Babur Han

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Turkish PM seeks cause of coastal no vote in charter poll

Wednesday, September 15, 2010
ANKARA - Hürriyet Daily News

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoðan. DHA photo

Turkeys prime minister has asked party officials to prepare a report analyzing the reasons why people in the western and southern coastal regions of Turkey predominantly voted no in Sundays referendum on constitutional reform.

The majority of the nations 42 percent of no votes came from provinces in Turkeys coastal areas, especially those in the Mediterranean and Aegean regions.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoðan instructed officials in the ruling Justice and Development Party, or AKPs, Central Executive Meeting, or MYK, Tuesday to prepare the report, placing particular emphasis on district-by-district analysis of the reasons behind the no vote, daily Milliyet reported Wednesday.

Meanwhile, deputy AKP leader Hüseyin Çelik said general elections would be held after the MYK meeting in the summer of 2011.

He also said the idea of implementing a presidential system was not on the partys agenda.

Meanwhile, Erdoðan will meet representatives of the media in Istanbul on Saturday to discuss the countrys most pressing issues and the problems and concerns of the media.

Turkish PM seeks cause of coastal ‘no’ vote in charter poll - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

I can give him the reason. Those areas are generally the most modernized areas in turkey. Many of the secularists live there and also where i visit during my summers :cheers:

He should look at which places gave him a huge yes vote. They were eastern areas like Van. I wonder why. I remember during the 09 elections i was watching the poll results coming in at a cafe and Izmir came in. Couple guys behind me said that is a christian state and it has more churches then mosques. (Made me smile)

I can give him the reason. Those areas are generally the most modernized areas in turkey. Many of the secularists live there and also where i visit during my summers :cheers:

He should look at which places gave him a huge yes vote. They were eastern areas like Van. I wonder why. I remember during the 09 elections i was watching the poll results coming in at a cafe and Izmir came in. Couple guys behind me said that is a christian state and it has more churches then mosques. (Made me smile)

Do you mean the Region of Van ?

Most modernized areas ? They are more modernised than ankara istanbul sakarya kocaeli bursa ... ?

The majority of the nations 42 percent of no votes came from provinces in Turkeys coastal areas, especially those in the Mediterranean and Aegean regions. [/url]

There has to be some socio-economic and political reason that these province voted No in the referendum. How have these region voted in last two elections ? Have they voted for CHP and/or MHP members ?

There has to be some socio-economic and political reason that these province voted No in the referendum. How have these region voted in last two elections ? Have they voted for CHP and/or MHP members ?

Generally the vote has been CHP

Most modernized areas ? They are more modernised than ankara istanbul sakarya kocaeli bursa ... ?

I shouldn't say most modernized but those places that voted no have a heavy secularist base. I was referring to the percentage difference more so since votes in the eastern areas were heavily in favor of the reforms while votes in places like Istanbul and Ankara was more of a split.

Back
Top Bottom