What's new

Learning Arabic... Finally.

with english accent it comes out Khummus. True story.

Khummus is slang for slapping someone, since it means five and you have five fingers, so when you say "Adeto Mukhmmas" it means I ***** slapped the dude.

So yeah Khummus means b1t h slap

One of the things the instructor said was the question words can be substituted either in the beginning or at the end and its better to put it in the end - like Da Eh?

What is this Shami accent? To get by in UAE, I'm guessing if I speak Egyptian accent, Arabs will be ROFL right?

Also what Arabic does Google Translate use?

If I say Ana aawiz shayi! Is that normal to be used in the Gulf Region to say I want Tea?

See GCC people understand all Arabic accents with no trouble, however since the language originated from here there are certain words and phrases that Shamis and Egyptians use that we ROFL about.

Ana aawiz Shay is pure Egyptian for I want tea. In eastern GCC accent they say "Abi Shay", in western Arabia we say "Abgha Shahi".

One of the things the instructor said was the question words can be substituted either in the beginning or at the end and its better to put it in the end - like Da Eh?

What is this Shami accent? To get by in UAE, I'm guessing if I speak Egyptian accent, Arabs will be ROFL right?

Also what Arabic does Google Translate use?

If I say Ana aawiz shayi! Is that normal to be used in the Gulf Region to say I want Tea?

Google translate is good for translating each word separately, do NOT under any circumstances try to translate an entire paragraph or sentence.
It translates to Fosha Arabic, the pure Quran none accent Arabic, however you translate a while sentence and it is Alpha Centauri Arabic, I mean cheeesh it can't get worse if it tried.

Umad Bro???? :D

Nah Raz, you are my habibi. ;)

Well, my friend you need to be patient with learning a new language, I'm technically a linguist so hope I'll be helpful:

These are the best tips for learning a language:

* The language is of four skills; speaking, reading, listening, and writing. It's very important to learn those four skills side by side to advance, the best way to do that as per my experience which is through Educational entertainment as learning a language is a long and boring process, so you need to learn it like this:

A- Listening, watch subtitled Arabic movies, series, programs and news on daily basis to familiarize your ears to the language and yet understand what is told to you.

B- Writing, try to write daily diary in Arabic, or join Arabic forums that suit your interests, for example, defense-related forums, and try to write on daily basis, use Google translation to help you out in this.

C- Reading, it's vital for you to read ORALLY, to familiarize your tongue with pronunciation of Arabic sounds, try to read Arabic novels, newspapers..ect again ORALLY.

D- Speaking, try to use Arabic expressions and use Arabic as much as possible with people around you.

2- Understand that grammar is not a goal in itself, so putting too much efforts in learning it on the expense of the language (vocabulary) will not be as helpful as expect it to be, of course it's helpful but understand that it's an auxiliary asset to the aforementioned four skills.

3- Vocabulary Vocabulary Vocabulary Vocabulary Vocabulary.

4- Comprehension skill is very important as well and can be acquired in process of learning the four skills.

See GCC people understand all Arabic accents with no trouble, however since the language originated from here there are certain words and phrases that Shamis and Egyptians use that we ROFL about.

Ana aawiz Shay is pure Egyptian for I want tea. In eastern GCC accent they say "Abi Shay", in western Arabia we say "Abgha Shahi".

Jordanians are the most who use standard Arabic in their dialect unlike you people, you missed up Arabic like everything else, :azn:

Hi,

Classical Arabic is understandable by all, which the Qur'an written in it. Egyptian Arabic is only a dialect (as Jordanian, Lebanese Syrian...) spoken by the people in Egypt only. It is understandable but the Classical Arabic is the basic.

I recommend Noorart which carries many products for learning Arabic

Good Luck :)

So @BLACKEAGLE can you teach me some Arabic ? :kiss3:

Hi,

Classical Arabic is understandable by all, which the Qur'an written in it. Egyptian Arabic is only a dialect (as Jordanian, Lebanese Syrian...) spoken by the people in Egypt only. It is understandable but the Classical Arabic is the basic.

I recommend Noorart which carries many products for learning Arabic

Good Luck :)

Another Jordanian ! Hey @BLACKEAGLE now you're not the only one ! :yay:

Which means your monopoly on all things Jordan & Jordanian ends here ! :bunny:

Whats up akhi, Tala ? :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ana reed shayi...

Reed also means want. Atleast in Oman.

Anta reed fuloos. You need money?

I found the Omani Arabic the most 'corrupt' if you call it...alot of words in common with Urdu, I know that urdu us derived from Arabic, but Omani Arabic language is similar in a different way. Maybe it is because of the Balochi/Makrani influence.

What will be better to use in the Gulf Region

Where is he?

Huwa Fain?

Fain Huwa?

Also, is it it Fain or Wain? I've grown up hearing terms like Wain bataka? I'm happy to learn the slang and the shortcuts, as long as they are acceptable in the UAE. Also thing to note is, some slang only sounds good out of a particular nationality. An Egyptian would get by saying Eh da? A Pakistani would probably send others ROFL.

You see my goal is not to pass an Arabic Literature exam, it is to be conversant. So technically Fussha Arabic would be counter productive as its probably not used... Or I think its only used by Sudanese people.

Ana reed shayi...

Reed also means want. Atleast in Oman.

Anta reed fuloos. You need money?

I found the Omani Arabic the most 'corrupt' if you call it...alot of words in common with Urdu, I know that urdu us derived from Arabic, but Omani Arabic language is similar in a different way. Maybe it is because of the Balochi/Makrani influence.

Just 1 hr ago I was discussing my predicament with an Emirati colleague and his suggestion was to "Go slap your teacher for teaching you Egyptian dialect". I told him its a CD, he said slap her still :D

About the Omani thing he said, just stay away. Egyptian is better than Omani as you can't even call it Arabic. Khair, I'm not really out here to judge. To me they all sound Arabic-ish. But when I noticed a few differences, I was sure native speakers would definitely call me on it.

On the CD the instructor had said the Egyptian dialect is the most widely accepted dialect. Now I'm not so sure how correct it is.

What will be better to use in the Gulf Region

Where is he?

Huwa Fain?

Fain Huwa?

I've only heard Wain...I ain't no expert though.

Just 1 hr ago I was discussing my predicament with an Emirati colleague and his suggestion was to "Go slap your teacher for teaching you Egyptian dialect". I told him its a CD, he said slap her still :D

About the Omani thing he said, just stay away. Egyptian is better than Omani as you can't even call it Arabic. Khair, I'm not really out here to judge. To me they all sound Arabic-ish. But when I noticed a few differences, I was sure native speakers would definitely call me on it.

On the CD the instructor had said the Egyptian dialect is the most widely accepted dialect. Now I'm not so sure how correct it is.

What's the problem with the Egyptian dialect? Is it radically different than the one spoken here?

Back
Top Bottom