What's new

Anti-Tank Capabilities of Infantry Divisions in Strike Corps

Signalian

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The infantry divisions which accompany Armored Divisions in Strike Corps, have paramount responsibilities on their shoulders. There are 3 such Infantry Divisions.

1. 17th Infantry Division - I Corps
2. 37th Infantry Division - I Corps
and
3. 40th Infantry Division - II Corps

Role

These Infantry Divisions are part of Strike Corps so have to take part in assault (offensive) led by Armored Division of their respective Corps. They are fully motorized for this purpose and there are "rumors" that they are partly mechanized also.

1. These divisions have to either follow or join Armored Divisions in combat.
2. Provide cover from flank attacks by enemy armor or infantry formations.
3. Hold and defend the area captured by the Armored Division
4. Provide cover in case Armor Division falls back to friendly lines.
5. Provide security to keep lines of communications and logistics open for Strike Corps.

In depiction below, 17 ID moves along with 6 Armor Div while 37 ID is held in reserve. These ID's can be used in any of above mentioned roles.

SC 2.jpg

Structure

The structure is same as of any other Infantry Division. The usual 3 brigade structure, 9 infantry battalions, 1 Armor Regiment, 1 Light Anti Tank Battalion (LAT), 3 Artillery and 3 AD Regiments.

LAT has 24 ATGM 4x4 and 24 MG 4x4. One such Battalion can be considered enough to give AT coverage to entire Division against enemy Armor.

@Gryphon has pointed out in past that Mechanized Infantry Battalions (M-113) are now assigned to Armored Divisions.

Fighting Arms of Infantry Division:

ID FA.jpg

Supporting Arms

ID SA.jpg

Anti Tank Capability- proposed Structure

Since 17,37 and 40 ID move along with PA's Armor Division, they will encounter heavy IA Armor presence in the form of Indian Army's IBG's, Armored Brigades or Division or even RAPID's. Therefore, these Infantry Divisions should have more Anti-Tank component (an Anti Tank Brigade) since they will be encountering T-90 and BMP's of Indian Army much more than other Infantry Divisions of PA.

Following is the proposed structure for these infantry divisions.

A Bde: 3 x Infantry Battalions
B Bde: 3 x Infantry Battalions
LAT Bde: 3 x LAT Battalions

1 x Armored Regiment
1 x HAT (Heavy AT) Regiment

pro 1.jpg

Expected Scenario

Since the above mentioned three Infantry Divisions work closely with Armored Divisions, the Indian Army will throw in T-90 and BMP's at them. Which would be be more suited for defense against Indian Armor;

Regular Infantry Brigade OR Light/Heavy Anti Tank Brigade ?

SC1.jpg

Last edited:
There was a rumor that we we acquiring 282 light/old tanks from Serbia !! If we had done, can we convert them into mine dispenser, TOS-1 system or Anti Tank vehicles or just system with active protection system and radar or with just radar (ground movement one)? May be with Turkish or Chinese help?
Yes, I get the point that we have already old tanks inventory. I think we should pitch these for Nigeria etc with some modernization so they can fight rebels.

Last edited:
The infantry divisions which accompany Armored Divisions in Strike Corps, have paramount responsibilities on their shoulders. There are 3 such Infantry Divisions.

1. 17th Infantry Division - I Corps
2. 37th Infantry Division - I Corps
and
3. 40th Infantry Division - II Corps

Role

These Infantry Divisions are part of Strike Corps so have to take part in assault (offensive) led by Armored Division of their respective Corps. They are fully motorized for this purpose and there are "rumors" that they are partly mechanized also.

1. These divisions have to either follow or join Armored Divisions in combat.
2. Provide cover from flank attacks by enemy armor or infantry formations.
3. Hold and defend the area captured by the Armored Division
4. Provide cover in case Armor Division falls back to friendly lines.
5. Provide security to keep lines of communications and logistics open for Strike Corps.

In depiction below, 17 ID moves along with 6 Armor Div while 37 ID is held in reserve. These ID's can be used in any of above mentioned roles.

View attachment 589607

Mangla-based 19 Inf Div is now subordinate to the co-located HQ 1 Corps. Which means the Strike Corps has 3× Inf Div's besides the Armd Div.

34 Light Inf Div for 10 Corps.

Structure

The structure is same as of any other Infantry Division. The usual 3 brigade structure, 9 infantry battalions, 1 Armor Regiment, 1 Light Anti Tank Battalion (LAT), 3 Artillery and 3 AD Regiments.

LAT has 24 ATGM 4x4 and 24 MG 4x4. One such Battalion can be considered enough to give AT coverage to entire Division against enemy Armor.

@Gryphon has pointed out in past that Mechanized Infantry Battalions (M-113) are now assigned to Armored Divisions.

Fighting Arms of Infantry Division:

View attachment 589571

Supporting Arms

View attachment 589572

3× Field and 1× Medium Regt.
I believe there are no AD Regt's in Inf Div's.

Anti Tank Capability- proposed Structure

Since 17,37 and 40 ID move along with PA's Armor Division, they will encounter heavy IA Armor presence in the form of Indian Army's IBG's, Armored Brigades or Division or even RAPID's. Therefore, these Infantry Divisions should have more Anti-Tank component (an Anti Tank Brigade) since they will be encountering T-90 and BMP's of Indian Army much more than other Infantry Divisions of PA.

Following is the proposed structure for these infantry divisions.

A Bde: 3 x Infantry Battalions
B Bde: 3 x Infantry Battalions
LAT Bde: 3 x LAT Battalions

1 x Armored Regiment
1 x HAT (Heavy AT) Regiment

View attachment 589602

Expected Scenario

Since the above mentioned three Infantry Divisions work closely with Armored Divisions, the Indian Army will throw in T-90 and BMP's at them. Which would be be more suited for defense against Indian Armor;

Regular Infantry Brigade OR Light/Heavy Anti Tank Brigade ?

View attachment 589608

Since you have suggested conversion of 1× Inf Bde to LAT Bde and also the presently existing LAT Regiment to HAT, I would like to mention a few things here:
  • ATGM/vehicle used: HAT's use TOW-mounted APCs, while LAT's use Baktar-Shikan (HJ-8) mounted APCs / 4×4 jeeps.
  • Current deployment: LAT's deployed south of Okara in semi-desert/desert areas use Baktar-Shikan mounted APCs. Same is the case with LAT's stationed north of Sialkot due to rivulets / boggy areas.
Side note: Few years back, a unit in 23 Inf Div AOR was engaged in severe clashes on LOC. A LAT was called, far away from Gujranwala, to provide its 4×4 jeep mounted firepower... moved in, hit hard, withdrew.
  • Corps HAT Regt: There is a HAT Regt under both HQ 1 Corps and HQ 2 Corps.
  • Conversion of LAT Regiment to HAT: Will involve replacing Baktar-Shikan with TOW/Kornet-E. APCs already available.
  • Conversion of Inf Bde to LAT Bde: Increases firepower, but decreases troop numbers available for dismount.
  • Effectiveness: If both conversions are applied, that will give a ratio of 6:4 (infantry battalions and AT battalions) in an Inf Div.
Side note: IMO, LAT's and HAT's are meant to shoot-and-scoot and their survivability in direct confrontation with enemy remains low.
  • Other solution: Number of HAT Regt's under Corps HQ can be increased, with the CC at liberty to allocate 1× HAT Regt per Inf Div. This has been implemented in 31 Corps, and no changes to divisional structure are required.

There was a rumor that we we acquiring 282 light/old tanks from Serbia !! If we had done, can we convert them into mine dispenser, TOS system or AT vehicles? May be with Turkish or Chinese help?

AFAIK, not acquired. There are plenty of T-59/69 tanks in inventory that can be converted.

@Signalian @Gryphon Havn't we got any man-portable ffatm with SC formation inf Batl's?

Not yet. PA relies on SACLOS ATGMs like Baktar-Shikan & TOW.

OMTAS is being considered.

There was a rumor that we we acquiring 282 light/old tanks from Serbia !! If we had done, can we convert them into mine dispenser, TOS system or AT vehicles? May be with Turkish or Chinese help?
That was BS, considering the number of old tank we have to phase out ourself.

As for mine dispensers, we have 2 indigenous types in services.

B25A53D4-8E34-4725-861F-810CDEB3FAE8.png
1527E4D1-CDCD-4809-A2F8-9B089EFC9250.jpeg

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/pakistan-army-indigenous-mine-dispensing-system-tested.460019/

@Signalian @Gryphon Havn't we got any man-portable ffatm with SC formation inf Batl's?
A-100 Alcotan, if you consider it a worthy ATGM.

A-100 Alcotan, if you consider it a worthy ATGM.
Don't know much about this but by looking at specs it seems akin to Saab M4 and RPG-29 rather than any ffatm.

Not yet. PA relies on SACLOS ATGMs like Baktar-Shikan & TOW.

OMTAS is being considered.
I hope we induct one,though as mentioned A-100 is also a worthy weapon.

Mangla-based 19 Inf Div is now subordinate to the co-located HQ 1 Corps. Which means the Strike Corps has 3× Inf Div's besides the Armd Div.

34 Light Inf Div for 10 Corps.

3× Field and 1× Medium Regt.
I believe there are no AD Regt's in Inf Div's.

Since you have suggested conversion of 1× Inf Bde to LAT Bde and also the presently existing LAT Regiment to HAT, I would like to mention a few things here:
  • ATGM/vehicle used: HAT's use TOW-mounted APCs, while LAT's use Baktar-Shikan (HJ-8) mounted APCs / 4×4 jeeps.
  • Current deployment: LAT's deployed south of Okara in semi-desert/desert areas use Baktar-Shikan mounted APCs. Same is the case with LAT's stationed north of Sialkot due to rivulets / boggy areas.
Side note: Few years back, a unit in 23 Inf Div AOR was engaged in severe clashes on LOC. A LAT was called, far away from Gujranwala, to provide its 4×4 jeep mounted firepower... moved in, hit hard, withdrew.
  • Corps HAT Regt: There is a HAT Regt under both HQ 1 Corps and HQ 2 Corps.
  • Conversion of LAT Regiment to HAT: Will involve replacing Baktar-Shikan with TOW/Kornet-E. APCs already available.
  • Conversion of Inf Bde to LAT Bde: Increases firepower, but decreases troop numbers available for dismount.
  • Effectiveness: If both conversions are applied, that will give a ratio of 6:4 (infantry battalions and AT battalions) in an Inf Div.
Side note: IMO, LAT's and HAT's are meant to shoot-and-scoot and their survivability in direct confrontation with enemy remains low.
  • Other solution: Number of HAT Regt's under Corps HQ can be increased, with the CC at liberty to allocate 1× HAT Regt per Inf Div. This has been implemented in 31 Corps, and no changes to divisional structure are required.
I've seen a TOW mounted on Defender. I'll try to find its picture.

Don't know much about this but by looking at specs it seems akin to Saab M4 and RPG-29 rather than any ffatm.

I hope we induct one,though as mentioned A-100 is also a worthy weapon.

Alcotan-AT (M2) is an unguided rocket - has neither the range nor the penetration power of a modern ATGM. Still, a useful weapon for the dismounted infantry against enemy T-72s & BMP-2s.

---->Conclusion----<

---Pakistan Army possesses strong anti-tank capability which will be a challenge to Indian mechanized formations in any future conflict.

---The main objective of these anti-tank formations is to prevent a break-out by Indian armoured formations. Using speed, mobility, terrain familiarity and stand-off range of their missiles, they intend to blunt Indian mechanized offensive.

---With the ability to engage targets at night, they can spring a surprise on any advancing armour column. Working in conjunction with some armour and/or AH-1 ‘Cobra’ gunship helicopters will make for a formidable force.
Pakistani LAT and HAT will play an important role in next Indo-Pak war. And like the Israelis in 1973 war, Indian Army will have to evolve tactics to counter them. And while Israelis were taken by surprise, Indian Army knows the existence of this capability.

---Apart from counter-tactics, Indian Army also needs to invest in a technological solution like Active Protection Systems (APS) for its main battle tanks.

https://www.opindia.com/2018/02/ind...-missile-to-counter-indias-mechanised-forces/

Now this is what I like about you both. Excellent suggestions here.

The usual PA Infantry Division has 9 infantry battalions under 3 Bde HQs, 1 LAT Bn, 1 Armoured Regt, 1 Signals Bn, 1 Engr Bn, 1 Supply & Transport Bn, 1 Medical Bn, 1 EME Bn and the provost (MP Unit). Brigade Artillery had 3 Field Regts, 1 Medium Regt, 1 Heavy Mortar Battery and a Locating Battery.

AFAIK the 14 Div is still at Okara, hence grouped under HQ II Corps.

Integral armour is obsolete for modern warfare especially when we're concerned with the anti-tank capability. Formation of LAT/HAT Bde would certainly give greater firepower, and anti-tank potential, but the overall manpower of the division will be depleted as these units are usually about 60% of the regular infantry battalion.

In the years preceding '65, firepower at the unit level was bolstered by Musa's reforms, as then the manpower ratio vis à vis the Indian Army was much greater than what it is now, hence to make up for this shortage, and to enable the infantry to cover a wider frontage, MMGs, RCLs per unit were increased, and we all know about the formation of R&S units, predecessors of the modern-day LAT/HAT Bns.

These reforms did manage to allow the PA to inflict greater attrition to the opposition in the war, but due to Indian manpower, their formations manage to occupy greater territory of strategic value, hence while we did great at the tactical level, the strategic outcome was a stalemate.

In my personal view, the purpose of LAT/HAT is primarily defensive, to plug vulnerable gaps and fend off enemy counterattacks. Hence their importance may be greater when deployed with holding divisions.

With the Strike Corps', the supporting infantry is to create bridgeheads into enemy territory for the armour. Remember the objectives of these formations lie in the most strategically vital places, hence capturing maximum territory, and holding on to them, is a very essential goal for the IDs, and they would be more capable to perform such tasks with adequate manpower. Shedding infantry would have consequences on the strategic outcome in the ops area.

I'm personally satisfied with the LAT/HAT deployment, but I agree that there can more efforts to improve survivability in hostile environment.

Gryphon's account of an event in 23 Div AoR is interesting, considering the use of a 4x4 would have been along the Tawi River axis. Don't our infantry units have an anti-tank platoon? Or was the certain unit equipped with RCLs for this role?

I've heard that they were meant for SF? Counter to the much vaunted CG?
Alcotan-AT (M2) is an unguided rocket - has neither the range nor the penetration power of a modern ATGM. Still, a useful weapon for the dismounted infantry against enemy T-72s & BMP-2s.

Better than having nothing but numbers are low.

There is possibly a new option from UAE if their new ATGM could be used in a ground launched role.
img_7096-jpg.589740

Back
Top Bottom