What's new

Iranian Missiles | News and Discussions

NK ICBMs are powered by RD-250 Russian clone engines with a 90 ton mark.

Yes i know. I was referring to north korean pukguksong-1 and 2 missiles which are SRBMs.

By the way the thrust of RD-250 is around the 80 ton mark.

If true then why would the north koreans invest in testing/production infrastructure for solid fuel missles? They could just import ready built missiles/components from iran...

That would not work with North Koreans, same as Iranians they want to master such capabilities not just buy them.
Point is that their testing and infrastructure does not look like extensive enough to make such a jump on their own. Plus they have to pay for a massive liquid program...

I would not be surprised if NK had been working on its pukguksong-1/pukguksong 2 SLBM/SRBM for a long time secretly and because of the fast pace of NK missile testing in recent years it just seems to us outsiders to be a "unnatural leap".

They certainly have. But some key technologies would have been transferred. North Koreans would probably never just take a whole Iranian missile design. They take key subystems which need a massive amount of research to master.
I'm not saying they certainly got it from Iran.

For measure indian SLV of 80s had 9 ton solid motor as first stage and that was developed at a time when india had no prior experience with large solid motors so it is not out of the realm of possibility that NK managed to pull off a similar feat with these new solid fuel missiles of theirs.

India is a different thing. India has massive amounts of engineers working and studying all around the world.
They had their jump due to foreign technology (but steal a huge achievement that early in time) and it took 10-15 years until the developed the other key technologies needed to turn that SLV into a robust missile system. So they reached a serious level at the end of the 90's rather.
Iran and North Korea are tightly controlled to avoid getting any missile related technology. India even gets tech. transfer deals to remain a credible threat to China.
India capability is indigenous and at high level today but don't compare it to North Korea development path. North Korea is best compared to Iran, tightly controlled from obtaining critical technologies from abroad.

Iran is, as seen per above post, working on a ~90t engine which needs a TVC technology that would fulfill the requirements. That testing is visible and started at least in 2016. So if Iran develops an ICBM tomorrow it makes sense they really tried hard to solve the booster casing and TVC critical technologies for a few years now. But if North Korea tests a solid fuel ICBM tomorrow... it would be suspicious.

At least they are smart now and doing engine tests far away in crater on a mountain range. If the engine explodes it will not jeopardize anything around it.

Plus how is 2016 & 2017 considered “recent”. 2-3 years is a considerable amount of time.

It’s clear these programs are after the Supreme Leader is gone. IRGC military plans are on the basis of 10, 25, and 50 years.

This 2000KM limit is a political limit that will be broken by IRGC when the time is right.

Though don’t expect to see mass produced ICBMs. These missiles are to be the future of an Iranian nuclear deterrent.

Iran is waiting for Saudi Arabia or Turkey to go nuclear to provide that pretext.

well 2_3 years dose not matter when the engines that we are talking about are the same engines

yes 2000 km range is a joke just for EU it means noting more.

no one knows what Iran is up to these days they very well could go for mass production if they think its absolute necessity, but in general i agree.

Interesting picture of one of the single missile fateh tels now with 4 axles just like the twin missile tel,probably to allow for the length increases in the zulfiqar and dezful.
2495599_1000.jpg

Interesting picture of one of the single missile fateh tels now with 4 axles just like the twin missile tel,probably to allow for the length increases in the zulfiqar and dezful.
2495599_1000.jpg
well you are right as that missile is indeed Dezful missile with 1000 KM range . alot bigger then Zolfaghar missile.

zolfaghar

Dnt1TA4W0AAWsGF.jpg

The little wonder with the Dezful is that it has the almost the same size as the Zolfagar with the same explosive power against soft targets as the Zolfaghar.

The Zolfaghar in turn is also a little wonder, it's just 25-30% heavier than the Fatah series while having more than twice the range.

Dezful can achieve that via optimization and a FAE warhead.

The little wonder with the Dezful is that it has the almost the same size as the Zolfagar with the same explosive power against soft targets as the Zolfaghar.

The Zolfaghar in turn is also a little wonder, it's just 25-30% heavier than the Fatah series while having more than twice the range.

Dezful can achieve that via optimization and a FAE warhead.

@PeeD Are Dezful and Zolfaghar single or double stage missiles?

They have a separating "MaRV" which actually is not re-entering as it remains within the edge of the atmosphere. One can call it a hypersonic weapon if desired.

Since you brought it up, what would be a good platform for Iran to develop its hypersonic missiles? I think an early to use air launched system such as Kinzhal is not an option for Iran as I do not believe we have a platform to launch such a heavy missile. I was thinking if we had a the platform, maybe a modified Fateh based system could give us a battlefield ready hypersonic air to surface system.

The Dezful and Zolfaghars can already be called hypersonic weapons, their speed is mach 8-10.

However real hypersonic weapons add to that extensive thermal shielding for body-lift effect as well as lower altitudes and somewhat higher terminal speeds. Plus they aim to have a ram- or screamjet to enable sustained body lifting/gliding.
The ultimate goal are higher range/payload capabilities by lifting body "wave riding" than a ideal ballistic trajectory would allow. The Russian Rubezh project with Avangard HGV has the potential to enable a extremely compact ICBM.
A <20 ton, 10m long depressed trajectory HGV ICBM would be a nightmare to track or kill, launcher and HGV.

It does not look like gliding plays a notable role in the Dezful cruise phase for achieving 1000km but one can imagine that the next system of the family may does gliding to achieve even higher range or allow for heavier payload.
I'm quite certain that the Zolfaghar/Dezful platform may further grow to get a real HGV. It will likely avoid having a screamjet sustainer.
After that of course up scaling it to a ultra-compact ICBM ranged weapon would be the final goal.

guys it may look like an irrelevant issue but is there any possibility to use aerogel as a heat insulator (in a possible hyper sonic low flying missile)??

800px-Aerogelflower_filtered.jpg

also aerogel has a powerful structure meaning it can (possibly) resist against pressure (if used as a heat shield):

Aerogelbrick.jpg

also i think it has some uses in making plane structure to strengthening honeycomb sandwiches and by that drastically decreasing the empty weight and resulting in better thrust/weight ratio, combat radius and max payload weight.
our scientists should really look at it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerogel

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom