What's new

Pakistan likely to buy S20 submarines from China

Pakistan will import the subs from any nation if they provide us these 2 capabilities

*AIP
*Capability to fire SLCM's

AIP is becoming standard...the second part is No and even if they offer Pak can't afford.

This is 'disinformation'. No one knows the exact make of the sub. Its still under development.

AIP is becoming standard...the second part is No and even if they offer Pak can't afford.
Aren't PN's subs (Agosta class) capable of firing Exocet and Harpoon? Both are classified as anti-ship cruise missiles.

I believe the 2nd part is even more important than First.

We can't afford a Nuclear submarine right now.And the only realistic Move toward triad is to go for a Submarine with SLCM's launch capability.

If the older Yuan class can launch Cruise missiles like DH-10 than S-20 should also be capable of doing it

S20[edit]
At IDEX-2013, China revealed a scaled-down version of Type 041 submarine designated as S20, specially intended for export. The main difference between S20 and Type 041 is that the AIP system on the original Type 041 is deleted, but can be available and easily integrated due to modular design of S20, if potential customers choose to purchase AIP systems separately. Due to its modular design, a variety of sensors and weapons can also be easily adopted up on customers' requests.[2] Specifications of S20:[3]

• Structure: double hulled
  • Length: 66 meter
  • Beam: 8 meter
  • Draft: 8.2 meter
  • Surface displacement: 1850 tons
  • Submerged displacement: 2300 tons
  • Maximum speed: 18 knots
  • Cruise speed: 16 knots
  • Range: 8000 nm @ 16 kts
  • Endurance: 60 days
  • Crew: 38 total
  • Maximum depth: 300 meters
Potential exports of the S20[edit]
  • The Bangladesh navy is negotiating for a order of 2 yaun class submarines.
  • Pakistan is said to be in talks for six submarines rumored to be Yuan class. The deal is said to be signed by the end of 2014

Pakistan will import the subs from any nation if they provide us these 2 capabilities

*AIP
*Capability to fire SLCM's

AIP is okay. But I think PN should go for sub launchable cruise missiles ONLY IF the plan is to aquire nuclear powered submarines otherwise I believe it will spend a lot of money during active service. Not to mention pre-production costs.

EDIT: Missiles like Brahmos and Tomahawk are classified as SLCMs. submarine launchable missiles such as Harpoon's variant are classified as UGM.

Last edited:
I believe the 2nd part is even more important than First.

We can't afford a Nuclear submarine right now.And the only realistic Move toward triad is to go for a Submarine with SLCM's launch capability.

That is the only option for Pakistan to have such capabilities for its future submarines atleast for a next decade. Nuclear subs is something PN can't afford.

AIP is okay. But I think PN should go for sub launchable cruise missiles ONLY IF the plan is to aquire nuclear powered submarines otherwise I believe it will spend a lot of money during active service.

We are planning something like the Dolphin class submarine of Israel navy.

Dolphin-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't cost as much as SSBN.neither do the operational cost is similar to Nuclear powered submarine.

Beside this we are also developing the SLCM variant of Babur.as per some insider on Pakdef(not defence.pk).It was tested twice in 2010 but failed.

Canistered launch tests of babur were done in public in 2011.

Pakistan+Successfully+Tests+Hatf-VII+Babar+Cruise+Missile+from+a+new+caniste+submarine+launched+version.jpg

That is the only option for Pakistan to have such capabilities for its future submarines atleast for a next decade. Nuclear subs is something PN can't afford.

Submarine launched cruise missile variant of Babur is already under development.And No we don't need a nuclaer submarine for the launch of Babur SLCM.

Dolphin class is atleast $700m each...

Well they indeed are expensive because they are U boats and of german origin.

Meanwhile the S-20 won't be more than 300million dollars each with SLCM's launch capability aswell.

Infact even the Present Agosta90B can be modified to launch SLCM's.

Well they indeed are expensive because they are U boats and of german origin. Meanwhile the S-20 won't be more than 300million dollars each with SLCM's launch capability aswell.

Infact even the Present Agosta90B can be modified to launch SLCM's.

Around 350ish at he most. We should have worked out with french to add couple of advanced A-90 variants our dealing is poor for various reasons.

We are planning something like the Dolphin class submarine of Israel navy.

Dolphin-class submarine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't cost as much as SSBN.neither do the operational cost is similar to Nuclear powered submarine.

Beside this we are also developing the SLCM variant of Babur.as per some insider on Pakdef(not defence.pk).It was tested twice in 2010 but failed.

Canistered launch tests of babur were done in public in 2011.

Pakistan+Successfully+Tests+Hatf-VII+Babar+Cruise+Missile+from+a+new+caniste+submarine+launched+version.jpg

Submarine launched cruise missile variant of Babur is already under development.And No we don't need a nuclaer submarine for the launch of Babur SLCM.

but Dolphin is around 2000t submerged if I'm not wrong. And they use submarine variant Popeye Turbo standoff missile. It's slighty lighter than Babur and also shorter when considering the pic you've put as the conistered variant. You can put Popeye missiles in a Dolphin having a weight around 2000 tonnes. But it can't be for Babur. S-20 is 3,900t, that can suit with a "naval Babur". Not Dolphins nor Type 214 which I believe they're better than their Chinese equalents.

Gentlemen --- YOU WILL GET CHINESE SUB, NO DOUBT.

WHAT ABOUT SERVICEABILITY ? WHAT ABOUT SYSTEM EFFICIENCY ?

WHAT ABOUT SAFETY OF SYSTEM.........

ELSE NO NEED TO PUT YOUR CREW IN HARMS WAY.

Back
Top Bottom