What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

Light fighters / trainer aircraft Iran can do, however for a modern fighter jet to replace much of the inventory Iran's only viable options seem to be SU-27 flanker variants (SU-30/SU-35) from Russia or J-10 from China. Iran could have purchased JF-17, but the higher ups in the airforce are not interested. The Ukraine conflict has probably made it more likely than ever that Iran will get something sooner or later but we have to wait and see.

Anyways looking at the wars in Ukraine and Nagorno/Karabakh recently and seeing how important UAVs and air defenses are to modern warfare, I'm glad Iran has invested heavily in UAVs and its air defense network. UAvs can always saturate an airspace and make a huge difference but as we've seen with the limited success of the Bayraktar in Ukraine compared to Nagorno/Karabakh, against an adversary with a multi layered and dynamic air defense network, UAVs will only have limited success unless you hundreds or thousands of them.

Ukraine bought approx 4 dozen Bayraktars from Turkey. At $5 each did they get their moneys worth ? I mean yes they did do some damage to Russian troops, especially at the start, but lately we haven't seen much at all from them. It's very likely, based on Russian claims, that most of them have simply been shot down. Oh well that's $250 million down the to1let for Ukraine.

Especially if Ukraine losses access to the ocean after this war, which I believe will last another 3 months approximately, then the country will be bankrupt and basically enslaved to western institutions like the IMF and World Bank. GDP before the war was $150 billion, now it's expected to drop 50% and they have to pay $600 billion to $1 trillion just for rebuilding infrastructure. Add to that the price of weapons and interest and they're basically enslaved for 50+ years.

First of all SU-35 is not “maintenance heavy” if that is what you are implying especially in comparison to Chinese engine in the J-10.

Second Iran can already build or rehaul the F-5 via the Kowsar variant so no need to reinvent the entire wheel for an advanced trainer or light fighter when it already has a production variant ready. Even 24 Yak-130s would be better than another fruitless effort to build ANOTHER light weight fighter.

The main issue for Iran (besides AESA airborne radar and a ultra modern EW/ECW/sensor package) is the engine. Until you have a heavy engine....you are stuck. And no country in the world is turning over heavy engine tech. China had to spend decades mastering their heavy engine and they had the most access as any country in the world to the latest Russian engines and technology via espionage and other means.

So I’m tired of having this same argument every other week.

Until the engine tech is solved there is no future Iranian fighter. And no country semi friendly to Iran is turning over heavy engine tech. Look what India got in SU-30MKI and SU-75 ToT joint production deal....next to nothing.

Last edited:
Shafaq or not, I think Iran will find it useful to induct single-engine light-weight fighter aircraft in good numbers. It can be used to cover more area for CAPs etc and also less maintenance extensive.

I don't know but developing fighter jets is an expensive journey. Look at Indian Tejas.

Iran would benefit if jointly produces aircraft. Negotiating good ToT terms is vital. Only go for Su-30/35 if you get good ToT else it will become a burden for IRIAF to have a maintenance-heavy large RCS aircraft. And don't go for two platforms, pick one.

For now, in my opinion, J10-C medium-weight aircraft is the best bet for the short to medium term while Iran works in parallel to develop indigenous technologies.

It is always nice to research before posting. Iran already produces (from scratch) its own HESA Kowsar-I fighter which is probably the most advanced F-5E/F derivative in the world with a 4.0 Generation combat suit. It is equipped with a local newly built turbojet called OWJ and has a BVR engagement capability up to 93-94 KM (8 x target detection; 2 x simultaneous engagement). If equipped with PL-12 for WVR + R-73E/M (45-60 deg off bore) for WVR combination with HMD, this jet can take on any 4.0 generation fighter jet in the region. The problem of IRIAF is the requirement for a long-range air superiority aerial fighter. Had we acquired some 150+ F-14A instead of 79 we would not have this shortage. So unless we start domestically producing some futuristic version of F-14A or we get Mig-31BM/Su-35S this problem will sustain. We do not need strike aircraft as our missile power (BM and CM) both and UCAV fleet is enormous and combat-proven.

kowsar_5-jpg.816901

1065569_623.jpg

DlH66AJXgAArs8z.jpg

1621944461231-png.747226
DlJFnjiWwAAPCMO

2944798.jpg

Look like Iran-140 project isrevived once again with name of Simorgh...

I'm curious if they could solve the engine and fuel injection problem or not ... i
f yes , then we can hope for vast variety of support aircraft from UAV control flying station , Small AWACS , maritime surveillance aircraft ....

Completely irrelevant. F-22 was designed in 1990’s and flew by 2000’s.

Shafaq never got past a wood mock up in 2000’s. And you want to restart the whole development cycle and deploy it 20 years after it’s scheduled first flight?

F-4, Mig-21 are flying out of necessity not because any Air Force still thinks “hey we really need F-4’s as a part of our fleet”.

Iran’s need is interceptor. Not sure why people keep wanting light class fighters that can at best only be an advance trainer/light CAS role.

Shafaq is dead, move on people.

You can not put a tiny soviet midget like Mig-21 and a heavy mass murderer like F-4E in the same basket. Some versions of F-4E are deadly even today. Israeli Super Phantom project was politically killed to create an export market for F-18.

I am not saying that if you can have the option to purchase Su-35S then abandon it in favor of up-gradation of F-4E/D. My point is, with proper up-gradation of Radar+BVR+Turbofans, long-range AShCM/Land attack CM package, an F-4E is still a massive threat.

Look like Iran-140 project isrevived once again with name of Simorgh...

I'm curious if they could solve the engine and fuel injection problem or not ... i
f yes , then we can hope for vast variety of support aircraft from UAV control flying station , Small AWACS , maritime surveillance aircraft ....

old news, IRan-140 Simorgh AWACS (on lines of EITAM) and OGHAAB maritime petrol have been talked of before multiple times.

You can not put a tiny soviet midget like Mig-21 and a heavy mass murderer like F-4E in the same basket. Some versions of F-4E are deadly even today. Israeli Super Phantom project was politically killed to create an export market for F-18.

I am not saying that if you can have the option to purchase Su-35S then abandon it in favor of up-gradation of F-4E/D. My point is, with proper up-gradation of Radar+BVR+Turbofans, long-range AShCM/Land attack CM package, an F-4E is still a massive threat.

old news, IRan-140 Simorgh AWACS (on lines of EITAM) and OGHAAB maritime petrol have been talked of before multiple times.

The news for 1 hour earlier .... This is prbably new build one ... that why I was courius about engine ... probably they will give more info at official midday NEWS

I always wonder why UK didn't enter regional jet market I mean didn't they share engine blue prints with both USSR and US ?

Iran needs 100s of jets for both civilian and military usage.For military airplanes it would be very hard to work with UK but for civilians co-operation is beneficial for both parties.

China went for American and French engines.
Russia still remains a mystery.
US,France,Canada and Brazil they failed.

It seems valid options are Russia and UK.

Ukraine bought approx 4 dozen Bayraktars from Turkey. At $5 each did they get their moneys worth ? I mean yes they did do some damage to Russian troops, especially at the start, but lately we haven't seen much at all from them. It's very likely based on Russian claims that most of them have simply been shot down. Oh well that's $250 million down the to1let for Ukraine.
TB-2 does not cost $5M a drone. It cost around 1M to 2M. It’s a cheap drone, basically ababil class.

Last edited:
military today and financial times says it's $5 a piece but some sources say $1 million or under $2 million.

TB-2 does not cost $5M a drone. It cost around 1M to 2M. It’s a cheap drone, basically ababil class.

Looks good but once it flies, then I'll be impressed.

Last edited:
military today and financial times says it's $5 a piece but some sources say $1 million or under $2 million.

Looks good but once it flies, then I'll be impressed.

I believe the $1-2M tag. Looking at the drone it’s not very advanced. A propeller engine + a FLIR

def doesn’t cost Turkey $2M to produce that probably 500K-750K depending on which parts are foreign and have to be imported.

Ababil comes in a few different variants but most commonly now used as a loitering munition or for surveillance. The variant Houthis use is a kamikaze drone. The Ababil-3 is only used for surveillance and it can only cover 100km round trip and spend a few hours in the air. I believe Iran has a few of them left over and only uses them for low priority surveillance, like on the border with Afghanistan.

I think the TB2 is more comparable to the Mohajer-6 as a medium sized UAV.

Ababil comes in a few different variants but most commonly now used as a loitering munition or for surveillance. The variant Houthis use is a kamikaze drone. The Ababil-3 is only used for surveillance and it can only cover 100km round trip and spend a few hours in the air. I believe Iran has a few of them left over and only uses them for low priority surveillance, like on the border with Afghanistan.

I think the TB2 is more comparable to the Mohajer-6 as a medium sized UAV.

Ababil-5 can carry just as much armaments as TB2 maybe more

6 figure PGM layout

1652970282903.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom