What's new

Saudi Arabia bans 50 names including 'Rama' for 'conflicting with kingdom's culture'

How can you speak for all the Saudis that no one will accept these names ?

Why not just educate the people about the meanings and let them decide ?

It's because the Saudis understand that they won't compromise with anything at the expense of our cultural & social values. And since I happen to be - even though that I'm a half-Saudi - I guess I know about the Saudis much better than you do.

Weird , but whatever, their country.

What about those people who already have these names and live in Saudi ?

They won't change their names. My cousin's name is on the list, Yara :D

It's because the Saudis understand that they won't compromise with anything at the expense of our cultural & social values. And since I happen to be - even though that I'm a half-Saudi - I guess I know about the Saudis much better than you do.

Then why make a law if you are so sure.
By your logic simply raising a little awareness will do the trick.
Passing a legislation makes it seem like its a forced thing.
And what about Saudis who are Christians/Jews/Athetists ?
Can't they choose a name of their choice ?

They won't change their names. My cousin's name is on the list, Yara :D

Why is the name "Rama" against Saudi religion and culture ?

People only give baby names which has a meaning in Arabic. Rama is meaningless, and above all, it is an alien name to our culture.

Isn't that is the main point ?
To let people decide what they want.

why make a law if you are so sure.

People only give baby names which has a meaning in Arabic. Rama is meaningless, and above all, it is an alien name to our culture.

I am sure there are many such alien names with no meanings in Arabic, but why Rama? It has to be religious.

The Saudi parliament CANNOT issue a paper of notice to the other Governmental establishments where can do an X or Y something to do the " Trick "

The only thing they can pass as a legislation - and in this case - the bill goes to the Ministry of Interior, which is responsible for registering the new-born babies.

There are no Saudi Jews or Christians.

I am sure there are many such alien names with no meanings in Arabic, but why Rama? It has to be religious.

There are not. We only pick Arabic names.

Isn't that is the main point ?
To let people decide what they want.

But if people realize what the meaning of the names are - which can only be carried out by a bill - people won't pick them.

Anyway, nice talking to you man, keep in touch...

:wave:

So even non-muslims in Saudi Arabia will have too keep Arab names ?
Nah, only Saudis, sir. :rofl:

But if people realize what the meaning of the names are - which can only be carried out by a bill - people won't pick them.

Anyway, nice talking to you man, keep in touch...

:wave:

Nah, only Saudis, sir.

haha it was like talking to brick wall for me :(
You have no idea what personal freedom means.
I kinda feel sad for you.
But then I am jealous of your petrodollars and the pity goes away :D

Chill dude. . express yourself where it is needed. . Stop wasting your time when your or mine opinion hardly matters :)
You don't understand the real reason behind Indians(some) trying to give importance to the issue....let me make it clear.....

We(I) know very well that our opinion would hardly matter in this case and to speak frankly, we don't care.....to us(me atleast) such incidents give the opportunity to point out their hypocrisy when they comment on similar incidents concerning India or other countries...for ex. few months back, there was an incident about a country(probably an African country) banning few religions(including Islam)...though there were other religions banned too, only Islam got highlighted for obvious reasons and Muslims were ready to wage Jihad against that particular country.....few Saudi were also saying that it's wrong, instead of saying, "their country their rules"......in such cases we can point out how they treat other religions in their own country....
It's all about argument and counterargument buddy....this is a FORUM....that too a Pakistani...

haha it was like talking to brick wall for me :(
You have no idea what personal freedom means.
I kinda feel sad for you.
But then I am jealous of your petrodollars and the pity goes away :D

I respect your opinion, but we don't share the same definition of personnel freedom or feeling sorry for an X or Y person.

India itself is a big-dollar country :lol: We envy you for the tremendous amount of gold you have as well!

You don't understand the real reason behind Indians(some) trying to give importance to the issue....let me make it clear.....

We(I) know very well that our opinion would hardly matter in this case and to speak frankly, we don't care.....to us(me atleast) such incidents give the opportunity to point out their hypocrisy when they comment on similar incidents concerning India or other countries...for ex. few months back, there was an incident about a country(probably an African country) banning few religions(including Islam)...though there were other religions banned too, only Islam got highlighted for obvious reasons and Muslims were ready to wage Jihad against that particular country.....few Saudi were also saying that it's wrong, instead of saying, "their country their rules"......in such cases we can point out how they treat other religions in their own country....
It's all about argument and counterargument buddy....this is a FORUM....that too a Pakistani...

All of us agreed that it is their country, their rules.

The whole news was reported as if it were some sort of declaration of war against Hinduism by KSA, which is pathetic.

But those who feel offended will only get one response and one response only i.e. THAT'S GOOD!

No offence bro. But do you really support the banning of names by Saudi Kingdom? Even if it is Islamic ones? Y do you need to indulge India's name into it. Its an international forum, and anyone can comment on it,

Back
Top Bottom