What's new

Capabilities of PAF Dassault MIRAGE-III/V.

Should Pakistan upgrade its Mirages to South African Cheetah standard if not Beyond?

• Yes

Votes: 181 59.0%
  • No

Votes: 126 41.0%

• Total voters
Apparently, Mirage Horus from Egypt are here. But obviously this needs confirmation.

Some of the existing Mirages with PAF have Link-17, which means they also form part of the Netcentric , and can be easily directed/controlled by AWACS, Satellites, and other Ground based stations to fire missiles including long range missiles.

Rb199 are available on eBay for 92k USD. An ideal replacement for atar 9c . There are total of 2000+ made over 80s and 90s. And the beauty is it can fit in mirage of paf. Something to ponder on and consider. Rb199 is a good engine with quality after burner. This solves higher thrust issue and been turbofan it provides better fuel consumption.

Hence better range and reliability
Your idea is good - this was suggested to let a small POC to be done by some students. The problem is i believe lack of foresight and willingness unless someone higher up agrees from PAF. This is where I had argued there needs to be a complete independence of PAC from PAF - not a single personel must be there. Let the designers, engineers and project managers do their magic. Everything is unfortunately an after thought vs proactiveness.

Your idea is good - this was suggested to let a small POC to be done by some students. The problem is i believe lack of foresight and willingness unless someone higher up agrees from PAF. This is where I had argued there needs to be a complete independence of PAC from PAF - not a single personel must be there. Let the designers, engineers and project managers do their magic. Everything is unfortunately an after thought vs proactiveness.

Your analysis as always is right on target. I believe PAF feels it is stuck with mirages for a lack of better choices, thus no desire to make them cutting edge.

Your analysis as always is right on target. I believe PAF feels it is stuck with mirages for a lack of better choices, thus no desire to make them cutting edge.
adding better engine and mid tech avionics will keep them relevant not cutting edge.

Can you read? The link and quote I have given. You would gain much more respect and greater self confidence if you just admit you were wrong
Indian Air Force Freezes Jaguar Engine Upgrade
August 22, 2019 - by Daniel Darling

With upgraded avionics, Jaguar still lacks the thrust
By: Huma Siddiqui |
Published: September 29, 2019 3:51 PM

If you are not going to be annoyed, please consider dates of articles. Further Indians are reporting that Darin III is implemented now. I don't know whether they are lying or not. My link is more latest than yours that was the point. I knew engine issues of Jaguar but still Darin III is providing multi role capabilities and my point is our Mirages if have to remain there then should have similar multi role capabilities, no point to annoy you, I have shortage of time so just skim through most of the stuff.
May be you should admit that it is no where mentioned clearly that AESA radar is abandoned like new engine which is clearly left for time being.
I am here as a student but can't believe every thing blindly.

Indian Air Force Freezes Jaguar Engine Upgrade
August 22, 2019 - by Daniel Darling

With upgraded avionics, Jaguar still lacks the thrust
By: Huma Siddiqui |
Published: September 29, 2019 3:51 PM

If you are not going to be annoyed, please consider dates of articles. Further Indians are reporting that Darin III is implemented now. I don't know whether they are lying or not. My link is more latest than yours that was the point. I knew engine issues of Jaguar but still Darin III is providing multi role capabilities and my point is our Mirages if have to remain there then should have similar multi role capabilities, no point to annoy you, I have shortage of time so just skim through most of the stuff.
May be you should admit that it is no where mentioned clearly that AESA radar is abandoned like new engine which is clearly left for time being.
I am here as a student but can't believe every thing blindly.

The link you gives also states only 6 prototypes delivered and upgrade is stalled. In trying to prove me wrong you have proved yourself wrong. You made sweeping statement about IAF Jaguars having AESA and now you realise you cannot back it up. If you had any integrity you would admit you were wrong, but part of problem in our culture is that people do not want to lose "face".

The link you gives also states only 6 prototypes delivered and upgrade is stalled. In trying to prove me wrong you have proved yourself wrong. You made sweeping statement about IAF Jaguars having AESA and now you realise you cannot back it up. If you had any integrity you would admit you were wrong, but part of problem in our culture is that people do not want to lose "face".
Everyone knows jauguar upgrade project was abandoned due to lack of engine availability

The total cost for engines upgarde was at 2.5b$
That is amount in which PAF can get 100 new jf17

Now add rest of package cost to darin 3..simply unacceptable

Check the list of papers published by NUST including those on aviation. Available on NUST’s website. PIEAS is even more impressive but more theoretical not focused on aeronautics.

Last edited:
Mirages should be phased out by 2025-2030. Apart from may be an avionics upgarde anything esle will be cost prohibitive.
Better spend that money else where in jf17& azm.
Jf17 can be optimized for strike role(may be researching better weapons, multiple racks, CFTs and SOW)
if PAF wants to keep mirages beyond 2040 (which i dont know how, as unlike jauguars we dont make any parts for mirages) than ofcourse zero airframe and an rd 93 engine upgrade can be considered

You have won the prize and I shall not believe what ever Indian's say. Now be happy and end of discussion.

By 2030 a 150 more jf17s can easily be built to replace all mirages.
May be get 1-2 squardons of f16s and 1-2 squardons of j10s to supplement that.

Now ofcourse if french are ready to do a similar work around with mirage2000 than sure but i highly doubt it

You have won the prize and I shall not believe what ever Indian's say. Now be happy and end of discussion.

No need for drama or acting like a martyr. Just research before making sweeping statements. One just needs to look at IAF Jaguars to see that they remain un upgraded. HAL is doing no work on the Jaguar fleet at all.

In a seperate note IAF is losing approx 2 Jaguars every year to accidents. 12 lost in last 6 years.

Check the list of papers published by NUST including those on aviation. Available on NUST’s website. PIEAS is even more impressive but more theoretical not focused on aeronautics.
Thanks, i am aware of these sites. already working with one key researcher.

In the meantime...

106502328_2837864099672711_1999293598181458452_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom