What's new

A tweet claimed Karachi's food is the best in Pakistan and Lahoris have a lot to say about this

A tweet claimed Karachi's food is the best in Pakistan and Lahoris have a lot to say about this

Will Twitter finally be able to settle the age-old debate on which city does biryani better?

60e6d2c747f98.jpg

Folks on Twitter are at it again. They've triggered the ancient and unsolvable debate of who does biryani better, Karachi or Lahore. When Twitter user Usama Khawar posted about his preference for Karachi food — specifically biryani — as a Lahori himself, quite a few people were left scandalised.

"As a Lahori I'm ashamed to admit Karachi is Mecca of food in Pakistan," he wrote. "Lahore doesn't have anything on Karachi. An ordinary biryani at [the] Sindh High Court cafeteria is better than [the] best biryanis of Lahore, except perhaps Waqas Biryani — some say Waqas's is not a biryani," he wrote on Twitter.

Usama Khawar ☭
@UsamaKhawar

·
Jul 7

Unpopular opinion: As a Lahori I'm ashamed to admit Karachi is meca of food in Pakistn. Lahore doesn't hv anything on Karachi. An ordinary biryani at Sindh High Court cafeteria is better thn bst Biryanis of Lahore except perhaps Waqas Biryani- some say Waqas's is not a Biryani.

He acknowledged that the idea was hard to digest but Khawar stood his ground. "Difficult to accept that Lahori food is inferior! Please don't rub it in my face!" he pleaded.

It wasn't long before people poured in with their passionate points of view. There were quite a few who supported Khawar's assertions.

Usama Khawar ☭
@UsamaKhawar

·
Jul 7

Difficult to accept that Lahori food is inferior! Please don't rub it in my face! P.S. Lahoris are master propagandists - Goebbels level - for ages Lahori have successfully sold their silly food as the best in country.

But not everyone agreed with Khawar's claims.

Then there was the party who took a more intellectual approach to the matter. "Biryani is better in Karachi", a participating debater replied. "Maybe a couple of other dishes. But overall Lahore has better food."

This was enough to open the floodgates and the debate spread to other food items as well. Enter Nihari. Karachi might do biryani better but there's no beating Lahore's nihari, in their opinion.

As the debate went on, other cities started to feel a little left out. Folks from Peshawar threw their hats in the ring as well.

Then there was one city that absolutely no one favoured when it comes to food. Even the city's own folks couldn't put up a fight. Our heart goes out to the food scene in Islamabad.

The conversion currently ongoing on Twitter has us pretty entertained but we've got to side with Khawar on this one. There is nothing like a steaming plate of biryani to make your day and that biryani can only be had in Karachi. In your opinion which city has the best food?

in general food in Karachi is better mainly because of the age of cultural effect and the fact is many migrants from India settled there...it was the nation's capital and I believe it represents Pakistani food.

Lahore food in general doesn't seem to have any roots or sense... just do what ever you want.. no sense of quality also.
Which city is the cleanest?

Islamabad

Well i guess both karachi and lahore food is crap. Full of spices, too much spices and too much chilies. No wonder most of lahoris and karachites get ulcers past age of 40. I like food without spices, or with bare minimum, where u can actually taste the original stuff u are eating.

Well i guess both karachi and lahore food is crap. Full of spices, too much spices and too much chilies. No wonder most of lahoris and karachites get ulcers past age of 40. I like food without spices, or with bare minimum, where u can actually taste the original stuff u are eating.
we have all kind of food restaurants in both cities spicy and less spicy

not all of them....

the most realistic and authentic paye is ' phajja k piye' located in old lahore .

located nearby is ' feeka ki lassi' . you top the paya with lassi glass .
Although I haven’t tried the legendary piye from Lahore but personally I prefer cow piye over goat. It’s much richer.

No one is going to mention the exclusives of Karachi? Bun kabab? Bun Samosa? Bhelpuri? Chevara? Behari Kabab (I know you can get these elsewhere but you know they aren't the same)? There's also that very famous and old ice cream place.

No brother, why you thinks that, why you said that?? i only said Biryani was brought by Muhajirs to Pakistan from India, that's all i have wanna say to you brother

I used to think it was the Sindhi take through the Sindhi Biryani that made it better.

I have spent my whole life in İstanbul and I have never seen some of the stuff he's shown. Open sewers for example. I'm very curious which district of İstanbul you saw such things.

But I should have been clearer. He's citing air pollution indexes while saying "dirtiest city on earth"

Another Turkish dude went to Karachi and I agree it looks dirtier

@krash I just realized, you might have seen a gypsy neighborhood. I think all of them are demolished by now.

No idea, tbh. It was a few years ago and I was driving by in a cab. There's plenty on google anyway. The point still stands though, Gypsy neighborhood or not. My intention isn't to start some childish tit for tat back and forth, or excuse the very many failings of Pakistani cities, or even claim that mine is cleaner than yours. The point instead is that cities as old and as large as Lahore will always have their uglier sides as well. Maybe different problems, maybe to different degrees, but just as ugly nonetheless. That Vlogger, explicitly chose to show you only the ugliest. Then there are other Vloggers who only show the prettiest (plenty already posted on this forum).

But I should have been clearer. He's citing air pollution indexes while saying "dirtiest city on earth"
That in particular shows the agenda behind that video. According to WHO's actual empirical data, Lahore is ranked at 75th by air pollution.

Think we've taken this thread enough off course.

Last edited:
No one is going to mention the exclusives of Karachi? Bun kabab? Bun Samosa? Bhelpuri? Chevara? Behari Kabab (I know you can get these elsewhere but you know they aren't the same)? There's also that very famous and old ice cream place.

I used to think it was the Sindhi take through the Sindhi Biryani that made it better.

No idea, tbh. It was a few years ago and I was driving by in a cab. There's plenty on google anyway. The point still stands though, Gypsy neighborhood or not. My intention isn't to start some childish tit for tat back and forth, or excuse the very many failings of Pakistani cities, or even claim that mine is cleaner than yours. The point instead is that cities as old and as large as Lahore will always have their uglier sides as well. Maybe different problems, maybe to different degrees, but just as ugly nonetheless. That Vlogger, explicitly chose to show you the ugliest. Then there are other Vloggers who only show the prettiest (plenty already posted on this forum).

That in particular shows the agenda behind that video. According to WHO's actual empirical data, Lahore is ranked at 75th by air pollution.

Think we've taken this thread enough off course.
Bihari Kabab, no doubt is mind blowing, and no one does it better than Karachiites. Having said that, going through this thread has shot my cholestrol level through the roof. :lol:

It'd be unfair to compare delicacies of one of many cities of sindh with a whole province

True but I have ate in various cities of Punjab and I feel that Karachi always hold out against them.

Bihari Kabab, no doubt is mind blowing, and no one does it better than Karachiites.

Here what you get in the name of Bihari Kabab is a scam. I've tried at least a dozen places, some were even good, but none were a Bihari Kabab.

Having said that, going through this thread has shot my cholestrol level through the roof. :lol:

Tell me about it.

Back
Top Bottom