What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Well well well...look who's made a reappearance after a long long absence

Seen at the Iraqi defence exhibition
The Shafaq project has never been stopped back scene and this exhibition does not surprise me. Iran reserves you surprises and you will understand why they have been talking for years of war secrets ever to show the public

I said it a few times that this project was always walking back scene

I am seeing a clear pattern in Iranian defense projects and production from the 90s. Just like in missiles look where we started and where it has gone.

1) Hwasong-7 Imported in 1990s ... Shahab 1/2 => Shahab 3 developed domestically => Safir SLV/Simorgh SLV and Ghadr-H/Emad-MaRVs => 3 stages TVC SLVs/IRBMs

2) Started with Fateh-110 and Shahroud tested solid stages during the life of Tehrani Moghaddam... Today we have Kheibar Shikan skip glide vehicles and 3 solid staged Sejjil-Salman TVC IRBM

3) Kh-55 Kent reverse engineering => Meshkat developed => Soumar tested => Hoveyzah Long range CM and Abu Mehdi long range AShCM operationalized

Airforce

Project Down/Silk Route 2 upgradation of F-5E/F => Azarakhsh => Saeghe modifications (40-50% local development) => Kowsar with 4th Gen Combat suit (95% local development) => Kowsar-II with probably reduced RSC and 4+ gen combat suite (100 % local development)?

Shafagh => designed by Soviet engineer Fatidin Mukhamedov and Iranian engineers from KN Toosi University, Tehran => Kowsar-88 /Yasin trainer proptoypes = > low RCS advanced trainer with 4+ Generation avionics (probably same as fitted in Kowsar-II).

31wp0l.jpg

:taz:

F-22 Raptor design started in late 1980s. It is meant to fly till 2050-60s. And we know U.S retires it's inventory earlier than other air forces.

From Mig-21 to Mirages to F-4, a lot of dated designs are still flying.

Completely irrelevant. F-22 was designed in 1990’s and flew by 2000’s.

Shafaq never got past a wood mock up in 2000’s. And you want to restart the whole development cycle and deploy it 20 years after it’s scheduled first flight?

F-4, Mig-21 are flying out of necessity not because any Air Force still thinks “hey we really need F-4’s as a part of our fleet”.

Iran’s need is interceptor. Not sure why people keep wanting light class fighters that can at best only be an advance trainer/light CAS role.

Shafaq is dead, move on people.

Completely irrelevant. F-22 was designed in 1990’s and flew by 2000’s.

Shafaq never got past a wood mock up in 2000’s. And you want to restart the whole development cycle and deploy it 20 years after it’s scheduled first flight?

F-4, Mig-21 are flying out of necessity not because any Air Force still thinks “hey we really need F-4’s as a part of our fleet”.

Iran’s need is interceptor. Not sure why people keep wanting light class fighters that can at best only be an advance trainer/light CAS role.

Shafaq is dead, move on people.
Shafaq or not, I think Iran will find it useful to induct single-engine light-weight fighter aircraft in good numbers. It can be used to cover more area for CAPs etc and also less maintenance extensive.

I don't know but developing fighter jets is an expensive journey. Look at Indian Tejas.

Iran would benefit if jointly produces aircraft. Negotiating good ToT terms is vital. Only go for Su-30/35 if you get good ToT else it will become a burden for IRIAF to have a maintenance-heavy large RCS aircraft. And don't go for two platforms, pick one.

For now, in my opinion, J10-C medium-weight aircraft is the best bet for the short to medium term while Iran works in parallel to develop indigenous technologies.

Shafaq or not, I think Iran will find it useful to induct single-engine light-weight fighter aircraft in good numbers. It can be used to cover more area for CAPs etc and also less maintenance extensive.

I don't know but developing fighter jets is an expensive journey. Look at Indian Tejas.

Iran would benefit if jointly produces aircraft. Negotiating good ToT terms is vital. Only go for Su-30/35 if you get good ToT else it will become a burden for IRIAF to have a maintenance-heavy large RCS aircraft. And don't go for two platforms, pick one.

For now, in my opinion, J10-C medium-weight aircraft is the best bet for the short to medium term while Iran works in parallel to develop indigenous technologies.

First of all SU-35 is not “maintenance heavy” if that is what you are implying especially in comparison to Chinese engine in the J-10.

Second Iran can already build or rehaul the F-5 via the Kowsar variant so no need to reinvent the entire wheel for an advanced trainer or light fighter when it already has a production variant ready. Even 24 Yak-130s would be better than another fruitless effort to build ANOTHER light weight fighter.

The main issue for Iran (besides AESA airborne radar and a ultra modern EW/ECW/sensor package) is the engine. Until you have a heavy engine....you are stuck. And no country in the world is turning over heavy engine tech. China had to spend decades mastering their heavy engine and they had the most access as any country in the world to the latest Russian engines and technology via espionage and other means.

So I’m tired of having this same argument every other week.

Until the engine tech is solved there is no future Iranian fighter. And no country semi friendly to Iran is turning over heavy engine tech. Look what India got in SU-30MKI and SU-75 ToT joint production deal....next to nothing.

First of all SU-35 is not “maintenance heavy” if that is what you are implying especially in comparison to Chinese engine in the J-10.

Second Iran can already build or rehaul the F-5 via the Kowsar variant so no need to reinvent the entire wheel for an advanced trainer or light fighter when it already has a production variant ready. Even 24 Yak-130s would be better than another fruitless effort to build ANOTHER light weight fighter.

The main issue for Iran (besides AESA airborne radar and a ultra modern EW/ECW/sensor package) is the engine. Until you have a heavy engine....you are stuck. And no country in the world is turning over heavy engine tech. China had to spend decades mastering their heavy engine and they had the most access as any country in the world to the latest Russian engines and technology via espionage and other means.

So I’m tired of having this same argument every other week.

Until the engine tech is solved there is no future Iranian fighter. And no country semi friendly to Iran is turning over heavy engine tech. Look what India got in SU-30MKI and SU-75 ToT joint production deal....next to nothing.
That's what I scream here for years.

Back
Top Bottom