What's new

Yemen - ancient Arabia (Arabia Felix)

What? Saudis look different from each other as well. Nobody looks identical. I am not sure what you are up to? Both are Arabians and very identical on a lot of issues. I say this as a half Saudi and half Yemeni. We are like brothers and sisters. I know both countries very well. Anyway this is not a racial thread. If you are interested in the DNA of both nations then look it up. They are nearly identical and the closest to each other of all available options. This goes for all the Arabian Peninsula. This thread is supposed to be purely about pictures. Let's keep it like that.

img667 by Mark Schlegel, on Flickr

img670 by Mark Schlegel, on Flickr

Yemen, Socotra by Hoops&Yooyo, on Flickr

Yemen, Socotra Beach by Hoops&Yooyo, on Flickr

landscape wadi dirhir-dixam plateau, soqotra island, yemen by anthony pappone photographer, on Flickr

Aden, Yemen by Donna's eye, on Flickr

soqotra island-yemen by anthony pappone photographer, on Flickr

beautiful village with palm trees and mud-brick houses in the wadi Doan, tribal region of Hadramawt, northeast Yemen by anthony pappone photographer, on Flickr

6 by Andy Sudeten, on Flickr

swimming pool in natural rock at homhill, Soqotra Island, UNESCO, yemen by anthony pappone photographer, on Flickr

Yemen: Lever du jour sur le désert du Rub al khali. by claude gourlay, on Flickr

Soqotra168 by Alex Martin Ros, on Flickr

4175459275_d1c0f30a8a_b.jpg

Sultan's Palace in Shibam by hanming_huang, on Flickr

Haraz Mountains, Yemen by Karl O'Brien, on Flickr

Wadi Da'wan, Hadramawt by Karl O'Brien, on Flickr

Yemen is a very beautiful place and very hard working people. A majority of Saudi business class is of Yemeni origin and most dominant tribes of Saudi Arabia are also of Yemani origin. Despite being the grass root of Arabian civilization, Yemen is yet to secure a seat in GCC and have better economic integration with the gulf countries. Most of the Khaleeji's have step-brother attitude towards Yemen. This in contrast with Oman, which is largely an Iranic-Baluch country and shares barely anything in common with Arabs beside the language is already a full member of GCC.

I saw Yemenites look different from Saudis although both are Arabs.

I saw Keralities look different from Northies although both are Indians!

Thank you all for the beautiful comments. It is indeed correct. But let me add something somebozo. Yemen is not a Gulf country while Oman is. And Oman is still majority Arab and the Arabs in Oman are very closely related/tied to Yemenis. They are South Arabians as well. But this is all due to Yemen's unstable nature (unfortunately) and politics. Relations are really good still and KSA have helped Yemen many times. Not to mention the relations between the actual people.

Yes, it is very true that Yemenis are merchants/businessmen of nature. They are noted for this. Also remember that Yemenis traded and spread Islam from the shores of East Africa all the way to Indonesia. We have great ties to South Asia/South East Asia and East Africa due to those ancient relations that predate Islam with many centuries. Likewise there are millions of people who can trace their Arab roots to Yemen in Pakistan/India/Indonesia (especially), East Africa etc. Yemenis have been great explorers/sailors since ancient times likewise Omanis and to a lesser extent modern day Hejazis.

YemeN by CareWorn, on Flickr

Yemen, View from Kohlan by Hoops&Yooyo, on Flickr

Yemen, Al-Mahweet by Hoops&Yooyo, on Flickr

Yemen, View from Hajja by Hoops&Yooyo, on Flickr

The biggest question is, what's the secret recipe to make mandi?

The biggest question is, what's the secret recipe to make mandi?

:D

It is one of my favorite dishes and there a really a lot of ways to prepare this dish depending on the region in Yemen/KSA and obviously how the family/individual is used to prepare it. Some recipes are inherited from generation to generation. No kidding.

If you speak Arabic I can send you some videos and recipes if you want. Do you also eat this dish in Pakistan? I imagine this is the case given that Yemeni and Indian/Pakistan cuisine have influenced each other. Yemeni cuisine has dishes that makes it different from any other Arabic cuisine.

I will try and find more photos later but this will be all for now. You can use flickr or google to see more pictures. There are really a lot.:D

:D

It is one of my favorite dishes and there a really a lot of ways to prepare this dish depending on the region in Yemen/KSA and obviously how the family/individual is used to prepare it. Some recipes are inherited from generation to generation. No kidding.

If you speak Arabic I can send you some videos and recipes if you want. Do you also eat this dish in Pakistan? I imagine this is the case given that Yemeni and Indian/Pakistan cuisine have influenced each other. Yemeni cuisine has dishes that makes it different from any other Arabic cuisine.

I will try and find more photos later but this will be all for now. You can use flickr or google to see more pictures. There are really a lot.:D

Oh no, mandi is probably non-existent in Pakistan I guess(although I never tried searching) I'm guessing it has to do with the Pakistani love of powerful spices.
I've been to KSA, Oman, uae(mostly UAE) so I like mandi and Arabic/Persian foods, I admit I couldn't eat it on a daily basis but it's amazing once in a while :D
The first part of your reply clears a lot of my misconception, I guess it's the Arab worlds parallel to biryani(it's different in every city, province and even family lol) I thought its was the same thing and had one recipe.
For me mandi can be heavenly in one restaurant and bad in others, I'm guessing it has to do with regional tastes even among Arabs themselves.

What do you think the most basic possible mandi would be?

Another thing, tell me some words in Yemeni? Because every accent has a few unique words often

Yemeni food tastes really good, I have tried a bunch of dishes. I wish I remembered all the names. Also their tea is amazing. :D Sweet black with no milk necessary.

Military Forum Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom