What's new

AERO INDIA 2009: India unveils plans for LCA 'Mark 2'

JaiShriRAM

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
India plans to begin work on an upgraded version of the Tejas Light Combat Aircraft, with industry aiming to start deliveries of these "Mark II" aircraft after the first 40 have been manufactured.

"The LCA Mark 2 will have a bigger and more powerful engine, the fuselage will be changed, it will have bigger wings, and the aircraft will be more aerodynamic," says Hindustan Aeronautics chairman Ashok Baweja, whose company manufactures the fighter. "There are upgrades down the line in every global fighter programme and that is the case with the Tejas as well."

He adds that HAL will deliver 40 LCAs to the Indian Air Force in the Mark I configuration - 20 in the fighter configuration and 20 in the trainer configuration. The IAF is expected to eventually order up to 220 LCAs and the Indian navy another 20, and the remaining aircraft will be in the Mark II configuration.

A naval version of the LCA will fly within a year, although this version of the aircraft still faces numerous challenges, says Baweja.

The Tejas, which was developed by the Aeronautical Development Agency, has been in the works for more than a decade. It has faced several delays due to problems with the aircraft's design and the development of an indigenous engine. The IAF refused to commit to the LCA until 2003, and has only ordered 20 due to worries about the aircraft's capabilities. Over 1,000 test flights have now been completed on the six prototypes, and the ADA has decided to buy an international engine, most likely the General Electric GE-F414, to power the fighter.

:yahoo:

The first one isn't a success yet and they're planning for the II.

Thanks for the laugh. :tup:

The first one isn't a success yet and they're planning for the II.

Thanks for the laugh. :tup:
Well a better name would be LCA Failure 2.On a serious note, It wont arrive anytime before 2012 at least)

Last edited:
sir i have already posted this idea before india should make the lca a totally r&d project and start work on the next fighter from the scratch and look to finish it in 10 years max incorporating the knowledge from lca,

its not logical to laugh off the lca just because a huge number of experience is gained by the indians in the lca and also its true that the lca has still not seen the light of the day and they speak of the 2nd and 3 rd config.

thanx

MCA DESIGN

3bd057a59f17cd6928631f5fa5caa525.jpg

I can't say about MCA.
But this can or should be design of future version of LCA.
:what:

Yes it is wind tunnel model for MCA. One of my friend from AI confirms this. Specs are not given out in spite of constant probing from him. So it will take some time to come out

Yes it is wind tunnel model for MCA. One of my friend from AI confirms this. Specs are not given out in spite of constant probing from him. So it will take some time to come out

nitesh can u plz tell us more about the latest development of MCA

by the way, this wind tunnel model looks really cool

nitesh can u plz tell us more about the latest development of MCA

by the way, this wind tunnel model looks really cool

It is more in study phase this model is to test basically aerodynamics of the design the design will go in iteration phases then the work will begin. The good thing is all the stake holders are sync (trying to be :)) hence the work will be lot smoother. But please don't speculate anything. Give it min 1 year time to let the specs come out

one more question nitesh

Do u really think is there any future of MCA as we are going to get PAK(FGFA)?

or we r going the US way

F-22 raptor along with JSF

I think it will be a deadly combo

well long term plan is the same direction but a long shot. We don't have the same budget as the US has. If you look after 10 years say about 2020. We will have something like this

Su 30 MKI with some initial PAK FA
MRCA along with MiG27/ Jaguars/ MiG29/ Mirage2k in there last leg of there life some might get retired by that time

LCA and some headway in MCA (let us not speculate anything about MCA as of now).

Then after 10-15 years logical way to go will be

MKI in last leg of life with PAK FA
MRCA LCA in lst leg of life and MCA

so expect this to happen in long term min 20-25 years

guys defense research is no longer monopoly of DRDO in india. they are distributing defense projects in engineering collages like iit's. me and my friend recently finished designing electric gloves for siachin soldiers and our professor was pushing us so we completed this project in a month. our department got project on radar tech also.
similarly few projects gone to other iit's. you will see great pace in field of defense from now on in India.

you never know India might able to pull rabbit out of the hole.[this info for Indian members to cheer up and Pakistani members can have laugh and wait for another failure;)]
good luck to us all :enjoy:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom