What's new

India closely watching Russian move to sell attack helicopters to Pakistan

Well...
The version we use is Mi-35M4: Updated version of the Mi-35M with Israeli avionics for the Brazilian Air Force.
Compare with Mi-24 old models, Mi-35M has a reduced empty weight resulting from new titanium main rotor head, composites rotor blades, shortened stub-wings and non-retractable landing gear. Also in case of the crash the landing gear absorbs some of the energy.
Lets see few more differences between Mi-24 and Mi-35:

Mil Mi-24 HIND
Five-blade fully articulated main rotor, forged and machined steel hub. Hydraulic lead-lag dampers (same as Mi-8).
Three-blade tail rotor (same as Mi-17)
2167.jpg

2855.jpg

3309.jpg

Mil Mi-35M HIND
Five-blade fully articulated main rotor (same as Mi-28).
Twin two-blade scissored tail rotor (same as Mi-28).
4168.jpg

Mi-35M_77_5482.jpg

4173.jpg

4303.jpg

4171.jpg
I know that this version is updated from the original mi-24 but what im asking is how different is this model from the one posted in @khanboy007 's post which is a South African upgraded mi-35??

The pictures from his post:

shind-2.jpg

Mi-24_Super_Agile_Hind_on_ground_2006.jpg

I know that this version is updated from the original mi-24 but what im asking is how different is this model from the one posted in @khanboy007 's post which is a South African upgraded mi-35??

shind-2.jpg

This is not a South African Air Force helicopter.
This is a Mi-24G Super Hind, modernized by South African "ATE Group" and Azerbaijani "Azairtechservice". The helicopter is equipped with Denel 20mm gun, Mokopa, Ataka-V and Baryer-V ATGMs. Modernize programme comprised modern fire-control systems, US made FLIR termal search system, Helmet Mounted Display, GPS/INS navigation, laser search system and e.t.c.

The Azerbaijani Air Force has 15 of these Mi-24G Super Hind in its fleet.

In September–October 2010, Azerbaijan purchased 24 Mi-35M from Russia. I know that by 2012 at least half have been delivered. The remaining, I have no idea.

@Hassan_Ishtiaq

A brand new Mi-35 costs around US$ 35 million.
I really think it would be a good deal to buy used Mi-24 and modernize it. Of course it depends on finding a used Mi-24 in good shape.

Last edited:
The noticeable point is Indians haven't even raised an objection.

Or maybe Indians have finally realized that the world in principle doesn't revolve around Indian whims and wishes. Maybe they are trying to save face since the deal is going to happen any way.

Or maybe Indians have finally realized that the world in principle doesn't revolve around Indian whims and wishes. Maybe they are trying to save face since the deal is going to happen any way.

Or maybe the Indians are waiting to see how far the Russians can go with this...
India is the world's leading importer of weapons, while the United States and Russia are responsible for about half of the globe's arms exports. I’m sure India will have the final call in this matter.

In 2009 India imported $237 million in military equipment from the U.S. but this jumped to $1.9 billion last year, as almost half of its $13.4 billion defense procurement budget went overseas. India accounted for nearly 10 percent of the $63 billion international defense market, outstripping much of the Middle East and China.
India is outpacing everyone!

The U.S., which remained the largest exporter of military equipment, displaced Russia as India's biggest arms supplier. In total, the U.S. exported $25.2 billion of military equipment in 2013, compared with $24.9 billion the previous year.

India, with total defense imports of $5.9 billion, became the most enthusiastic buyer from the U.S., knocking Saudi Arabia out of the top spot with purchases that included Boeing's C-17A strategic transport aircraft and P-8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft.

India overtook China to become the biggest arms importer in 2010, according to the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute, which monitors the global arms trade.

Until now, however, most of India's contracted arms purchases have been from Russia, partly because it has needed to replace or upgrade equipment bought from its former ally the Soviet Union.

In the case India says no and the Russians still want to go ahead with this and do business with Pakistan, they could be in serious trouble. Russia has nearly $39 billion worth of military equipment on order by India, representing nearly a third of Russia’s total arms exports.

All the US wants is to hurt Russian economy and undermine its power. A helicopter deal between Russia and Pakistan against the Indian will may give the Narendra Modi government a clear precedent to go ahead and become new US closest friend.

There is nothing that the Russians are providing to India that the Americans cannot offer an equivalent or even better solution.
Let’s wait and see what happens!

Last edited:
This is not a South African Air Force helicopter.
This is a Mi-24G Super Hind, modernized by South African "ATE Group" and Azerbaijani "Azairtechservice". The helicopter is equipped with Denel 20mm gun, Mokopa, Ataka-V and Baryer-V ATGMs. Modernize programme comprised modern fire-control systems, US made FLIR termal search system, Helmet Mounted Display, GPS/INS navigation, laser search system and e.t.c.

The Azerbaijani Air Force has 15 of these Mi-24G Super Hind in its fleet.

In September–October 2010, Azerbaijan purchased 24 Mi-35M from Russia. I know that by 2012 at least half have been delivered. The remaining, I have no idea.

@Hassan_Ishtiaq

A brand new Mi-35 costs around US$ 35 million.
I really think it would be a good deal to buy used Mi-24 and modernize it. Of course it depends on finding a used Mi-24 in good shape.

Azerbaijan received all 24 MI-35M for border guards and ordered additional 12
and nope Azerbaijan bought Mi-35M for 20mil per unit

Azerbaijan received all 24 MI-35M for border guards and ordered additional 12
and nope Azerbaijan bought Mi-35M for 20mil per unit

Thank you for the additional info. In our case, we paid a bit less than US$ 35 mil, each. But these are almost the only Russian equipment we operate. We have few others, but not substantially. Recently we bought few batteries of Igla-S shoulder-held missiles and we are interested in acquiring three batteries of Pantsir-S1.
Lets see what happens.

:rolleyes:

The problem is, due to Chinese reverse engineering and stealing of tech and copying it, the Russian defence industry has suffered a lot. If they don't sell it to Pakistan, Pakistanis will buy it from China so Russians thought of earning some profit from there. But in the end , long term policy will stop Russia selling the helis to Pakistan and earning some millions by putting billions on stake.

Last edited:
The problem is, due to Chinese reverse engineering and stealing of tech and copying it, the Russian defence industry has suffered a lot. If they don't sell it to Pakistan, Pakistanis will buy it from China so Russians thought of earning some profit from there. But in the end , long term policy will stop Russia selling the helis to Pakistan and earning some millions buy putting billions on stake.

Exactly... The stake is very high for Russia since it is hard to believe Pakistan will ever outpace India regarding military acquisitions.

What I do believe is that depending on the kind of acquisitions Pakistan is willing to make, in an act of goodwill the Indian Government may not oppose the deal.

Either way, India will have a final call in this matter. It is very simple!

India can never dictate its terms to Russia ...The weapons market is becoming more free...India needs Russia more for it's diplomatic support in Security Council than to buy weapons. India surely has it's own priorities, as proved in the case of Rafale ...Rafale was selected on the basis of merit ....IAF thought it better than other options, so they dumped Russia...and after all Russia is selling us choppers not SU-34 or MIG-42 ....so calm down everyone ....and let Hind come to Pakistan ...TTP wants it badly !

Exactly... The stake is very high for Russia since it is hard to believe Pakistan will ever outpace India regarding military acquisitions.

What I do believe is that depending on the kind of acquisitions Pakistan is willing to make, in an act of goodwill the Indian Government may not oppose the deal.

Either way, India will have a final call in this matter. It is very simple!

India is also buying huge amount of weapons from US, will they stop US from selling anything to Pakistan?
Russian in the past cared for Indian concerns when India's sole supplier of defense equipment was Russia, not anymore.
India is also one of the biggest trading partner with China, can they ask China not to sell Pakistan anything, i would like to see the face of Indian politician who would dare to try that.

You let us down Russia. Shame on you to treat a nation that has backed you from day 1. Thanks for showing your true colors......

India is also buying huge amount of weapons from US, will they stop US from selling anything to Pakistan?
Russian in the past cared for Indian concerns when India's sole supplier of defense equipment was Russia, not anymore.
India is also one of the biggest trading partner with China, can they ask China not to sell Pakistan anything, i would like to see the face of Indian politician who would dare to try that.

India buys from US is non -strategic weapons. Transport plane and anti sub plane till now., No strategic weapon India buyer from US and nor will.

India rejected both US planes which US tried every trick in book to make India buy those plane. including F-16 IN which is far more advance F-16 and F-18.

Yep , thats why, other then JF-17 nothing happened from china and despite from fantasy dreams of buying copy of Su-27 and F-16 and subs from china and 1000 pages in PDF nothing happened in last 6 years..... see when PAK posters started dreaming of buying Chinese Subs ? and when you started dreaming of buying J-10 and J-11? from last 6 years nothing happen in that front and after 6 years PAF told not getting J-10 .

So selling weapon involve lot of things. economy , buying etc. china right now not in a position to annoy india.

shind-2.jpg

Indian M-35Hind aka " Akbar " is far superior then those in pic.

Mil_Mi-24

India buys from US is non -strategic weapons. Transport plane and anti sub plane till now., No strategic weapon India buyer from US and nor will.
India rejected both US planes which US tried every trick in book to make India buy those plane. including F-16 IN which is far more advance F-16 and F-18.
Yep , thats why, other then JF-17 nothing happened from china and despite from fantasy dreams of buying copy of Su-27 and F-16 and subs from china and 1000 pages in PDF nothing happened in last 6 years..... see when PAK posters started dreaming of buying Chinese Subs ? and when you started dreaming of buying J-10 and J-11? from last 6 years nothing happen in that front and after 6 years PAF told not getting J-10 .
So selling weapon involve lot of things. economy , buying etc. china right now not in a position to annoy india.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom