What's new

Yemen's Socotra island granted province status

Would love to visit Socotra once things improve in Yemen. I think the only flight to Socotra is from Sanaa, and there is no other way to get there for a tourist.

We have somehow (thankfully)saved all our cats ( lion , tiger , clouded leopard , snow leopard ) except cheetahs but we are following a cheetah re-introduction program from past half a decade or so and its going good .

Our Tiger conservation program has been the most successful one but from past few years some asshole poachers are on a killing spree . I hope we will take them all down soon .

Yes, I think that we talked about this long ago or at least I did with some Indian users and I was impressed with what I was told. Then I also read a bit about the wild lions of Gujarat province (I think it lies in Western India next to the Arabian Sea) and the successful conservation policy. Keep the good work up.:tup:

There are quite many national parks in KSA (some of them huge) and some executing projects have also been put in place in recent years but still much more could be done.

See post 69 in this thread below or visit this thread below as well;

Tourist visas to be introduced in KSA | Page 5

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos

Would love to visit Socotra once things improve in Yemen. I think the only flight to Socotra is from Sanaa, and there is no other way to get there for a tourist.

Yes, I am not aware of any other method of getting there. Unless with ship/boat etc. but I am not aware of any commercial cruise ships that are doing such a thing currently. Especially not as this part of the Arabian Sea suffers from Somalian pirates. In fact it even affects the Seychelles not "that" long from Socotra. I even once heard about small problems of piracy all the way in the Comoros which is in the Southern Hemisphere and the only Arab country located south of the equator. Actually it's probably a good thing as mass-tourism would probably have a bad effect on the animal life. It's isolated location is an advantage on that front. Just like with the Galapagos Islands and many other unique places on the planet.

stunning, love the colour of the water and what insane alien vegetation.

stunning, love the colour of the water and what insane alien vegetation.

Yes, it's really one of the most beautiful and unique places on the planet without a doubt. I hope that it stays relatively secluded and that the nature will not suffer or its welcoming people.

Socotra: The Most Bizarre Island on Earth

Socotra - Pictures, More From National Geographic Magazine

The Alien Beauty of Socotra
- Photo Essays - TIME

A few photos I posted recently in this thread below. The reason why I revived this thread and that news about a possible "Guantanamo Base" on Socotra.

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos | Page 31

1_socotra.jpg
by Miguel Garces, on Flickr

by
jennyfbailey, on Flickr

Amazing photo really. Yes, that is the clear blue ocean in the background and what we see is a sand dune. The contrast of colors is amazing on that picture IMO.

by
appletvfeed, on Flickr

by
socotraguide, on Flickr

by
kingamesaros, on Flickr

by
socotraguide, on Flickr

by
uleilaphotography, on Flickr

by
Dany Eid, on Flickr

by
trekkup, on Flickr

by
luca marella, on Flickr

@ranjeet

I help you visit Socotra and in return you help me visit the North Sentinel Island mate.:lol:;)

Last edited:

Another Galapagos
Located off the coast of Yemen in the Indian Ocean, the island of Socotra contains some of the world's most astonishing and unique plant forms. More than a third of the 800 or so species on the island are found nowhere else on earth.

Dragon's Blood Tree
Found only on the island's plateaus, this plant was christened the dragon's blood tree by traders who believed that its crimson sap was actual dragon's blood with medicinal properties.

Populace
Because the island belongs to Yemen, a country with very strict regulations regarding travel, Socotra draws very few tourists. Even the most adventurous travelers are deterred by the country's association with radical Islam.

The Socotran Fig
This sample of Dorstenia gigas has grown against a limestone rock face. The plant supposedly does not need soil to grow.

Granite Peaks
The island was recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as a Natural World Heritage Site in July 2008.

Lush
In ancient times, Socotra's various endemic aloes, like Aloe perryi, above, were used in medicines and for cosmetics.

Cave
Monsoon rains have cut through the island's limestone to create an elaborate network of gigantic caves, some of which can be explored.

Desert Rose Tree
The cliff-dwelling Adenium obesum has shiny, rubbery bark, which thins gradually and splits into skeletal branches, from whose tips fragile pink flowers erupt.

Matrix
Despite Socotra's isolation, its plant life is under threat from human encroachment, imported flora and fauna and, some scientists say, climate change. Alarmingly, recent reports suggest there have been no new natural saplings of the dragon's blood tree.

Potential
Strapped for cash and aware of the island's uniqueness, Yemeni authorities are working to find ways to increase eco-tourism to Socotra. "Socotra is the safest island in Yemen," says a tourism official. "We have never had any security issues there. People think Yemen is dangerous, but hearing the news is not the same as seeing for yourself."

- Photo Essays - TIME

@Roybot @ranjeet @Cherokee @levina @gau8av @sreekumar
@WebMaster

Could you please change the title of this thread to "Socotra - the most alien looking place on the planet".

Thank you.:D

Last edited:

Another Galapagos
Located off the coast of Yemen in the Indian Ocean, the island of Socotra contains some of the world's most astonishing and unique plant forms. More than a third of the 800 or so species on the island are found nowhere else on earth.

Dragon's Blood Tree
Found only on the island's plateaus, this plant was christened the dragon's blood tree by traders who believed that its crimson sap was actual dragon's blood with medicinal properties.

Populace
Because the island belongs to Yemen, a country with very strict regulations regarding travel, Socotra draws very few tourists. Even the most adventurous travelers are deterred by the country's association with radical Islam.

The Socotran Fig
This sample of Dorstenia gigas has grown against a limestone rock face. The plant supposedly does not need soil to grow.

Granite Peaks
The island was recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) as a Natural World Heritage Site in July 2008.

Lush
In ancient times, Socotra's various endemic aloes, like Aloe perryi, above, were used in medicines and for cosmetics.

Cave
Monsoon rains have cut through the island's limestone to create an elaborate network of gigantic caves, some of which can be explored.

Desert Rose Tree
The cliff-dwelling Adenium obesum has shiny, rubbery bark, which thins gradually and splits into skeletal branches, from whose tips fragile pink flowers erupt.

Matrix
Despite Socotra's isolation, its plant life is under threat from human encroachment, imported flora and fauna and, some scientists say, climate change. Alarmingly, recent reports suggest there have been no new natural saplings of the dragon's blood tree.

Potential
Strapped for cash and aware of the island's uniqueness, Yemeni authorities are working to find ways to increase eco-tourism to Socotra. "Socotra is the safest island in Yemen," says a tourism official. "We have never had any security issues there. People think Yemen is dangerous, but hearing the news is not the same as seeing for yourself."

- Photo Essays - TIME

@Roybot @ranjeet @Cherokee @levina @gau8av
@WebMaster

Could you please change the title of this thread to "Socotra - the most alien looking place on the planet".

open it up for tourism already !*

hate to see it spoilt by too much, but a controlled programme allowing at least a few groups at a time would be nice.

beautiful ! :tup:

open it up for tourism already !*

hate to see it spoilt by too much, but a controlled programme allowing at least a few groups at a time would be nice.

beautiful ! :tup:

Yes, it is a delicate balance between preserving the unique nature and opening up for large-scale tourism (economic reasons) which could potentially damage the same unique nature. Socotra is the "Galapagos Islands" of the East. Not sure what the situation is in the Galapagos Islands regarding tourism. I do not think that it is large-scale tourism either. Besides it's located at a very isolated spot on the planet.

In fact Yemen, if it was a stable country which it is not unfortunately, could be a tourism magnet as it is a unique country with stunning varied landscapes, architecture, a lot of historical artifacts and monuments and a ancient history. All visitors have called it a unique country. That might be a cliché but Yemen really is a unique country. Everything from the landscapes to the architecture to the "feel" of that country. It's really the "old Arabia" still intact in all its glory and weaknesses.

Anyway I believe that India is also restricting visitors to the Andaman Islands which I also believe is a good thing in order to protect that place and its natural fauna etc.

If it has any interest then I have covered Socotra 2-3 times in this thread below too and you can see quite a lot of photos of Yemen as well and the Arabian Peninsula and Arab world as a whole.:coffee:

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos | Page 33

Beautiful place, I'd love to visit this island once it is safe in Yemen and possible to go there as a tourist.

Another Galapagos

Dragon's Blood Tree

Populace

The Socotran Fig

Granite Peaks

Lush

Cave

Desert Rose Tree

Matrix

Potential

- Photo Essays - TIME

@Roybot @ranjeet @Cherokee @levina @gau8av @sreekumar
@WebMaster

Oh my,thats such a beautiful place. <3

Just googled the name to realise its called pearl of Indian ocean and that UNESCO has declared it a world heritage site.
Good that they 're promoting eco tourism in Socotra.

Oh my,thats such a beautiful place. <3

Just googled the name to realise its called pearl of Indian ocean and that UNESCO has declared it a world heritage site.
Good that they 're promoting eco tourism in Socotra.

In my humble opinion then I have posted even more beautiful photos in the thread that I have linked to earlier. Technically the Socotra Archipelago lies in the Arabian Sea but the same Arabian Sea is part of the Indian Ocean. So it is both a part of the Arabian Sea and the Indian Ocean. Anyway that's mere semantics. We chemical engineers love details though.:lol:

Arabian Sea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, indeed.

If somebody is a fan of paragliding then this might be of interest.

NBC on Socotra:

Last edited:
New updates from the "Galapagos Islands" of the East.

Socotra cormorant (Phalacrocorax nigrogularis) by Morten Ross, on Flickr

Homhil Plateau &amp; Arabian Sea by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

Socotra old sea port by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

Haggier Montains by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

Wadi Dirhor by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

2015-03-11 15.40.29-1 by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

Ile de Socotra_Février 2015_Dragonniers et adéniums_Dixham. by Pipaillon, on Flickr

Firmhin Plateau by Valerian Guillot, on Flickr

@Sinnerman108 the Socotra Islands would be a better choice than those newly created volcanic islands in the Southern Red Sea.

@Saif al-Arab

OK; but Wife El Yemeni !! ??

Let me see if I can bring you back some pictures over next 2 months of vacation from my own camera.

Why not? Yemeni women are mostly beautiful and it's the land of Queen of Sheba, one of the earliest queens in attested history.

Don't shy away from doing that.

@SALMAN AL-FARSI do you know Socotra archipelago? It's the "Galapagos Islands" of the East. I have noticed that Somalians are claiming it despite the natives being Southern Arabians and now Yemeni Arab migrants. There are less than 1000 Somalians today! Youtube videos of Socotra is flooded with Guled's.

Last edited:
all girls are beautiful .. at the start ...
over a period of time not so much.

This effect is a little more pronounced in Yemen !

However I agree, the Yemeni heritage && tradition is worth everything.

have a look at the search results starting with بنات

Attachments

• Yemeni_search.jpg
    Yemeni_search.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom