What's new

Yemen's Socotra island granted province status

It is on my bucket list . There are so many endemic plant and animal species on that island that is amazing . It is equivalent to Galapagos Island in that regard .

It is on my bucket list . There are so many endemic plant and animal species on that island that is amazing . It is equivalent to Galapagos Island in that regard .

:tup:

Socotra and its islands and the Galapagos Islands are unique but I think that Socotra and its nearby islands have even more endemic animal and plant species. Just not as well-known. Those giant turtles on the Galapagos Islands are surely impressive.

As you know from past discussions (if you recall) it kind of reminds me of India's Andaman Islands. Not so much in terms of endemism but North Sentinel Island. I simply must see that island from either the sea or air.:enjoy:

I have been fortunate to travel a bit around the world but I am yet to visit places such as Socotra and its islands, Galapagos Islands, French Polynesia, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Papua New Guinea etc.

Last edited:
:tup:

Socotra and its islands and the Galapagos Islands are unique but I think that Socotra and its nearby islands have even more endemic animal and plant species. Just not as well-known. Those giant turtles on the Galapagos Islands are surely impressive.

As you know from past discussions (if you recall) it kind of reminds me of India's Andaman Islands. Not so much in terms of endemism but North Sentinel Island. I simply must see that island from either the sea or air.:enjoy:

I have been fortunate to travel a bit around the world but I am yet to visit places such as Socotra and its islands, Galapagos Islands, French Polynesia, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Papua New Guinea etc.

Andaman also is quite endemic but not so at the level of socotra or galapagos .

There is an island on far fringes of andaman known as narcondam . It is a small volcanic island which is home to this endemic bird Narcondam hornbills

08-n-hornbill2.jpg

Male-Narcondam-hornbill.jpg

Andaman also is quite endemic but not so at the level of socotra or galapagos .

There is an island on far fringes of andaman known as narcondam . It is a small volcanic island which is home to this endemic bird Narcondam hornbills

08-n-hornbill2.jpg

Male-Narcondam-hornbill.jpg

Haha, that bird is amazing.:enjoy: I have noticed that volcanic islands have a surprisingly rich animal and plant life. Must be due to the rich soil. In KSA there are about 1300 uninhabited islands and many of them are volcanic (all in the amazing Red Sea) and there are also rare animal life there. Especially birds.

KSA has 1,300 islands with no inhabitants | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

But my "fascination and interest" lies more in that North Sentinel Island.

Wow what a nice place !!
A True Paradise .Look at the colour of sea water
@al-Hasani .Nice picture friend. :tup:

Indeed it's really a place that you can call a paradise on earth. You are very welcome and you and @Cherokee , when you assume power in India, must allow me to visit North Sentinel Island (obviously only from the air or sea).:rofl::cheers:

Haha, that bird is amazing.:enjoy: I have noticed that volcanic islands have a surprisingly rich animal and plant life. Must be due to the rich soil. In KSA there are about 1300 uninhabited islands and many of them are volcanic (all in the amazing Red Sea) and there are also rare animal life there. Especially birds.

KSA has 1,300 islands with no inhabitants | Arab News — Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

But my "fascination and interest" lies more in that North Sentinel Island.

Indeed it's really a place that you can call a paradise on earth. You are very welcome and you and @Cherokee , when you assume power in India, must allow me to visit North Sentinel Island (obviously only from the air or sea).:rofl::cheers:

Of course .:enjoy:
But reception of inhabitants may be hot.
On 2 August 1981, the ship Primrose grounded on the North Sentinel Island reef. A few days later, crewmen on the immobile vessel observed that small black men were carrying spears and arrows and building boats on the beach. The captain of the Primrose radioed for an urgent drop of firearms so the crew could defend themselves, but did not receive them. Heavy seas kept the islanders away from the ship. After a week, the crew were rescued by a helicopter working under contract to the Indian Oil And Natural Gas Commission (ONGC). The Sentinelese apparently survived the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and its after-effects, including thetsunami and the uplifting of the island. Three days after the event, an Indian government helicopter observed several of them, who shot arrows and threw stones at the hovering aircraft with the apparent intent of repelling it.[1][6][11] Although the fishing grounds of the Sentinelese were disturbed, they appear to have adapted to the island's current conditions.[12]

On 26 January 2006, two fishermen were killed by Sentinelese when their boat drifted near the island.[13]

North Sentinel Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So like you said Air or Sea would be better :D

Of course .:enjoy:
But reception of inhabitants may be hot.
On 2 August 1981, the ship Primrose grounded on the North Sentinel Island reef. A few days later, crewmen on the immobile vessel observed that small black men were carrying spears and arrows and building boats on the beach. The captain of the Primrose radioed for an urgent drop of firearms so the crew could defend themselves, but did not receive them. Heavy seas kept the islanders away from the ship. After a week, the crew were rescued by a helicopter working under contract to the Indian Oil And Natural Gas Commission (ONGC). The Sentinelese apparently survived the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and its after-effects, including thetsunami and the uplifting of the island. Three days after the event, an Indian government helicopter observed several of them, who shot arrows and threw stones at the hovering aircraft with the apparent intent of repelling it.[1][6][11] Although the fishing grounds of the Sentinelese were disturbed, they appear to have adapted to the island's current conditions.[12]

On 26 January 2006, two fishermen were killed by Sentinelese when their boat drifted near the island.[13]

North Sentinel Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So like you said Air or Sea would be better :D

Yes, I have read about it, watched videos, read articles etc. about that island. I even once thought about contacting people who visited the island from air or sea. But I did not go to such "extremes".:sarcastic:

It's still amazing that you have such people living in our world. I mean they live like how our ancestors lived BEFORE the stone age. Similarly the uncontacted tribes in the Amazonas are interesting but those guys on that little island are even more so, IMO.

Time to visit India and of course Kerala and Western India which has had 5000 year old historical ties with the Arabian Peninsula and less so other areas of the Arab world.;)
Trade and cultural links between ancient Arabia and ancient India date back to third millennium BC.[1]

Heptulla, Nejma. Indo-West Asian relations: the Nehru era. Allied Publishers, 1991. ISBN9788170233404.

@levina will serve as a guide.:lol:

@Cherokee

That bird stills cracks me up every time I see it. Should use it as my avatar. Silly I know but laughter is healthy.:sarcastic:

08-n-hornbill2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have read about it, watched videos, read articles etc. about that island. I even once thought about contacting people who visited the island from air or sea. But I did not go to such "extremes".:sarcastic:

It's still amazing that you have such people living in our world. I mean they live like how our ancestors lived BEFORE the stone age. Similarly the uncontacted tribes in the Amazonas are interesting but those guys on that little island are even more so, IMO.

Time to visit India and of course Kerala and Western India which has had 5000 year old historical ties with the Arabian Peninsula and less so other areas of the Arab world.;)

@levina will serve as a guide.:lol:

@Cherokee

That bird stills cracks me up every time I see it. Should use it as my avatar. Silly I know but laughter is healthy.:sarcastic:

08-n-hornbill2.jpg
I'm not very adventurous :P
And am equally bad at guiding ppl...I constantly need GPS on the straightest of straight roads. :ashamed:

I'm not very adventurous :P
And am equally bad at guiding ppl...I constantly need GPS on the straightest of straight roads. :ashamed:

Really?

Yes, I forgot that you are a woman.:rofl: I am yet to meet one with a good sense of direction. Just joking.;)

Oh, I recall you telling me something similar once actually when you talked about your trip to Dhofar.:-)

You guys should protect that endemic bird, btw! It's unique and a source of good-minded laughter.;)

Really?

Yes, I forgot that you are a woman.:rofl: I am yet to meet one with a good sense of direction. Just joking.;)
How dare you??8-)
My sense of direction is better than a few men I know but Dubai-Sharajah roads can confuse best of the lot. :lol:
al-Hasani said:
Oh, I recall you telling me something similar once actually when you talked about your trip to Dhofar.:-)
Salalah?
Yeah...that day I somehow managed to do something which was atrociously stupid.:P
al-Hasani said:
You guys should protect that endemic bird, btw! It's unique and a source of good-minded laughter.;)
Hmm?
Whats so funny about that bird??:undecided:

And you know Chinese have come up with a "listening post" to intercept Indian communication with Mayanmar's coco islands in the area. So Indian government has allowed the forces to construct radar station on narcondam island.Now thats some bad news for the small population of these Narcondam hornbills living on the island. :(
Its sad...but can the country's security be put under jeopardy?

Last edited:
How dare you??8-)
My sense of direction is better than a few men I know but Dubai-Sharajah roads can confuse best of the lot. :lol:

Salalah?
Yeah...that day I somehow managed to something which was atrociously stupid.:P

Hmm?
Whats so funny about that bird??:undecided:

And you know Chinese have come up with "listening post" to intercept Indian communication with Mayanmar's coco islands in the area. So Indian government has allowed the forces the construct radar station on narcondam island.Now thats some bad news for the small population of these Narcondam hornbills living on the island. :(
Its sad...but can the country's security be put under jeopardy?

Yes, some men are as horrible.:lol: Indeed it can!

That's because that area of the Arabian Peninsula is less chaotic and more secluded.:)

It just looks funny and very unique. In a good way.

Yes, in our world today security, money and geopolitics often take prevalence before protecting the nature. It can be seen across the entire world and that's why the nature suffers this much. We should protect what is left of it. That's why I became angry when I read that proposition about building a new Guantanamo on Socotra although luckily it seems to be nothing more than a rumor. It was the reason why I put this old thread to live again.;)

I agree . It looks like some sort of weirdo :D

Nah, it's unique. I bet that it is part of this family of birds.;)

Hornbill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India is one of the 17 mega-diverse countries on this planet Megadiverse countries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think arabian peninsula or just yemen ( due to socorta Island) as a whole should be added in this list.

The problem is that neither the Arabian Peninsula nor the Arab world is one country anymore.:) If the Arabian Peninsula was 1 country it might have been added to the list. The Arab world without a doubt.

In Hijaz we have a hornbill bird too. Actually a few of them but they are not very common. Outside the African Grey Hornbill.

African grey hornbill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's less unique I would say but still funny in appearance too.

140mb6e.jpg

It's distribution range:

2j2g3nk.jpg

The Arabian Peninsula has a very, very rich bird life. We have millenniums old traditions involving birds, such as falconry etc. and many people have an interest in birds.

Actually many animals native to Africa can also be found on the Arabian Peninsula. But we lost many wild animals in recent centuries unfortunately such as lions, cheetah (now only some tiny populations have been introduced to the wild), the Arabian Leopard is highly endangered, the Arabian ostrich became extinct in the beginning of the 20th century and many other animals only found on the Arabian Peninsula have become extinct in the wild. India should do its best to protect its rich animal and plant life and I am sure that you guys are trying hard.:)

It's distribution range. Actually many animals native to Africa can also be found on the Arabian Peninsula. But we lost many wild animals in recent centuries unfortunately such as lions, cheetah (now only some tiny populations have been introduced to the wild), the Arabian Leopard is highly endangered, the Arabian ostrich became extinct in the beginning of the 20th century and many other animals only found on the Arabian Peninsula have become extinct in the wild. India should do its best to protect its animal and plant life and I am sure that you guys are trying hard.:)

We have somehow (thankfully)saved all our cats ( lion , tiger , clouded leopard , snow leopard ) except cheetahs but we are following a cheetah re-introduction program from past half a decade or so and its going good .

Our Tiger conservation program has been the most successful one but from past few years some asshole poachers are on a killing spree . I hope we will take them all down soon .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom