What's new

Indian Air Force sends Rs 113 crore bill to Kerala for flood operations, CM seeks exemption

undercover JIX

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Indian Air Force sends Rs 113 crore bill to Kerala for flood operations, CM seeks exemption
The chief minister said the state received a "very meagre" amount of Rs 2,904 crore as additional assistance from the National Disaster Relief Fund.
ADVERTISEMENT

Press Trust of India

Thiruvananathapuram
July 26, 2019
UPDATED: July 26, 2019 17:24 IST
kerala_reuters-770x433.jpeg

Flood victims unload food and relief material from an Indian Air force helicopter at Nelliyampathy Village, in the southern state of Kerala. (Photo: Reuters)
HIGHLIGHTS
  • Kerala has sought exemption from Rs 113 crore IAF bill
  • The IAF had sent the bill for conducting rescue operations during 2018 flood
  • Quoting fragile economy after the disaster, the CM has written to Defence Minister requesting exemption

Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has requested Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to exempt the state from paying over Rs 113 crore to IAF for the rescue operations carried out by the force during the 2018 floods, citing the financial inability of the state.

In a letter dated July 25, Vijayan said the state government received a bill to the tune of Rs 113.69 crore from the Indian Air Force (IAF).

Explaining the inability to pay the huge sum, he pointed out the Post-Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) report prepared by the United Nations, which said Rs 31,000 crore was required for the restoration of damaged infrastructure and other losses.

"You would appreciate that in such a situation, it is difficult to find such a huge amount due to the Indian Air Force from the State Disaster Response Fund. I would, therefore, request your kind consideration to exempt the payment of Rs 113.69 crore to the IAF considering the present situation of Kerala," Vijayan said.

The chief minister said the state received a "very meagre" amount of Rs 2,904 crore as additional assistance from the National Disaster Relief Fund.

"The state of Kerala was struck by Cyclone Ockhi in 2017 and floods in 2018 which caused immense damage to life and property and created stress on the already fragile financial situation of the state," Vijayan said in the letter.

He said the state has launched 'Rebuild Kerala Initiative' and the government needs more resources for this purpose.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/kerala-flood-rescue-operations-iaf-bill-1573960-2019-07-26

What a joke, Indian Military sending bills for serving and helping Indians in need during natural disasters.

I am sorry, I really do not have any idea.
Then better stop making comments like above.

The money is owed by the government of Kerala to the Ministry of Defense, one department owes another. That's how every government runs. Some poor states gets their debt written off, but Kerala is not a poor state rather one of the wealthiest state in India.

IAF is involved in corruption that is why so much airplanes crashed in feburary standoff due to poor maintenance resulting from corruption

Can you explain how this related to topic ?

I am sorry, I really do not have any idea. i accept my ignorance.

As per Government Accounting Rule, 1990 stated by Controller General of Accounts, in Appendix 5, it is clarified in details what are the charges a state government has to pay for the various kinds of duties armed forces perform during natural and other calamities such as earthquakes, floods, fire and famine.

Then better stop making comments like above.

The money is owed by the government of Kerala to the Ministry of Defense, one department owes another. That's how every government runs. Some poor states gets their debt written off, but Kerala is not a poor state rather one of the wealthiest state in India.
In any Normal country it is primary function of Military to defend, help, assist and save Citizens. They do not charge for doing their job.

As per Government Accounting Rule, 1990 stated by Controller General of Accounts, in Appendix 5, it is clarified in details what are the charges a state government has to pay for the various kinds of duties armed forces perform during natural and other calamities such as earthquakes, floods, fire and famine.

Does it states anywhere that, IA/IAF will pay states when and if Indian Military fails to defend them and prevent them against any internal and external threats? loss to states was caused because of inability of MoD/Military.

In any Normal country it is primary function of Military to defend, help, assist and save Citizens. They do not charge for doing their job.
So in Pakistan army men does free service?:what: Or do they get paid for their service? Apply that logic here too.
That's how Normal Countries function.
I don't need to rephrase it, it's not army asking for payment from public who they saved. It's one government agency asking from another.

What a joke, Indian Military sending bills for serving and helping Indians in need during natural disasters.

It's a proper procedure. That's way accounts of each and every department get properly maintained.

And it is only a paper work. In reality, government money remains with government.

State government either asks for exemption or asks for additional funds from Central government to meet expenditure.

So in Pakistan army men does free service?:what: Or do they get paid for their service? Apply that logic here too.
That's how Normal Countries function.
I don't need to rephrase it, it's not army asking for payment from public who they saved. It's one government agency asking from another.
You just need to read again what you wrote, you are not making any sense. Army and Army men do not charge for saving citizens and helping the country when need arises.

IA and Air Force need to pay states and citizens when their incompetence causes loss to states and citizens, or Indian Military running a profit making business.

This Primary responsibility and role of any Military to help and safeguard its country and citizen.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom