What's new

Half a million illegal Indians staying and working in Bangladesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at the size of your country for godsake. Japan has a debt of 241% of GDP. That means Bangladesh is doing better than Japan? UK has a debt of 43% of GDP so you are doing better than UK that means? What BS!.

Indians are acting like chicken lost its neck, its so easy to cut through indian bs. Thats why I have written the following already:

Indian may jump on to say so what, other countries have even higher. But problem with that argument is India is no uncle sam who can print money without much consequence. And Indians does not have luxury like these other countries for better and able tax collection base.

And add to it, in this economy there will not be big FDI inflow to meet widening indian deficit. So there will be more indians joining 400 million indians who are already living under poverty line, less than $1 a day.

Last edited:
The sources of the stats are the CIA World Factbook and Directorate of Economics & Statistics of respective State Governments, and for All-India -- Central Statistical Organisation.

For some reason I just cannot find the GDP per capita (PPP) for the various Indian states for 2007 or 2008. Does the Indian Government keep this secret until 5 years later when they are no use? Maybe an Indian can get these stats for me unless they have something to hide? Like how pathetic their economy really is. Prove me wrong and get me these stats.

I have been reading this discussion for a long time now and see Banladeshis bragging a lot about their economy.

The fact is there are a millions of illegal bangaladeshi workers and immegrants spread throughout the world. I am in Malaysia and see thousands of Bangaldeshis doing all low jobs for as low as 500 RM a month. Now that shows how shining Bangaldesh is...

Anyway, as Bangladesh is the next big thing, I am desperately looking for a job in Dhaka...

The sources of the stats are the CIA World Factbook and Directorate of Economics & Statistics of respective State Governments, and for All-India -- Central Statistical Organisation.

For some reason I just cannot find the GDP per capita (PPP) for the various Indian states for 2007 or 2008. Does the Indian Government keep this secret until 5 years later when they are no use? Maybe an Indian can get these stats for me unless they have something to hide? Like how pathetic their economy really is. Prove me wrong and get me these stats.

you are really funny........always finding a controversy or conspiracy in everything.......keep it up, while 'pehchan kaun' is over,you are giving the daily laughter dose... ....geez how can i thank you!!! Btw its really bulls@&* to compare bd economy with indian economy,at the present moment......but future may have a few surprises.......lets see..

iajdani said:
Mr. MBI just put forward those state figures only to show that BD is not as poor as you guys think and very informative as we see the Indian economy in a surgical manner and eye opening.... I am convinced.
Of course you are convinced. You are seeing what you want to see. OTOH, we are not, because we are not seeing what we asked Mr Munshi to show us.

Actually I am with godsavetheworld. He has made some valid points. First off, Mr Munishi’s figure are most likely some bull’s excreta. There is nothing on the net that gives domestic product value of an Indian state in any format other than GSDP. So his state GDP figures are something that he pulled from thin air.

Second off, even a school kid who has dabbled with some economics will tell you, comparing a country’s economics to another country’s state economics, is not even wrong – it’s a blunder of gigantic proportions.

idune said:
India’s govt debt is at 60% of GDP
India’s current account deficit is about 6% of GDP or over $240 billion

Bangladesh govt debt is about 35% of GDP
Bangladesh enjoy a healthy current account surplus

That means because of debt financing Indian govt has less percentage of revenue for spending on 400 million plus people who live less than $1 dollar a day. By the way indian population in July, 2009 is est to be 1.17 billion.

Indian economy is suffering from as high as 6% of GDP as current account deficit. That is over $200 billion in current account deficit, is astronomical when 400 million Indians live under $1 a day and oil price is record low. Indian may jump on to say so what, other countries have even higher. But problem with that argument is India is no uncle sam who can print money without much consequence. And Indian does not have luxury like these other countries for better and able tax collection base.

On Contrary, Bangladesh enjoys healthy current account surplus. And we have less debt to GDP ratio therefore better percentage of revenue can be spend on economic improvement
A link would be appreciated. I just don’t understand why people don’t give links when they quote raw data.

Anyway, you may want to note this excerpt from the paper, Bangladesh in 21st Century, presented at Harvard.
“In 1993, Bangladesh's total public debt amounted to Tk.725 billion. Ten years later, in 2003, it had more than doubled to Tk.1.53 trillion, and another 3 years later, it reached nearly Tk.2 trillion. These trends seem to indicate that Bangladesh's debt is not sustainable. However, expressing Bangladesh's public debt as percent of GDP provides a different picture as this ratio has actually decreased from 58 percent in 1993 to less than 47 percent in 2006. The picture improves further by looking at the trend of the ratio of nominal public debt to government revenues, which has decreased from 638 percent in 1993 to 438 percent. The only worrisome part is that the share of the domestic public debt continues to increase, which is reflected even more in terms of interest payments as percent of government revenues,

However, comparing the results with other low-income countries, Bangladesh is actually one of the highest indebted countries in terms of both net present value (NPV), debt to government revenues, and public debt service to government revenues. The only reasons why Bangladesh did not qualify for recent debt relief initiatives are due to a) Bangladesh's substitution of external debt with domestic debt (which started in the early 1990s), and b) the framework of recent debt relief initiatives focus on external public debt sustainability.

An analysis of Bangladesh's future debt sustainability under alternative macroeconomic scenarios shows that relatively small deteriorations in the macroeconomic scenario can easily threaten Bangladesh's fiscal sustainability. Keeping in mind that Bangladesh is a highly disaster- prone country, and that disasters are likely to increase due to climate change, the cancellation of Bangladesh's external public debt would not only serve as a shock absorber but also allow Bangladesh to use its scarce resources to achieve the MDGs. While Bangladesh is unlikely to face an unsustainable debt in macroeconomic terms, if approaching debt sustainability from a human and social development perspective, Bangladesh's debt is not sustainable simply because Bangladesh has more urgent needs to reduce poverty [My note: About 84% of Bangladeshi, live below $2 threshold] than to make external debt service payments, amounting even in the optimistic scenario, to more than $1.5 billion every year over the next 12 years.

Indeed, given that total public debt service payments amount currently to about 100 percent of government revenues,[My note: Bangladesh is therefore spending almost all its earnings to service debt] it is clear that these debt service payments can only be made as old debt is replaced by new debt, i.e. principal as well as interest payments are mostly covered by new loans [My note: This is called “Debt trap”, when you take loan to meet a previous loan. India & Argentina were under similar, or worse, situation in 1991]. The cancellation of Bangladesh's external debt would also be justified based on equity issues as considerable amounts of debt have been canceled under recent debt relief initiatives to less poor and less indebted countries if poverty and indebtedness is defined more appropriately[My note: In other words, Bangladesh is now seeking to have its external debt cancelled].”​

The public debt in India is within a very manageable range, thank you very much. Public debt has two components, External, the most volatile component and the cause of much headache, and Internal. India’s external debt($ 155 bill, 2007) exceeds its foreign reserves($ 199 bill, 2007) and is around 16.4% of GDP – something, very few developing countries have achieved. India’s debt service ratio in 2007 was 4.8, only second to China. However, corresponding figures($ 231 bill external debt & $ 254 bill foreign reserve) for 07-08 are not that encouraging, primarily because of the recession, decrease in rupee value against dollar (about 57% of India’s external debt is denominated in USD) etc.

Your assertion that “because of debt financing Indian govt has less percentage of revenue for spending on 400 million plus people who live less than $1 dollar a day” is incorrect. India can cover its entire external debt at one go and still have some forex left to do some charity.

Compare this to Bangladesh’s external debt($ 19.3 bill, 2007), foreign reserves,( $ 6.1 bill, 2007), debt service ratio(?) and something, which is absent in case of India – aid ($ 45.990 bill since 1972 & $ 1.166 bill for 2007 alone).

So while, foreign reserves of India exceed the external debt by 128%, it is just the opposite in case of Bangladesh. The external debt exceed the reserves by a whopping 316%. A true David v/s Goliath but unlike mythology, Goliath is predictably much ahead.

Current account balance is indeed favourable for Bangladesh, but for India it is within limits. Nothing alarming about it. Once again your assertion that “current account deficit, is astronomical when 400 million Indians live under $1 a day” is misleading. Current account deficit means, in layman’s term, that a country is importing more than it is exporting. It has nothing to do, directly at least, with how many people are living below $ 1 or $ 2 threshold. The deficit can be balanced by increasing export or decreasing import or both (agreed that it is easier said than done). If you disagree, then please show us how import, export balance directly results in poverty eradication. If it had been the case, there wouldn’t have been 84% Bangladeshis living below $ 2 threshold. After all, Bangladesh has current account surplus.

Your idea of printing notes to meet debt, is school level mistake. No country does that, because inflation in such a case will go through the ceiling. US and every other country, even India, stay away from that mistake. So yes, the argument of other countries having even more public debt than India, is good enough argument. If you don’t accept that argument then its your responsibility to explain what would a developed country do different from India to bring down its debt (external + internal)

Last edited:
MBI Munshi said:

CIA World Factbook does not provide state wise GSDP figure. State directorate of statistics releases data in INR and in GSDP format. So please enlighten us about how you have arrived at those GDP(?) figures for individual states. And this time around, try to provide direct links.

As with your reverse psychology thingie, its your research, so its your dirty job to dig out those figs. Anyway, if you are willing to shell out some money, you can try this site.

Last edited:
Indians are acting like chicken lost its neck, its so easy to cut through indian bs. Thats why I have written the following already:

Indian may jump on to say so what, other countries have even higher. But problem with that argument is India is no uncle sam who can print money without much consequence. And Indians does not have luxury like these other countries for better and able tax collection base.

And add to it, in this economy there will not be big FDI inflow to meet widening indian deficit. So there will be more indians joining 400 million indians who are already living under poverty line, less than $1 a day.
Head less chicken ? You love to project, don't ya.

As with the last part of your comment - you will be doing a favour to your country if you divert this concern to your homeland. She needs it more. We will worry about ourselves. But thanks for the concern.

Please provide a link or some citation to back up your accusation that GDP growth rate “mostly comprise of FDI and Capital market enhancement”. Also, explain what do you mean by “mostly” in the context raw data that go into GDP calculation.

That is your twisted creation, no where in my post I have discussed "“mostly comprise of FDI and Capital market enhancement”

I have showed data of Indian debt to GDP ratio and current account deficit. Thats it; all hell broken loose on indian dream land. From rest of your post you don't have fre**** clue what these terms mean at macro level. But looking for link you just need to type these terms in google and follow the link. Info and stats are all in public domain. While you are at it check out what percentage of your banks are at risk of being insolvent.

You are acting like head less chicken now but it will fun to see indian fried chicken.

Last edited:

.but future may have a few surprises.......lets see..

We are sure massacre of Bangladesh army officers in Peelkhana was last subversive act from india. But thanks for confirming that more sabotage in Bangladesh had been planned by india.

We are sure massacre of Bangladesh army officers in Peelkhana was last subversive act from india. But thanks for confirming that more sabotage in Bangladesh had been planned by india.

you are a genious in misinterpreting mr idune,........actually i said that, keeping the growth of bd economy in mind,and in FAVOUR of bd..........and btw first dematerialise the bads of your country then talk of unproven indian involvement in the bdr mutiny........thnx

That is your twisted creation, no where in my post I have discussed "“mostly comprise of FDI and Capital market enhancement”
My apologies. I have corrected my post now.

I have showed data of Indian debt to GDP ratio and current account deficit. Thats it; all hell broken loose on indian dream land. From rest of your post you don't have fre**** clue what these terms mean at macro level. But looking for link you just need to type these terms in google and follow the link. Info and stats are all in public domain. While you are at it check out what percentage of your banks are at risk of being insolvent.

You are acting like head less chicken now but it will fun to see indian fried chicken.
Did I touch a raw nerve there ? Yes I did.
Finding it hard to rebut my post and hence resorting to argument from authority? Yes you are.

Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
iajdani said:
I again repeat, the GDP growth rate you try to show mostly comprise of FDI and Capital market enhancement, which made a 1 billion dollar company to a 50 billion dollar company and hence the higher GDP growth rate. This does not reflect the real economic change to the marginalized people of India.
Please provide a link or some citation to back up your accusation that GDP growth rate “mostly comprise of FDI and Capital market enhancement”. Also, explain what do you mean by “mostly” in the context raw data that go into GDP calculation.

I dont understand why you have to compare apples with oranges and then say that apples are the best in the world. You cant compare a small nation with a big nation.
Why doesnt WB rank countries based on their account deficits? Because its all relative. Again its all stupid point scoring you are indulging in.

While you are at it check out what percentage of your banks are at risk of being insolvent

Precisely, check what percentage of our banks are at risk of running out of cash. We are the only globalised economy in the world whose banks are lending like they were prior to the crisis. Indian banking fundamentals are the strongest in the world.

You are trying haphazardly to prove a case that doesnt not exist. First you began comparing GSDP with GDP, we proved you wrong, then you came about with reasoning that we are doing well because of our stock markets, and I again proved your theory that there is development possible without a high growth. Now you cite account deficits, bank debts, and I have again proved you wrong that bank debts, account deficits doesnt make a country superior to another since its relative to the needs of the country.

All in all you havent provided us with any substantial proof of your claims. And you still are comparing unlike things. And I am beginning to grow tired of this. So this will be the end of this dicussion from my side.

Maybe we should outsource the wall project alongside the bangle-desh border :victory:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom