What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

how about BMs?
can is it possible to use ballistic missiles they currently own for such a task? do they have enough of them?

also, can we deploy passive air defence systems around these locations? if yes, i think the problem wil become even bigger for them. since there will be no signals emitted..
Not for awhile. We just barely started developing them since INF withdraw last year. Give at least 10 years. USAF plans to put some hypersonic weapons on B-1s and B-52s. U.S. Navy plans to put some on the destroyers possibly even the Zumwalt class. U.S. Army plans to extend the range of the current MLRS platforms to shoot missiles that were originally 499km to 800km. And also developing their own IRBMs with about 4,000km range to 5,000 range. Also developing hypersonic missile.

what is this it ? looks like 122mm racket but im not sure, why would a aerospace company unveil such unimportant project ? it doesn't add up

1608743851793.png

what is this it ? looks like 122mm racket but im not sure, why would a aerospace company unveil such unimportant project ? it doesn't add up

View attachment 699307
Whatever it is I dont think its a rocket,for a start you have those 2 small sets of "fins" which frankly with those swept back tips look more like some kind of rotor system,not to mention the tapering end cap on the back of the thing.
One possibility that comes to mind would be a towed self powered decoy for a drone or aircraft

Whatever it is I dont think its a rocket,for a start you have those 2 small sets of "fins" which frankly with those swept back tips look more like some kind of rotor system,not to mention the tapering end cap on the back of the thing.
One possibility that comes to mind would be a towed self powered decoy for a drone or aircraft
either that or its the start project of missile 358 maybe a missile with some kind of air defense role in mind
it looks like it uses those 2 sets of ... wings (?) as a propeller? it could be a slow missile using electric engines?
yes 2 sets of wings i suspect the back one could be a buster ? the back section looks more like a buster of some kind

Interesting video of a saudi ch-4b drone being shot down over yemen by an unknown weapon......possibly a 358 nlos type?,certainly whatever it is appears to be moving relatively slowly and also has a warhead judging by the explosion.If so this would likely be the first recorded shoot down of a drone by another drone or drone type weapon under actual combat conditions.

A very interesting article about the threat of irans missiles by the founding director of the israeli missile defence organisation,uzi rubin

https://besacenter.org/perspectives-papers/israel-precision-guided-missiles/
PDF Version

This is really wrong !! Iran won the war in Operation Mersad and it bowed its knees to Iraq. That's a big lie in the article
Yes,I`d ignore rubbish like that,

What I did find very ironic is that he seemingly completely overlooks the fact that it was the iraqis use of ballistic missiles in an increasingly desperate attempt to bring the war to the iranian capital,that lead iran to at first simply just acquire/purchase scuds of its own so as to have ballistic missiles that it could shoot back at the iraqis with,but this would then ultimately lead to the creation of the modern day iranian ballistic missile forces that are effectively the basis for irans regional deterrent power.

This does pose an extremely interesting question tho,Would iran still have gone down the ballistic missile route if the iraqis had decided not to initiate the war of the cities?,or was it simply always virtually inevitable that iran would`ve had no real choice but to turn to missile power in some form at some point in time during the last 40 years?

Oupsssss

I have expressed myself wrongly , I wanted to say :

This is really wrong !! Iran won the war in Operation Mersad, and Iraq bowed its knees to Iran. That's a big lie in the article

This does pose an extremely interesting question tho,Would iran still have gone down the ballistic missile route if the iraqis had decided not to initiate the war of the cities?,or was it simply always virtually inevitable that iran would`ve had no real choice but to turn to missile power in some form at some point in time during the last 40 years?
Very interesting point! I always speculate on alternate history/timeline scenarios but never thought about Iran's missiles in any other way.
I would say there is a very good chance that Iran would not have nearly as many missiles or any at all were it not for the imposed war experiences. Many inside the country would have opposed from a military philosophy that they are not capable enough without nukes, etc I'm sure they probably would have picked up some when Russia was offering them $70k a pop in the early 90s but that would have been the extent of them with little upgrades.
One could argue that if Iran was ever serious about nuclear capability that they would need missiles either way, but I still don't believe the missile would be as good or the program as extensive, were it not for the direct causes from the imposed war, regardless of nuclear program or not.

These posts need to be here:

The story I read a decade ago and as I remember today. The story was told in writings by a person who was there and printed in an Iranian news paper. My memory is foggy but I remember the highlights.

Before the start of Iran-Iraq war, Soviet Union had provided the Shah of Iran with a single functional SCUD missile as a gift…This was to persuade Shah to buy Soviet weapons (late 1970’s). Iran’s military strategy was based on “air power” as proscribed by the Americans …The ground to ground missile had no place in Iranian strategy and as a result this single SCUD missile was long forgotten and never made operational . The SCUS was stored in an underground facility run by the Americans.

Shortly after Saddam starts dropping SCUD missiles on Iranian cities. The Iranian military gathers a group of university (professors or students!!) and also few others . They are transported over nite in a plane and trucks to a mountainous site in Western Iran.

They arrive and are briefed. The SCUD is inside a cave and no one knows how to operate the monster. All they have are few manuals and schematics all in Russian…The person who is telling the story goes on in detail describing how in few days or few weeks (do not remember) they had to translate and pour through Russian manuals and schematics. They had heated arguments (sounds familiar!!lol) about what each dial or circuit is doing..How to Fuel the beast and how to program it and how to orient its gyros and how to fire the beast….An additional issue was how to get it out of the cave. Missile was placed on its tracked wagon (TEL) inside a one way cave. The main entrance/exit to the cave was blocked by a giant blast door…The blast door control was sabotaged by the Americans before they left the placed and stuck in a Shut position…They did not know how to open the door to get the missile and its carrier out.

Again after many details the story teller say that by the grace of God and many days of work they managed to figure out how to fix the blast door and open the damn thing. They drive the beast and the fuel truck and bring them out in the open. Again they had many arguments about the setting up of the control panel knobs and Gyro setting and fuel valves and pumps and knobs etc....but they finally compromise and set up the missile for Baghdad…. they were ready.

They erect the missile and are ready to fire the beast .Thinking it will explode on its launcher or at best it will fly for few minutes and drop in the desert… they fired…It roared like a giant dragon and made lots of smoke and fire, but it flew away… Happy that they managed to fire and thinking it will safely drop or run out of fuel in the desert, they go back to the compound and sleep.

The next day …...News reports arrive that an Iranian SCUD missile hits the tallest building In Baghdad identified as the headquarters of the biggest Iraq bank in a Bulls eyes manner.

I remember that day when the news came in all western news orgs…I saw even a photo. So I knew the end was real…I just did not know the story behind it…

Imagine the most inaccurate missile of the soviets with CEP of may be a kilometer being stored for many years, fired by a bunch of university students reading dictionary translated Russian manuals finds its way to record the most accurate hit of missile war between Iran and Iraq This made Iran to go the way of missiles. And then Tehrani Moghadam came back from Syria and made Iran world’s 4th missile power in the world…

”May the FORCE be with you”…and this how I became a believer.
I remember this story and the pictures posted here, though the pictures posted with the story are not the same as the montage I saw years earlier where they are pouring the fuel in by buckets.

Attachments

• 1601113059736.png
    1601113059736.png
    424.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1601113075641.png
    1601113075641.png
    746.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 1601113118566.png
    1601113118566.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom