What's new

Saudi Arabia bans 50 names including 'Rama' for 'conflicting with kingdom's culture'

So this illusion is something specific that prevents you from realizing the truth or just the whole world in general? So then if everything around you is an illusion how do you know if the greater illusion is not that while everything else is real you are the illusion? So how do you know you are real, do you guys believe in Descartes' I think therefore I am?
Yes. Pertinent questions. And I am not qualified to answer them all or perfectly answer the questions. I can give my limited understanding.
But there is one philosophy that you should know that permeates Dharmic religions. That all rivers lead to the same ocean. Each individual can achieve enlightenment through a different or unique way.

So while one thing can be maya for me, it may or may not be maya for you. Something that is maya for you, may not be for me.
But we are both striving for the same thing subconsciously. We may not know that yet.

Khujliwal has written A good example of how throwing up is a reminder of Dharma. Or the Right thing to do.
If I throw up and look at the mess it reminds me of my mistake (could be drinks, careless with food or weather), it guides me to be on the right path. What is god if not that?

I can give an example of Islam as well. While Islam may appear different from Hinduism...what is the ultimate goal that Islam or any other religion espouses?
Answer - in Indian language - to follow Dharma.
Dharma means doing the Right thing, or path of righteousness.

It seeks to make humans better, or give us the inspiration to better ourselves.

Yes. Pertinent questions. And I am not qualified to answer them all or perfectly answer the questions. I can give my limited understanding.
But there is one philosophy that you should know that permeates Dharmic religions. That all rivers lead to the same ocean. Each individual can achieve enlightenment through a different or unique way.

So while one thing can be maya for me, it may or may not be maya for you. Something that is maya for you, may not be for me.
But we are both striving for the same thing subconsciously. We may not know that yet.

Khujliwal has written A good example of how throwing up is a reminder of Dharma. Or the Right thing to do.

I can give an example of Islam as well. While Islam may appear different from Hinduism...what is the ultimate goal that Islam or any other religion espouses?
Answer - in Indian language - to follow Dharma.
Dharma means doing the Right thing, or path of righteousness.

It seeks to make humans better, or give us the inspiration to better ourselves.
If we start discussing religion, we can go on and on. Maya and dharma a hindu can understand, but it won't strike a chord with a non hindu, similarly islam and its learnings a hindu may not connect with. Though I agree every religion talks about peace, love and tolerance. Depends upon us how we interpret it. You can see two muslims with ideologies 180 degrees out of phase. Same with hindus. But banning is not religion for sure.

What about the concept of maya, if everything is maya and everything is God then God is maya so what is the point lol? Or are these philosophies specific to certain schools and do not overlap?
So this illusion is something specific that prevents you from realizing the truth or just the whole world in general? So then if everything around you is an illusion how do you know if the greater illusion is not that while everything else is real you are the illusion? So how do you know you are real, do you guys believe in Descartes' I think therefore I am?
That's the illusion that Hinduism lands you into if you delve deep into it......you'll no longer feel as an Individual but a part of the universe....
If you consider God as an individual then you'll get confused but if you think of it as energy/force/power(the supreme power) which resides in every atom of the universe which makes the atom work i.e atoms are like individuals itself....and we're made up of these atoms....and when we'll die, we'll disintegrate into these atoms/individuals/units again.....i.e we're nothing but these atoms are everything...more precisely, the energy/force/power withing these atoms are everything.
This is the Maya/illusion.....you think you're a living and thinking individual but you are just like a Robot made up of individual atoms which are part of the universe and as living/non-living as a bar of Iron or a piece of log...'cause they are made up of atoms too which have similar energy/power/force within them.....

Last edited:
So why is Rama banned then? Don't tell me any Arab had that name before. :lol:

See KSA is an Islamic country and it would follow its own rules. But the reason behind banning Rama is religious and not because it is not an Arabic word. I don't have a problem with that. Personally I would never live in a country without religious freedom and where government dictates what name you can keep, but I am not going to complain about it either.

So why is Rama banned then? Don't tell me any Arab had that name before. :lol:

Interesting :lol: How did you come up with such a conclusion :rofl:

I dare not to speak on behave of ~400 million people, who live in 20 and something country. I only speak of my own country.

See KSA is an Islamic country and it would follow its own rules. But the reason behind banning Rama is religious and not because it is not an Arabic word

Of course we are an Islamic country, and we can do whatever we want to do!

But prove to us that Rama has a meaning in Arabic?

I don't have a problem with that

No body said you do. We are indifferent to what you makes feel comfortable and what not.

Personally I would never live in a country without religious freedom and where government dictates what name you can keep

Even if you were living in KSA, this legistaltion is a matter of no concern to Non-Saudis, unless you want to be a Saudi which is impossible.

but I am not going to complain about it either

As I stated earlier, wether you complaint or not. It won't affect us.

What about the concept of maya, if everything is maya and everything is God then God is maya so what is the point lol? Or are these philosophies specific to certain schools and do not overlap?

This particular philosophy is specific to advaitya branch of vedanta school of philosophy.

Yes indeed. Everything around us

Seems like you have a hot key for LoLz, I am not pissed at anything, had that been the case I would have encouraged people in my country to ban names, since you have a problem with the name Rama or Ram as we say it, why limit it to human beings? Pissed are the ones who ban, not the ones who tolerate.

We will ban everything that doesn't cope up with our cultural and social values.

Speaking of the limitation of humans, I don't think that such decision would kill anyone. It just is something alien to us.

Is that what you understood from my post? :lol:

Your initial post was:

I am sure there are many such alien names with no meanings in Arabic, but why Rama? It has to be religious.

And I replied by saying that nameless names with no meaning in Arabic are odd.

Keep in touch bro :wave:

Next ...

If we start discussing religion, we can go on and on. Maya and dharma a hindu can understand, but it won't strike a chord with a non hindu, similarly islam and its learnings a hindu may not connect with. Though I agree every religion talks about peace, love and tolerance. Depends upon us how we interpret it. You can see two muslims with ideologies 180 degrees out of phase. Same with hindus. But banning is not religion for sure.

No I do understand your concepts although I do not necessarily agree with them.

If I throw up and look at the mess it reminds me of my mistake (could be drinks, careless with food or weather), it guides me to be on the right path. What is god if not that?

Some of the reasons why you would throw up are not necessarily your mistake so it would have nothing to do with right or wrong.

This particular philosophy is specific to advaitya branch of vedanta school of philosophy.

I meant the concept of pantheism and maya do people who believe in one also adhere to the other?

They should remove Saudi from their name. The arab peninsula is not a personal fiefdom of the house of Saud. It's history is far older than that.

That's the illusion that Hinduism lands you into if you delve deep into it......you'll no longer feel as an Individual but a part of the universe....
If you consider God as an individual then you'll get confused but if you think of it as energy/force/power(the supreme power) which resides in every atom of the universe which makes the atom work i.e atoms are like individuals itself....and we're made up of these atoms....and when we'll die, we'll disintegrate into these atoms/individuals/units again.....i.e we're nothing but these atoms are everything...more precisely, the energy/force/power withing these atoms are everything.
This is the Maya/illusion.....you think you're a living and thinking individual but you are just like a Robot made up of individual atoms which are part of the universe and as living/non-living as a bar of Iron or a piece of log...'cause they are made up of atoms too which have similar energy/power/force within them.....

Muslims do not believe in an anthropomorphic interpretation of God. I disagree, if the maya is that we are made to think that we exist, the fact that something is trying to influence us into believing a certain way is evidence that we do in fact exist. If we did not exist and were an illusion in on ourselves why would somebody (or something? who causes this illusion?) go to such trouble to make us think we are alive. Furthermore if all is an illusion then there is no right or wrong as nothing we think we are doing is actually real but that cannot be right because morality seems to be an innate feature exhibited in all types of man with differing degrees.

I meant the concept of pantheism and maya do people who believe in one also adhere to the other?

Theoretically, It is impossible to believe in pantheism without believing in maya. But i have till date not came across a single person who puts his brain towards interpreting philosophical basis of religion except for people who are interested in philosophy, who oddly are not too much into practicing religion.

Back
Top Bottom