What's new

Pakistan likely to buy S20 submarines from China

Gentlemen --- YOU WILL GET CHINESE SUB, NO DOUBT.

WHAT ABOUT SERVICEABILITY ? WHAT ABOUT SYSTEM EFFICIENCY ?

WHAT ABOUT SAFETY OF SYSTEM.........

ELSE NO NEED TO PUT YOUR CREW IN HARMS WAY.

What is evaluation team for.

S20 fitted with AIP is certainly on par with German U214. Looks like a winner for PN. 6 new subs are definitely needed, with 2 of these replacing Agosta 70. S20 is a pretty big sub. Beat 8 meters, compared to 6.2 meters for Scorpene and 6.3 meters for U214. Can't wait for the deal :bounce:

Last edited:
No hard cash and loan based deal is not offered...
German opposition don't want germany to sell those subs to Pakistan
Some other pressure from international players [US and maybe israel]
I completely disagree. Germany and Pakistan had the entire deal layed out, it was up to Pakistan to sign it, but lack of funds stopped the deal dead in it's tracks.

Israel and the US have no reason to block this deal, because it doesn't affect them in any way shape or form. We need to stop blaming everything on the US and Israel, sometimes it boils down to the fact that Pakistan just doesn't have the money.

What's up with Type 214? I heard the PN was likely to go with these.

German Subs are way too expensive for PN with no TOT incentive.

Chinese Subs may be more desirable as the Chinese are helpful in financing the deal and somewhat open to TOT which helps us to develop indigenous capabilities.

Besides, S20 is a fairly decent Submarine in terms of noise level as well as weapons capability. Having an AIP capability gives the Sub 60 days underwater at a stretch which I enough for our Green water Navy to protect our Coastline and our sea Lanes adequately.

All in all, it is a good deal for us and our budget.

Last edited:
S20[edit]
At IDEX-2013, China revealed a scaled-down version of Type 041 submarine designated as S20, specially intended for export. The main difference between S20 and Type 041 is that the AIP system on the original Type 041 is deleted, but can be available and easily integrated due to modular design of S20, if potential customers choose to purchase AIP systems separately. Due to its modular design, a variety of sensors and weapons can also be easily adopted up on customers' requests.[2] Specifications of S20:[3]

• Structure: double hulled
  • Length: 66 meter
  • Beam: 8 meter
  • Draft: 8.2 meter
  • Surface displacement: 1850 tons
  • Submerged displacement: 2300 tons
  • Maximum speed: 18 knots
  • Cruise speed: 16 knots
  • Range: 8000 nm @ 16 kts
  • Endurance: 60 days
  • Crew: 38 total
  • Maximum depth: 300 meters
Potential exports of the S20[edit]
  • The Bangladesh navy is negotiating for a order of 2 yaun class submarines.
  • Pakistan is said to be in talks for six submarines rumored to be Yuan class. The deal is said to be signed by the end of 2014

PN should acquire about 8-10 of S-20 and they must try to talk to BD now for selling 3 Agosta-90Bs to them in coming 3 years time. I am sure China will be able to deliver 5-6 Submarines in 3 years time and rest in shorter time.

A-90B can go faster and deeper ~350 m and ~20 knots, S20 is bigger and fatter and may carry more punch

I completely disagree. Germany and Pakistan had the entire deal layed out, it was up to Pakistan to sign it, but lack of funds stopped the deal dead in it's tracks.

Israel and the US have no reason to block this deal, because it doesn't affect them in any way shape or form. We need to stop blaming everything on the US and Israel, sometimes it boils down to the fact that Pakistan just doesn't have the money.

My friend maybe I am wrong but why did Pakistan approach Germany when it did not have cash? were we playing again like Mirage 2000 saga. Does it mean we did not tell them we had cash we went made them fools check the subs and told them please sir give us discount we can pay in 2 decades that would be sweeter.

It is matter of concern to both US/israel and hindustanis if Pak gets the best german subs that have the capabilities to fire SLCM.

My friend maybe I am wrong but why did Pakistan approach Germany when it did not have cash? were we playing again like Mirage 2000 saga. Does it mean we did not tell them we had cash we went made them fools check the subs and told them please sir give us discount we can pay in 2 decades that would be sweeter.

It is matter of concern to both US/israel and hindustanis if Pak gets the best german subs that have the capabilities to fire SLCM.
At the time of the contract drafting, the Pakistani side did indeed have the budget needed, but from what I've read, certain unknown incidents occurred and the deal was "put on hold" by the Pakistani side. A month later, it was declared that Pakistan would be negotiating with China instead, and for a much cheaper price, making the deal go from two subs to six.

To me, this deal isn't really surprising, because it's been known for years that this was going to be the plan.

As for US and Israel, I don't think either cares about the subs, as much as they do the nuclear capability that it may have.

Gentlemen --- YOU WILL GET CHINESE SUB, NO DOUBT.

WHAT ABOUT SERVICEABILITY ? WHAT ABOUT SYSTEM EFFICIENCY ?

WHAT ABOUT SAFETY OF SYSTEM.........

ELSE NO NEED TO PUT YOUR CREW IN HARMS WAY.
damn .. you use russian subs . . my friend .. ..

WTF ? what happen to Qing ?
Our ministry of defence "Experts" have developed a habit of hiding everything from the people of their own country,whats is already known to the enemies.....afsos,afsos.

Back
Top Bottom