What's new

A tweet claimed Karachi's food is the best in Pakistan and Lahoris have a lot to say about this

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A tweet claimed Karachi's food is the best in Pakistan and Lahoris have a lot to say about this

Will Twitter finally be able to settle the age-old debate on which city does biryani better?

60e6d2c747f98.jpg

Folks on Twitter are at it again. They've triggered the ancient and unsolvable debate of who does biryani better, Karachi or Lahore. When Twitter user Usama Khawar posted about his preference for Karachi food — specifically biryani — as a Lahori himself, quite a few people were left scandalised.

"As a Lahori I'm ashamed to admit Karachi is Mecca of food in Pakistan," he wrote. "Lahore doesn't have anything on Karachi. An ordinary biryani at [the] Sindh High Court cafeteria is better than [the] best biryanis of Lahore, except perhaps Waqas Biryani — some say Waqas's is not a biryani," he wrote on Twitter.

Usama Khawar ☭

@UsamaKhawar

·
Jul 7

Unpopular opinion: As a Lahori I'm ashamed to admit Karachi is meca of food in Pakistn. Lahore doesn't hv anything on Karachi. An ordinary biryani at Sindh High Court cafeteria is better thn bst Biryanis of Lahore except perhaps Waqas Biryani- some say Waqas's is not a Biryani.

He acknowledged that the idea was hard to digest but Khawar stood his ground. "Difficult to accept that Lahori food is inferior! Please don't rub it in my face!" he pleaded.

It wasn't long before people poured in with their passionate points of view. There were quite a few who supported Khawar's assertions.

Usama Khawar ☭

@UsamaKhawar

·
Jul 7

Difficult to accept that Lahori food is inferior! Please don't rub it in my face! P.S. Lahoris are master propagandists - Goebbels level - for ages Lahori have successfully sold their silly food as the best in country.

But not everyone agreed with Khawar's claims.

Then there was the party who took a more intellectual approach to the matter. "Biryani is better in Karachi", a participating debater replied. "Maybe a couple of other dishes. But overall Lahore has better food."

This was enough to open the floodgates and the debate spread to other food items as well. Enter Nihari. Karachi might do biryani better but there's no beating Lahore's nihari, in their opinion.

As the debate went on, other cities started to feel a little left out. Folks from Peshawar threw their hats in the ring as well.

Then there was one city that absolutely no one favoured when it comes to food. Even the city's own folks couldn't put up a fight. Our heart goes out to the food scene in Islamabad.

The conversion currently ongoing on Twitter has us pretty entertained but we've got to side with Khawar on this one. There is nothing like a steaming plate of biryani to make your day and that biryani can only be had in Karachi. In your opinion which city has the best food?

To each their own but for me Karachi foods are too spicy. Heard a lot of Student Biryani back in 2010 or so and tried it. Lumps of spices. Literal lumps. Never again.

Now I am sure there are better places in Karachi so this is by no means a generalization.

To each their own but for me Karachi foods are too spicy. Heard a lot of Student Biryani back in 2010 or so and tried it. Lumps of spices. Literal lumps. Never again.

Now I am sure there are better places in Karachi so this is by no means a generalization.
Student biryani standard has competely fallen. It used to be good till 1990s, not anymore and everyone in Karachi says the same.

Now this is a City A Vs City B thread I can get behind.

Biryani is better in Karachi, probably the best anywhere. How can anyone argue against this? There are many other examples as well but don't really agree for the majority of the food, which obviously is a subjective matter. Likewise, Kabuli Pulao from Dassu, Chapli Kabab from Mardan, and namkeen karahi from Peshawar stand uncontested, IMO.

Last edited:

Will Twitter finally be able to settle the age-old debate on which city does biryani better?

60e6d2c747f98.jpg

Folks on Twitter are at it again. They've triggered the ancient and unsolvable debate of who does biryani better, Karachi or Lahore. When Twitter user Usama Khawar posted about his preference for Karachi food — specifically biryani — as a Lahori himself, quite a few people were left scandalised.

"As a Lahori I'm ashamed to admit Karachi is Mecca of food in Pakistan," he wrote. "Lahore doesn't have anything on Karachi. An ordinary biryani at [the] Sindh High Court cafeteria is better than [the] best biryanis of Lahore, except perhaps Waqas Biryani — some say Waqas's is not a biryani," he wrote on Twitter.

Usama Khawar ☭
@UsamaKhawar

·
Jul 7

Unpopular opinion: As a Lahori I'm ashamed to admit Karachi is meca of food in Pakistn. Lahore doesn't hv anything on Karachi. An ordinary biryani at Sindh High Court cafeteria is better thn bst Biryanis of Lahore except perhaps Waqas Biryani- some say Waqas's is not a Biryani.

He acknowledged that the idea was hard to digest but Khawar stood his ground. "Difficult to accept that Lahori food is inferior! Please don't rub it in my face!" he pleaded.

It wasn't long before people poured in with their passionate points of view. There were quite a few who supported Khawar's assertions.

Usama Khawar ☭
@UsamaKhawar

·
Jul 7

Difficult to accept that Lahori food is inferior! Please don't rub it in my face! P.S. Lahoris are master propagandists - Goebbels level - for ages Lahori have successfully sold their silly food as the best in country.

But not everyone agreed with Khawar's claims.

Then there was the party who took a more intellectual approach to the matter. "Biryani is better in Karachi", a participating debater replied. "Maybe a couple of other dishes. But overall Lahore has better food."

This was enough to open the floodgates and the debate spread to other food items as well. Enter Nihari. Karachi might do biryani better but there's no beating Lahore's nihari, in their opinion.

As the debate went on, other cities started to feel a little left out. Folks from Peshawar threw their hats in the ring as well.

Then there was one city that absolutely no one favoured when it comes to food. Even the city's own folks couldn't put up a fight. Our heart goes out to the food scene in Islamabad.

The conversion currently ongoing on Twitter has us pretty entertained but we've got to side with Khawar on this one. There is nothing like a steaming plate of biryani to make your day and that biryani can only be had in Karachi. In your opinion which city has the best food?

Have some pity on us overseas Pakistanis, who yearn for Karachi or Lahori food . My tummy will be grumbling all day now and I'll end up in an expensive desi restaurant.

I have to say Karachi's biryani is better than any place in Pakistan but i love all foods in Pakistan
I drank a tea in sawat in 96 it was heck of the tea what a tea that was, karahi is better in khaber pakhtun khaw every City in Pakistan has one or two special cuisine of that City i love them all whether i eat it or not in my life

I drank a tea in sawat in 96 it was heck of the tea what a tea that was

Next time you're traveling between Lahore and Islamabad, take the GT Road instead, stop at a random chai dhaba near Gujranwala, and ask for Dudhpati with Gur. You place the small piece of Gur under your tongue and sip the tea.

What you had in Swat was also Dudhpati.

What you had in Swat was also Dudhpati.
No Sir it was not a dudhpati but simple chai but what the taste of it had, its May be depend on mood of the person as well as place, we had a Trip of Swat with my family ( with my father/ sisters ànd cousins)

Unfortunately Sir I am currently living in USA don't have plan to visit Pakistan early

Last edited:
No Sir it was not a dudhpati but simple chai but what the taste of it had

What they call tea there is in fact Dudhpati. That's a thing as soon as you go north of Islamabad. If you want chai, you have to explicitly tell them not to make dudhpati and instead make "pani wali chai". Hence why I thought that what you had had was Dudhpati as well.

Unfortunately Sir I am currently living in USA don't have plan to visit Pakistan early

Whenever you get the chance.

Back
Top Bottom