What's new

India becomes biggest foreign buyer of US weapons

I never said that, buy all you want, just be careful what you wish for. You may think the US can do little damage to India, but trust me when I say that they have more tricks up their sleeves.

No one can question the ability, they have close to zero reason to do any damage for now.

That is what @Abingdonboy is hinting at.

I'm far from worried about India.

Again, you may think you have the upper hand, but trust me when I say that you don't go into an economic war against someone who's nearly perfected capitalism.

"I'm far from worried about India".Sorry that is not a reply for you.
We also anticipate US action ,that is what I am talking about

"I'm far from worried about India".Sorry that is not a reply for you.
We also anticipate US action ,that is what I am talking about
Okay, it's not like anything we say on this forum will have any political impact. Let's move on.

Considering current relations, maybe, but the future is not so clear.

You are right .Constant friend relation will not happen in geopolitics.But again it is not 1990's India and in future I think our GoI will not turn back only concentrating in increasing the power of India.

Importing arms from whether US, Russia , Israel . France, Germany and so on can only be a short term - stop gap measure ..

Unfortunately we are still dependent on foreign firms after 6 decades of independence .

We need to have long term vision.

I understand need to purchase weapon system now ...but are we happy with current state of affairs ?

Can we say for sure that by 2050 India will become arms supplier nation instead of arms importing nation ?

No self respecting nation should depend on some other external agent or country for its defense .

American military hardware are very very good. They are the premiere choice if funds suffice. :yes4:
Yes! But can anyone trust the Americans? With these weapon sales they've got us by the scruff of our necks. They can stop supply of spares etc to blackmail us especially where trade is concerned. They've already started tightening the screws.

In addition, the US Government has a policy of negotiating and exerting pressure on governments to give foreign investors the right to sue governments—known as Investor-State Dispute Settlement—for high amounts of damages if a law or policy harms their investment. India will face the same pressure to include such provisions as it pushes to negotiate trade deals with the U.S.

A glimpse of things to come. And we have failed to learn any lessons from the past - nuclear weapon tests, 1965, 1971, etc when sanctions were applied on India. And the reason why the Tejas took so long!

Yes! But can anyone trust the Americans? With these weapon sales they've got us by the scruff of our necks. They can stop supply of spares etc to blackmail us especially where trade is concerned. They've already started tightening the screws.

In addition, the US Government has a policy of negotiating and exerting pressure on governments to give foreign investors the right to sue governments—known as Investor-State Dispute Settlement—for high amounts of damages if a law or policy harms their investment. India will face the same pressure to include such provisions as it pushes to negotiate trade deals with the U.S.

A glimpse of things to come. And we have failed to learn any lessons from the past - nuclear weapon tests, 1965, 1971, etc when sanctions were applied on India. And the reason why the Tejas took so long!

If you ask me to name one country that is the most unreliable one ...then my answer undoubtedly will be US .
I am not saying that because I am biased against US ....but the history as you said is quite evident .

This country will take no time to turn around and stab you in the back ...after having just greeted you friendly welcome ...

The policies of this country towards India or any other country for that matter in last two hundred years is testimonial to this fact .

So far India has been very careful in buying major weapon systems from US .

But irrespective of whether US or any other country ....dependence on external forces is always wrong .

Our primary endeavor should be to become self reliant in every aspect ....sooner the better !

Huh...I wonder how Russia feels about this development. Also, with India becoming more and more reliant on US military equipment, it needs to be careful not become too dependent on US hardware.
why will Russians feel anything? We bought around $5 Billion worth weapons from Russia last year. Much more than what we bought from USA.

why will Russians feel anything? We bought around $5 Billion worth weapons from Russia last year. Much more than what we bought from USA.
Considering that India is moving towards the US is what the Russians may worry about, not the money itself.

Please don't say that Russia supports India and they don't need to worry, because you and I both know that geopolitics matter a lot in the international arena, especially between the US Russia and China.

are you trying to say Russian won't feel anything ?

The resentment in Russians has become quite evident recently ...

and we should not sweep same under the carpet.

we need to ' manage ' them skillfully ...which we have done well so far .

But does not mean that Russians don't feel anything....they do feel betrayed and sorry . something which they have expressed openly and have been vocal about .( But then we also have expressed our resentment to Russian regarding its flourishing arms supply with china ) .

Considering that India is moving towards the US is what the Russians may worry about, not the money itself.

Please don't say that Russia supports India and they don't need to worry, because you and I both know that geopolitics matter a lot in the international arena, especially between the US Russia and China.
Moving towards US? You see how we moved during Devyani's case. Believe me Our govt don't rely US. We just do usual business just like any country and nothing else.

It is better you need to increase your rational thinking.China develop a aerospace industry by violation of IP and stealing of tech.We can also do that and if we use that way we can also develop a mature aerospace industry like .But our culture is dont based on steal..DRDO alone cant develop an aerospace industry..So we now apply joint ventures.and we also have now private players.Just wait for next 20 years you can see that how a developing country mature its aerospace industry decently.

You call it a virtue, I call it lack of opportunity/skills. may be our DRDO guys are good enough for copying the product brochures only.

Moving towards US? You see how we moved during Devyani's case. Believe me Our govt don't rely US. We just do usual business just like any country and nothing else.
9 Billion USD worth of weapons import sounds like unusual business to me.

You call it a virtue, I call it lack of opportunity/skills. may be our DRDO guys are good enough for copying the product brochures only.

Give them money. They can deliver you products. Govt thinks that with a budget less than a gun company, they can make from pin to plane.

I never said that, buy all you want, just be careful what you wish for. You may think the US can do little damage to India, but trust me when I say that they have more tricks up their sleeves.

LOL, buddy you seem to portray as if you know the US inside out - wonder why all this US knowledge goes for a toss when it comes to US Pakistan issues when most in Pakistan come out on the losin side (other than perfecting the art of getting US aid).

Back
Top Bottom