What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 180 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.2%

• Total voters
IMG_20170814_102648.jpeg
IMG_20170814_102654.jpeg

View attachment 418255

Can you Id the sqn patch of pilots ?

Last raad launch Chinese media stated it was from jf-17 as launch platform but ispr nor PAC disclosed anything unlike previous launches where mirage was disclosed as launch platform nor the video showed the launch platform
The pilot nearest the camera is former OC 9 Squadron. F-16 unit.

The old bird still has plenty of life in her.

The PAF bought several Cheetahs, but for the wings and other parts (in order to rebuild frames for the ROSE II or III).
Noted - was away as we are harvesting right now.

There were several manufacturing units we had installed at Altas to build wings, parts etc, why would you want entire aircraft unless it was older wings? What is odd, the canards and revised wing structure dont appear to have found their way into ROSE; that would have meant newer flight system controls. I guess it was a matter of funding, time and scope of changes to meet project timelines. The other odd bit, does the RoSE still have the original Atar 9C or upgraded to 9K? We had licence to manufacture 9K which would have benefited PAF as these were made for Cheetah D as well as F1. I would have loved to see Cheetah resurrected in PAF as it was possible then but time is long gone.

Last edited:

There were several manufacturing units we had installed at Altas to build wings, parts etc, why would you want entire aircraft unless it was older wings? What is odd, the canards and revised wing structure dont appear to have found their way into ROSE; that would have meant newer flight system controls. I guess it was a matter of funding, time and scope of changes to meet project timelines. The other odd bit, does the RoSE still have the original Atar 9C or upgraded to 9K? We had licence to manufacture 9K which would have benefited PAF as these were made for Cheetah D as well as F1. I would have loved to see Cheetah resurrected in PAF as it was possible then but time is long gone.
IIRC France sold a ton of new or lightly used ATAR 9Cs to the PAF for a relatively low cost. The MRF at Kamra was also licensed to manufacture specific ATAR 9C parts.

Indeed, attempting to expand the scope of Mirage work between the two countries would have been very interesting. Perhaps continue experimenting with turbofan integration, using new flight control systems, or copying IAI's Kfir Block 60 by integrating an AESA radar?

All that said, I think there may be a shot at bilateral cooperation. Pakistan is seeking its own 5th-gen fighter (Project Azm), and perhaps Denel et. al could be asked to participate (be it as partners or on service contractors) with engineering and industry support? It may not be focused, but specific strands of expertise in South Africa could be key ingredients?

Last edited:
IIRC France sold a ton of new or lightly used ATAR 9Cs to the PAF for a relatively low cost. The MRF at Kamra was also licensed to manufacture specific ATAR 9C parts.

Indeed, attempting to expand the scope of Mirage work between the two countries would have been very interesting. Perhaps continue experimenting with turbofan integration, using new flight control systems, or copying IAI's Kfir Block 60 by integrating an AESA radar?

All that said, I think there may be a shot at bilateral cooperation. Pakistan is seeking its own 5th-gen fighter (Project Azm), and perhaps Denel et. al could be asked to participate (be it as partners or on service contractors) with engineering and industry support? It may not be focused, but specific strands of expertise in South Africa could be key ingredients?
Yes back then it was a great opportunity for Altas (it was part of Armscor) to have partnered and worked on converting all Mirages to Cheetah blueprints; we only look back. At least the radio systems i had worked on designing still lives on your aircrafts.
While JF-17 program continues on, it does appear that a upgraded Cheetah would definitely help fill in the gaps using RD-93 engines; i dont think either there is enough funds on PAF or focus on R&D for supplementary aircraft like Cheetah which could supplant or backup f-16s.A lot of performance could have been had if ROSE was merged up completely with the cheetah. Not that I am discrediting the French, but they are not exactly atuned to taking an older airframe to a newer level - they want to sell a replacement. Ingeniuity runs in our blood.

Hi what kind of radar is using by saaf in cheetahs and F1 AESA ?
Thx

In the case of PAF Mirages, they can also carry and launch ALCMs. :D

Pakistan%2BDisplays%2BHatf-VIII%2BRa%2527ad%2BII%2B550%2BKM%2BAir%2BLaunched%2BCruise%2BMissile%2B%2528ALCM%2529.jpg
These ALCMs are like beautiful "Indian Brides"! They are decorated with all the flashy ornaments and gaudy clothing, and are showered with lavish dowries!! And, after leaving dad's home they follow their significant halves even to the "funeral fire"!!!!

These ALCMs are like beautiful "Indian Brides"! They are decorated with all the flashy ornaments and gaudy clothing, and are showered with lavish dowries!! And, after leaving dad's home they follow their significant halves even to the "funeral fire"!!!!
What you know, they even light the fires and save all the wood for the funeral pyre.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom