What's new

Nine Hindi films set to hit Bangladesh market in October

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Nine Hindi films set to hit Bangladesh market in October

Gulf Times ? Qatar?s top-selling English daily newspaper - SriLanka/Bangladesh

By Mizan Rahman
Dhaka

Bangladesh’s filmmakers and cultural activists have voiced grave concern over the fate of the country’s film industry as the distributors have finalised deals to import nine commercial Hindi films by the second week of October.

They said the unregulated import of Indian movies is opening up the avenues for cultural aggression by Bollywood, and it will push Bangladeshi commercial films towards an ‘unequal competition’ with the much-developed film industry in India.

Secretary general of Bangladesh Motion Pictures’ Distributors Association (BMPDA) Mian Alauddin told newsmen in Dhaka yesterday that the distributors would be able to submit nine Hindi films to the censor board very soon as the films will arrive by the second week of October.

He said the nine Bollywood hits of both past and contemporary times are Sholay, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Don, Wanted, Three Idiots, Taare Jameen Par, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge, Dil to Pagal Hai and Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.

Alauddin said this will be the second batch of movies coming from India, following the screening of three Bengali Indian movies that hit the Bangladeshi screens on December 23 last year. “The government has also assured us of allowing more imports on a regular basis in the coming days and we’re hopeful of doing better business and reviving the movie houses,” he added. The Indian films that have already been screened in movies houses are Jor, Bodla and Sangram. There were protests when the Commerce Ministry gave permission for the import. The Information Ministry also fought against the decision in the High Court (HC).

Although the HC gave its verdict in favour of the Information Ministry, it also gave another order to allow the screening of the three Indian movies already contracted by Bangladesh cinema hall owners in response to a writ petition filed by them.

Moshiuddin Shaker, director of the prominent movie Surja Dighal Bari, said, “This is a fatal move for the country’s film industry. It’ll lead to an unequal competition. On the other hand, launching of Indian commercial movies on the mega screen will bring forth severe cultural consequences.”

Bangladeshi film industry too facing dilemma like Pakistani film industry.

We also have Hollywood films running in our country ... it makes huge money too but that doesn't stops us from watching bolywood ....heck in south , Bengal and orrisa the local industry is more popular than Bollywood ... so i don't understand why are u afraid of Bollywood

If it is only to promote some old movies of India then it is ok but it should not be full scale promotion of Indian hindi movie. Now a days people do not watch hindi movie much that they used to do even 2-3 years ago... same also applies to me... I do not watch its around 4 years or more.

Rawamy is on its last leg , still dreaming to convert banglades as one of the states of mother india

I would say its a good move.At least theater owners will have some movies to do business with.Our people are already exposed to hindi culture through television,internet so i don't see any further assault on our culture.Rather it'd bring some competition to the industry which i personally think would work as a catalyst for making good films.

I would say its a good move.At least theater owners will have some movies to do business with.Our people are already exposed to hindi culture through television,internet so i don't see any further assault on our culture.Rather it'd bring some competition to the industry which i personally think would work as a catalyst for making good films.

Just beacuse hindi movie and culture already invaded our media and influenced us badly does not mean these freestyle movie showing will not hurt us more. Eve teasing and widespread social disfuction are directly realted to hindi media not only in Bangladesh but also in india. Besides, when indian movies are readily seen in tv then why give more permission to indian business interest?

In Bangladeh movie theater audiences are different than audience at home. So this latest attempt is not to make money for hall owners but real target is pushing indian style and produts to more Bangladeshi consumenrs. If you are loosing the plot you are just naive to see big picture here.

Moreover this permission to show indian movie in theater is laters display of Awami league indian stooge act.

@idune
you are not allowing him to see even small picture , how can he entertain your big picture ?
But i agree with you .. Bollywood sucks apart from few melodious songs ..

Back
Top Bottom