What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

1200km for a Scud variant is a huge jump. Borkan-3 is Qiam based and hence already much improved from the Scud

How was a jump from the 850km Qiam (first version 700km) achieved?

Via two changes if you ask me: The missile is visibly ~1,5m elongated.
The warhead has likely been reduced from 650kg down to something around 300-400kg.

The first method creates only minor negative CoG shift.
But a warhead as light would cause the same problem longer ranged Iraqi Scud modifications experienced CoG caused instability.
One method to avoid that would be a instant separation of the warhead as thrust is terminated.
This is not a easy task with the Scud. It requires testing, skill and likely additional subsystems like a retro-rocket system.

So building a Borkan-3 is absolutely not a easy task. The elongated Iraqi Scuds also had 300-400kg warheads but little more only half the range. Achieving 100%-80% higher performance on a BM using the same motor speaks volumes about the level Iranian missile optimization has reached by now.
Switching to aluminum alloy instead of Original Soviet steel design enabled the Shahab-2 and North Korean -C variant. Further optimization lead to Qiam, North Koreans went for elongation that lead to -D variant.
But only the already optimized Qiam design + elongation + reduced (and CoG stabile) warhead, allowed to create the 1200km Borkan-3.
Now all Saudi oil infrastructure is at risk by basically modifying a North Korean Scud-C.

Proof?

Satellite imagery?
137427998_188032461abbef.jpg

Now they claim it was a flash flood

I’m sorry this doesn’t look like a military base in any sense. It looks like a junkyard.

No perimeter, no geometric outline, no defenses, no segregation. Random (tents?) everywhere.

Houthis wasted a Missile on this?

And what they were training in those tents? Camels?!

No professional military on Earth, has such a disarray military base. The tents are all over the place with no rhyme or reason let alone in a vertical order.

It looks a garbage dump.

Show me an actual military base. Not nonsense pictures of desert dweller camps.

No professional military on Earth, has such a disarray military base. The tents are all over the place with no rhyme or reason let alone in a vertical order.

It looks a garbage dump.

Show me an actual military base. Not nonsense pictures of desert dweller camps.
Well that's not a professional military base . it's a cannon fodder training base . they wont care about them they are just low quality mercenaries to increase the numbers .

The CEP value for the MaRV-Qiam still puzzles me...
Hajizadeh said years ago that they managed to bring CEP down to <10m.
However I always thought he talks about the Khalije Fars or later the Hormoz series or a year ago the Fateh Mobin.

The Fateh-G2 shots against Kurdish seperstist targets would be a peace-time secondary GPS guidance channel.

Then we saw the hit by the Khorramshahr-2, which could have been a lucky 50m CEP shot.

But now showing the MaRV-Qiam with a claimed CEP of 10m is a complete technological shock.
Best and most expensive U.S. 80's cold war technology used an active radar seeker and still only managed >30m.
Trident II, maybe the best ICBM in the world manages 130m at intercontinental range.

I tried to describe all of this in my two previous posts here.

I have reached a explanation for now: The Qiam was a revolutionary breakthrough for Iran and for a good reason it was one of the projects of Shahid Tehrani Moghaddam, a liquid one.
The reason it had no fins was that Iran had managed to produce a very precise INS, likely with a state of the art MEMS based accelerometer and new high precision IFOG gyroscopes. All in a cost effective strap-down configuration.
The resulting system was sensitive and stabile enough to avoid the use of fins on such a light missile.
But the real advantage was that this was the masterpiece of an affordable INS that managed to remain stabile for 1,5 minutes. Those 1,5 minutes would be enough to get the Qiam into space on the right +- 1-5m trajectory, without any physical force other than gravitation affecting it.
The CEP for this Qiam-1 only increased due to boost termination delay and the re-entry phase, getting it into the 130-150m CEP range.
The MaRVed Qiam changed this: The same accelerometer technology that made the Qiam INS so precise was now improved to endure the high G forces occurring during re-entry.
Boost termination error correction and primary: wind-correction system, then enables those accelerometers to correct the 130m error to just 10m.

I thought about astro-nav for the Khorramshahr-2 as a more expensive long range system, in which it would easily fit. But then realized that this system makes primarily sense for a MARV-bus that operates for several minutes. Without MARV-bus, it has nowhere been demonstrated but could be possible that the Iranian INS is precise enough to enable such a results.
The only other option, would be the easy, fragile route: GPS. Here I'm confident enough that it is not used as primary navigation system.
Even Irans wind corrected Zelzal-2 variant Raad 307, as a cheap low-priority system still uses an accelerometer based internal system as primary guidance.

The stress on the MaRV guidance system increases as range goes up: Khorramshahr-2 likely already has its accelerometers be exposed to tens of Gs.
Now the same Qiam based MaRV is re-equipped for the Ghadr and Shahab-3 series, which likely would have the same 10m CEP.

Last edited:
The CEP value for the MaRV-Qiam still puzzles me...
Hajizadeh said years ago that they managed to bring CEP down to <10m.
However I always thought he talks about the Khalije Fars or later the Hormoz series or a year ago the Fateh Mobin.

The Fateh-G2 shots against Kurdish seperstist targets would be a peace-time secondary GPS guidance channel.

Then we saw the hit by the Khorramshahr-2, which could have been a lucky 50m CEP shot.

But now showing the MaRV-Qiam with a claimed CEP of 10m is a complete technological shock.
Best and most expensive U.S. 80's cold war technology used an active radar seeker and still only managed >30m.
Trident II, maybe the best ICBM in the world manages 130m at intercontinental range.

I tried to describe all of this in my two previous posts here.

I have reached a explanation for now: The Qiam was a revolutionary breakthrough for Iran and for a good reason it was one of the projects of Shahid Tehrani Moghaddam, a liquid one.
The reason it had no fins was that Iran had managed to produce a very precise INS, likely with a state of the art MEMS based accelerometer and new high precision IFOG gyroscopes. All in a cost effective strap-down configuration.
The resulting system was sensitive and stabile enough to avoid the use of fins on such a light missile.
But the real advantage was that this was the masterpiece of an affordable INS that managed to remain stabile for 1,5 minutes. Those 1,5 minutes would be enough to get the Qiam into space on the right +- 1-5m trajectory, without any physical force other than gravitation affecting it.
The CEP for this Qiam-1 only increased due to boost termination delay and the re-entry phase, getting it into the 130-150m CEP range.
The MaRVed Qiam changed this: The same accelerometer technology that made the Qiam INS so precise was now improved to endure the high G forces occurring during re-entry.
Boost termination error correction and primary: wind-correction system, then enables those accelerometers to correct the 130m error to just 10m.

I thought about astro-nav for the Khorramshahr-2 as a more expensive long range system, in which it would easily fit. But then realized that this system makes primarily sense for a MARV-bus that operates for several minutes. Without MARV-bus, it has nowhere been demonstrated but could be possible that the Iranian INS is precise enough to enable such a results.
The only other option, would be the easy, fragile route: GPS. Here I'm confident enough that it is not used as primary navigation system.
Even Irans wind corrected Zelzal-2 variant Raad 307, as a cheap low-priority system still uses an accelerometer based internal system as primary guidance.

The stress on the MaRV guidance system increases as range goes up: Khorramshahr-2 likely already has its accelerometers be exposed to tens of Gs.
Now the same Qiam based MaRV is re-equipped for the Ghadr and Shahab-3 series, which likely would have the same 10m CEP.

Have you thought maybe just maybe, they don’t have 10m CEP?

Also comparing Iran’s conventional warheads to Trident II is apples to oranges. When an ICBM is carrying a nuclear warhead, then CEP <250m is sufficient. The warhead could land 1KM off target and still annihilate the target.

So Nuclear powers don’t need pinpoint accuracy for their BM arsenal.

I don’t think any of Iran’s MRBMs have 10M CEP, I think CEP is still 25m-100M without GPS assist.

Fateh derivatives with active seekers (ex Mobin) Maybe able to achieve <25M.

1200km for a Scud variant is a huge jump. Borkan-3 is Qiam based and hence already much improved from the Scud

How was a jump from the 850km Qiam (first version 700km) achieved?
You assume a claimed value is correct, and you start to justify it, which is a very weird approach. Also, please remember they have started putting the fins back, but smaller ones.

Have you thought maybe just maybe, they don’t have 10m CEP?

Also comparing Iran’s conventional warheads to Trident II is apples to oranges. When an ICBM is carrying a nuclear warhead, then CEP <250m is sufficient. The warhead could land 1KM off target and still annihilate the target.

So Nuclear powers don’t need pinpoint accuracy for their BM arsenal.

I don’t think any of Iran’s MRBMs have 10M CEP, I think CEP is still 25m-100M without GPS assist.

Fateh derivatives with active seekers (ex Mobin) Maybe able to achieve <25M.

Iran uses Land based Positioning System. The start in the early 2000 for scientific purpose and in 2016 they go for a military LPS. So CEP of 10 m should be possible in the middle east (not greater east) for Iran.

https://www.geospatialworld.net/article/iranian-permanent-gps-network-strategy-and-processing/

https://rntfnd.org/2016/06/03/iran-developing-homegrown-alternative-to-gps-probably-loran/

Back
Top Bottom