What's new

US becomes India's biggest arms supplier

vK_man

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
US becomes India's biggest arms supplier | Business Standard

or over four decades, Russia has been India's largest arms supplier by a comfortable margin. Last year, the US overtook Russia to grab that spot.

According to the defence and security analysis group, IHS Jane's, India has also supplanted Saudi Arabia as the world's biggest buyer of American weaponry. In 2013, India imported $1.9 billion worth of US equipment, including theC-17 Globemaster III and the P-8I multi-mission aircraft.

Defence equipment imports from the US have shot up from just $237 million in 2009, to eight times that figure last year. And, with several high-value US contracts in the procurement pipeline - including a $600-700 million purchase of 145 M777 guns; additional C-130J Super Hercules and C-17 Globemaster III aircraft; and a possible billion-dollar buy of 8,400 Javelin anti-tank missiles - this is poised to rise even higher.

According to Indian analysts, the defence ministry in New Delhi is increasingly comfortable buying weaponry directly from the US department of defence (the Pentagon), partly because of the perception that this provides no space for corruption and arms agents. An increasing number of US contracts, such as those for C-17 aircraft and the M777 gun, are being routed through America's foreign military sales programme, in which the Pentagon negotiates the rates and supply schedule with the vendor, on behalf of the buyer.

In 2010, India had overtaken China as the world's biggest importer of defence equipment, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). Last year, total arms deliveries to India (as opposed to the value of contracts signed) touched $5.9 billion. Almost half of India's $13.4 billion budget for equipment modernisation was spent on foreign weaponry.

-----------------

What do people have to say?

Good trend or Bad trend?

@Parul @Star Wars

@GURU DUTT
@vostok

BS article. Russia supplied weapons in 2013 worth almost $5 Dollar. I don't see US comes any close to that.

well thats understandable but i dont think much will come of it anyway we should wait at least 5 more months to see the real picture ... cheers mate

BS article. Russia supplied weapons in 2013 worth almost $5 Dollar. I don't see US comes any close to that.

The article is from Business Standard.Pretty good newspaper. Are there stats to contradict it?

As far as I know, India has always bought weapons from different countries, not only from Russia / USSR. I do not see anything dangerous.

No No somebody dont get it.Only 3 aircrafts makes these imports.When the delivery of that aircrafts finished it will be over.
M777 dont going to happen.

Back
Top Bottom