What's new

Navy to buy seven submarines

ajpirzada

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Pakistan Navy is in discussions with China and France to acquire seven latest conventional submarines, negotiations with Germany to purchase three U-214 is also on cards.

Chinese version offers economical price of around $230 million for each boat.

To negotiate with French DCN Company for Marline Submarines, a high level naval delegation will visit France on April 27.

Reliable sources from Pakistan Navy told DawnNews that after three years of continuous negotiations with Germany PN has decided to avail some other options as well for acquiring next-generation submarines.

Sources maintained that Islamabad is deeply interested in acquiring four Chinese Yuan and Song Class and three French Marlin class latest diesel electric conventional versions in a bid to meet any challenge from the rapidly expanding Indian navy.

Initially German company HDW had drawn up technical specifications for three U-214 boats and a billion dollars contract also intact and was almost final.—DawnNews

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Navy to buy seven submarines

Thanks for the update Pirzada Saab

Now if we go for 7 chinese and french Submarines...... forget the Germany subs for good :cry:

does it mean that PN would endup buying 10 subs including Uboats merlin and Chinese subs.

if i am not wrong we already have 8 subs in inventory and this buy will give is a capable fleet of 18 state of the art subs for multiple type roles.

Thanks perzada sahab.

Great news, great news in many many ways.

Chinese are coming for sure, and it makes sense, as the surface fleet is being expanded to multiple times of the present, a proportional sub fleet expansion is also necessary. It will also help in maintaining proportional parity with the rapidly expanding Indian Navy.

Regarding Merlin and U-boats, any of them would do the job, though U-boats will be most preferable. But even if they don't end up in our arsenal, it doesn't mean the end of world. Merlin as an alternative is not bad either and will give Pakistan Navy, that qualitative parity in terms of technology.

The good point though is, that past rumors about U-bouts have be rebuffed.

:pakistan:

Adios

does it mean that PN would endup buying 10 subs including Uboats merlin and Chinese subs.

if i am not wrong we already have 8 subs in inventory and this buy will give is a capable fleet of 18 state of the art subs for multiple type roles.

Thanks perzada sahab.

we will never go for french and german subs at the same time. If they were to buy french subs after U-boats they could have ordered 6 instead of 3. Seems like we are saying good bye to German subs and Merlin is coming on our way now :cry: along with chinese subs

Very glad to hear for 7 new Submarines :pakistan::pakistan::pakistan:

Well this is a good strategy looking at the U-214 issue having been dragged around.

Yes, PN may compromise on the quality, but it will compensate it with the numbers, as the Sub fleet will go to a good 10 figure, with the 2-3 older Agosta-70s working in the reserve formation.

And with more advanced Chinese designs becoming available in future, we can go for them also.

4 F22Ps
4-6 Oliver Hazard Class
4 Type-054As
3 Agosta 90Bs with MESMA AIP
4 Merlins with AIP
3 Yuan/Song with AIPs

and supplement it with either some other western frigate platform or 8-10 Stealth Type-022 FAC, equipped with 4 or 8 C-802s or 803s.

I hope i did not go over the board :)

Thanks perzada sahab.

Nops, we have 5 active submarines, Agosta 90Bs, 70s and the old 3 Daphne class as reserve.

Merlins and Yuans means, no U-214.

Nops, we have 5 active submarines, Agosta 90Bs, 70s and the old 3 Daphne class as reserve.

Merlins and Yuans means, no U-214.

Any of those are going to be retired anytime soon?

Sir i think Germans will rethink about uboats after this news of order going to other suppliers.

BTW in your list Milgem is missing :)

Well this is a good strategy looking at the U-214 issue having been dragged around.

Yes, PN may compromise on the quality, but it will compensate it with the numbers, as the Sub fleet will go to a good 10 figure, with the 2-3 older Agosta-70s working in the reserve formation.

And with more advanced Chinese designs becoming available in future, we can go for them also.

4 F22Ps
4-6 Oliver Hazard Class
4 Type-054As
3 Agosta 90Bs with MESMA AIP
4 Merlins with AIP
3 Yuan/Song with AIPs

and supplement it with either some other western frigate platform or 8-10 Stealth Type-022 FAC, equipped with 4 or 8 C-802s or 803s.

I hope i did not go over the board :)

Taimi, dont forget to add the Turkisk Corvettes and Tf-2000 Frigates.
That program is back on, as of today our minister or some official have met Turkish counterparts, as Indicated by Cabatli_53.

Adios

wow, i am impressed. PN can take any Navy headon with these aquisitions....

I couldve never imagined this, but it seems as if Navy can eventually be a blue water Navy once economy gets on stronger footings...

this is Bull***! and a good news at the same time!

corrupt mafia government at work again!

good news that finally PN has shown interest in purchasing 8 submarines and bad news that 10% dream has come true. expect kick backs in high ranks and gov officials to get the inferior tech deal win over a high tech "Type-214". Its not the germans who are causing harm, they have agreed to 5-10 year lone but its the GOP that does not want it because they dont get profit for this.

Taimi, dont forget to add the Turkisk Corvettes and Tf-2000 Frigates.
That program is back on, as of today our minister or some official have met Turkish counterparts, as Indicated by Cabatli_53.

Adios

Yes that is true but look there is a problem which the program is facing talking about both Milgem corvetts anf TF 2000 Frigate.

The problem mentioned by the person was that all of the missiles were not either Pakistani or Turkish and it is a setback which hurts a lot.

Pakistani Naval version of Babur is not in sight for now and not to mention Pakistan or turkey both are behind in Naval missile technology.

This problem can be addressed through joint projects R&D.

Well good news we need watever we can get at this time .. be realistic here iam glad to hear this news as PN is total need of attention.

good news that finally PN has shown interest in purchasing 8 submarines and bad news that 10% dream has come true. expect kick backs in high ranks and gov officials to get the inferior tech deal win over a high tech "Type-214". Its not the germans who are causing harm, they have agreed to 5-10 year lone but its the GOP that does not want it because they dont get profit for this.

yes it is like buying MIG 29 when you can afford and get yourself an F35.

I hate this govt.:pakistan:

That is correct to some extent, But I believe Indian MMRCA and need for 6 subs is playing a major role. Eruofighter is in lead, rather I would a say a near winner only if the decision doesn't go political, to fall in for Super hornets.

The good point is Pak Navy should move and make a decision before the MMRCA finalization. In this way we can put some pressure on the Germans back, from a pure business perspective.

The day the U-boats deal was delayed, it was in for a rejection.

Lastly, some people believe U-boats were/are a must. To them I would say they were desired and preferable but not a must. We need to move and make the best out of the available options. Throughout the history the odds had never been on our side. And still we got the job done, so need to get disappointed.

Adios

Back
Top Bottom