What's new

Halcon, local company will supply Desert Sting precision weapons to UAEAF in US$1 billion deal

Philip the Arab

Reaction score
Country
Jordan
Dubai-UAE:– Halcon, a regional leader in the production and supply of precision-guided weapons, has signed a US$1 billion (AED3.6 billion) contract to deliver its Desert Sting-16 (DS-16) range of precision guided weapons to the UAE Armed Forces.

Saeed Al Mansoori, CEO of Halcon, announced the landmark deal at the ongoing Dubai Airshow 2019. Speaking on the sidelines of the event, Al Mansoori said: “We are honoured to provide the best-in-class precision-guided weapons to the UAE Armed Forces. With the support of our nation’s visionary leadership, and years of experience in advanced technology and the high-stakes guided weapons industry, this opportunity underlines our position as a regional industry leader.

“This will help strengthen capabilities, equipping them with enhanced efficiency, reliability, and assurance – and overall enabling a more secure future”, he added.

EJwKB8CW4AIg6i3.jpg:large

Halcon, a unit of the UAE's new defence giant EDGE, has signed a $1 billion contract to deliver its Desert Sting-16 range of precision guided weapons to the UAE Armed Forces.

Saeed Al Mansoori, CEO of Halcon, announced the landmark deal at the Dubai Airshow 2019, saying: “We are honoured to provide the best-in-class precision-guided weapons to the UAE Armed Forces.

“This will help strengthen capabilities, equipping them with enhanced efficiency, reliability, and assurance – and overall enabling a more secure future”, he added.

The Desert Sting is a family of light weight, precision-guided glide weapons. Its two variants – the DS-8 and DS-16 – weigh between 15 and 23 kilograms, and primarily utilise inertial guidance technology, which is further augmented by their global navigation satellite system.

Halcon runs three laboratories and eight production facilities, reinforced by cutting-edge R&D and state-of-the-art equipment.

Halcon is part of the Missiles & Weapons cluster within EDGE, an advanced technology group for defence and beyond that was inaugurated in November.

A total of eleven EDGE subsidiary companies are showcasing their capabilities at the show - ADASI, AMMROC, Al Tariq, Beacon Red, EARTH, EPI, ETS, GAL, Halcon, Horizon and Jaheziya.

@Khafee
Congrats to UAEAF

This is a free fall bomb with guidance system similar like JDAM, I previously though UAE make something similar like Hellfire missile. I hope they provide some test video later.

This is a free fall bomb with guidance system similar like JDAM, I previously though UAE make something similar like Hellfire missile. I hope they provide some test video later.
Turkey uses free fall on drone with MAM-L, and MAM-C.

Why they paint it blue
They didn't its grey.
EJy9Pz8XsAEzwnE.jpg:large

so what kind of agreement we are talking about? some missiles for infinite time?
I think those details are kept in secret and not released. There needs to be work on integration, production, etc and it may take a couple of years at the minimum to complete. 1 billion is a huge deal, and we don't know the exact number ordered.

Last edited:
Chances of Pakistan ever getting these weapons from UAE is as much as from IAI.

Yes, and I am impressed with how far a small country like UAE (although wealthy and with an educated local population) have come. With the creation of EDGE, I expect much more progress in the near future which is good not only for UAE but the Arab world if you ask me. We should be competing against (healthy competition) each other while working together like the Europeans did/do or US firms are doing. Only way to progress.

Chances of Pakistan ever getting these weapons from UAE is as much as from IAI.
Why is that? Pakistan already have Precision strike munition for years. Only problem I could see can be the cost. Considering procurement of foreign part and technology in make of this product, It might be cheaper for Pakistan to directly buy similar product from China or US.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom