What's new

Saudi Arabia, UAE seek $10.8 billion in U.S. weapons

Dubai Air Show 2013: UAE yet to commit to additional F-16s
Gareth Jennings, Dubai
- IHS Jane's Defence Weekly-17 November 2013

Fighter_aircraft_-_main.jpg

Lockheed Martin has yet to receive any official word from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) with regard to the proposed sale of an additional 25 F-16E/F Block 60 Desert Falcon combat aircraft announced earlier in the year, a company official told IHS Jane's on 18 November.

Speaking at the Dubai Air Show, Bill McHenry, F-16 Business Development, said that Lockheed Martin is awaiting acknowledgment from the UAE following the announcement by US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel that the additional F-16 Block 60 aircraft would be provided as part of an arms package valued at approximately USD5 billion.

"Hagel announced the [additional] F-16s in April, but we're still waiting for confirmation from the customer," McHenry said.

The United Arab Emirates Air Force & Air Defence (UAE AF & AD) currently operates 55 single-seat F-16E and 24 twin-seat F-16F platforms, which it began receiving in 2004.

These Block 60 aircraft are the most advanced variant of the F-16, fitted with the Northrop Grumman AN/APG-80 active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar. Although it is no longer built, McHenry said a ready supply base to manufacture this radar still exists as it hasn't long been out of production, meaning the F-16 could still be built to Block 60 specifications if required. However, he noted: "[Lockheed Martin] doesn't comment on customer specifications or requirements."

The UAE is currently engaged in a fighter procurement competition to replace its 43 ageing Dassault Mirage 2000s, and the announcement that it was to receive the additional F-16s raised questions about the UAE's immediate requirement for an alternative fighter.

However, with no official contract to back-up Hagel's announcement, it would appear that the fighter replacement programme remains on track, with the UAE looking to field a new type in the 2017 time frame.

What had appeared to be a done deal for the Dassault Rafale was thrown open in late 2011 when a new request for proposals (RfP) was issued to Eurofighter for its Typhoon and to Boeing for its F-15 Eagle and F/A-18E/F Super Hornet.

An anticipated announcement pertaining to this competition, due to have coincided with the arrival at the show of UK Prime Minister David Cameron, had not materialised by the time of his departure on 16 November, and it does not appear likely that any such announcement will be made at this year's event.

Dubai Air Show 2013: UAE yet to commit to additional F-16s - IHS Jane's 360
I can't understand one thing and that is why on earth all fighter jets are placed in one Air Base in UAE @Aeronaut @Oscar @jaibi @WebMaster @Yzd Khalifa @Arabian Legend @al-Hasani and others

Too many good secrets in them to share.

Nah. The US Navy hasn't procure a diesel submarine for the last 30ish year.

American companies could have easily developed some wicked subs that can easily outclass the German's and France.

I thought we were talking nuke. Yeah, I guess we could whip up something nice in a diesel without sharing too much.

I thought we were talking nuke. Yeah, I guess we could whip up something nice in a diesel without sharing too much.

Actually, no country has ever sold nuclear submarines to another country.

And yes, if the F-16s won 20 something of hearts and minds of nations, why can't Lockheed Martin make an F-16 sub? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom