What's new

Learning Arabic... Finally.

Hi,

Thank you very much for the last sentence in your post---. To know thy enemy---you got to know his language---then you got to start to learn to think in his language. To learn to start to think in that language is the most difficult and crucial part.

For some it never happens---they can just speak the language.

I wish our pakistani cricket team players knew that.

Normal people don't think like that. Most people will be like me, learn the language, open up avenues for a better job...

It's up to you after-all, but trust me, those CDs or Learn Arabic in Five Days Books will help very little and even could confuse you more especially when you try to learn dialects, there is no such thing as Learning Emarati Arabic or Saudi Arabic, of course you can learn it as only spoken by intermingling with it's people and have a lot of talks, the thing that you didn't achieve after being there for years. Not only every gulf country has it's own dialect but within every country there are different dialects, can you believe that we have in the small Jordan about 10 different local dialects?

You get to learn the standard Arabic and then move into dialects as they are all revolve around it. I have never been to GCC but I can speak their dialect and that's due to getting the standard Arabic first.

Good luck

I'm trying to speak with my colleagues, but each time its always like "Oh this is Egyptian, Oh this is not Fosha Arabic".

I'm sure if I ask them, Inta Gayyil, Bukra? They'll understand me, but there will be an argument over the usage of gayyi.

Mind you the teacher is very good - the link I gave to Zarvan. Within hours she had American and British speakers conversing basic thoughts in Arabic.

How do you say "Your" in Arabic, not you, but your.

From what I've gathered is... You can just add ak or ik (depending on if the your is addressing a male or a female) to noun words like bintak, ibnak, ummak... Does this apply to non living things like books too?

So something like Where's your son, can be Ibnak fain?

Or where's your book? Kitabak fain?

The best Arabic to learn is " Modern Standard Arabic ". I would like to go to an Arabic Country to learn this language. My goal is to go there during Summer break and be completely fluent in 3 months. It is very easy for us Pakistanis to learn Arabic if we learn it in an class room environment because almost 30% of our language is based on Arabic.

The best Arabic to learn is " Modern Standard Arabic ". I would like to go to an Arabic Country to learn this language. My goal is to go there during Summer break and be completely fluent in 3 months. It is very easy for us Pakistanis to learn Arabic if we learn it in an class room environment because almost 30% of our language is based on Arabic.

I'll take up your suggestion on MSA.

In Dubai there's a good institute, called Eton institute, but anything in Dubai would be expensive.

I'm trying to learn a little bit from home first, then definitely will join classes.

You can expect to spend USD 400 per month. But you will not be completely fluent. That task will take years.

So after spending 30+ years in the UAE, I've finally decided to learn some Arabic. Unlike other Arabian countries, English and Urdu have a very strong presence here and people like me just never felt the need to learn Arabic.

Of course its a massive asset, you can get by without knowing a word in Arabic as 99% of UAE's non-Arab expats do everyday, but you can't excel in the core governmental departments without knowing Arabic.

Unlike in most other countries, in UAE anything governmental is always the best. Like Government hospitals, Government Universities (not so much for schools) and even Government run organizations. They give the biggest pay checks too.

Now the CDs I got for learning are very good. The instructor is some western accent woman but she explains it very nicely. The emphasis is on spoken Arabic (I can read Arabic obviously because of the Quran) and getting you conversant really fast. Although the instructor mentions that she's teaching Egyptian Arabic, since that's understood everywhere. I don't know how true that is. She says that since the cinema is mostly Egyptian, all Arabs have been exposed to Egyptian Arabic thoroughly.

Coming from an Urdu background, I picked up a lot of the foundation things really fast like grammar rules.

So has anyone else tried to learn Arabic and what were their experiences?
@Mosamania @BLACKEAGLE @nuclearpak @Imran Khan @JonAsad

After Spending 30 Years in Arab country you started to learn Arabic Now....:omghaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you say "Your" in Arabic, not you, but your.

From what I've gathered is... You can just add ak or ik (depending on if the your is addressing a male or a female) to noun words like bintak, ibnak, ummak... Does this apply to non living things like books too?

So something like Where's your son, can be Ibnak fain?

Or where's your book? Kitabak fain?

Yes, exactly.

So Blackeagle-

whats the difference between- Ana Ureed- Ana Ayez ?- then there is "Ibgha" having similar meaning-
which is the proper way to say "i need"-
The very same meaning.
Ana Ureed is used by some gulf people. Ana Ayez is used by Egyptians. Ana Abgha is as well used by some gulf people. Jordanians say "Ana bidi"

The very same meaning.
Ana Ureed is used by some gulf people. Ana Ayez is used by Egyptians. Ana Abgha is as well used by some gulf people. Jordanians say "Ana bidi"

Zaeek ya Pasha- :D-

i think there is another word used in the same sense- like "ana ehtaj"- or "nahtaj" i think-

Hi,

Thank you very much for the last sentence in your post---. To know thy enemy---you got to know his language---then you got to start to learn to think in his language. To learn to start to think in that language is the most difficult and crucial part.

For some it never happens---they can just speak the language.

I wish our pakistani cricket team players knew that.

Enemy??? Who???

My Grand dad could not recite Quran, but he learned reading Arabic at his 70+ age. He memorized Sura Yasin at his 70+ age and finished Quran Khatam at his 70+ age.

No offence, but makwa was first arabic word i learnt :D and Haraami means thief right?

Back
Top Bottom