What's new

Does Pakistan have CH47 and AH64?

Zero Bravo

New Recruit

Reaction score
Chinooks supposed to be the best transport for both logistic support and carrying combatants.

Similarly, AH64 (Apache) can be loaded with guided missiles for precise targets. It can kill an individual and blow the whole fortress as well.

Does Pakistan have these nasty birds??

Chinooks supposed to be the best transport for both logistic support and carrying combatants.

Similarly, AH64 (Apache) can be loaded with guided missiles for precise targets. It can kill an individual and blow the whole fortress as well.

No we dont. We use Cobras to pound militant targets and MI-17 along with Bell are used for troop transport.

No we dont. We use Cobras to pound militant targets and MI-17 along with Bell are used for troop transport.

In 1995 we were buying 15 of them but the deal didn't work , we use Cobras like Ice Said and we do have hellfire missiles on our Cobras.

In 1995 we were buying 15 of them but the deal didn't work , we use Cobras like Ice Said and we do have hellfire missiles on our Cobras.

Thats news for me. I thought that we had different versions of TOWs like TOW-1 and TOW-2 only.

US Army also uses Kiowa Warrior SCOUT helicopters for recce, targeting and scouting operations alongwith gunship helicopters. Now that Pak Army is getting a good fleet of AH-1 Cobras, does the Army Aviation also need a good scouting platform too or it shall depend on UAVs+Mushak obeservation aircrafts?.....

Thats news for me. I thought that we had different versions of TOWs like TOW-1 and TOW-2 only.

I have to agree that is news to me also. I can only find reference to Pakistan's Army Aviation AH-1F/S using TOW.

US Army also uses Kiowa Warrior SCOUT helicopters for recce, targeting and scouting operations alongwith gunship helicopters. Now that Pak Army is getting a good fleet of AH-1 Cobras, does the Army Aviation also need a good scouting platform too or it shall depend on UAVs+Mushak obeservation aircrafts?.....

Army has Bell 206 helicopters for recce and scout.
You see, UAVs and Mushaks are not the plateforms to carry out kind of scouting required. As you have already mentioned in your post, to hunt for armour columns, recce and scouting is done while remaining undeteced, as done by US army.
Cobra is basically tank buster in warfare, with its 8 TOW missiles. To scout and hunt for the tanks in deserts, the requirement is of another helicopter, with small size, low noise and able to fly Nap of Earth. Tasnks are not hunted from above say 5,000 - 8,000 feet. Bell 206 has the ability to fly behind tree lines, at 5-10 feet from ground. Once it detecs the target, a squadron of tank, the waiting cobras are called to bust them. So it makes a good Hunter-Killer Team.

However, scout helicopters are used when this hunting game is going on over vast area, easilly traversed by scout helicopters. when enemy can be spoted by infantry troops, over a confined area, like there in NWFP, i think we donot need new scout helicopters.

However, scout helicopters are used when this hunting game is going on over vast area, easilly traversed by scout helicopters. when enemy can be spoted by infantry troops, over a confined area, like there in NWFP, i think we donot need new scout helicopters.

Agreed. The money spent on specilialist recce helicopters like Kiowa would be better spent on more gunships. Another thread on here suggests Mi-35s and I think the idea has merit.

Just digressing a little. One wish I'd like to see materialise is the US allocating Reaper UAV's to the PAF for use in the NWFP.

JK has reported in another post that pakistan is negotiating with italy for 10 excess Chinooks. they will probably get them soon.

I said we have them, Now what they are doing with them is another story.

Back
Top Bottom