2014

Beijing: The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) and China have agreed a plan to improve ties.

In a final statement at the conclusion of a one-day session of the Third GCC-China Strategic Dialogue, the two sides underlined their desire to continue coordination and cooperation with the aim of strengthening the Sino-GCC relationship.

They agreed to work towards a strategic partnership through solid dialogue and trust and signed the plan of action for the years 2014-17, which would boost the cooperation in the political, economic, trade, energy, environment protection, climate change, culture, education, health and sport fields.

The two sides agreed to establish a free trade zone that would benefit both sides and said that they looked forward to resuming negotiations on the issue.

The dialogue was co-chaired by Kuwait’s First Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Shaikh Sabah Khalid Al Hamad Al Sabah and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi.

GCC and China sign deal to boost cooperation | GulfNews.com

China’s new Silk Road initiatives — a GCC perspective

ABDEL AZIZ ALUWAISHEG

Published — Monday 3 February 2014

Last update 1 February 2014 9:39 pm

On Jan. 17, China’s President Xi Jining and Foreign Minister Wang Yi told a visiting high-level delegation from the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) that China wanted to work with the GCC to promote the building of the new Silk Road economic belt across Asia and Europe. The Silk Road initiatives also included reviving the Maritime Silk Road to connect the Pacific, the Indian Ocean and the Atlantic, which are likely to meet in the Middle East, according to Chinese officials.
GCC countries have welcomed the Chinese initiatives and some of them have already announced that they would actively participate in the construction of the new Silk Road economic belt and the Maritime Silk Road.
The GCC enthusiasm for the Silk Road partnership with China fits in perfectly with the historical role the Arabian Peninsula and the Gulf played in connecting Asia, Africa and Europe. Ancient Arabian merchants nearly monopolized that role for centuries, until European powers wrested it from them in the 16th century.
I noticed during my visits to Beijing with GCC delegations in November 2013 and January 2014 how much importance China is attaching to the new initiatives, which is being promoted with great fanfare at both the official and popular levels.
On Jan. 16, the day before the GCC meetings with Chinese officials, it was announced in Urumqi that the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region will build itself as the transport, financial and logistics center of the land-based Silk Road economic belt in 2014. Nur Bekri, the governor of Xinjiang, a region in northwest China with a Muslim majority, said that the region will keep opening up to Central Asia and Europe and grasp the opportunity to boost the Silk Road economic belt. “Silk Road Economic Belt” agreements were signed with 24 cities from eight countries along the Silk Road in November 2013 alone, to promote greater cooperation, development and prosperity among the countries.
By virtue of those agreements, Xinjiang will promote the establishment of a free trade zone with countries along the route and strengthen multilateral cooperation on agriculture, energy, tourism and culture. At the same time, Xinjiang will keep opening up to the domestic market, and prepare for the transfer of industries from the east region to the west, according to Bekri.
Chinese President Xi Jinping first proposed the idea of the Silk Rod economic belt in September 2013, during his visit to several Central Asian countries, counting on the cultural and commercial revival of the old Silk Road, which historically linked China with those countries as well with the Middle East and Europe, as a way of strengthening China’s political and economic ties with Central Asia.
Land included in the new Silk Road covers about twenty Asian and European countries with a population of three billion people and spread over an area of 50 million square kilometers rich in energy, mining, tourism, cultural and agricultural resources.
During the past decade, China has already changed its approach to Central Asia and the Gulf countries, giving them center stage after many years of neglect, mainly because of their energy and mineral resources. China’s new focus on Asia has led to cultivating good relations with the newly independent former Soviet republics that bordered its western province of Xinjiang, home to several Turkic groups such as the Uyghur, Uzbeks and Kazaks.
In the third quarter of 2013 alone, China announced investments totaling over $100 billion in Central Asian counties President Xi Jinping visited in September, including Turkmenistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan.
According to Chinese and western press reports, the largest agreements were related to energy infrastructure projects. For example, China and Kazakhstan signed 22 agreements worth a combined total of $30 billion. They included a $5 billion deal for the China National Petroleum Corporation to acquire an 8 percent stake in the Kashagan Oil & Gas field.
In Uzbekistan, China signed 31 deals worth $15.5 billion. The two countries agreed to build another oil pipeline, taking the total to four. And China is already funding the construction of an Uzbek-Chinese cross-border railway line. China concluded $7.6 billion-worth of deals in Turkmenistan, including the construction of a new pipeline. In Kyrgyzstan China signed eight agreements worth $5 billion, the largest of which was a $1.4 billion loan to build a new gas pipeline, according to those reports.
China also signed 36 co-operation agreements with an aggregate value of $1.5 billion with Belarus. This included a soft loan from China’s state-owned development bank, Exim, to construct Belarus’s first nuclear power plant.
The initiatives could usher in a new economic and political alliance between China and the rest of Asia, including the Middle East. While many countries have welcomed the new initiatives, including GCC states, Turkey and the United States, China needs to do more to explain its vision about the nature of cooperation it seeks with its prospective partners in bringing the new Silk Road(s) to reality.
For one thing, China has been criticized over the past decade by some observers for the way it managed its extensive energy and infrastructure investments and soft loans in Africa (and elsewhere), accusing it of paying little heed to the needs of host countries. Nevertheless, by and large Africans still maintain a positive attitude toward China, compared to the way they still view the West. China still bills itself as a Third World country, championing the cause of developing countries. But rhetoric and solidarity are not enough to build effective Silk Road partnerships.
However, to maintain that goodwill that developing nations maintain toward China and to keep the positive spirit with which the new Silk Road initiatives has been received, the implementation of those initiatives have to be carried out in a new, more collaborative manner than the trend of Chinese companies has been in the past. GCC countries in particular would like to have a more active role in shaping that proposed partnership, rather than being mere recipients of Chinese investments and products.
The GCC-China Strategic Dialogue, which was launched in 2010, has developed the right tools and as such provides the right rubric under which to craft agreements regarding the new Silk Road, in both its land and maritime components.

China’s new Silk Road initiatives — a GCC perspective | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great news. China is definitely looking for more cooperation with the Arab world and vice versa. Mutual trade with China is already very big when it comes to the GCC member states.

The volume of trade between KSA for instance and China was $73 billion in 2012.

Saudi-China trade surged to SR273.7 billion in 2012 | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

My younger brother is in China right now (Beijing) and he likes it a lot.

China And GCC: Growing Ties » Gulf Business

I would like to see the data for 2013 when it comes to GCC-China relations.

Having very strong relations with China is vital. Time to restore the ancient Arab-Sino ties on all levels.

@Chinese-Dragon @ChineseTiger1986 @Wholegrain

@Hu Songshan how are you doing my brother? Long time no see.

We Pakistani's wish the very best for GCC and Saudi Arabia in particular.There has been paradigm shifts in geopolitics of the region.GCC has taken right initiative with its "look east policy".Same is being done by Turkey.I hope GCC would join SCO in near future.Pakistan surely will act as a catalyst and lnych pin for between GCC and China relationship.

We Pakistani's wish the very best for GCC and Saudi Arabia in particular.There has been paradigm shifts in geopolitics of the region.GCC has taken right initiative with its "look east policy".Same is being done by Turkey.I hope GCC would join SCO in near future.Pakistan surely will act as a catalyst and lnych pin for between GCC and China relationship.

Thank you.

"Roads of Arabia" Exhibition in Beijing draws Chinese media attention

Last Update : 12/28/2016 3:27 PM

251216-news-1.jpg

“Roads of Arabia” Exhibition, which was declared open at the National Museum of China in Beijing on Tuesday, 20 December 2016, by His Royal Highness Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdul Aziz, President of SCTH, along with the Minister of Culture of China, His Excellency Luo Shugang, is drawing huge attention of Chinese media and the Chinese people.

China Daily, a newspaper, in an article titled, “Roads of Arabia reveals a common cultural and historical heritage”, in which it stated that the exhibition is featuring a number of archeological objects that reveal the deep rooted historical ties and cultural relations between Saudi Arabia and the People’s Republic of China, noting that Beijing is the first Asian leg of the exhibition which was also hosted by 5 European countries and 4 US cities where it has attracted throughout all its past international tours, over 4 million visitors around the world.

Mr. Wang Jun, Director of the Art Exhibitions China(AEC), in light of the participation of AEC in the organization of the exhibition, he said, "The exhibition represents a rare opportunity for Chinese people to recognize the Kingdom’s deep rooted, rich cultural heritage which the displayed relics demonstrate."

Mr. Wang Jun added that, the ancient Maritime Silk Road was prosperous because of flourishing civilizations along the marine route in China and the Arabian Peninsula. This exhibition boosts the spirit of cooperation within the framework of the new Silk Road initiative between the two countries through deepening understanding of great historical and cultural heritage of the two countries.

Another important Chinese newspaper quoted HRH Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdul Aziz as saying that the exhibition represents the convergence between Saudi and Chinese civilizations. The importance of the exhibition is that it shows that the Kingdom, besides its economic influence, has a long history and rich culture, which resonates in response to the Chinese side, assuring that the preservation of heritage is the protection of it for the future, and that there are many opportunities for cooperation between the two sides in various fields of culture.

The Daily also quoted the Minister of Culture of China, Luo Shugang, saying “Saudi Arabia was an important link to connect China with the West through the Maritime Silk Road and this exhibition displays a number of Chinese relics that were found in the heart of Saudi desert, dating back to a period between (618-1279 CE) indicating the prosperous relationship between the two countries in the ancient times.

Noteworthy, Minister of Culture of China had recently praised “Roads of Arabia” exhibition, commending its exhibits which highlight the cultural dimension of the Kingdom and its great history and heritage, indicating that the exhibition enhances the cultural and heritage relations between China and Saudi Arabia, especially that the two countries have great heritage and the Chinese love civilizations and show respect for nations of civilizations.

Roads of Arabia offers a rare opportunity for the Chinese audience and the National Museum of China, opening a new page of heritage and cultural exchanges and cooperation between the two countries, as this is the first ever event of its kind opened along the history of cooperation between the two countries in the field of Antiquities, and the first time that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia holds an exhibition for Saudi antiquities in China.

Chinese Minister of Culture at the end of his statement expressed his confidence that the exhibition will attract thousands of Chinese visitors who will come to identify the distinguished Saudi archaeological treasures which highlight the Arabic cultures.

https://www.scta.gov.sa/en/MediaCenter/News/GeneralNews/Pages/z-g-1-26-12-16.aspx

ARAB NEWS | Published — Monday 2 January 2017

25yufq1.jpg

Chinese Tourism Minister Li Jinzao, left, during his visit to the “Roads of Arabia” expo in Beijing on Saturday. (SPA)​

BEIJING: Chinese Tourism Minister Li Jinzao and his wife on Friday visited the “Roads of Arabia” exhibition at the National Museum of China in Beijing at the invitation of Prince Sultan bin Salman, president of the Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage (SCTH).

The minister viewed all the pieces on display at the exhibition.
The Chinese minister expressed his admiration for the well-organized exhibition and its comprehensiveness, and the message it conveys of the Arabian Peninsula to the world. He said the exhibition will go a long way in making the Chinese understand the depth of the civilization of Saudi Arabia, which to the Chinese is known more as an economic and political power.
The minister and his entourage were received by Saudi Ambassador to China Turki Al-Madi.
Prince Sultan opened the “Roads of Arabia” exhibition in Beijing on Tuesday. The exhibition includes 446 archaeological pieces illustrating the depth of the Arab civilization and its history of more than 1 million years.
Beijing is the first stop of the exhibition’s Asian tour. The exhibition has been displayed in four European countries, and five cities in the United States, in addition to being held locally at the King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture in Dhahran.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1032836/saudi-arabia

If Chinese users here on PDF live in Beijing or nearby areas, they should give this exhibition a visit. Almost 500 artifacts of which the vast majority are pre-Islamic and about 1/5 of the artifacts are 5000 + years old! Some of the artifacts are almost 8000 years old. The "Roads of Arabia" exhibition has had full houses everywhere so far. 4 million visitors in total across the US, France, Germany, Russia and Spain.

See related thread below for more information:

https://defence.pk/threads/one-of-t...nt-tombs-discovered-in-ksa-from-space.443566/

RASHID HASSAN | Published — Saturday 7 January 2017

screen_shot_2017-01-07_at_12.13.07_am.png

RIYADH: A Saudi consulate has opened in Guangzhou city, China, with the aim of further boosting relations between the two countries.​

“The new Saudi consulate general was inaugurated in Guangzhou city on Monday,” Osama Nugali, head of the media department at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Riyadh, told Arab News on Friday.
The commissioning of the consulate reflects a “willingness to consolidate bilateral relations in various aspects of mutual cooperation,” Nugali added.
Both countries are keen to enhance bilateral cooperation including economic, cultural and strategic relations.
To this end the Kingdom’s “Roads of Arabia” exhibition of archaeological masterpieces has opened at the National Museum in Beijing, the first stop on the Asian leg.
The exhibition has achieved a good reception having already been held at international museums in American and European cities since its inception at the Louvre in Paris.
In order to enhance economic cooperation, a delegation from the Chinese Consulate recently visited the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and discussed aspects of the partnership, the development of investments and economic and trade relations between the two countries.
During the visit by Chinese President Xi Jinping to the Kingdom in January last year Saudi Arabia and China agreed to establish a comprehensive strategic partnership.
In a joint communique at the end of the key visit, the two countries expressed satisfaction over the enormous development the relations have witnessed since the establishment of diplomatic relations in July 1990.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1035376/saudi-arabia

Analysis: China and Saudi Arabia: Reinvigorating ties
Naser Al-Tamimi | Published — Thursday 16 March 2017

nasser-al-tamimi-1.jpg

At the invitation of Chinese President Xi Jinping, Saudi Arabia’s King Salman is paying a state visit to China. The visit by the monarch, arguably the most strategically significant leg of his month-long Asia tour, comes as Riyadh has boosted its efforts to diversify the economy away from oil dependence, and broaden the Kingdom’s foreign partners.
Although energy and trade will likely occupy an important place in the talks between the two leaders, the relations between both countries have expanded in various fields, especially in defense and security.
Energy cooperation remains the foundation of relations between Saudi Arabia, the world’s top exporter of crude oil, and China, the world’s biggest importer. China’s oil consumption has risen dramatically from 2.9 million barrels per day (mbpd) in 1993 to 11.90 mbpd in 2016. Thus, oil imports have also rapidly increased, rising from zero percent in 1993 to more than 66 percent of China’s total oil supply, or around 7.6 mbpd last year.
Importantly, the International Energy Agency (IEA) expects China’s appetite for crude oil imports to remain strong over the next decade, growing at an average rate of 2.4 percent over 2017-2022 to around 9.4 mbpd in 2022, with a possible additional 1.5-2 mbpd by 2030. In this context, Saudi Arabia will fight very hard to protect its growing energy interests in China.
Beyond oil, China also offers important economic advantages to Saudi Arabia’s sizeable downstream and petrochemicals sectors. Saudi Basic Industries Corp. (SABIC) already holds a stake in a polycarbonate complex in Tianjin with China Petroleum & Chemical Corporation (Sinopec Group), while Saudi Aramco holds a stake in the Fujian Refining & Petrochemical Company.
Against this backdrop the main concern for Riyadh is the future trajectory of China’s economy and the uncertainty over its oil demand. Growing competition is also an emerging challenge as Saudi Arabia is now facing competition for Chinese market share from Russia, Iraq, Iran, Venezuela and even Brazil.
Russia last year overtook Saudi Arabia to become China’s biggest crude oil supplier for the first time ever, shipping some 1.05 mbpd compared to Saudi Arabia’s 1.02 mbpd. Meanwhile, China’s petrochemical capacity is also projected to grow significantly over the coming years, while the yuan devaluation is reducing production costs and raising the price of imports. This situation would inevitably reduce the country’s reliance on imports.

Top trade partner
China’s rapid economic development over the past three decades contributed to a significant increase in its oil imports. In the process, Saudi Arabia become China’s top partner in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA). Looking forward, HSBC projects that China will remain the number one export market for Saudi Arabia to 2030, and will increase its dominance given its still relatively fast growth and demand for energy.
Today, more than 160 Chinese companies are operating in several sectors of the Saudi economy and the number of Chinese projects in the Kingdom reached around 175. The Chinese economic footprint in Saudi Arabia is most pronounced in the telecommunication and construction sectors. Huawei Technologies has a prominent presence in Saudi Arabia and represents one of the major success stories of Chinese companies in the Kingdom.
Yet China-Saudi relations are still transactional in their nature and have been restricted mainly to energy exports (oil, petroleum products and petrochemicals), Chinese manufacturing goods and limited cross-investment. To be sure, the trade between the two countries has dropped significantly to $42.4 billion in 2016, a decline of almost 18 percent from the previous year and nearly 40 percent since 2014, when the oil prices started to decline.
In this context lies the importance of the Saudi king’s visit to China, especially to attract more Chinese investment to the Kingdom and the use of Chinese expertise to contribute to the diversification of the Saudi economy away from oil.

Growing defense ties
Developing strategic relations with China is one of the most important foreign policy goals of Riyadh in the coming years. In January 2016, during President Xi Jinping’s state visit to Saudi Arabia, the two countries established a comprehensive strategic partnership.
From the Saudi perspective, Beijing could be regarded as a valuable source of political support as Saudi Arabia continues a path of selective economic reforms whilst also seeking to deflect Western pressure in the political arena. For example, last October China backed Saudi Arabia’s sovereign immunity and criticized the so-called Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA).
Counterterrorism is an emerging area of cooperation between the two countries. Last November, Riyadh and Beijing revealed a five-year plan for security cooperation including counterterrorism cooperation and joint military drills.
There is potential for Chinese companies to win more Saudi defense procurement over the next decade, particularly as Riyadh is seeking to diversify its military sources, and receive technology transfer as Riyadh aims ambitiously to localize over 50 percent of military equipment spending by 2030.
All in all, and despite several obstacles, Saudi-Chinese relations will be strengthened steadily in the future. Or as Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Hua Chunying, during her regular press conference on March 13, put it: “We stand ready to take King Salman’s visit as an opportunity to take China-Saudi Arabia comprehensive strategic partnership to a higher level.”

• Dr. Naser Al-Tamimi is a UK-based Middle East researcher, political analyst and commentator with interests in energy politics and Gulf-Asia relations. Al-Tamimi is author of the book “China-Saudi Arabia Relations, 1990-2012: Marriage of Convenience or Strategic Alliance?” He can be reached on Twitter @nasertamimi and e-mail: nasertamimi@hotmail.co.uk.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1068981/saudi-arabia

SAUDI ARABIA
Saudi-China business talks to boost trade and investment — official
Mohammed Rasooldeen | Published — Thursday 16 March 2017

873336-728814908.jpg

Abdullah Al-Mobty

RIYADH: The meeting of the Saudi-China Business Council in Beijing on Thursday is expected to help boost trade and investment between the Kingdom and China, an official has said.
Abdullah Al-Mobty, chairman of the council, told Arab News that the business talks will coincide with King Salman’s visit to Beijing.
Al-Mobty said the discussions at the bilateral business talks will focus on cooperation in a number of areas, such as the Silk Road Economic Belt, part of a wider initiative of integrating trade and investment in Eurasia.
The trade volume between China and the Kingdom in 2016 was $42.36 billion, a decline of 18 percent on the previous year.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1068976/saudi-arabia

SAUDI ARABIA
King Salman’s visit to Beijing will boost relations: Envoy
Mohammed Rasooldeen | Published — Wednesday 8 March 2017

868196-1799332163.jpg

Li Huaxin
RIYADH: The visit of King Salman to Beijing on March 15 will be a landmark occasion, China’s ambassador in Riyadh, Li Huaxin, told Arab News on Tuesday.
Describing Saudi-Sino relations as going from strength to strength, Li said the visit will further boost those relations. He added that a comprehensive program has been lined up for the visiting king, and will be announced soon when the agenda is mutually agreed.
Chinese President Xi Jinping visited the Kingdom as part of his Middle East tour in January last year, during which the two sides decided to enhance bilateral ties to a comprehensive strategic partnership. Seven months later, Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman visited Beijing.
Li said: “The two countries have a similar vision in facing global challenges in the march toward economic, social and political developments.”
In January this year, Saudi Arabia opened a consulate in the Chinese city of Guangzhou with the aim of boosting bilateral relations.
Saudi-Sino trade volume in 2016 was $42.36 billion, including Chinese imports of $23.61 billion from the Kingdom and exports of $18.75 billion. Crude oil imports from the Kingdom were estimated at 51 million tons.
Saudi investments in China in 2016 amounted to $13.45 million, while Chinese investments in the Kingdom during the same period amounted to $120.54 million.
Li said areas of bilateral cooperation could be further diversified under Saudi Vision 2030.
Major Chinese companies and businesses are seeking cooperation with Saudi counterparts, especially in the areas of petrochemicals, natural gas, electricity generation, water desalination, transportation, telecommunications and electronics.
Li said there were 14,500 Chinese Haj pilgrims last year. “We are thankful to the Saudi government for its kind assistance in making their pilgrimage an unqualified success,” he added.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1064966/saudi-arabia

Saudi-Chinese ties get a fillip with King’s historic visit
March 16, 2017

http://pinterest.com/pin/create/but....com.sa/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/king-2.jpg

Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman being received at Beijing International Airport on Wednesday. — SPA

Beijing — Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman arrived in China on Wednesday on an official visit.

The King was received at Beijing International Airport by State Councilor Yang Jiechi. A girl presented a bouquet of roses to the King.

King Salman will hold talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping and other senior leaders.

During the King’s stay, the two sides will discuss enhancing cooperation in areas such as culture, economy, trade, technology, security and defense.

They are expected to sign several agreements and memoranda on education, investment, transfer of technology, industry and trade.

Xi Jinping paid a state visit to Saudi Arabia in January 2016, during which the two countries enhanced their ties to a comprehensive strategic partnership.

Saudi Arabia is one of the first countries that have responded positively to China’s Belt and the Road Initiative, which was proposed by Xi in 2013 with an aim to build a trade and infrastructure network connecting Asia with Europe and Africa along the ancient Silk Road trade routes by land and sea.

Saudi Arabia, a hub connecting Asia, Africa and Europe, hopes to play a bigger role in the initiative and integrate it with the “Saudi Vision 2030,” a growth strategy it launched last year to diversify its heavily oil-dependent economy.

The Saudi-Chinese relationship can reach such a high level also thanks to the broad common interests nurtured by both.

In recent years, with great complementarity in their industrial structures, the two countries have furthered cooperation in such fields as energy, trade, investment and infrastructure construction.

China became Saudi Arabia’s largest trading partner in 2015 and Saudi Arabia has been China’s biggest crude oil supplier and largest trading partner in West Asia for years.

Enjoying such a close relationship, China and Saudi Arabia are expected to further consolidate the ties.

http://saudigazette.com.sa/saudi-arabia/saudi-chinese-ties-get-fillip-kings-historic-visit/

:china::smitten::pakistan:And our dear Saudi friends! The only country we sold our ballistic missile to. Maybe few big defense deal will be signed during his honour King's visit.

a41f87e1-f497-4ee0-9229-eee0428bb833_size557_w1024_h625.jpg

Closer China-Saudi Arabia Ties
All eyes on Saudi King Salman's China visit in anticipation of major agreements​

By Hichem Karoui | Web Exclusive

King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud of Saudi Arabia pays his first state visit to China at the invitation of Chinese President Xi Jinping, the talks between the two leaders are expected to further the upgraded partnership between the two countries. Security, both in the Middle East and global, trade and infrastructure are expected to be on the agenda.

The China visit from March 15-18 is an important leg in King Salman's month-long Asia tour that started with Malaysia. The royal entourage arrives in Beijing from Tokyo.

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said at a press conference in Beijing last week that China was committed to strong relations with both Saudi Arabia and Iran, an indication of China's desire for peace among major and opposing powers in the Middle East.

Upgraded ties

China-Saudi Arabia bilateral relations were upgraded to a comprehensive strategic partnership in January 2016 when President Xi held talks with King Salman in Riyadh during his Middle East tour.

A joint communique issued after the meeting outlined future cooperation areas. It said the two sides were keen to exchange high-level visits, enhance strategic contacts on bilateral relations and on regional and international issues of common concern, tighten strategic cooperation, and consolidate mutual strategic trust.

Saudi Arabia confirmed its commitment to the one-China policy while the Chinese side confirmed its support for Riyadh's efforts to preserve the security and stability of the country, develop its economy and a bigger role for Saudi Arabia in the regional and international affairs.

Recognizing that China and Saudi Arabia have extensive and common interests on many major regional and international issues, the two sides pledged to forge close coordination and cooperation in international organizations, including the UN and G20.

The two leaders also welcomed the restart of negotiations for a free trade agreement (FTA) between China and the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council, begun in 2004 and stalled for six years. Subsequently, the eighth round of FTA talks was held in Beijing in October followed by the ninth round in Riyadh in December.

The next round is scheduled for the end of March 2017. The king's visit is expected to facilitate the negotiations.

Energy ties

upload_2017-3-16_10-26-59.png

In August, Saudi Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman visited China, which resulted in the signing of 15 preliminary agreements on

different fields including oil storage, water resources, cooperation on science and technology, and cultural cooperation.

The prince also represented Saudi Arabia at the G20 Summit in Hangzhou where President Xi said China regards Saudi Arabia as an important cooperation partner in the Silk Road Economic Belt and the 21st-Century Maritime Silk Road Initiative (Belt and Road Initiative).

Prince Mohammed bin Salman presented his economic reform plan at the summit, which envisages state spending of around 270 billion riyals ($72 billion) in five years on projects to diversify the economy.

Riyadh also plans to sell about 5 percent stake in national oil giant Saudi Aramco and Chinese investment could prove crucial.

The Saudi Government had said earlier that Aramco was holding discussions with China National Petroleum Corporation and Sinopec for investment for refining crude oil, marketing and petrochemicals.

China continues to be Saudi Arabia's largest trading partner and one of the biggest importers of Saudi crude oil, with imports amounting to about 51 million tons in 2016.

King Salman's visit could open new investment opportunities, including the sale of Aramco shares and agreements on the Belt and Road Initiative as well as related to Saudi Vision 2030, the kingdom's growth blueprint that was unveiled at the Hangzhou Summit by Prince Mohammed.

New cooperation

A relatively new aspect of Sino-Saudi cooperation concerns military ties. Chinese Defense Minister Chang Wanquan said in August that both sides had exchanged visits by high-ranking military officials with cooperation in equipment technology and personnel training.

Prince Mohammed bin Salman, also Saudi Arabia's defense minister, said China is an important and reliable partner of Saudi Arabia, and Saudi Arabia was ready to strengthen strategic cooperation with China, including in military areas.

The Saudis are already using Chinese technology. The two countries have signed two memoranda of understanding on nuclear cooperation and space technology. A Chinese naval fleet paid a friendly visit to Saudi Arabia in January.

Saudi Arabia's King Abdulaziz City for Science and Technology is working to complete an indigenous satellite to be launched via Chinese space rocket Long March 2D to support remote sensing services in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.bjreview.com.cn/World/201703/t20170315_800091451.html

Saudi Arabia sings 21 MoUs with China, grants trading licenses for two companies
45aeeb26-6498-4038-a417-17b4e57c15e4_16x9_788x442.JPG

China’s President Xi Jinping and Saudi King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud arrive for a ceremony at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. (Reuters)

Staff writer, Al Arabiya English
Thursday, 16 March 2017

At least 21 Memorandums of Understandings were signed in the latest Saudi-China Business Forum meeting that was attended by Saudi King Salman.

The key focus on the latest meeting on Thursday was to find further opportunities for Chinese investments in coordination with by Saudi Vision 2030 in multiple fields.

Also on Thursday, two Chinese companies – Shandong Tiangong Mechanical & Electrical Equipment Limited Company and ZTE – were granted licenses to invest and trade in Saudi Arabia.

Deputy Chinese Foreign Minister Zhang Ming said the agreements involved investment, energy, space and other areas.

King Salman, who has overseen the launch of an ambitious economic reform plan since his accession two years ago, is on a month-long Asian tour.

Last Update: Thursday, 16 March 2017 KSA 15:26 - GMT 12:26

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/bu...rabia-sign-agreements-worth-about-65-bln.html

Saudi Arabia and China agree huge investment deals

chinese-president-xi-jinping-shake-hands-with-saudi-arabias-king-bin-picture-id653692350
King Salman is in China as part of his Asian tour, with billions of dollars in deals signed as Beijing pushes its economic interests into the Middle East.

Date of publication: 16 March, 2017

China and Saudi Arabia signed agreements potentially worth tens of billions of dollars on Thursday, Beijing said, as President Xi Jinping welcomed Saudi Arabia's King Salman on a state visit.

The visit by the 81-year-old king comes as China pursues a charm offensive towards the Middle East, where it has previously kept a low profile.

The trip returns the favour after Xi visited the kingdom last year as part of the first state visit to the Middle East by a Chinese leader in seven years.

No specifics were given about the 14 memoranda of understanding that were signed at Beijing's Great Hall of the People, which included agreements in energy, and a range of other spheres.

But China's Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Ming told reporters various projects could be worth up to $65 billion.

King Salman arrived Wednesday with a reportedly massive entourage of around 1,000 people following stops in Japan, Malaysia and Indonesia as part of a month-long Asia tour.

Local media in countries they visited have fixated on Salman's lavish travelling party, which is said to have included luxury vehicles, an 80-inch television and hundreds of tons of luggage.

China is pivoting towards the Middle East, and Saudi Arabia is strengthening its alliances in East Asia, as the US' global diplomatic stance under President Donald Trump remains unclear.

China depends on the volatile Middle East for oil supplies but has long taken a back seat in its disputes.

But over the past year Xi has taken a new approach, with steps that include offering to host talks between the opposing parties in the Syria war.

Zhang said both the Syrian and Yemen wars were discussed on Thursday, with the two parties agreeing that the crises should be resolved through political discussions.

China is also pushing Xi's signature "One Belt, One Road" policy, a strategy to increase trade links and market connectivity between China, Europe and regions in between, based loosely on the ancient "Silk Road" trading route.

"This visit will push forward and continue to improve the quality of our relations and bear new fruit," Xi told the king, who entered their meeting walking gingerly with a cane and later arrived at the day's closing ceremonies in a small green motorised cart.

China has been Saudi Arabia's largest trading partner since 2015 and the kingdom was for years the biggest source of crude oil for the fuel-hungry Chinese economy.

Russia last year supplanted the Saudis as China's top oil source, according to official Chinese statistics.

The visit is the monarch's first to China since taking the throne in 2015.

Ties between Riyadh and Washington were strained during the Obama administration, and although they are expected to improve under Trump, the Saudis are keen to solidify East Asian ties as a hedge.

"Past (China-Saudi) ties were good, but at least from a Saudi perspective, can use a significant boost," said Joseph Kechichian, a senior fellow at Riyadh's King Faisal Centre for Research and Islamic Studies.

In an interview with Chinese state news agency Xinhua, Saudi ambassador Turki Bin Mohamed al-Mady emphasised his country's potential role in the "One Belt, One Road" initiative.

"In terms of strategic location, Saudi Arabia serves as the central hub connecting three continents - Asia, Africa and Europe - and has been an important part of the initiative," Mady said.

Zhang said Salman pledged Saudi Arabia's enthusiastic participation in the trade project.

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2017/3/16/saudi-arabia-and-china-agree-huge-investment-deals

Wonderful news and long-live KSA/Arab/China friendship and cooperation!

Back
Top Bottom