What's new

Sadda Haq film banned !!

Leader

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Punjabi film 'Sadda Haq', based on the Khalistan movement, banned in Delhi and Haryana

Patiala: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Friday justified the ban on 'Sadda Haq', a Punjabi movie believed to have glorified the Khalistan movement and its leaders, saying the state government was committed to maintain peace and harmony.

"It is our priority to maintain peace and communal harmony in the state... we don't want that the movie should vitiate the communal atmosphere of the state," he told reporters in Patiala after paying homage to Akali stalwart, the late Jathedar Gurcharan Singh Tohra on his 9th death anniversary.

A day before its release, the Chandigarh administration, Punjab and Haryana government banned the film on Thursday as it is understood to have glorified the Khalistan (separate Sikh homeland) movement and its leaders.

The movie is based on events in Punjab during 1980-90s and portrays alleged police torture and other inhuman practices that were reported during that period.

Punjab had witnessed great turbulence during the period in question and many police officers, including Punjab DGP Sumedh Singh Saini, are facing charges for crimes such as torture, murder/extra-judicial killings.

Meanwhile, in Amritsar, radical Sikh outfit Dal Khalsa condemned the Punjab government for banning the film on "frivolous charges" and demanded a rethink on the move.

H S Dhami, the Dal Khalsa chief, alleged that the Akali led Punjab government had suppressed "the right to expression" by banning the film in the state after coming under pressure from the bureaucracy.

Mr Dhami said it was ironic that the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), which had been at the forefront of the fight to get the film cleared by Censor Board, had failed to convince its own Akali government.

"By banning the film, the Punjab government has belittled the SGPC and Sikh institutions," Mr Dhami charged.

He said that instead of serving it as a "lame duck" and helpless leader, SGPC chief Jathedar Avtar Singh Makkar should quit the post in protest against the ban.

Noting that the Censor Board and SGPC had given their go-ahead for the film, Mr Dhami said that those against its screening were driven by a "communal mindset".

He said the song "Baagi", which has generated controversy, is not a part of 'Sadda Haq' and was recorded by Punjabi singer Jazzy B to promote the film.

According to reports, protests were held against the film at Phagwara and Hoshiarpur on Friday.

Following the footsteps of Punjab, the Chandigarh administration and the Haryana government too banned the screening of 'Sadda Haq'.

Kuljinder Sidhu, the producer and lead actor of the movie who was in Chandigarh, termed the ban as "shameful" and a "black spot on democracy".

Referring specifically to the Punjab government, he told PTI that "Instigated by a few anti-social elements, this government got an excuse to ban my movie.

"When the censor board has approved it, and even the SGPC has given a nod, I don't understand this ban."

This (ban) is a decision taken by a few bureaucrats, he added.

Mr Sidhu said he had tried to meet CM Parkash Singh Badal as well Deputy CM Sukhbir Singh Badal, but wasn't given an appointment.

Reiterating that the film had no provoking content and "actually gives out a positive message", he also rued that his point of view had not been heard.

He said that several national and international groups had asking him to take action, "but I have been requesting everyone to maintain peace."

Mr Sidhu said that he was left with no other option than to move the court against the ban.

Meanwhile, the film fraternity had rendered support to Mr Sidhu's right to freedom of expression.

Veteran Punjabi filmmaker Manmohan Singh said, "I have not seen the film, but why the ban when the censor board has cleared it?"

SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar, meanwhile, insisted that the government had taken the decision "from the law and order perspective".

When reminded that he had appointed a five-member panel that saw the film before backing it before the censor board, Mr Makkar argued he himself had not seen the movie.

Punjabi film 'Sadda Haq', based on the Khalistan movement, banned in Delhi and Haryana | NDTV.com

Sikhs don't deserve a country,giving up support for Khalistan was the best decision ever made by Benazir.Im glad to see the Indian govt kicking separatist's ambitions.

Sikhs don't deserve a country,giving up support for Khalistan was the best decision ever made by Benazir.Im glad to see the Indian govt kicking separatist's ambitions.

Was it an intended pun?

Was it an intended pun?

It is my personal view on the Khalistan issue. The last thing i want to see is a Sikh state next door. Our purpose was achieved when we got loads of them killed by their own countrymen by boiling up a non existent imagined state of Khalistan,having their holiest place bombed by their own countrymen and using them to assassinate their own prime minister. They owed us that for killing a huge number of us while migrating.

Khalistan is a dead horse, it always was, it just became apparent when we pulled the plug off it, only thing we lost was the betrayal over Siachen,but that will pan out in time. For now, we did get what we wanted out of that dead horse. I do sincerely hope,that the GOI will mop them up once in a while.

Khalistan Rests in cold storage :coffee:

Paji tuhade nal jo kuch bhi huya wehe badi duk Bari gal hai par yehh sun loo ki harr ekk Indian sikho ke liye badi ache Nazar se dektha hai aur aap hamare veer ho

I don't know much Punjabi

much appreciated brother

ok alot of misconception about the movie here........
the movie is not actually about militant movement........the movie revolves around a hockey player turned to millitant....and 1 more fact u people should know......real brother of actor/producer was turned into a militant and was shot dead in 1992 by police forces in an encounter......so this movie has some emotions or family feelings attached to it.....the movie enlightens about how youth get attracted towards miltancy and the movie is about making youth and people aware that how the terrorist recruited r attracted militants do dirty things ad to tell people that young militants at that time were innocent and they were not that bad they were just drawn into it.............NOw the movie is banned because it had many slogans of those khalistani miltants.....and which may somehow provoke or attract some innocent minds out there and may encourage some to repeat history agin.........i know all this because i live here in punjab and the interview of the producer/actor was there in a local newspaper....:)

oye! saadde naal jo charaasi vich hoya, tera khoon udhe vaaste "boil" nahi hunda?

brother i'm not a sikh but: mere khoon v boil hoya bhut hoya......main v apne ik dost nal is bare discussion kiti c jo k sikh hai.....menu bhut boora lagda hai k apne pavitar punjab di dharti de eh sab hoya par hun apan past nu badal tan ni sakde but eh jaroor pakka kr skde han k kadi idan di durghatna na hove apan punjab nu hor khushal bnavange te kade kise eho jihi ghatna nu dubara nai hon devange :)

It is my personal view on the Khalistan issue. The last thing i want to see is a Sikh state next door. Our purpose was achieved when we got loads of them killed by their own countrymen by boiling up a non existent imagined state of Khalistan,having their holiest place bombed by their own countrymen and using them to assassinate their own prime minister. They owed us that for killing a huge number of us while migrating.

Khalistan is a dead horse, it always was, it just became apparent when we pulled the plug off it, only thing we lost was the betrayal over Siachen,but that will pan out in time. For now, we did get what we wanted out of that dead horse. I do sincerely hope,that the GOI will mop them up once in a while.

Khalistan Rests in cold storage :coffee:

sikhs killed muslims while migrating?

Back
Top Bottom