What's new

India becomes biggest foreign buyer of US weapons

If you ask me to name one country that is the most unreliable one ...then my answer undoubtedly will be US .
I am not saying that because I am biased against US ....but the history as you said is quite evident .

This country will take no time to turn around and stab you in the back ...after having just greeted you friendly welcome ...

The policies of this country towards India or any other country for that matter in last two hundred years is testimonial to this fact .

So far India has been very careful in buying major weapon systems from US .

But irrespective of whether US or any other country ....dependence on external forces is always wrong .

Our primary endeavor should be to become self reliant in every aspect ....sooner the better !

And that is the right thing. We must not be dependent on US too much.

GOI has already taken steps to ensure this. Have you ever wondered when engines for P-17s are american why the engines for P-15A are Russian?

If you ask me to name one country that is the most unreliable one ...then my answer undoubtedly will be US .
I am not saying that because I am biased against US ....but the history as you said is quite evident .

This country will take no time to turn around and stab you in the back ...after having just greeted you friendly welcome ...

The policies of this country towards India or any other country for that matter in last two hundred years is testimonial to this fact .

So far India has been very careful in buying major weapon systems from US .

But irrespective of whether US or any other country ....dependence on external forces is always wrong .

Our primary endeavor should be to become self reliant in every aspect ....sooner the better !

Tell me which country have not ever turn around and stab other in the back?

Ask the French, they got turn around and stab by the Russian Empire during Napoleon era

Ask the Pole, they got turn around and stab by USSR during WW2

Ask the Vietnamese, they got turn around and stab by the Chinese

If you are a big country, chances are you would have stab someone in the back before, only country that not all that important had not, reason simply is, they can't stab anyone...

So by the same logic, the world should stop buying weapon from US, Russia and China

I'm far from worried about India.

Again, you may think you have the upper hand, but trust me when I say that you don't go into an economic war against someone who's nearly perfected capitalism.

I totally agree with you on sanctions. US arogance is because today world treading carancy is US roller. Many wants to change that.
But till US roller remains the main world treading carancy. US arrogance will remain.

Tell me which country have not ever turn around and stab other in the back?

Ask the French, they got turn around and stab by the Russian Empire during Napoleon era

Ask the Pole, they got turn around and stab by USSR during WW2

Ask the Vietnamese, they got turn around and stab by the Chinese

If you are a big country, chances are you would have stab someone in the back before, only country that not all that important had not, reason simply is, they can't stab anyone...

So by the same logic, the world should stop buying weapon from US, Russia and China

I did not mean to target US alone ...
and I agree many a countries have stabbed in back to each other ...
that's why I have maintained that India or any other country for that matter should not depend on outsider forces for its defense .

Just to elaborate if Philippines had not trusted US blindly and had not depended on it for its defense it would not have had lost control of Spratley islands and Scarborough Shoal to China so easily ...

History of world is filled with examples of betrayal by nations ...but none of them actually match record of US .

And Yes I do feel world should stop buying arms from US, Russia and China ....

If country like China can become ' largely' self sufficient with regards to arms in span if few decades ...why not India .

My emphasis is more on self sufficiency with regards to major weapon systems ...than dependency on any other country( but particularly US) !

I did not mean to target US alone ...
and I agree many a countries have stabbed in back to each other ...
that's why I have maintained that India or any other country for that matter should not depend on outsider forces in its defense .

Just to elaborate if Philippines had not trusted US blindly and had not depended on it for its defense it would not have had lost control of Spratley islands and Scarborough Shoal to China so easily ...

History of world is filled with examples of betrayal by nations ...but none of them actually match record of US .

And Yes I do feel world should stop buying arms from US, Russia and China ....

If country like China can become ' largely' self sufficient with regards to arms in span if few decades ...why not India .

My emphasis is more on self sufficiency with regards to major weapon systems ...than dependency on any other country but particularly US !

Well, if you had studied European History extensively, you would know American record of betrayal is just peanuts to the big name like French, Britain and Russia, Russian betray 4 country in a span of 4 years during 1810, first they betray the Brits and sided with French, then they betray Austria-Hungary and sided with Sweden and then the betray Sweden and sided with the French and finally topped up with betraying French and side with the Brits.

Every body lies, when the right time came, you ditch whatever drag you down, even tho it's them who made you.

That's why, in a pure trading situation, trust is something always not on the table, you don't do business because you trust someone, you do business because you want money. Trust do not actually factor well in the equation

There is an old saying, you never do business with your friend, it will only strain your relationship, do you know why is that?

You call it a virtue, I call it lack of opportunity/skills. may be our DRDO guys are good enough for copying the product brochures only.

You can bash DRDO ,but that dont change reality.But do you know anything about the incentives of these highly qualified scientists?If they got a chance in defence MNC they will create high tech systems.You know missile development alone absorb too much HR and money of DRDO .A organisation with mere 7000 scientists,engineers and technicians cant develop high tech systems like in US .Now what is the budget of DRDO ?you can google it .I think only mere 50000 crore rs.Tell me with these mere money how can they develop cutting edge systems.China pour surplus billion dollars for R&D and plus there stealing method.They can be sure higher than India no doubt.
In China there new high qualified generation prefer their own country for future.There govt can give them good facilities.Now can you tell where is the responsibility of IITians and NITans?They easily prefer foreign country over their mother land for their future after they complete their education with govt money.That is the difference between India and China.For a aerospace industry we need private partners and good new graduates based on aeronautical engineering .But our people always prefer Computer Engineering.

You can bash DRDO ,but that dont change reality.But do you know anything about the incentives of these highly qualified scientists?If they got a chance in defence MNC they will create high tech systems.You know missile development alone absorb too much HR and money of DRDO .A organisation with mere 7000 scientists,engineers and technicians cant develop high tech systems like in US .Now what is the budget of DRDO ?you can google it .I think only mere 50000 crore rs.Tell me with these mere money how can they develop cutting edge systems.China pour surplus billion dollars for R&D and plus there stealing method.They can be sure higher than India no doubt.

In China there new high qualified generation prefer their own country for future.There govt can give them good facilities.Now can you tell where is the responsibility of IITians and NITans?They easily prefer foreign country over their mother land for their future after they complete their education with govt money.That is the difference between India and China.For a aerospace industry we need private partners and good new graduates based on aeronautical engineering .But our people always prefer Computer Engineering.

Let me give you a hint on why IITians and NIITtians do not join the Indian companies. One of my friends joined Google and was part of the team which created the "Google Mapmaker". He owns several patents with google and google shares revenue with this guy even though this guy has left the company now. Contrast that with Indian companies e.g. TATA where any invention becomes the property of the company and all that engineers get is a big pat on the back and a "Babaji ka Thullu" as consolation.

Last edited:
I was working in Defence & Homeland Security industry till 2013. I left not because money wasn't there, I left because people were full of BS. I am a private person now, earn my own money and I am happier today.

Let me give you a hint on why IITians do not join the Indian companies. One of my friends joined Google and was part of the team which created the "Google Mapmaker". He owns several patents with google and google shares revenue with this guy even though this guy has left the company now. Contrast that with Indian companies e.g. TATA where any invention becomes the property of the company and all that engineers get is a big pat on the back and a "Babaji ka Thullu" as consolation.

Man dont compare with Google and TATA.One is software industry other is engineering industry.Plus Google is so much huge than TATA.They can provide facilities that is top most in this planet.In conclusion,Top graduates in China prefer Chinese companies even if they cant provide facilities like Google.In there patriotism is working ,if they complete there education with Govt money they must be work for their country under any circumstances.
Your reply simply agree with my statement in a circle manner.My statement is that IITians prefer foreign countries for their own future.You conceded that and that is in contrast what is it in China.Google is a US company and US is world largest economy sothey can provide money that our developing India cant provide.

Graduates that has same caliber or more brilliant than to your friend is work in DRDO with mere govt salary by rejecting
top jobs in World largest companies with excellent salary.You know why they prefer our DRDO ,only because their responsibility

My friend ,he is not my trade ,he is mech.eng selected in Boeing with excellent salary .But he also get in HAL as eng trainee.But he take HAL as his carreer.He is not IITians we are from a private college in kerala.

Man dont compare with Google and TATA.One is software industry other is engineering industry.Plus Google is so much huge than TATA.They can provide facilities that is top most in this planet.In conclusion,Top graduates in China prefer Chinese companies even if they cant provide facilities like Google.In there patriotism is working ,if they complete there education with Govt money they must be work for their country under any circumstances.
Your reply simply agree with my statement in a circle manner.My statement is that IITians prefer foreign countries for their own future.You conceded that and that is in contrast what is it in China.Google is a US company and US is world largest economy sothey can provide money that our developing India cant provide.

Graduates that has same caliber or more brilliant than to your friend is work in DRDO with mere govt salary by rejecting
top jobs in World largest companies with excellent salary.You know why they prefer our DRDO ,only because their responsibility

My friend ,he is not my trade ,he is mech.eng selected in Boeing with excellent salary .But he also get in HAL as eng trainee.But he take HAL as his carreer.He is not IITians we are from a private college in kerala.

Google wasn't always world's largest company, it grew because it could create best technologies by retaining the best technical brains. If you ever get a chance to visit Sector 24 in Noida please go and see the big Reliance Energy building. You will notice that there is an Adobe building on the opposite side of the road which has almost the same floor area. The Reliance building houses more than 1000 employees, Adobe houses less than 100 employees, rest of the space contains facilities like swimming pool, cafeteria etc. Adobe values and invests in it's man power, Reliance doesn't.

Just because a person is patriot doesn't mean that the person is willing to get exploited. Talent has to be respected and nurtured.

Google wasn't always world's largest company, it grew because it could create best technologies by retaining the best technical brains. If you ever get a chance to visit Sector 24 in Noida please go and see the big Reliance Energy building. You will notice that there is an Adobe building on the opposite side of the road which has almost the same floor area. The Reliance building houses more than 1000 employees, Adobe houses less than 100 employees, rest of the space contains facilities like swimming pool, cafeteria etc. Adobe values and invests in it's man power, Reliance doesn't.

Just because a person is patriot doesn't mean that the person is willing to get exploited. Talent has to be respected and nurtured.

But our mission will not finished if we act like some US company..And I am not talking about Reliance or any other private company .I am talking about DRDO and other govt institution.Our govt cant provide such facilities.But still some guys prefer govt institution like this even if they have extreme talent.ISRO chairman Dr.K.Radhakrishnan is a good example.After he complete his
graduation from Govt Eng college Thrissur he got two ways.One is a high job in IBM and other is in ISRO.Now you can compare IBM and ISRO at that time and present time.IF he prefer IBM then you may can see him as CEO like present CEO of Microsoft.
That is what I am talking about.Reliance is not good and they are not a player in defence ,only in oil and energy.But our govt institution not like that .within their limits DRDO and ISRO like facilities do commendable job.

But our mission will not finished if we act like some US company..And I am not talking about Reliance or any other private company .I am talking about DRDO and other govt institution.Our govt cant provide such facilities.But still some guys prefer govt institution like this even if they have extreme talent.ISRO chairman Dr.K.Radhakrishnan is a good example.After he complete his
graduation from Govt Eng college Thrissur he got two ways.One is a high job in IBM and other is in ISRO.Now you can compare IBM and ISRO at that time and present time.IF he prefer IBM then you may can see him as CEO like present CEO of Microsoft.
That is what I am talking about.Reliance is not good and they are not a player in defence ,only in oil and energy.But our govt institution not like that .within their limits DRDO and ISRO like facilities do commendable job.

Defence or non-defence, nature of the fundamental research is always the same, only the implementation/usage is different. Our institutions lag severely in the fundamental research and no amount of funding can change it. This is a cultural problem. This cannot be dealt with by increasing the funding.

Unfortunately ISRO and DRDO have not done anything so far which might make them best in their league. We are still waiting for that one breakthrough.

Answer a very simple question: How many Cryptographic algorithm have have our research institutions and universities discovered? The answer is NONE. We rely on NIST (US) standardized algorithm for our information security. Now, that is a Math problem which doesn't require any investment at all, but only a few bright Maths PHDs.

Defence or non-defence, nature of the fundamental research is always the same, only the implementation/usage is different. Our institutions lag severely in the fundamental research and no amount of funding can change it. This is a cultural problem. This cannot be dealt with by increasing the funding.

Unfortunately ISRO and DRDO have not done anything so far which might make them best in their league. We are still waiting for that one breakthrough.

Answer a very simple question: How many Cryptographic algorithm have have our research institutions and universities discovered? The answer is NONE. We rely on NIST (US) standardized algorithm for our information security. Now, that is a Math problem which doesn't require any investment at all, but only a few bright Maths PHDs.

Oh yes ISRO .man what are you talking about?I agree with you partly with DRDO .But ISRO no one of us is not qualified to criticize them.You may know so much about new S&T.But our fundamental cultural problem is too destroy all the funds of govt by talking green card to US.No one in the developing countries make pathbreak technology.But Chinese make so much efforts for that in future that is something we must appreciating.
Brilliant scientists like Anil Kakodhkar made so much innovation in Nuclear research.You know after 1974 no one in the world help us even Russia.But now India is a world leader in the Thorium research.We have funds, HR all facilities .it is about utilisation.
We cant provide lavish funds like in US .All I am talking about responsible citizen need to work in India if they complete graduation with govt help.Lot of scientists and engineers prove their competency and capability by work in India in DRDO ,ISRO etc.And they must complete their responsibility by work in severe conditions.

Back
Top Bottom