What's new

Arabic Coffee shop

@al-Hasani what do you think of the new king? i wanted an unbiased opinion and the news is no help

Please see my post number 129 in this thread below;

King Abdullah has passed away - PDF extends its condolences to the Saudi people | Page 9

In general my opinion of King Salman is good. He seems like a warm-hearted person and he has a very good track record as a long-time governor of Riyadh which he has transformed into a international metropolis.

He is likely to continue the reforms. What differentiates him from King Abdullah is that he is more assertive and direct in his approach IMO.

Otherwise please read that post in that thread that I have linked to.

Saudis should be careful about Prince Muqrin he is obviously up to no good and talk about ruining a tradition that has spanned for more than a 100 years(goatee). Reform is great but he has taken it too far. :P

Saudis should be careful about Prince Muqrin he is obviously up to no good and talk about ruining a tradition that has spanned for more than a 100 years(goatee). Reform is great but he has taken it too far. :P

:lol:

Good one. Had to read that twice.

More thievery of other's history

200-year-old Torah scroll brought to Jerusalem synagogue | i24news - See beyond

A 200-year-old Torah scroll has arrived from Baghdad to Jerusalem, where it was greeted with candies and song in a dedication ceremony on Thursday.

Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said the scroll's journey from Iraqi intelligence storage to a synagogue in the ministry "represents the fate of the Jews." Jews have been persecuted, he said, but "in the end they come to Israel."

To celebrate the scroll's restoration, Lieberman and Sephardi Chief Rabbi of Israel, Yitzhak Yosef, marched with the scroll around the perimeter of the Foreign Ministry building, with some 300 ministry employees trailing behind them throwing candy, clapping and singing.

The scroll was found in 2003 – a few days after the American takeover of Baghdad - in an Iraqi Jewish Archive.

A group of American soldiers entered the flooded headquarters of Saddam Hussein’s Intelligence agency (Mukhabarat). In the basement, under four feet of water, they found tens of thousands of books, artifacts and documents belonging to the Jewish community – materials that had been seized mainly in the 1960's from synagogues, schools and other Jewish institutions.

I agree, this is thievery. It was also thievery when Saddam took it, it and other artifacts should be in an Iraqi museum for all Iraqis to see. It pains me to see the great history of the middle east being tarnished and twisted by different people like this.

More thievery of other's history

200-year-old Torah scroll brought to Jerusalem synagogue | i24news - See beyond

A 200-year-old Torah scroll has arrived from Baghdad to Jerusalem, where it was greeted with candies and song in a dedication ceremony on Thursday.

Israeli Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman said the scroll's journey from Iraqi intelligence storage to a synagogue in the ministry "represents the fate of the Jews." Jews have been persecuted, he said, but "in the end they come to Israel."

To celebrate the scroll's restoration, Lieberman and Sephardi Chief Rabbi of Israel, Yitzhak Yosef, marched with the scroll around the perimeter of the Foreign Ministry building, with some 300 ministry employees trailing behind them throwing candy, clapping and singing.

The scroll was found in 2003 – a few days after the American takeover of Baghdad - in an Iraqi Jewish Archive.

A group of American soldiers entered the flooded headquarters of Saddam Hussein’s Intelligence agency (Mukhabarat). In the basement, under four feet of water, they found tens of thousands of books, artifacts and documents belonging to the Jewish community – materials that had been seized mainly in the 1960's from synagogues, schools and other Jewish institutions.

Not the Joooooooooos again

I'm joking but u always do that with me :D

Last edited:
@Ahmed Jo

Masha'Allah. I knew that there was something "there".;)

Welcome to the "club".:D

Will give it a read surely! Thanks for the link.

Oh, I can see that your clan has fondness for Arabian horses. Great!

@Ahmed Jo

Masha'Allah. I knew that there was something "there".;)

Welcome to the "club".:D

Will give it a read surely! Thanks for the link.
So don't be surprised if someday I make my claim to the hijaz with my magnificent (and non-existent) army of warriors. Maybe I'll make you my second-in-command lol

I agree, this is thievery. It was also thievery when Saddam took it, it and other artifacts should be in an Iraqi museum for all Iraqis to see. It pains me to see the great history of the middle east being tarnished and twisted by different people like this.

True. KSA is actually working for that.

Thousands of Saudi artifacts returned to Kingdom
December 24, 2009
Saudi Arabia has retrieved more than 10,000 of its artifacts from other countries, Prince Sultan bin Salman, chairman of Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA), said on Wednesday, Arab News reported today.

“Retrieving antiquities has now become a national issue,” Prince Sultan bin Salman said, adding that the government would continue its efforts to bring back Saudi artifacts scattered across the world.

Prince Sultan said the SCTA with the cooperation of other government agencies would prevent the theft of antiquities, especially the ones from the Islamic heritage sites in Makkah and Madinah.

“Saudi Arabia is replete with a large number of valuable antiquities and protection of these artifacts is a national duty,” he said, adding that the Kingdom would not tolerate smuggling of antiquities.

Prince Sultan said the Kingdom would host the first international conference on architectural heritage on April 18.

The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Washington, DC, USA

True. KSA is actually working for that.

Thousands of Saudi artifacts returned to Kingdom
December 24, 2009
Saudi Arabia has retrieved more than 10,000 of its artifacts from other countries, Prince Sultan bin Salman, chairman of Saudi Commission for Tourism and Antiquities (SCTA), said on Wednesday, Arab News reported today.

“Retrieving antiquities has now become a national issue,” Prince Sultan bin Salman said, adding that the government would continue its efforts to bring back Saudi artifacts scattered across the world.

Prince Sultan said the SCTA with the cooperation of other government agencies would prevent the theft of antiquities, especially the ones from the Islamic heritage sites in Makkah and Madinah.

“Saudi Arabia is replete with a large number of valuable antiquities and protection of these artifacts is a national duty,” he said, adding that the Kingdom would not tolerate smuggling of antiquities.

Prince Sultan said the Kingdom would host the first international conference on architectural heritage on April 18.

The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Washington, DC, USA
That's great to hear.

So don't be surprised if someday I make my claim to the hijaz with my magnificent (and non-existent) army of warriors. Maybe I'll make you my second-in-command lol

Actually most Jordanians and people from Levant have ancestral ties to nearby Hijaz. Especially partially. Vice versa too.
We have mixed in this region for thousands of years with each other, mostly various Semitic peoples, but also others.

Also I once read in a article about DNA that many Saudi Arabian paternal lineages originate in the Levant. Of course this is before the Paleolithic age but also many recent.

Basically Jordanians and Saudi Arabians (especially those living in Northern KSA - KSA is a huge country we must remember with big geographical differences and distinctive stories and histories of all the historical regions) are the same people. There was no difference before the current day borders which are even less than 100 years old.

Actually most Jordanians and people from Levant have ancestral ties to nearby Hijaz. Especially partially. Vice versa too.
We have mixed in this region for thousands of years with each other, mostly various Semitic peoples, but also others.

Also I once read in a article about DNA that many Saudi Arabian paternal lineages originate in the Levant. Of course this is before the Paleolithic age but also many recent.

Basically Jordanians and Saudi Arabians (especially those living in Northern KSA - KSA is a huge country we must remember with big geographical differences and distinctive cultures and histories of the all the historical regions) are the same people. There was no difference before the current day borders which are even less than 100 years old.
I know that some people in the city of Haql in the north of KSA sometimes watch Jordanian television because I was watching this show and a caller came on from Haql (idk if this is a good example). Basically, it doesn't seem that there's a big difference between the people of Aqaba (and surrounding areas) and the people of north Saudi Arabia.

Basically Jordanians and Saudi Arabians (especially those living in Northern KSA - KSA is a huge country we must remember with big geographical differences and distinctive stories and histories of all the historical regions) are the same people. There was no difference before the current day borders which are even less than 100 years old.

It is but sadly KSA has first really started to wake up on this department (heritage, archaeology etc.) in recent years and it is still not good enough IMO. Many of it is also the fault of the regimes and their neglect. People too.
Also, have you seen the family tree section on the website? I think there is a connection to the tribe of quraish and thus the Hashemites.

That's great to hear.

It is but sadly KSA has first really started to wake up on this department (heritage, archaeology etc.) in recent years and it is still not good enough IMO. Many of it is also the fault of past governments and their neglect. People too have done a lot of neglect. Still pre-Islamic times are frowned upon and little access to archaeology has been given to outsiders let alone locals etc.

See;

Also speaking about modern-day KSA and Jordan then do not forget that Hijaz and Southern Levant share the Nabatean heritage. The magnificent civilization that gave rise to World UNESCO Heritage Sites such as Petra, Mada'in Saleh, Shivta and Avta (in modern day Southern Israel) and Bosra in Southern Syria.

Nabataeans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find the Nabateans to be one of the most interesting civilizations. That they could perform such archeological wonders in such a harsh landscape (rocky desert, valleys and mountains) is impressive if you ask me.

Petra is a jewel.

The Treasury at Petra, Jordan
by kokorokoko, on Flickr

jordan petra
by Infoway - Web Development Company, on Flickr

Petra by sharnik, on Flickr

Petra: il Tempio Grande by costagar51, on Flickr

Jordan-18A-094 - Theatre (view large) by archer10 (Dennis), on Flickr

The Temenos Gate and the Royal Tombs at Petra, Jordan - March 2012 by SaffyH - BETA IS NOT BETTER IT IS WORSE!, on Flickr

I know that some people in the city of Haql in the north of KSA sometimes watch Jordanian television because I was watching this show and a caller came on from Haql (idk if this is a good example). Basically, it doesn't seem that there's a big difference between the people of Aqaba (and surrounding areas) and the people of north Saudi Arabia.

Also, have you seen the family tree section on the website? I think there is a connection to the tribe of quraish and thus the Hashemites.

How cool. This reminds me of people (callers) calling to some religious programs in KSA that I have seen and then people from Libya, Tunisia etc. call and extend greetings to certain Arab tribes (their own) to the uncles in KSA.:lol:

No, there is not. That goes for all of Jordan actually. Tabuk is another example. I wonder if the dialects are the same? To me Jordanian Arabic seems very close to Hijazi Arabic. But so is Shami Arabic in general. Second only to Egyptian and Sudanese.

I will take a closer look. I took a quick glance only because we started this discussion.:)

I really got to make some food. I am extremely hungry. Been a long day with the funeral of King Abdullah, burial and all that. Been following it closely and reflecting upon a few things. Then there was Iraq-Iran and the UAE-Japan game in the AFC 2015. Both Iraq and UAE qualified. So now we got 2 Arab teams in the semifinals. You should really take a look at the thread I made about the AFC 2015 here for some cheap laughs. The recent pages.

Also I have barely sleep. King Abdullah died 01.00 today (this night) so I was obviously following the news all night basically. Only got 2-3 hours of sleep.

Speaking about Haql. There is a sunken ship at the beach which has become a tourist attraction, lol. A bit like that shipwreck in Zakynthos Greece if you have ever seen it. Obviously far from this famous, lol.

Last edited:
It is but sadly KSA has first really started to wake up on this department (heritage, archaeology etc.) in recent years and it is still not good enough IMO. Many of it is also the fault of past governments and their neglect. People too have done a lot of neglect. Still pre-Islamic times are frowned upon and little access to archaeology has been given to outsiders let alone locals etc.

See;

Also speaking about modern-day KSA and Jordan then do not forget that Hijaz and Southern Levant share the Nabatean heritage. The magnificent civilization that gave rise to World UNESCO Heritage Sites such as Petra, Mada'in Saleh, Shivta and Avta (in modern day Southern Israel) and Bosra in Southern Syria.

Nabataeans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find the Nabateans to be one of the most interesting civilizations. That they could perform such archeological wonders in such a harsh landscape (rocky desert, valleys and mountains) is impressive if you ask me.

Petra is a jewel.

The Treasury at Petra, Jordan
by kokorokoko, on Flickr

jordan petra
by Infoway - Web Development Company, on Flickr

Petra by sharnik, on Flickr

Petra: il Tempio Grande by costagar51, on Flickr

Jordan-18A-094 - Theatre (view large) by archer10 (Dennis), on Flickr

The Temenos Gate and the Royal Tombs at Petra, Jordan - March 2012 by SaffyH - BETA IS NOT BETTER IT IS WORSE!, on Flickr

How cool. This reminds me of people calling to some religious programs in KSA that I have seen and then people from Libya, Tunisia etc. call and extend greetings to certain Arab tribes (their own) to the uncles in KSA.:lol:

No, there is not. That goes for all of Jordan actually. Tabuk is another example. I wonder if the dialectics are the same? To me Jordanian Arabic seems very close to Hijazi Arabic.

I will take a closer look. I took a quick glance only because we started this discussion.:)

I really got to make some food. I am extremely hungry. Been a long day with the funeral of King Abdullah, burial and all that. Been following it closely and reflecting upon a few things. Then there was Iraq-Iran and the UAE-Japan game in the AFC 2015. Both Iraq and UAE qualified. So now we got 2 Arab teams in the semifinals. You should really take a look at the thread I made about the AFC 2015 here for some cheap laughs. The recent pages.

Also I have barely sleep. King Abdullah died 01.00 today (this night) so I was obviously following the news all night basically. Only got 2-3 hours of sleep.
جازاك الله خير :-) and I don't think its the same for all of Jordan since there are many different kinds of Jordanians of different origins (such as Palestinian, Iraqi, or even Syrian, and of course the 'natives' of Jordan.). I've also noticed that there are different accents in each region. For example, I'm from irbid and they have a noticeable accent of their own different from say that of the south or even in northern cities like Salt. Of course I don't speak in the irbidi accent since I spent my childhood in Amman where it's rather diverse, I remember having Kuwaiti and Iraqi friends as a child which effected the way I pronounce some words or phrases. Tbh, I'm really glad that I went to a diverse school at that time because it gave me a sense of brotherhood with other Arabs (which unfortunately kind of deminished as I grew up).

Anyway, I don't want to keep up for too long. I've also not slept since 3 AM so I know how you feel.

EDIT: when I say "Jordanian" I mean those who have Jordanian citizenship, even if they are first generation.

جازاك الله خير :-) and I don't think its the same for all of Jordan since there are many different kinds of Jordanians of different origins (such as Palestinian, Iraqi, or even Syrian, and of course the 'natives' of Jordan.). I've also noticed that there are different accents in each region. For example, I'm from irbid and they have a noticeable accent of their own different from say that of the south or even in northern cities like Salt. Of course I don't speak in the irbidi accent since I spent my childhood in Amman where it's rather diverse, I remember having Kuwaiti and Iraqi friends as a child which effected the way I pronounce some words or phrases. Tbh, I'm really glad that I went to a diverse school at that time because it gave me a sense of brotherhood with other Arabs (which unfortunately kind of deminished as I grew up).

Anyway, I don't want to keep up for too long. I've also not slept since 3 AM so I know how you feel.

Of course. I was just generalizing here. I mean even in Hijaz you have different dialects depending on whether we are talking about urban or rural Hijazi Arabic. In the past the differences were bigger. For instance people of Makkah spoke a distinct Arabic compared to those in Jeddah or Ta'if. All nearby cities. Of course this is relative. Overall Hijazi Arabic is understood by all Hijazis.

Simiarily, at least I imagine so, the differences between Jordanian Arabic cannot be that great?

So when I say that Hijazi Arabic in general has most in common with Egyptian/Sudanese and Shami I by Shami here mean the Arabic dialects spoken in Levant. Of course Hijazi Arabic has also been influenced by "Yemeni" (Yemen itself has many dialects like all Arab countries of a certain size) Arabic (especially Hadhrami due to the Hadhrami migrations).

Anyway not long ago I learned that even in England you had those differences in dialect depending on the region in England (a lot of distinctive dialects actually) and England is a very small country.

They are apparently still present but not as strong as earlier. Same with many Arabic dialects nowadays.

List of dialects of the English language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, I miss @Arabian Legend @Yzd Khalifa and @BLACKEAGLE . I have totally forgot about that other forum. I think that it is time to make my entrance. It's just that I can't afford to be active on another forum. That other forum still appears relatively "dead" or is it just me last time I saw it (1 month ago or so). Also I got all the Arabic military forums to look for too whenever there are major news and updates. Social media as well. Studies etc. It's too much with that computer all the time. I wish to take a break but it's hard when you need to be around a computer all the time to have contact with family, friends, people, for studies etc.

Also here lastly before I depart (lol) then this is the shipwreck in Haql that I was talking about.

‫تصوير جوي سفينة حقل الغارقة‬‎ - YouTube

What is happening with the Youtube links on PDF?

BTW; Kuwaiti and Iraqi Arabic are very similar overall.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom