What's new

Indian food-- Best in the world

Slightly off the topic, most Pakistani restaurants I see in the west advertise themselves as "Pakistani and Indian cuisine". Why is this so? To attract more customers?

yea pretty much
in nyc they even include bangladeshi in it too

yea pretty much
in nyc they even include bangladeshi in it too

If I someday open a Restaurant, I'd make it "Strictly" Pakistani. And I wouldn't remove my uniform no matter how much foreign pressure I receive. :police:

I think Qubooli and Kabuli pulao are different.

Theres an Afghani restaurant I frequent which makes it with a little bit of mixed vegetables (very very very tender) and then lays a piece of very tender meat (mutton or chicken).

It's served with... LASSI! They call it Dogh. You can either drink it or pour it on to your Kabuli, either way its good. The lassy has lots of stuff in it.

I know Kabuli Pulao but it doesn't qualify as Indian food whereas Qubooli Pulao does.

Kabuli Pulao quite a popular among the Pathans, there are several ways to make it.
Here's one recipe:

2 cups basmati rice
2 cups mutton broth
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots, diced
1 cup grated carrot
1 cup shelled pistachios
1 cup cauliflower flowerets, cooked
1 cup peas
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cardamon
1 lb. stewing mutton

Stew the mutton ahead of time, preserving two cups of the broth. Refrigerate the mutton pieces.

Grease a casserole dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Saute nuts, carrots and cauliflower in 1 tbsp of butter, stirring often, until lightly cooked.

Make the rice using the broth to substitute for 2 cups of the water required. When the rice is almost done, add the other ingredients, including the remaining tbsp of butter, except for the mutton pieces, and cook five more minutes. Add mutton and pour into large greased casserole or dutch oven and bake 10-15 minutes, covered. If rice is too dry add 1/4 cup water or mutton broth before baking. Serve with Afghan bread or pita bread and cucumber yogurt salad.

Anybody here heard bout Puttu - Kadala Combination? or Pazhamporii??? The latter is heard to get if u are out of Kerala.
Try puttu - kadala with papadam and sugar.... its tasty..:enjoy:
Wht about 'appam' with mutton, chicke or beef stew...:cheers: i love that combination.
And just for the malayalees here...;) how about the combination between 'aluva' and meat curry:rofl:

Aren't cows sacred in India?.
Cows are sacred to hindus. But most of the malayalee hindus eat beef. I know even some malayalee bhramins eating beef. Its not a big issue in kerala.

well ppl, anybody has ever heard about KUNNA:woot:?..I mean its a special chiniotee dish....though I dont know the recipe but it tastes good
Any 'mallu' reading this...:rofl:

Do you guys have Shami kabab in India?

Its a Pakistani dish made out of beef.

Can you eat beef in India, or is it against the law to slaughter cow?
Its banned by law in some states. Mostly Muslims prefer not to offend Indians by limiting cow slaughter just as they did this Eid ul Adha.

Nothing will happen ..You can see some shope with beef items at road side ..
You know beef is very cheap in india compare d to chicken or mutton ..something like 30 to 40 rs per kg..Actually there are no beef forms here in India ..Usually hindus are the one who raise cattle for milk..In the end it serves as meat for muslims..It may seem odd but it is the truth..hundreds of years of co existence has made all these changes ..But killing a cattle in public place is not imaginable and hurts hindu sentiments..On the whole hindus have accepted the reality long back and India is a secular country..Who can dictate someone what to eat and what not...:wave::wave:
There are some Hindus who end up craving Beef, simply because of the restrictions placed upon it. Some of my school mates used to come over and bug my mom to serve something in beef. When we'd be in Pizza Hut, they'd want anything with Beef.

Any of you guys tried making Haleem? It's one of the toughest to make, its got so much stirring involved. I always cheat and grind it after I'm through stirring half way around.

The trick is to stir it for a while when it begins to look haleemy but you can still pretty much see the daal pieces, take half of the stock and put it in a chopper/grinder. Then pour the half back in and stir some more and it will give the perfect haleem effect.

I like Haleem with Chicken instead of mutton or beef.

I like Haleem with Chicken instead of mutton or beef.

Eating a chicken haleem would be like eating a Chicken Nihari. It JUST doesn't make sense :P Some thing's should be left unaltered ;)

Ok now for the best shawermas I've eaten

This is not a ranking, since I believe Shawermas should not be ranked as each shawera is unique in its own way. But these three are worth mentioning:

1. Arbi Chicken (UAE)
This is essentially getting to be known as Arabic Shawerma in the UAE. The bread is not Khubz, its a thinner bread, which is first smeared with special turkish Thoom (oh the restaurant is mainly run by Turkish people). Then the meat is wrapped with the bread. You have an option of a big or a small shawerma. The big shawerma is whats called an Arabic Shawerma, its about one foot in size. Ok back to the recipe. The wrap is then dipped slightly into the meat drippings on the bottom of the tray and laid on a flag grill and a wooden weight is put on top to put pressure on the entire wrap. This process kind of toasts the bread, and you end up with a shawerma which is crispy on the outside and soft and yummy on the inside.

Since the big shawerma is so big, you have option of cutting it down, but I prefer to have it uncut.

Price:
Small: 4 dh. Big 12 dh.

Big ups! The shop is open 24 hours! I think it only closes a bit for the Fajr and Maghrib prayers. It doesn't even close, basically they put on a new meat rack for the shawera at those times so it takes sometime for it to start cooking.

Downside: Don't give up on this shawerma if once or twice it doesn't taste so good. Sometimes... Sometimes they've made a salty version of this shawerma, which kind of spoils the taste... Only sometimes, so try again another time.

Directions:
If you're coming from Bur Dubai through the Shindagha Tunnel, go straight through the 1st signal (Hyatt Regency to your left). Get into the first service lane entrance to your right and you'll see Arbi Chicken straight ahead next to KFC.

2. Farouj Al Taazij (UAE)
Ok many people should know this chain of restaurants in the UAE. They have this special shawerma called Mexicy Shawerma. Its made in spicy Tahina which is red in color. Its not spicy that will make your mouth burn, but its just got that flavor that makes it a lot different. The shawerma is really small in size though.

Directions: It's quite visible smack on Muraqabat street in Dubai or King Faisal Street in Sharjah. I've seen some other shops too, I think theres one in Abu Hail too. Its a famous chain, a little searching and you'll find plenty of options

Price: 5 dh. (it might be 6 dh now, I've heard).

3. CockN'Bull (Pakistan)
Ok now this is SOME unique stuff! They make it in an unslit khubz bread and the bread is a little larger in size. They add in a lot of spices (not hot spices) and instead of tahina or thoom, they use a special yoghurt... Greek Yoghurt I think). It very similar to a Gyro, but of course Pakistanized with the spices. They also have a special variation of it, with cheese added, which is also a very very unique thing in a shawerma.

Price:

Plain shawerma: 80 rps.
Cheese Shawerma: 120 rps.

Directions: Contact: 5740568, 0300-8417552, 0300-4011127
There's also one in Johar town call them up for better directions.

can somebody guide me to a Camel meat Shawerma in the UAE? I've heard you get it in Saudia, and its supposed to be awesome. I am on a mission to try all kinds of shawermas in the world, so help me out! :D

Eating a chicken haleem would be like eating a Chicken Nihari. It JUST doesn't make sense :P Some thing's should be left unaltered ;)
Lol, I've eaten Chicken nihari too. It was alright.

But trust me on this bit of Chicken Haleem. It's a Kashmiri variation.

Asim, Since you're a big Shwarma fan, I'd recommend you the BEST place for that in Pakistan.

"Lebanese corner" In liberty, Lahore. It's in that plaza where Dunkin Donuts and "Neo Matrix" gaming cafe is. They also serve it in Camel meat.

It's by far the BEST shawarma available in pakistan without a doubt! Leaves **** and bull in it's dust!

Asim, Since you're a big Shwarma fan, I'd recommend you the BEST place for that in Pakistan.

"Lebanese corner" In liberty, Lahore. It's in that plaza where Dunkin Donuts and "Neo Matrix" gaming cafe is. They also serve it in Camel meat.

It's by far the BEST shawarma available in pakistan without a doubt! Leaves **** and bull in it's dust!
Will definitely try it out sometime.

How about... Chikkar Cholay in Lahore!

Chikkar means mud. Lol, they look like cholay in mud (not literally). Man they taste awesome.

In Niharie, the beaf is so soft that it falls apart, is it because extra cooking/steaming of the meat or it is certain part of the cow?

In Niharie, the beaf is so soft that it falls apart, is it because extra cooking/steaming of the meat or it is certain part of the cow?

You have to cook it for a LONG time so that it ends up soft and moist. The meat can be taken from any part of the cow. But usually preferred are the parts with Bones and flesh.

Back
Top Bottom