What's new

Learning Arabic... Finally.

Is this sentence construct fine? ممكن عندك شاي دلوقتي؟

Trying to say, Will you have tea now?

@Mosamania - What does Habibi Hayya Hayya means? It was a very popular song here :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can speak & understand Arabic, i dont claim to be a master in it, but i can manage to convey what i mean/want... neva learned it thou, just spoke with my Arab friends/co workers :D

Even I learned Arabic from grade one. The Arabic teachers were abysmal. The emphasized mugging up questions and their answers. We'd just by heart them and regurgitate it all out on the exams and pass them the exams!

You did your schooling in UAE? if yes, which school?

For Arabic i would recommend you a set of books. It is called دروس اللغة العربية It consist of 3 books. I studied the first two books two times at home my self in 2 years. What ever little Arabic i know is what i learnt at that time, I left the 3rd book due to time constraints and later on I lost interest in learning Arabic so did not continue it. After the first 2 books you will be much better than me in Arabic. But it is very important that after the first book you must listen to Arabic news and Arabic serials which will help you a lot and also speak as much Arabic as you can with Arabs. And also practice what you learn here with the Arabic members in the Arabic thread :D

This books is used approved by the Ministry of Higher Education in KSA for teaching arabic to non-arabic speakers in the the Madina University-KSA.

Each book has explanation of the lesson in English. It is easily available in the Dar-us-Salam Book Store in Sharjah and many other book shops.

دروس اللغة العربية لغير الناطقين بها [ ف. عبد الرØ*يم ] - كتب - عربي - PDF

AbdurRahman.org [ Mastering Madina Arabic Books ]

That is Egyptian accent.

My suggestion to you. Don't learn to speak any particular accent. Just learn the formal Arabic. Accent can be learnt any time later as they are based on the formal Arabic.

So after spending 30+ years in the UAE, I've finally decided to learn some Arabic. Unlike other Arabian countries, English and Urdu have a very strong presence here and people like me just never felt the need to learn Arabic.

Of course its a massive asset, you can get by without knowing a word in Arabic as 99% of UAE's non-Arab expats do everyday, but you can't excel in the core governmental departments without knowing Arabic.

Unlike in most other countries, in UAE anything governmental is always the best. Like Government hospitals, Government Universities (not so much for schools) and even Government run organizations. They give the biggest pay checks too.

Now the CDs I got for learning are very good. The instructor is some western accent woman but she explains it very nicely. The emphasis is on spoken Arabic (I can read Arabic obviously because of the Quran) and getting you conversant really fast. Although the instructor mentions that she's teaching Egyptian Arabic, since that's understood everywhere. I don't know how true that is. She says that since the cinema is mostly Egyptian, all Arabs have been exposed to Egyptian Arabic thoroughly.

Coming from an Urdu background, I picked up a lot of the foundation things really fast like grammar rules.

So has anyone else tried to learn Arabic and what were their experiences?
@Mosamania @BLACKEAGLE @nuclearpak @Imran Khan @JonAsad

Didn't they teach you Arabic in School? Tortured us enough :(

Last edited by a moderator:
The very same meaning.
Ana Ureed is used by some gulf people. Ana Ayez is used by Egyptians. Ana Abgha is as well used by some gulf people. Jordanians say "Ana bidi"

Also Aba - naba / abi - nabi

An egyptian went to a gulf country and when he returned he was asked what is the thing that fascinated and surprised you the most.

He said the name of the prophets that khaleejees have; nabee sayyara, nabee kitab, nabee fulan

I'll take up your suggestion on MSA.

In Dubai there's a good institute, called Eton institute, but anything in Dubai would be expensive.

I'm trying to learn a little bit from home first, then definitely will join classes.

You can expect to spend USD 400 per month. But you will not be completely fluent. That task will take years.

If you plan to learn from ETON there are a couple of syrian teachers there i would suggest you to get in touch with them. But never learn from an Egyptian :D

After Spending 30 Years in Arab country you started to learn Arabic Now....:omghaha:

Well because in UAE wherever you go English and Urdu is used. Unlike in KSA where yo are forced to speak Arabic. Also foreigners are allowed to study in public schools (arabic syllabus) in KSA but in UAE it is not the case.

This is also because of the demographic of the people in UAE (expats)

I didn't exactly get what you are trying to say. Is it (would you like a cup of tea? or would you plz make me a cup of tea?)

Look, Egyptian Arabic as local (can be called slang Arabic) is just messed up.

Let's take this in case you meant (Can I have a cup of tea?):

ممكن عندك شاي دلوقتي؟

"عندك" means "you have", the literal translation is (Do you have tea right now?), but it's used in Egyptian dialect as (A cup of tea as an order for sth at coffee shops) it's informal though. They often say when ordering coffee for example "عندك واحد اهوة"

If you insist in learning Egyptian dialect then watching their movies will help allot, there are many amazing movies. Tell me if you're interested so I can recommend some.

I didn't exactly get what you are trying to say. Is it (would you like a cup of tea? or would you plz make me a cup of tea?)

Look, Egyptian Arabic as local (can be called slang Arabic) is just messed up.

Let's take this in case you meant (Can I have a cup of tea?):

ممكن عندك شاي دلوقتي؟

"عندك" means "you have", the literal translation is (Do you have tea right now?), but it's used in Egyptian dialect as (A cup of tea as an order for sth at coffee shops) it's informal though. They often say when ordering coffee for example "عندك واحد اهوة"

If you insist in learning Egyptian dialect then watching their movies will help allot, there are many amazing movies. Tell me if you're interested so I can recommend some.

I saw a few Egyptian movies, at this moment i can remember تايه في امريكا ،اصحاب و لابزنس, حمام في امستردام, فول الصين العظيم، السفارة في العمارة and then there was a movie (black and white) about the war with Israel in Sinai and nationalization of Suez canal i forgot the name of the movie.

What about the old Egyptian stage shows المتزوجون، مدرسة المشاغبين، العيال كبرت one of the favorites :D .

Back
Top Bottom