What's new

Should Turkey be the next permanent member of United Nations Security Council?

Should Turkey be the next permanent member of United Nations Security Council?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so then every religion needs a Permanent member?

rolls eyes

Your analogy is based on religion for what reason ? - if it is the case there are over 1.6 billion Muslims in the world which is 1 in 4 humans and produce most of world's oil and have 4 largest heavily armed militaries out of 10 largest in the world - if they need a representation then why not?

I guess it will give a little more credibility to UNSC which at the moment is a mess- just look at what US did with recent resolution condemning israel.

based on religion for the the fact that the original Poster suggested a nation because they're muslim.

Israel should become a perm member then to represent all the jews in the world?

I'd kick France and Britain out. UNSC is not supposed to be fair. It's supposed to be about military, economic and scientific strength.

based on religion for the the fact that the original Poster suggested a nation because they're muslim.

Israel should become a perm member then to represent all the jews in the world?

I think US is representing them quite well.

Yes because there is not a single middle eastern nation on the permanent UNSC board..

Zero chance.

France and Germany will be against it. They are the biggest opponents of Turkey joining the EU.
US will be agaisnt it because of Israel pressure.
China will be against it because of Uighur issue.
Russia will be against it because of Caucus politics (Armenua).
Britain might support them only because they know it will never happen.

Your analogy is based on religion for what reason ? - if it is the case there are over 1.6 billion Muslims in the world which is 1 in 4 humans and produce most of world's oil and have 4 largest heavily armed militaries out of 10 largest in the world - if they need a representation then why not?
Muslims are constantly represented in UNSC, simply by different countries. And I hope u were joking about heavily armed militaries.

I guess it will give a little more credibility to UNSC which at the moment is a mess- just look at what US did with recent resolution condemning israel.
UN is already extremely anti Israel biased. Adding another vote wont change anything.

Muslims are constantly represented in UNSC, simply by different countries. And I hope u were joking about heavily armed militaries.

UN is already extremely anti Israel biased. Adding another vote wont change anything.

We WANT more representation & Turkey shall get it.

Everyone hates Israel for a reason and rightfully so , you Israelis always underestimate others - have fun dealing with Hizbullah let alone any organized military.

Anyway -- its not the topic.

I do not think they have reached there yet.

I fully support this notion because we need a country from Middle East in order to solve disputes, represent ~1 billion+ people from all over the world, Muslims.

Saudi Arabia is not capable to handle such a situation/responsibility and same goes to Iran. Pakistan is surrounded by many social and religion problems--

I think that Turkey, being secular and representing ~1 billion Muslims, should be the next permanent member.

What do you think?

That is true.

Zero chance.

France and Germany will be against it. They are the biggest opponents of Turkey joining the EU.
US will be agaisnt it because of Israel pressure.
China will be against it because of Uighur issue.
Russia will be against it because of Caucus politics (Armenua).
Britain might support them only because they know it will never happen.

I fully support this notion because we need a country from Middle East in order to solve disputes, represent ~1 billion+ people from all over the world, Muslims.

Saudi Arabia is not capable to handle such a situation/responsibility and same goes to Iran. Pakistan is surrounded by many social and religion problems--

I think that Turkey, being secular and representing ~1 billion Muslims, should be the next permanent member.
What do you think?

I for one am completely against a "religious" representation....This will cause more problems than solutions....
I mean for one, how do you solve a political issue such as Kashmir or Palestine if you view the problem through the goggles of religion?

I do support Turkey for being a Secular and progressive state that has managed to maintain healthy relations with even a state like Israel (of course barring the recent freeze)...something I feel the rest of the Muslim world has not been capable of achieving...

Though the fact that Turkey does not have an independent foreign policy and that its fate is tied to the NATO alliance is definitely a negative as it gives more power to western countries....

I do not see Turkey being voted as a Parmanent member at least in the near future....
Besides, not like they have shown any interest or been courting countries to support their entry...

I think we are not there yet. We are still a regional power and while we have influence in the ME(and a little in the EU mainly economy) neither our political,military and economic power extends beyond these bounds to a global level(This is what is looked for in permanent members). It is better we focus on EU membership and improving the country more then anything else.

Back
Top Bottom