Homhil Plateau by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

Rosh Beach by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

Rosh by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

Rosh by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

Socotra Island by Yuliya Draganova, on Flickr

Haghier mountains, Socotra by Andy Sudeten, on Flickr

Socotra Island by Yuliya Draganova, on Flickr

Evening light over Socotra by Morten Ross, on Flickr

I am definetely in love with the Socotra archipelago and to think that it has some of the most unique biodiversity in the world is just the cherry on the cake. Apparently the locals are extremely kind and always have a smile around their faces. I would too if I lived on such paradise islands. Hardships or not. I an way I am happy that it is not a well-known destination. Fewer humans to destroy it eventually.

socotran-eagle-socotra-island-yemen-A7PADN.jpg

(The endemic Socotran Eagle) @JUBA remember bro? Mystery solved.

socotrian-shepherd-sitting-on-a-rock-hagghier-mountains-socotra-island-B614MH.jpg

dragon-blood-tree-overlooking-rocky-mountains-dixam-plateau-socotra-DYNDET.jpg

the-blue-lagoon-of-qalansiya-socotra-island-yemen-AT88PJ.jpg

homil-plateau-towards-the-east-coast-of-socotra-island-yemen-A7PACY.jpg

monsoon-clouds-over-the-hagghier-haggier-mountains-socotra-island-A5K65R.jpg

dragonblood-trees-on-the-homil-plateau-socotra-island-yemen-A7PACM.jpg

Last edited:
Yemen – Dragons in Socotra (1)

Published: 17/03/2015 | Documented: April 2014, March 2015
Categories: Middle East, Yemen

I visited a paradise recently. An island named Socotra, main piece of an eponym archipelago. Located between Yemen and Somalia as a natural gateway between the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, Socotra detached from the mainland Arabic peninsula long time ago. The archipelago is part of today’s Yemen, while perspiring a distinctive perfume.

Socotra in history
Socotra lures sailors, explorers, fishermen, traders, conquerors, military men, pirates and travelers since the Antiquity, owing to its strategic location, its natural endowments and indeed its raw and mystical beauty.

01-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

During the Antiquity, Arabs natives of the mainland peninsula north of Socotra, as well as Somalis, western neighbours in the Horn of Africa, settle in Socotra in significant numbers. Indians first, later Egyptians, Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans are other regular foreign visitors and even settlers in Socotra. Advised by Aristotle, Alexander the Great establishes an Ionian colony in the 4th century BCE. On his way to India, Apostle Thomas is shipwrecked in Socotra’s waters in 52 BCE. A community of Nestorian Christians develops in the island to fade slowly with the rise of Islam in the 7th century CE.

More recent history brings to Socotra limited influence from Portugal (15th century), and Great Britain (19-20th century) and then-USSR. However since the 16th century until 1967, Socotra remains essentially part of the Mahra Sultanate until its integration into South Yemen and later into modern-day’s Yemen.

The rise of Islam reorients and multiplies the sea routes around Socotra. Before the 7th century, Socotra is mainly a key stopover on the sea route between Egypt and Greece and the Indian subcontinent. Later on, Arabs from the mainland Arabic peninsula become more present in Socotra and used the island as a platform to explore and trade with east Africa. Black African slaves are eventually shipped to Socotra.

Dragon blood tree and phoenix
Socotra processed its multiple exposures to the outside world over the centuries into a rich socio-cultural blend of history and mythology.

Local legend has it that Cain and Abel are born in Socotra after their parents Adam and Eve have been expelled from the Garden of Eden. Cain and Abel are respectively farmer and lamb shepherd. Jealous about his younger brother, Cain treacherously murders Abel. As punishment, he is then cursed and marked for life by God. Abel’s blood spills into Socotra’s soil and gives birth to a peculiar vegetal essence – the dragon blood tree.

02-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Another local legend poses Socotra as home to the phoenix, drawing upon a mixture of Phoenician, Egyptian and Greek mythology. Every five centuries, the mythical bird burns a funeral pyre of dragon blood tree twigs and incense. A worm arises from the ashes and grow into the new phoenix. The young bird gathers then the ashes of his father and flies them to the Egyptian city of Heliopolis before returning to Socotra.

In a variant of the story above, the medicinal virtues of the Socotri dragon blood tree are known to the outside world as follow. Despaired of curing his severely-ill daughter, an Egyptian king in Heliopolis offers her hand to whoever could help recovering her good health. In love with the princess, a young man cures her illness with some precious resin of Socotra dragon blood tree that he has obtained through the phoenix. Grateful, the Egyptian king holds his word. The young couple marries eventually and lives happily.

Socotra astutely blurs the dividing lines between history and fiction. The Greek philosopher Plato evokes the fictional Atlantis in his dialogues between Timaeus and Critias. Fictional island? Not at all: Socotra is the remnant and the highest part of the submerged Atlantis, argues one researcher.

Far from me to attempt settling here the scientific controversy over the geographical location of the Atlantis, if it ever existed. In any case, the flora and to a lesser extent the fauna of Socotra are awesomely rich and specific. About one third of the vegetal species growing on the island are endemic – to be found nowhere else in the world.

Tracing dragons in Socotra’s highlands
With so many dragon blood trees, Socotra host presumably scores of dragons. I enquire on their whereabouts. There is no dragon in Socotra anymore, I am told locally. Incredulous as reportedly Apostle Thomas, I conclude that the Socotri dragons are on hide since quite a while. Hence, I decide to look for them first in Socotra’s highlands where dragon blood trees prosper.

Tracing the Socotra’s dragons requires extensive local knowledge, strong resilience, as well as adequate logistics. My local companions are the guide Eisa, seconded by Amir and Abdulrahman, the camel driver and his assistant. Not to mention Chira, a massive camel tasked to carry our food and camping equipment. Chira is ‘one hundred years old’, claims Amir who inherited the animal from his grandfather. Chira’s smily face and good mood are legendary in Socotra.

03-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Day 1

We are bound to spend fours days in the mountains. The trek starts early in the morning, but not early enough to escape the heat which is only marginally tempered by the cloudy sky. Never mind, the path goes stubbornly up and up. Following a long midday break, we reach our destination of the day by late afternoon. The mineral and vegetal scenery is grandiose, propitious to a memorable camping experience.

04-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

05-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

06-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Day 2

After a cold night under the stars, the morning’s light only confirms the stunning beauty of the landscape. Eisa and myself continue up to the highest mountains of the island in Haigar area, while the Chira and its drivers will pursue their journey on the other side of the pass.

07-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

07-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

Socotra’s highlands are located in the centre of the island. Bedouins sparsely populate the mountainous area. They rear goats, sheep and cattle for meat and milk, and donkeys as pack animals. Animal husbandry is far more than just the main activity and the main form of economic asset of the Bedouins. Animals constitute their passion and their pride.

09-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

After a speedy trekking straight up, we reach Haggier area – the highest point in Socotra. This is a grandiose decor indeed. Local shepherds stop their cow milking session to welcome us with milk tea. Don’t even try to decline sipping the heavy and sweet drink. Local custom would consider it as an offense.

10-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

13-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

The young Bedouins spend the summer there, banking on fine weather and abundant vegetation to feed their cattle and goats. They live in very basic conditions. The area hosts also permanently dozens of Bedouin families who live in a scattered pattern typical of pastoralists. Complex traditional rules define the smooth management of livestock, the access to pasture as well as the water and dry season fodders.

12-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

12-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

One Bedouin approach us to sell a young goat. Despite a long negotiation carried out while sipping a milk tea, the deal is not reached. I am relieved, uneasy with the idea to kill that kid for our food. We will keep eating our canned tuna fish.

14-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

We push up to the verge of the cliff overlooking Hadibo. One of the young Bedouins confesses longing to return to Hadibo, Socotra’s capital, where he lives most of the time. Short of mobile phone, he’s offered a phone call to his family in Hadibo by my guide Eisa from this breathtaking location. Unlike the rest of Haggier mountain range, the very verge of the cliff is connected to the cellular phone network.

15-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

We leave Haggier area soon after, as there is no visible or reported trace of the dragons there. Never mind, it was a great Bedouin experience.

16-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

Eisa and I run down to the pass where we spent the night, cutting short meanders of the path and jumping rocks. However, there is always the time to enjoy the beautiful landscape.

16-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Once in the pass, we grab some water left by our camel drivers and pursue down into the valley to catch them up. The junction is made shortly before midday in an unbearable heat. A bath in the river cools me down, while the lunch boost my hunting spirit.

18-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

In the afternoon, we have a long, long trek in a tortuous valley until sunset. Tomorrow we will cross an area full of dragon blood trees, announces my guide.

Day 3

On the next morning, the collective mood of the team is high, except for Chira indeed. Every time the path runs upwards, the camel turns slow, screaming loud despite panting for breath. There are good reasons for Chira’s uncooperative behavior indeed. The mountainous terrain is not exactly the favourite environment of a camel. However, stopping here and there, the pack animal makes its way to the top, guided and stimulated by his driver Amir.

17-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

18-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

19-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

On the other side of the mountain opens up a valley covered with dragon blood trees. A vegetal festival of venerable representatives of Dracaena cinnabari. The dragon blood tree grows very slowly. Young trees are highly vulnerable to grazing by goats and other grazing animals. This is why the dragon blood tree is best found in remote and inaccessible locations. The umbrella-shaped vegetal crown helps the dragon blood tree coping with the arid and rocky soil typical of mountaintops.

22-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

22-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

All of the sudden, Eisa and I come across a stone tainted with dragon blood – an irrefutable piece of evidence of the presence of the wild and elusive animal in the area. Dragons, here they are!

23-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

The red resin of the dragon blood tree is used in multiple forms: as a cure-all medicine primarily, but also to dye wool, to glue pottery or as cosmetics including lipstick, not to mention ritual magic and alchemy. Furthermore, the red resin of the dracaena cinnabari is used as a varnish component by Italian violinmakers since the late Renaissance. Yes, your Stradivarius is most probably varnished with Socotri dragon blood.

Nearby, a beautiful specimen of aloe vera shines to my eyes. No need to expose here the medicinal and cosmetic virtues of aloe. The merits of aloe vera are also scientifically challenged to a certain extent.

23-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

The valley hosts also beautiful frankincense trees – another natural endowment and a traditional economic resource of Socotra. Those are much larger than the ones that I saw in Oman. By the way, the etymology of Socotra derives most probably from the Arabic/Socotri words ‘suq’ and ‘qotra’, meaning ‘market of dripping frankincense’.

21-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

25-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Socotra’s dragon trees face a growing climatic threat: the gradual drying out of the archipelago over the last centuries, against which the bottle trees below are best prepared to resist. As its name suggests, the bottle tree is hollow, in order to store water during the monsoon seasons.

My camera soon falls in love with the odd but wise vegetal specie daring the most improbable trunk shapes. Despite their belly shape, those specimens pose elegantly in front of my camera, all the more adorned with delicate pastel flowers.

29-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

30-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

31-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

32-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

26-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Pursuing our search, we reach our camping site in late evening, right on a small sandbank of a riverbed. I do not have a memorable souvenir of that night, unfortunately. A young goat is purchased locally, killed and grilled for our dinner.

Day 4

We start our forth and last day of tracing dragons in Socotra’s highlands. I collected so far no evidence of their presence, except for a large stone tainted with some of their blood. My guide Eisa and myself split again from the camel Chira and its drivers in order to reach quickly the high plateau of Farmhin. As the plateau hosts thousands of dragon blood trees, it is likely to hide the elusive wild animals as well.

From the bottom of the valley, we cross a palm tree plantation before engaging into the stiff mountainous slope. The path is as dry up as the surrounding landscape. The sun hits hard, despite the early hours of the morning. We finally reach Firmhin plateau. Crossing the rather flat area takes us hours, during which I cross too many dragon blood trees, but no dragon.

30-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

However, I am lucky enough to spot and approach the famous phoenix. More curious than shy or afraid, the mythical bird invites me to climb onto the dragon blood tree where it rests. Asked on the whereabouts of Socotra’s dragons, the bird replies elusively that they hide where barely anyone would expect to be. ‘I crisscrossed the highlands to no avail’, I complain. ‘Then look for them on the northern seashore’, whispers finally the phoenix before vanishing in the air.

31-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

At least the phoenix confirmed me that Socotra still hosts dragons, I think. And the island has so many charming locations to enjoy. Anticipating the end of the four-day trek as we approach the seaside, even the irritable Chira feels happy. Me too. Further down in Derhur canyon, I don’t resist jumping into a colourful pond.

37-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

38-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

39-Socotra-Dragon-2015-3.jpg

The call of Socotra’s shores is now stronger. We set off again, not long before reaching a beautiful natural pool with a stunning sea view.

40-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

The refreshing bath also sharpens my hunting spirit. Starting from tomorrow, I will trace Socotra’s dragons along the northern shores of the main island.

To be continued,

COUPS D'OEIL ET COUPS DE PLUME Yemen - Dragons in Socotra (1) - COUPS D'OEIL ET COUPS DE PLUME

Yemen – Dragons in Socotra (2)
Published: 18/03/2015 | Documented: April 2014, March 2015
Categories: Middle East, Yemen

Following a long tracing journey in Socotra’s highlands, I pursue my search for the dragons those blood feed and name the famous dragon blood trees. A phoenix met incidentally in the mountains advised me to look for them along the northern shore of the island. Here we are.

41-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Tracing dragons on Socotra’s seashore
As we reach the shore, I feel further regenerated by the stunning sea scenery: wild and pure, raw and authentic. Spotting a young fisherman, I am fascinated by his technical skills despite his very basic equipment. Pulling his nylon string back and forth, he plays an inaudible but fascinating music with the elegance of a harpist.

42-Socotra-Dragon-20142.jpg

44-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

45-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

46-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

43-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

I engage him: ‘Do you know where the dragons are hiding?’ He nods his head negatively, while looking west along the coast… Thanks.

At sunset, we reach a former seaport and pursue to a lonely and deliciously sandy beach, where we spend a memorable open sky night. There is nothing like the stars and the full moon as bed ceiling indeed.

Awake in the wee morning hours, I feel tempted to board and set up in a derelict wooden pirogue. No, I need better transportation to reach the western part of the shore.

47-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

48-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

49-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

After a long overland trip, we reach Qalansiyah, the second largest town in Socotra. We head to the nearby Detwah beach. ‘A nice one’, announces my guide Eisa. The immensity and the raw beauty of the soft sand baked with sunlight and bathed in water leave me standing still and speechless. You will certainly agree that there are good reasons for that.

50-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

Detwah provides a superb venue for beach football indeed. I approach the contenders with care, eager not to disrupt the hotly disputed play. Busy, the local boys barely pay attention to my presence.

51-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

52-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

Tempted to enquire about the sought-after dragons, but I finally don’t. Those boys are too young to know, I conclude. I was most probably wrong.

53-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

54-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

On my way to the Detwah lagoon, I hint at a curious series of small ponds, obviously tainted with dragon’s blood. Dragons are getting closer.

55-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

56-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

56-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

Meeting dragons

We spend a beautiful evening and night in Detwah lagoon. Thus, I feel a bit tense on the morning. Today is the last day of my stay in the island and hence my last opportunity to find Socotra’s dragons. We board a fisherman pirogue to explore the costal line further west of Qalansiyah.

58-Socotra-Dragon-20141.jpg

Above the pristine seawater, the eroded cliffs present a lunar landscape full of anfractuosities and caves – propitious to hide, I think immediately.

59-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

60-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

On our marine way, we meet numbers of fishermen standing on the bottom of the cliffs and keen to exhibit their modest fish catch of the day. One of them, thirsty, asks for drinking water. I send him my bottle, enquiring also whether there is any chance for us to spot the dragons. ‘Continue for just a mile further west, and look into the water’, he replies with a smiling face.

61-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

62-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Ahead of us, a large and moving bank of dolphins boils the water with their races, meanders, u-turns and springs well above the sea level. I look incredulously at the dolphins, searching for more exotic creatures amongst them. The fisherman, who had kept quiet since our departure, looks at me and blinks his eyes to confirm my awakening: yes, those are Socotra’s dragons!

63-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

We roam with our boat around the hundreds of dolphins, before jumping into the water to be more fully part of this surreal moment. Beside the dolphins, thousands of exotic fishes move gently in a complex and coordinated choreography, as they would be in a gigantic aquarium. A magical moment that neither pictures nor words can translate adequately.

64-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

I don’t remember exactly when and how we left the location to board an immense sandy beach to rest from our intense emotions. My sight and my mind loose gradually acuity, catching only blurred and esoteric pictures.

65-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

Shuab beach
The boatman sets off to our final destination, Shuab beach. I feel exhausted but immensely happy. My reasoning capacity resurfaces gradually. How come didn’t I think about it earlier? The gradual drying out of Socotra and the human population growth on the island made the life of the dragons in the highlands too challenging.

Consequently and with the help of the phoenix, dragons turned into sea dragons disguised in dolphins to continue living quietly in Socotra archipelago. Socotri people, who refrain from fishing dolphins anyway, know about the mutation of their dragons and have extended their fishing embargo to them indeed.

66-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

Back to practicalities, a fisherman invites me in Shuab to follow his hunt. Equipped solely with a hand net, the young man demonstrates me how to launch the net so that it unfolds fully and evenly. He folds the net only in a matter of seconds. I admire the purity of his gestures, incapable to imitate them. Technology-fond modernity has already lost tremendous amounts of traditional know-how, I conclude.

67-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

The fisherman is no more on a mock exercise. Feet into seawater, he explores visually the surroundings of semi-immerged rocks were sea life is prone to hide. His sight is as astonishing as his gestures. He catches a couple of enormous calamari on his second net launch. The male expires loudly in a cloud of ink expelled by his body. Fishing is not over, clarifies the fisherman. A couple of hundreds of meters away, he enters more deeply into water, observes and launches his net again.

68-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

The sea hunter comes back soon to the shore, the net loaded with scores of small silver fishes. Helping him to remove the catch from the net, I count no less than fifty fishes.

69-Socotra-Dragon-2015.jpg

Three net launches in twenty minutes, harnessing two calamari and fifty silver fishes. Who claimed that traditional fishing is not viable? It is but with measure indeed.

Back in Qalansiyah, I chat with an old man cleaning and slicing a big fish, telling him about my enthusiastic experience of the day. He stops working, raises his sight to me and says: ‘Feel happy and blessed about it.’

70-Socotra-Dragon-2014.jpg

In the Antiquity, Indians refer to Socotra as the ‘Island of Bliss’ in their Sanskrit language, while Egyptians call it the ‘Island of the Genie’. Now comes your turn: visit, appreciate and respect Socotra – its natural environment, its people and their mythology.

Cheers,

COUPS D'OEIL ET COUPS DE PLUME Yemen - Dragons in Socotra (2) - COUPS D'OEIL ET COUPS DE PLUME

Truly an heaven on earth.

Yes, the vast majority are Yemeni Arabs. Then you have Southern Semitic natives who speak the Soqotri language which belongs to the Modern Southern Arabian language family.

Modern South Arabian languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Soqotri language is distinctive though but closely related to the Mehri language.

Soqotri language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are also minorities of Afro-Arabs, Somalians and 100 or 200 Indians.

But of course people have mixed. Some of the Soqotri people look very distinctive for that reason.

Yes, it is. It will increase the awareness of the treasure that is Socotra and improve the tourism sector. Hopefully without putting the unique natural life in jeopardy.
it was better that you have started the thread by this post and then posted picture about the tree and animals of the island

sweet place s
thanks for the share it is really a beautiful place amazing and good place to live in peace

AGENCE FRANCE PRESSE | Published — Wednesday 7 December 2016

gr_yemen.jpg

ADEN: Around 40 people were missing off the Yemeni island of Socotra on Wednesday after a cargo vessel carrying islanders home from the mainland sank in the Indian Ocean, authorities said.​

Nineteen people were rescued from the water after a major search operation was launched in the early hours, Yemeni Fisheries Minister Fahd Kavieen told reporters.
The first two survivors were rescued by a passing Austrian vessel and an Australian ship, the government’s sabanew.com website reported.
Kavieen did not give details of how the others were rescued.
Although long ruled from Yemen, Socotra lies closer to the coast of Africa than it does to the Arabian Peninsula.
The waters around the island lie at the exit of a busy shipping lane from the Mediterranean through the Suez Canal and the Red Sea into the Indian Ocean.
For years it was prey to piracy from the lawless coast of nearby Somalia and it is now one of the most heavily patrolled sea areas in the world.
Kavieen did not specify whether warships of the international counter-piracy operation were taking part in the search for survivors.
He said that the ship had been missing for five days and its sinking had been confirmed on Tuesday.
“The search is ongoing,” he said. “Vessels have been combing the area since the early hours and there is significant hope that the passengers have survived.”
The Yemeni mainland has been ravaged by conflict for the past two years disrupting transport links to the archipelago.
The port of Mukalla, from which the freighter departed for the islands, was controlled by Al-Qaeda for a full year until April.
Air links to Socotra from elsewhere in Yemen have been virtually halted as the beleaguered government has battled rebels who still control the capital.
There are no regular passenger ferries either, forcing islanders to seek berths on the occasional cargo vessel.
Throughout the devastating conflict that has pitted forces loyal to President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi against Shiite rebels and their allies, Socotra has remained loyal to his Saudi-backed government and has been spared the fighting.
The island has enormous tourism potential which has never been realized because of the repeated conflicts that have gripped Yemen.
Its isolation from the landmasses of both Africa and Asia has led to the evolution of unique plant life, much of it found nowhere else on earth.
Among the most renowned is the dragon’s blood tree, a bizarre umbrella-shaped species that earned its name from its blood-red sap which was much sought after as a dye in the ancient world.
Persistent unrest in the nearby Horn of Africa has meant that the waters around Socotra have seen a steady flow of Ethiopian and Somali migrants ready to risk the perilous sea crossing in the hope of reaching Yemen’s energy-rich Gulf neighbors.
At least 79 people have perished while attempting to cross the Gulf of Aden this year, the UN refugee agency said.

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1020556/middle-east

:(

إِنَّا للهِ وَإِنَّـا إِلَيْهِ رَاجِعونَ‎‎

'THE MOST ALIEN-LOOKING PLACE ON EARTH'
Socotra island in Yemen inhabits plants up to 20 MILLION years old and resembles something from a sci-fi film

The remote location in the Indian Ocean is home to around 800 rare species of plant life, many of which don't appear anywhere else in the world

PICTURED
By HAYLEY RICHARDSON
11th August 2016, 3:18 pm

IT looks like something out of a sci-fi film, but this barren island is actually 250km off the coast of the Arabian Peninsula in the Indian Ocean.

Socotra, dubbed the ‘most alien-looking place on earth’, has been separated from the mainland for between six and seven million years.

Socotra is part of Yemen and a small archipelago of four islands in the Indian Ocean
The other-worldly island is part of Yemen and home to around 800 species of rare fauna and flora – about a third of which grow nowhere else in the world.

This is mainly down to its unique tropical desert and semi-desert climate, characterised by an average temperature of 25°C and barely any rain.

Sandy beaches, limestone caves and imposing mountains dominate the landscape, as well as its distinctly unusual plants.

It’s landscape is dominated by sandy beaches and unusual plant life

Many of the species that grow on the island are native to Socotra

Socotra was named a Unesco World Heritage Site in 2008
According to Bill’s Corner, the island’s trees and plants, some of which are as old as 20 million years, have evolved to suit its harsh climate.

Just Hawaii, the Galapagos Islands and New Caledonia host more endemic species, according to botanical field surveys led by the Centre for Middle Eastern Plants – part of the Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh.

The department discovered 307 out of the 825 plant species could be found nowhere else on the planet other than Socotra.

Around 44,000 people live on the island, which has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site and only got its first roads five years ago.

Socotra is home to the distinctive dragon’s blood tree, called Dracaena cinnabari

A Persian Carpet Flower is just one of the stunning plants that inhabit the remote island

Though it's part of the Republic of Yemen, some believe its name comes from the Sanskrit - a sacred language of Hinduism - for 'blissful island'.

Socotra was once part of the super continent of Gondwana but became detached during the Miocene period.

As well as its exotic plants, including the distinctive dragon's blood tree with its umbrella-shaped canopy, is home to 140 species of birds.

Out of these, 10 are native to Socotra and can't be found anywhere else.

A flowering Bottle Tree (Adenium obesum) on the plateau of Dixam, Socotra

Out of the 825 plant species on the island, 307 are found nowhere else on the planet other than Socotra

Socotra’s trees and plants, some of which are as old as 20 million years, have evolved to suit its harsh climate
These include the Socotra starling, sunbird, bunting and golden-winged grosbeak, though many are endangered due to the threat of hunting by non-native feral cats.

While none of its amphibians are native to the island, 90 per cent of reptiles living there are endemic to Socotra.

These range from the rare skinks, legless lizards and a species of chameleon.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/159...d-and-resembles-something-from-a-sci-fi-film/

34e4vvm.jpg

2agowfq.jpg

2e36gbb.jpg

2eyc0b9.jpg

9hj5ns.jpg

awe49.jpg

1zojc4x.jpg

294tev8.jpg

Russian roots and Yemen's Socotra language

Socotri's origins are close to the oldest written Semitic tongues that died out thousands of years ago.

by Mansur Mirovalev

Moscow, Russia - The Semitic language spoken by more than 50,000 inhabitants of Yemen's Socotra island is a linguistic time machine.

Socotri is the most archaic and isolated of several archaic and isolated tongues spoken in Yemen and Oman known as "modern South Arabian languages". Its vocabulary is immensely rich - for example, there are distinct verbs for "to go" according to the time of the day, or for "to give birth" depending on the animal involved.

Socotri's roots are close to the oldest written Semitic tongues that died out thousands of years ago - and it has grammatical features that no longer exist in Arabic, Hebrew or Aramaic. The study of Socotri helps understand the deep, prehistoric past - and the subsequent evolution - of all Semitic tongues.

"This is a very archaic linguistic and literary system that in many ways, I think, has preserved what we, the scholars, are used to perceive as the Biblical world or the ancient Arabic world," Leonid Kogan, professor of Semitic languages at Moscow's Institute for Oriental and Classical Studies, told Al Jazeera.

"All of it is very much alive on today's Socotra."

Then how is it that Socotri's first alphabet was invented five millennia after the cuneiform tablets in Akkadian - the first written Semitic tongue - and it happened some 5,000km north of Socotra, in Russia's Moscow?

A neglected tongue

Driven by greed, curiosity, and monsoon winds, countless sailors and merchants have for centuries passed through Socotra, a major trading hub between the Gulf of Aden and the Horn of Africa.

But the language of its inhabitants - fishermen, semi-nomadic herders, and date-palm growers - remained off scholars' radar.

Medieval Arab travellers who reached the distant corners of Europe, Indonesia, and sub-Saharan Africa - describing dozens of ethnic groups and the tongues they spoke - wrote next to nothing about Socotri and its linguistic siblings, although they realised the radical difference of the language from Arabic and its tantalising complexity.

"Despite historical contacts and a common culture, there is no mutual understanding between native speakers of Arabic and native speakers of any" modern South Arabic languages, wrote Marie-Claude Simeone-Senelle, a French expert on Socotran folklore.

Western linguists "discovered" Socotri in the early 19th century, and thought the Biblical Queen of Sheba (the Quranic Bilqis) spoke it.

Austrian orientalist David Heinrich Muller used the Arabic script to write down several examples of their oral poetry in 1889, but modern Socotrans have trouble understanding them now.

Southern Yemen became a socialist, pro-Moscow state in 1970.

Huge red stars appeared on public buildings as the nation's leaders adopted Marxist ideology and tried to de-Islamise the nation.

Russia-Yemen ties go back to 1970 when Yemen became a socialist, pro-Moscow state [AP]
Strategically located Socotra hosted a Soviet military base, which meant Soviet scholars had unlimited access to the island's historic and linguistic treasure trove.

Russians step in

One of them was Vitaly Naumkin, an acclaimed Arabist and the current head of Moscow's Institute of Oriental and Classical Studies. For several decades, he studied Socotran ethnology, archaeology, and linguistics and painstakingly classified Socotri's extremely complicated and diverse grammar.

His team also invited Socotri-speaking "informants" to Moscow - where they spent months retelling their mother island's oral poetry and folk tales, or conjugating verbs for the Socotri grammar tables.

There, in 2010, one of the informants named 'Isa Gum'an used the Arabic script to write down a story he'd heard from a friend.

"It was our major surprise … when one November evening in 2010, 'Isa Gum'an somewhat timidly revealed to us that, in order to better preserve an interesting story he had heard from a friend a few days earlier, he had decided to put it in writing using Arabic script," Naumkin wrote in the preface to the 2014 book of Socotran folklore.

The eureka moment prompted the invention of an easily accessible Socotri alphabet based on the Arabic script. To reflect the phonetics of Socotri, Russian linguists decided to add four letters to the Arabic alphabet - using symbols that denote non-Arabic phonemes in the languages of the Indian subcontinent.

Socotran folklore helps understand many themes, literary features of written ancient Semitic traditions - the Old Testament, Ugaritic epics, and even Assyro-Babylonian, Mesopotamian literature.

Leonid Kogan, Institute for Oriental and Classical Studies​

But it was not the use of the Arabic script and additional symbols that make the new alphabet matter - it is the comprehensive scientific effort that followed it.

"One should not overemphasise the importance of these additional symbols, that, after all, are not that hard to invent," Kogan said.

"What is really important and challenging is the general concept of Socotri as a written, standardised literary language. That's what we call 'the new Socotri writing system', and that's the most complicated, most controversial task."

The new script was shown to Socotri speakers who had no difficulties reading it.

It also "has enabled the direct, active and creative involvement of Socotrans in the linguistic investigation of their mother tongue, allowing them to check, approve and, not infrequently, correct the work of Western researchers collaborating with them", Naumkin wrote.

Together with several scholars from his institute, in 2014, Naumkin published a 750-page book with Socotran folklore that utilised the new alphabet and contained Arabic and English translations of the texts.

Part two of the compendium is to be published this year.

Roots and ties

Although the Socotri language was isolated, the folklore was not. Some of its themes are similar to those found among Algerian Berbers, in India, Africa, and Europe.

"There is an absolutely obscene plot that has distinct parallels with the Dravidian [folklore] of Middle India and [the speakers of] Mofo-Gudur near Lake Chad," Yuri Berezkin, professor of anthropology at the European University in St Petersburg, told Al Jazeera.

"This could be traced to early Asian-African contacts of the 2nd-1st millennia BC, but could be later."

But more importantly, it still retains some themes that date back to the dawn of human civilisation and religions in the Middle East.

"Socotran folklore helps understand many themes, literary features of written ancient Semitic traditions - the Old Testament, Ugaritic epics, and even Assyro-Babylonian, Mesopotamian literature," Kogan said. "And vice versa, a trained philologist acquainted with those traditions is capable to see the world of Socotra from a completely different, unexpected angle."

Arabisation or synthesis?

Socotra, dubbed by some as "the Indian Ocean's Galapagos", is famed for its landscapes, blood trees, plants that produce frankincense, and hundreds of endemic life forms - some of which face extinction.

Socotri is just as endemic - but is it endangered?

After the fall of the pro-Soviet government and Yemen's reunification in 1990, the southerners were reintroduced to Islam, largely thanks to neighbouring Saudi Arabia. Socotrans were especially zealous to learn proper Islamic practises - and overcome the stigma of a "backwards" people, Kogan said.

But the Islamisation did not bring about Arabisation, something that has been happening in the Middle East for centuries with the gradual conversion of those who spoke Aramaic, Coptic, and Berber languages.

Socotrans do adopt political, technical, and religious terms from Arabic, but their language stands strong.

"What we are able to see now is a rather harmonious synthesis, and there are good chances that Socotra and Socotris find their appropriate place in a broad Arab and Islamic context without getting rid of most of their - to be sure, highly esteemed and cherished - traditional values," said Kogan.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fe...s-yemen-socotra-language-150308083716499.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom