What's new

Saudi Arabia bans English language

To de-learn something takes time and resources.

Going absolute against English will be counterproductive to our nation. If one wants to preserve its older culture and language then they have to become prosperous again specially in India or Pakistan's case. The damage done by colonial powers was/is going to stay longer. It cannot be as simple like switching it on and off.

Our nations must show intentions to going back to our roots gradually, though. In India our recognized regional languages are quite healthy but English is still a connecting language which we shouldn't mind at all. Just for sake of non-academic nationalistic nonsense we cannot make our daily life miserable and contradict realities without feasible solutions in hand; which again demand resources.

@ Srilankan poster Samv something, your BS against India is adding no substance to this discussion. I will pick/quote your bias next time.

You mean children in private schools or children who studied English in primary schools?
I think correlation might be established between the two factors but not causation.

My Psychology assignment was apwriting a research essay on Human Development in 3-12 years in my city Taif. Me and my friends went to 15 private schools and 15 public schools. 13 of the 15 private schools taught English in primary grades. The other two taught an option of French or Chinese with English (they were the really expensive ones).

We found out that 89% of private school graduates go to college. While only 45% of public schools graduates are accepted into colleges. The ones who went to private schools scored higher in Qias tests than their public counterparts. Those that studied English are more likely to become doctors and engineers. While public ones mostly went on to become teachers at best. Of cours people from public schools went on to become doctors and engineers as well but not as much as private school students.

Where did you get Indians from this article to pull them in and with what face do you even comment about Indians when you yourself CHOOSE to give up your Islamic country in favor of being under Judea Christian laws?

Leave him mate he is one of those desi (Pakistani) living in isolation, hating Indians and adding to below poverty list of Canada.

I agree with U my friend...Its shame for our country that we never banned English and never tried to preserve our culture....its a damn shame......We shold follow Saudia and bann this corrupt English culture as well as their language within our country.....Excellent step taken by the Saudi govt..............:)

Your proposal will have few takers even in your country.

Finally we agree on something!

Is it me or the crazies are all out on this post. There are posters like this guy who themselves choose to live in Christian judea countries , ran away from their Islamic countries- preaching how right KSA in its stride to be more stupid ...

There are always translations available.

True, but it is not the same.

This won't fly anyway. English is too embedded into the world by now.

As for the translations...you cannot brainstorm with fellow scientists if not speaking the same language and be pretty good at it, you cannot roam freely on the net in search of documents (Google translate is a joke), it just in general erodes your competitiveness..it's little unaccounted effects like these that make up for the statistics that Mosamania showed.

True, but it is not the same.

This won't fly anyway. English is too embedded into the world by now.

How come China is 'flying' then? In downtown beijing you'd be lucky to notice any english.

Back to topic, it just takes a couple of clicks to translate english to Arabic and vice versa or via OCR. I see no reason why those who wish to live and earn in Saudi should have to learn any other language than Arabic.

Don't you think that the Gujarati, Punjabi, Marathi, Bengali languages in India take a secondary role to Hindi? It's a different matter with the South Indian languages I think.

This is very true of not only India, but most South Asian countries. It is a shame that Hindi is not adopting because it does have the capability to be a very well known language spoken by hundreds of millions of people and be the lingua franca of South Asia. I wonder whether the long history of colonialism in the region is one of the reasons for this. It is quite impressive how with China, everything is in Chinese.

buddy punjabi is influencing hindi. not the other way. naach became nach. hamara became saddda and many more. punjabis in india take pride in speaking punjabi and hindi/urdu is language of unsophisticated people like street vendors or migrant labourers. first get knowlege about punjab then speak. indian punjabi rarely speaks hindi/ordu. very rarely

My Psychology assignment was apwriting a research essay on Human Development in 3-12 years in my city Taif. Me and my friends went to 15 private schools and 15 public schools. 13 of the 15 private schools taught English in primary grades. The other two taught an option of French or Chinese with English (they were the really expensive ones).

We found out that 89% of private school graduates go to college. While only 45% of public schools graduates are accepted into colleges. The ones who went to private schools scored higher in Qias tests than their public counterparts. Those that studied English are more likely to become doctors and engineers. While public ones mostly went on to become teachers at best. Of cours people from public schools went on to become doctors and engineers as well but not as much as private school students.
Cool assignment!!
However, what you mentioned is not a controlled experiment. Its a survey, thus lurking variables can't be ruled out. To be able to establish causation, you would need to control all potential causes that might effect results in one way or another. Such as wealth and family background. So, yes there is a potential correlation between success and having learned English in primary schools, however it can't be said the its the main factor for it.

I disagree, English if taught correctly can easily be mastered in six years(high school). Its bound to effect children's Arabic skills if English is taught as well.

I don't know how you reached this conclusion. In my place a student graduates from school with a knowledge of 3 languages.

This is idiotic. Promote Arabic by all means, but banning English isn't really going to help. IF anything Saudi needs English to improve its universities and academic output.

Use language for communication, making it a political and ego issue is so 20th century.

How come China is 'flying' then? In downtown beijing you'd be lucky to notice any english.

Back to topic, it just takes a couple of clicks to translate english to Arabic and vice versa or via OCR. I see no reason why those who wish to live and earn in Saudi should have to learn any other language than Arabic.

i edited that post a bit more, added some stuff. Try translating a science paper with Google Translate and you will see what i mean.

China is flying for much different reasons and not because they all speak mandarin. Also can you imagine what a fuss it would be to read the opinions of this forum's Saudi members through translator. Post by post....

Is it me or the crazies are all out on this post. There are posters like this guy who themselves choose to live in Christian judea countries , ran away from their Islamic countries- preaching how right KSA in its stride to be more stupid ...
LOL why you mad:D
I thought Canada was a secular country!
I am only here to get an Education and leave and didn't run away from an Islamic country.
Look at my nationality flag, Saudis don't immigrate to anywhere!

Back
Top Bottom