Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Don't care

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hello miss Aylin, fan of you.

1249083602.jpg

Yeah, I'm a fan of her also :)

But does anyone know what happened to this thread? Why can't I see the posts?

Yeah, I'm a fan of her also :)

But does anyone know what happened to this thread? Why can't I see the posts?

This thread is old. I think when forum switched to it's new format. Some of the threads got corrupted.

You might wanna look into this thread if you are interested in Gezi Protests.

Turkey's Protests - Rebooted

Last edited by a moderator:
new%2Beoz%2Blogo3.png

From Kate O’Sullivan and Laura Benitez at Vice:

vice_logo.png

9G3A0676-copy.jpg

A Turkish protest for internet freedom in February. Photos by Charles Emir Richards

"Journalists wanted for international news agency," read the Guardian job ad. As an editor in an industry where legitimate opportunities are few and far between, you apply for pretty much any full-time job you see, so apply we did. A couple of months later, we arrived in Ankara, Turkey, ready to “write history” as the first international journalists to be welcomed into the Anadolu Agency (AA) family.

We joined the agency in January, supposedly to edit English-language news, but quickly found ourselves becoming English-language spin doctors. The AA’s editorial line on domestic politics—and Syria—was so intently pro-government that we might as well have been writing press releases. Two months into the job, we listened to Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç talking some shit about press freedom from an event at London's Chatham House, downplaying the number of imprisoned journalists in Turkey. Soon after that, we got the chance to visit London on business. We grabbed it and resigned as soon as we hit UK soil.

Established in 1920, the AA was once a point of national pride. Today, it's at the end of one of the many sets of strings in the ruling AK Party’s puppet parade. Most of Turkey’s TV stations are heavily influenced by the state, and the few opposition channels can expect to have their licenses revoked at any time or be banned from broadcasting key events, such as live election footage or anything that might detract from how fantastic the government is doing.

For example, Turkey’s media regulator, RTUK, fined the networks that aired footage of last year’s Gezi Park protests. Funnily enough, the watchdog is made up of nine “elected” members nominated by political parties—and the more seats in parliament a faction has, the more influence it possesses.

Media outlets that aren't being hounded by RTUK can always look forward to direct intervention from Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan himself. In 2009, independent mogul Aydin Dogan’s media group—made up of various newspapers and TV channels, CNN Türk, and a news agency—was fined $2.5 billion for evading taxes. Incidentally, the audit came just after one of the group’s platforms published news on the Lighthouse charity scandal, which saw a German court convict three Turkish businessmen for funnelling $28.3 million into their personal accounts.

In one recent leaked recording, Erdogan is heard asking his former justice minister to ensure that Dogan be punished. Since then, the Dogan empire has been bound and gagged accordingly...
It is easy to see a slick, modern looking website and assume that it is a professional, independent site. One has nothing to do with the other.

I don't really like Vice because of their love for "freedom fighters", as they call them, but I really am concerned about the press freedom in Turkey. I wish the best for those who - by peaceful means - struggle for a more transparent society.

@Solomon2 while West can lecture as much as it wants, the press & media in US is not free either. Media here does not deviate from US policy. If someone criticizes US on its policy, that individual is totally blacked out from mainstream media.

Different countries have different ways to shut down voices of criticism. We can disagree on the methods, but we must agree the countries in the West, no matter how much they lecture the world on press freedom, do censor media.

Anyone who talks against drones, is not allowed US media air time or US visa. This is how US curtails freedom. So it must not be the one to be critical of others when it does not practice what it preaches.

Anti Corruption operations thread has been merged with the national politics thread.

Translation please. :-)

Enough of this secret Turkish club fetish, we want to know too. :P
A retired Turkish Army colonel, a veteran of the fight against PKK terror, one of the greatest experts on the kurdish issue is speaking on the roots of the kurdish revolts in the first video. And explaining how the government is holding the army back in the fight in the second video.

What to understand:

1)Throught history no kurdish revolt ever started in anatolia.
1.a)all of the kurdish revlots were started by certain families
1.b)all of these families were members of a single cult.
1.c)Barzani, Talabani and Erdogan along with certain people in the Turkish government are members of this cult (big allegation)

2)Barzani and Talabani families are directly behind PKK terror.
2.a)Whenever Turkish army enters Iraq, key terrorist leaders flee to south.
2.b)Government doesn't let the Army chase terrorists into Barzani territory.
2.c)Government doesn't do anything to stop financial support on PKK from Europe.

Last edited:
A retired Turkish Army colonel, a veteran of the fight against PKK terror, one of the greatest experts on the kurdish issue is speaking on the roots of the kurdish revolts in the first video. And explaining how the government is holding the army back in the fight in the second video.

What to understand:

1)Throught history no kurdish revolt ever started in anatolia.
1.a)all of the kurdish revlots were started by certain families
1.b)all of these families were members of a single cult.
1.c)Barzani, Talabani and Erdogan along with certain people in the Turkish government are members of this cult (big allegation)

2)Barzani and Talabani families are directly behind PKK terror.
2.a)Whenever Turkish army enters Iraq, key terrorist leaders flee to south.
2.b)Government doesn't let the Army chase terrorists into Barzani territory.
2.c)Government doesn't do anything to stop financial support on PKK from Europe.

I don't buy it, I also don't believe perpetual conflict is needed. If there is calm let there be calm, there shouldn't be excessive violence.

I don't buy it, I also don't believe perpetual conflict is needed. If there is calm let there be calm, there shouldn't be excessive violence.
The problem is, we're letting the terrorists dictate when will there be calm, and when will the action take place.

They don't sit on their arses they seize the day. Just because they are not attacking doesn't mean they aren't engaged with drugs trafficking and propaganda and all kinds of illegal activity and gain strength. They can't survive a prolonged fight against our superior forces. So the government is keeping the shackles on (it's true they never let an all-out invasion of the PKK territory)

The problem is, we're letting the terrorists dictate when will there be calm, and when will the action take place.

They don't sit on their arses they seize the day. Just because they are not attacking doesn't mean they aren't engaged with drugs trafficking and propaganda and all kinds of illegal activity and gain strength. They can't survive a prolonged fight against our superior forces. So the government is keeping the shackles on (it's true they never let an all-out invasion of the PKK territory)

What's the conflict over exactly? Could you summarize it in short?

Back
Top Bottom