What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

With the release of Solemani missile and eventual HGV variant, this will make all missiles from Shahab-1 up to Ghadr variant obsolete as well as earlier Fatah missiles up to F-313 generation also obsolete. With the release of Solemani missile, it remains to be seen if Sejill-2 will remain in production (i suspect production was stopped long ago).

In future: Iranian long range BMs will be Khorramshar-2, and Solemani 1 & 2 missile

In Fateh family: Only Dezful/Zolfghar variants may continue to be produced along with the anti ship, anti radiation variants.

Missiles to be discontinued (if not all already):
Shahab 1-3
Ghadr
Qiam
Fateh-110A thru F-313 generations

I suspect many older missiles will be either cannibalizes for parts (space program and other missiles) and the most valuable will Kept and be moved into deep storage for war time. Some will be used in war games and testing. Others have been transferred to HZ or destroyed in Syria.

Liquids can be stored for a very long time. But soon the first Fateh missiles will be reach the edge of their shelf life anyway. I suspect the oldest Fateh missiles were transferred to HZ during the Syrian civil war. If they got destroyed by Israeli air strikes it wouldn’t matter much to Iran either way as they were obsolete and were going to be discarded sooner or later.

did they say 3 were killed ?

As the US-led coalition is going to leave Taji air base Iraq, Pro militia/IRGC telegram channels are circulating pictures of the three coalition members who were killed in mid March rocket attack on Taji

1598118882215.png

With the release of Solemani missile and eventual HGV variant, this will make all missiles from Shahab-1 up to Ghadr variant obsolete as well as earlier Fatah missiles up to F-313 generation also obsolete.

I hope with that with obsolete you don't mean redundant.

In future: Iranian long range BMs will be Khorramshar-2, and Solemani 1 & 2 missile
Near and mid-term future: No

I suspect many older missiles will be either cannibalizes for parts (space program and other missiles) and the most valuable will Kept and be moved into deep storage for war time.

There is very little other use for parts that where specifically made for a certain purpose. Even the liquid fuel engines of the Shahab-1,2,3/Ghadr/Qiam will serve little purpose in any SLV because of the progress in solid-fuel technology.

I hope with that with obsolete you don't mean redundant.

Near and mid-term future: No

There is very little other use for parts that where specifically made for a certain purpose. Even the liquid fuel engines of the Shahab-1,2,3/Ghadr/Qiam will serve little purpose in any SLV because of the progress in solid-fuel technology.

Newer generations are more accurate and use more updated technology. Pre 2012 Iran was focused on quantity and newer missiles while post 2012 Iran was focused on accuracy of existing platforms as declared by Iran’s SL.

Yes, future will be to rely on Khorramshar to provide bulk power across long ranges with its massive warhead(s). Solemani variant will be upgraded to 1800KM and if HGV is made (I believe so) it will boost the missile to 2000KM+ from Skipping and gliding in upper atmosphere as a quasi BM. Solemani missile as a solid fuel has much more advantages over its Liquid fuel rival.

You are wrong on SLV not needing liquid engines as Iran’s Government Space Program uses liquid fuel engines. IRGC space program uses solid fuel engines. You should learn this important difference.

The Qiam has a important role for Iran: It is the workhorse of regional tactical airpower's airbase operation denial.

It has strategic lifetime, is cheap and small.

Maybe the most favorite missile of IRGC-ASF.

Its liquid fuel, TEL based, exposes crew to air strikes or harmful fueling process, takes longer to fire allowing satellites to pick up, higher failure rate during flight. Advantage is the long shelf life as you alluded to.

As we have seen Iran is taking steps to reduce need for TELS and large trained crews.

In future as Iranian costs on existing solid fuel platforms drop, it makes greater sense to eliminate liquid fuel production missiles in same category.

But you maybe right they might keep Qiam or or sell missile to other militaries in future as a revenue generation channel.

Its liquid fuel, TEL based, exposes crew to air strikes or harmful fueling process, takes longer to fire allowing satellites to pick up, higher failure rate during flight. Advantage is the long shelf life as you alluded to.

As we have seen Iran is taking steps to reduce need for TELS and large trained crews.

In future as Iranian costs on existing solid fuel platforms drop, it makes greater sense to eliminate liquid fuel production missiles in same category.

But you maybe right they might keep Qiam or or sell missile to other militaries in future as a revenue generation channel.

You are right about the high training requirements and dangerous liquid fuel of the Qiam.

As said it is the IRGC-ASF payload workhorse, those mountain superbases with cavern launch method will throw them out every 30 minutes from each cavern.
TELs would operate if the enemy has lost its reach to threaten them or IADS is fully intact.

You build a Qiam and you have a payload delivery system for 100+ years.

Weapon lifecylce costs are very important to Iran.

Qiam will remain.

You are right about the high training requirements and dangerous liquid fuel of the Qiam.

As said it is the IRGC-ASF payload workhorse, those mountain superbases with cavern launch method will throw them out every 30 minutes from each cavern.
TELs would operate if the enemy has lost its reach to threaten them or IADS is fully intact.

You build a Qiam and you have a payload delivery system for 100+ years.

Weapon lifecylce costs are very important to Iran.

Qiam will remain.

You are right about the mountain base, but it is not an invulnerable fortress. It needs exhaust vents to release harmful fumes and those vents are exposed as well as the auxiliary systems that supply air/power into the bases. Iran is not the first country to build mountain based silos.

As you alluded to Qiam is as valuable as long as it’s air defense systems can hold up. Unrealistic to expect the current Iranian air defense network to be able to hold against 300+ aircraft and thousands of cruise missiles. Pockets may survive but overall shield will fall. Maybe future is different. Thus speed and fire rate preparation time becomes critical.

Space that Qiam takes up can be filled by a future Iranian missile that can carry multiple warheads or MIRVs wether liquid or solid thus expanding the firepower per missile.

I believe current Qiam supply built since at least 2010 is sufficient enough for IRGC needs.

I believe next step for Iranian missiles is once accuracy has been improved to its realistic limits will be to build missiles with more powerful engines that can carry much higher payloads (MARVs and MIRVs). We already see that with Khorramshar family to (eventually) replace Shahab-3 family.

You are right about the mountain base, but it is not an invulnerable fortress. It needs exhaust vents to release harmful fumes and those vents are exposed as well as the auxiliary systems that supply air/power into the bases. Iran is not the first country to build mountain based silos.

As you alluded to Qiam is as valuable as long as it’s air defense systems can hold up. Unrealistic to expect the current Iranian air defense network to be able to hold against 300+ aircraft and thousands of cruise missiles. Pockets may survive but overall shield will fall. Maybe future is different. Thus speed and fire rate preparation time becomes critical.

Space that Qiam takes up can be filled by a future Iranian missile that can carry multiple warheads or MIRVs wether liquid or solid thus expanding the firepower per missile.

I believe current Qiam supply built since at least 2010 is sufficient enough for IRGC needs.

I believe next step for Iranian missiles is once accuracy has been improved to its realistic limits will be to build missiles with more powerful engines that can carry much higher payloads (MARVs and MIRVs). We already see that with Khorramshar family to (eventually) replace Shahab-3 family.

Iran is about the only country that went the lengths and expanses of a cavern launch concept (most survivable land concept known).
- Airpower will instantly be reduced due to Iranian BM airbase operation denial. In many areas to a level which IADS can handle.
-CMs are unsuitable to hunt TELs and the U.S has fewer ready to launch than many think.

But I agree, Qiam production was massive and will reach its end. Possible that only heavy haul BM like the Khorramshahr or a heavy ICBM will remain in the liquid division in the future.

@AmirPatriot , I saw you had trouble posting a thread about the upcoming Defense Industries Day on twitter. I'm sure we don't mind if you post your findings here on this forum.

Maybe we should all tag @AmirPatriot to share his findings with us!

Hi Triangle. I'm currently working on including my analysis of everything important from DID in a blog post. I'll post the link in the forum when it's finished.

Back
Top Bottom