What's new

Why pray in Arabic and not in a language we understand?

Khan_patriot

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Firstly i want all the Muslim to know I am not here to bad mouth anyone and don't want to offend anyone by what I am going to say, and to the non-Muslims i don't need the this is why you are a target of religious fundamentalists routine and mocking of the way most of us pray, I just want a sincere and clear answer.

The question

Since it was Ramadan so in the taraweeh the the Imam recited the complete Quran and like all devoted Muslims I stood behind him for almost 1 1/2 hours daily and offered them but a question came into my mind that how beautiful it would have been if i would have been able to understand what the Imam was saying and apply them into my daily life ( don't get me wrong i have read the Quran with translation in urdu once), then i thought wouldn't it be better if we just prayed in our own language so that we may have a stronger bond with Allah SWT and have a more spiritual rather then physical Nimaz???Allah is aware of what is in our hearts and minds and he can understand all languages so why only pray in Arabic, ''unity'' may be one answer but then we can make public prayer like ''Azan'' in Arabic so that all may know of it but offer ''nimaz'' in our own language so that we may know of it...

There would have been many advantages to this other then religious we as a nation would finally understand our Islamic moral ideals and how practical and relaxed they are, i admit some people do study the Quran with translation but I am talking about the masses of uneducated people who fall pray to proxy mullahs due to the very fact that they don't understand what is in the Quran.

Please comment and i say again non-Muslim brothers please don't mock anything or anyone in this post or there will be retaliation ........

I stand to be corrected so as to remove this confusion so brothers with knowledge share your wisdom with me......

It is because it is standard
Allah says in Quran that I(Allah) have make this(quran) easy for you to understand. there is also other ayats about the arabic context of quran and besides Holy Quran is translated almost into evey language you can read translation to understand or you can also learn Arabic language
2) the other reason is that the Arabic language is the most versatile language of all one word in arabic has so much meaning and usage.
3)The Holy Prophet(S.A.W) belongs to Arab.
4)Arabic is the language in After Life
5)As for Traveeh is concerned, in some mosques the imam after traveeh explain the context of the chapter ha has recited..
6)The uneducated people should educate themselves.
7)if every one is going to offer prayer in his own language then there must conflict which arose among the people as the difference of understanding and difference of translation
8)So to unit all the muslims arabic is made a standard by Allah you may go anywhere in the world you will find unity.

It is because it is standard
Allah says in Quran that I(Allah) have make this(quran) easy for you to understand. there is also other ayats about the arabic context of quran and besides Holy Quran is translated almost into evey language you can read translation to understand or you can also learn Arabic language
2) the other reason is that the Arabic language is the most versatile language of all one word in arabic has so much meaning and usage.
3)The Holy Prophet(S.A.W) belongs to Arab.
4)Arabic is the language in After Life
5)As for Traveeh is concerned, in some mosques the imam after traveeh explain the context of the chapter ha has recited..
6)The uneducated people should educate themselves.
7)if every one is going to offer prayer in his own language then there must conflict which arose among the people as the difference of understanding and difference of translation
8)So to unit all the muslims arabic is made a standard by Allah you may go anywhere in the world you will find unity.

Thanks for the reply deeply appreciate it brother and don't mind my furthur clearance but to ur points i say,

In response to point 1; Allah has made it easy to understand and without doubt it has been translated into almost all known language but what is the point of a translation if no one reads it???

In response to point 2: It is versatile and indeed a beautiful language but a common man doesn't gain anything from a language we dont understand

In response to point 3: He was an Arab but this doesn't mean that all his followers know Arabic and do you know of any hadees or Ayah regarding the language of prayer, altough he is our beloved Prophet and he is clearly superior but as far as langauge s concerned can it be derived that Arabic is not superior to non Arabic from ''An Arab is not superior to a non Arab''

In response to point 4:
To be in the afterlife Jannah we must get there first by UNDERSTANDING the Quran

In response to point 5: The summary is good in essence but is short and vague for complete understanding....

In response to point 6; The education is the problem the illiterates will educate themselves only WHEN THEY READ IT IS AN OBLIGATION WHEN THEY RECITE QURAN IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE SO THEY MAY UNDERSTAND

In response to point 7:
We can have a word by word translation so that we may understand and keep the orignal text as well

In response to point 8:
How can a non Arab find unity based just on language we find unity on religion and not on language....

Please note I am not debating but discussing so that we may become better Muslims

In my humble opinion Allah (SWT) has sent the Noble Quran to us in Arabic for a reason. That is the most beautiful language in the world and does justice to word of Allah Almighty. Its easy to remember and easy to read. Now imagine if our Imam recites the translation of Quran in urdu, there could be no Qirrat and it would take ages for him to recite the whole Quran due to the translation and sentences in urdu. Also it would no longer be attractive to listen.

Feel free to disagree.

its true it would be more meaningful if we all prayed in our own languages but there would be no unity.

the reason we pray in arabic and towards a common center (kaaba) is symbolic of muslim unity. otherwise if you consider the languages of the world, the nigerian standing in line with you will pray in his/her language, the arab will pray in his/her language, the turk will pray in his/her language, the malay will pray in his/her language, the swedish will pray in his/her language and therefore you will have a complete breakdown of salah in the mosque. it part of one of the many things of muslim unity that we pray in arabic.

also it is consistent with following the sunnah or tradition of the Prophet pbuh.

also when words are translated, they are not completely accurate, hence the term 'lost in translation'. if everyone started praying or reading the Quran in their own language, its not completely accurate. for example there is no word for salah in the english language. prayer is the closest word but its not accurate because salah comprises of more than just physical actions performed. salah also integrates the heart, intention and focus of a person worshipping Allah.

In my humble opinion Allah (SWT) has sent the Noble Quran to us in Arabic for a reason. That is the most beautiful language in the world and does justice to word of Allah Almighty. Its easy to remember and easy to read. Now imagine if our Imam recites the translation of Quran in urdu, there could be no Qirrat and it would take ages for him to recite the whole Quran due to the translation and sentences in urdu. Also it would no longer be attractive to listen.

Feel free to disagree.

Brother do you know of any Ayat or Hadees because i feel that the fact we dont even know about our holy book is the cause of our downfall, the Qirat is good to listen to and is relaxing must agree but we need to understand it, in my opinion to understand is more important then to listen.... and we cannot understand a foreign language

How About Hajj?? how will many people from many nations say LABAIK ALLAHHUMA LABAIK, LABAIK KA LA SHAREEKA LABAIK? how will we be able to say that in loud voice in hajj at the same time in hundred different languges?

also it is consistent with following the sunnah or tradition of the Prophet pbuh.
Do you know and Hadees regarding this or any Ayat because I couldn't find any, if you know please tell me an brother don't mind but read a comment suspiciously similar to this one when I was googling this question......;)

Brother do you know of any Ayat or Hadees because i feel that the fact we dont even know about our holy book is the cause of our downfall, the Qirat is good to listen to and is relaxing must agree but we need to understand it, in my opinion to understand is more important then to listen.... and we cannot understand a foreign language

Brother in this age of technology and science nothing is impossible. I suggest you to go to youtube and search for Ayats and verses of Quran with english subtitles. I do the same to understand the meaning as well as enjoy the qirrat. I'm so addicted to Mishary's qirat that i do listen to him even during the rest of year and jot just Ramadan. Here is something i found for you. Take a listen and I'm sure this will sort out your problems.

Sura Qiyamah (Judgment Day) Mishary Rashed Alafasy - YouTube

How About Hajj?? how will many people from many nations say LABAIK ALLAHHUMA LABAIK, LABAIK KA LA SHAREEKA LABAIK? how will we be able to say that in loud voice in hajj at the same time in hundred different languges?

I am not saying they shouldn't pray in Arabic but should atleast know what they are saying and not act on blind obediance like most Muslims act now, we have been given a great gift THE QURAN so we should understand it.....
For the sake of unity we can recite the above verse in Arabic or the Azan in Arabic or anyother prayer in Arabic but my question is we SHOULD KNOW THE MEANING......

The question some times is asked as to why should a Muslim pray only in Arabic language and not his mother tongue.

It may first seem logical that every Muslim should pray through his own mother language, so that he may understand what he say; but a little more thinking and study, we shall find that there are strong arguments in favour of only one common language and that also Arabic.

Arabic: A deep and vast Language

It is a fact recognized by the linguists that the Arabic language has the best ability to express wide and deep thoughts and to explain important subjects in short and precise words. Moreover, it has been proved that no language, except Arabic, is capable of presenting such deep spiritual, moral and ethical expressions in such an eloquent manner. Therefore the choice of Arabic for Islamic prayers is not to be wondered upon.

Veccia Vaglieri, an Italian orientalist in the University of Naples, writes in her book on Advancement of Islam, that in no literary work of the world can there be found such deep-meaning sentences with such beautiful words except in the Qur'an; and that depth of meaning is crowned with such eloquent language.

The late George Bernard Shaw, in the course of his discussion on Islam at Mombasa during 1943 said: “I also very much admire the forcible and striking diction of the Qur'an. What grace and beauty characterizes that passage which depicts the dreadful scene of the dooms-day field, and dealing with infanticide, dramatically leaves off at the question, 'For what crime wert thou slain?' to the innocent child that was buried alive or put to death. In my opinion it is the most effective way of creating an abiding impression on the minds of people.”[1]

Professor Arbury, the well known orientalist scholar (University of Cambridge), says that no language has and shall have the ability to put in a short sentence, the word من (Min) (which is repeated five times in an ayat of the Qur'an) without disturbing the eloquence and conveyance of its meaning, except the language (Arabic) which is chosen for the Qur'an to convey the message of Islam.

A Common Language for the Islamic Prayer

All Muslims perform their religious rites and worship of God, including the daily five time prayers, in Arabic. In the course of these prayers, some verses of the Qur'an and other sentences, are uttered so as to express the Greatness and Glory of Allah, the Creator, and the humbleness and insignificance of the human beings, the creatures.

This is done in the same wordings by all Muslims, Arabs and non-Arabs alike, even by those who do not understand Arabic. This system of prayers in one common language was in practice during the life time of the Prophet of Islam and has continued after him for more than 1400 years. In every country, Muslims have been praying in Arabic language.

Cementing the Islamic Brotherhood

Prayer in Arabic cements the Islamic brotherhood and emphasizes the universal character of Islam. Islam has come for the entire Human race. It is a fact that the Muslim Communities of the world, like all other communities, speak numerous languages and dialects. At the same time it should be appreciated that our life today is rapidly assuming international character. Distance between any two points of the world has shrinked fantastically. In every place you will find Muslims speaking different languages. Imagine a Muslim who is an Englishman going to China and passing through a street. Suddenly he hears the voice of, say 'ching-chang-chung' which, let us suppose mean 'Allahu Akbar' - God is Great.

No doubt the stranger would not understand that it is a call for Muslim prayer and would miss the opportunity of praying in congregation with the people of that locality. Incidentally, the mosques in China do not resemble in appearance to those in Europe or other Eastern countries and are without minarets. Conversely, if a Chinese travels abroad where people pray in their local language, he would not be able to understand it and participate in it.

Sayyid Sa'eed Akhtar Rizvi, Chief Missionary of Bilal Muslim Mision, writes:

“Prayers in Arabic are an important factor cementing the solidity and unity of Muslims all over the world. Nowadays if a Muslim from Czechoslovakia enters a mosque in the interior of Congo, he finds himself at home and participates in the prayer without any hint of bewilderness. What will happen if every man is told to pray in his own language? Can this feeling of Unity and Oneness survive?”

Thus, Islam, the universal religion, has paved the way of common approach to God, has united its followers and instilled in them a feeling of everlasting Brotherhood.

One cannot ignore the racial, colour, or national prejudices which are rife these days almost in every country, Islam has not only condemned all sorts of discrimination but has shown the practical way of fostering fraternity and brotherhood. A common language for religious services plays a great part in bringing people close to one another and create a feeling of equality in the eyes of God.

Qur’an, Work of Allah

Arabic in which the Holy Qur'an and traditions of the Prophet have been revealed has a special status and honour. This high status of Arabic is not due to its being the language of the Arabs; rather it is because of its being language of Qur'an chosen by Almighty God for conveying His last message and revelation.

Muslims believe that the Holy Qur'an is the Word of God. As such, it is only befitting that the recitation of the word of God is done in the same form and language in which it was originally pronounced. Spiritually, a faithful Muslim finds himself ascending higher and higher with the support of the words of God as expressed in the original language which is Arabic.

Translation almost Impossible

Any translation of the original will not be the word of God but the work of human beings. Keep in view the imperfect human knowledge, and remember that Arabic is the widest and richest of all languages. Then you will have to admit that no translation of the Qur'an would be perfect enough to carry the true meanings and to fulfill the spiritual purposes.

Sayyid Sa'eed Akhtar Rizvi writes on this subject:

“Praying in English: First of all, translation of any work of literature from any language into another is considered by all men of literature as almost impossible. Of course, you will find thousands of translations of literary works, but they represent only the body of the original; the spirit is always lost.

Secondly, Arabic language, in particular, is so comprehensive that, for example, it is just impossible to convey the complete idea of a word (let alone a 'sentence') into English. Take for example, the most common phrase الحمد لله which is generally translated as “All praise be to God.” Now ال conveys in Arabic the following shades of meaning:

1. Each and every individual of the thing mentioned, taken separately;

2. All the individuals of the thing mentioned taken jointly;

3. The species of the thing mentioned taken as an abstract idea etc.

Now if you want to translate ال in such a way as to convey all the meanings mentioned above you will have to say 'Each and every, all and the.'

Then comes حمد . There is not a single word in English to convey its idea. 'Praise' is translation of مدح not حمد ; Thanks' is translation of شكر not حمد.

“Hamd” means “to praise and thank someone because he deserves to be praised whether he has done you any favour or not provided that his qualities are not given to him by someone else.”

How can anybody convey this idea in translations?

Now comes (L) of الله It conveys the idea of 'For', 'Of, 'Belonging to' etc. No single English preposition can cover the whole range of its meanings. الله is generally rendered as 'God'. But, first of all 'god” is not translation of الله because الله means 'One who deserves to be loved' and 'Into whom every one seeks refuge.'

Secondly الله has no plural and no feminine. So this name itself reflects light upon the fact that He is one and only “one and that He has no partner nor any equal. But “god” has plural (gods) and feminine (goddess).

This short explanation should be sufficient to show that it is impossible to translate the Qur'an in such a way that the translation conveys all the shades of meanings of the original”.

In the words of A. J. Arbury, the Qur'an is “a foreign idiom, for the Qur'an is God's revelation in Arabic, and the emotive and evocative qualities of the original disappear almost totally in the most skilful translation.”[2]
It is clear, therefore, that no translation can replace this, divine literary work at all. Of course, a number of English translations of the Qur'an have been published; but it has always been felt that yet another effort for better translation is necessary, because all existing translations appear inadequate or carrying misleading meanings of certain verses. This feeling is not restricted to English translations; but it affects also those in other languages. Under the circumstances, should one make use of the defective translation and leave aside the perfect original, particularly when he is addressing the Almighty Allah?

Thanks for the reply deeply appreciate it brother and don't mind my furthur clearance but to ur points i say,

In response to point 1; Allah has made it easy to understand and without doubt it has been translated into almost all known language but what is the point of a translation if no one reads it???

That is "no one"'s fault if they dont read a translation .. or they did not bother to discover their religion further..

Will a particular grammatical nuance in Arabic be perfectly translated to Pushto?
The meaning of the Quran is unique to Arabic, it contains metaphors unique to the Arabic of that time.. which can never be fully expressed in any other langauge

In response to point 2: It is versatile and indeed a beautiful language but a common man doesn't gain anything from a language we dont understand

Common man should take the time to read and understand it.
If common man did not take the time to understand even Allah o akbar.. then common man is being lazy.

In response to point 3: He was an Arab but this doesn't mean that all his followers know Arabic and do you know of any hadees or Ayah regarding the language of prayer, altough he is our beloved Prophet and he is clearly superior but as far as langauge s concerned can it be derived that Arabic is not superior to non Arabic from ''An Arab is not superior to a non Arab''

If god chose arabic as the language to deliver his message. then the original message is in Arabic.. if the message is no longer in Arabic is it still the word of god?

In response to point 4:
To be in the afterlife Jannah we must get there first by UNDERSTANDING the Quran

For which you must understand Arabic.. one Ayat can amount to a complete book.. and the meaning of each ayat is revealed to the capabilities of that person.

In response to point 5: The summary is good in essence but is short and vague for complete understanding....

Which is why you have Tafseer of Quran available for you.. nobody is supposed to spoon feed the Quran to you, you must do a little work by yourself.

In response to point 6; The education is the problem the illiterates will educate themselves only WHEN THEY READ IT IS AN OBLIGATION WHEN THEY RECITE QURAN IN THEIR OWN LANGUAGE SO THEY MAY UNDERSTAND

No.. what guarantee can you give that they may not end up distorting over time where it loses its actual meaning.

In response to point 7:
We can have a word by word translation so that we may understand and keep the orignal text as well

There is no such thing as a word by word translation of Arabic.. one letter in Arabic can constitute a whole word or a whole sentence in another language.

In response to point 8:
How can a non Arab find unity based just on language we find unity on religion and not on language....

When you have Ten people saying Allah o Akbar in different languages..
"Allah o Akbar"
"Khuda wadda hai"
"god is great"
"Khuda Ghat shu"
"Ilahi Shah"

Where is the unity in this??

Please note I am not debating but discussing so that we may become better Muslims

You may wish to become a better Muslims.. but my first suggestion is to explore your religion , its original text.. its meaning by taking the step towards it.. instead of expecting religion to take the step towards you.

Brother in this age of technology and science nothing is impossible. I suggest you to go to youtube and search for Ayats and verses of Quran with english subtitles. I do the same to understand the meaning as well as enjoy the qirrat. I'm so addicted to Mishary's qirat that i do listen to him even during the rest of month. Here is something i found for you. Take a listen and I'm sure this will sort out your problems.

Sura Qiyamah (Judgment Day) Mishary Rashed Alafasy - YouTube

Thanks for the Qirat video but youtube is not available to everyone and frankly hadn't it been for the translation listed below each verse i would have had no idea what was being recited, forgive me but I am one of those who believe Islam and Quran are the last salvation for Muslims in general and Pakistan in particular ( i am not fundamentalist by the way) so we can be salvaged only if the MASSES and NOT INDIVIDUALS learn and understand the Quran

I personally feel there is nothing wrong with praying in English or in any other language, but one should aspire to pray in the language the Quran was revealed in. Just an opinion.

Essentially - Who is Allah? Is Allah an arab?? Can Allah only understand Arabic?? Can Allah be Allah and be limited to a single language?

And Essentially - what is a Muslim? Does being a Muslim mean being an Arab? if it does then more than a Billion who call themselves Muslims are ineligible.

Friends, reality is that we are today faced with having to answer these two questions for ourselves, plus one even more important one, but lets deal with that later -- islam must be universal or it will not survive and Quran if it is the word of God, must be in the language of those who are it's adherents, not in the language of one particular cultural subset - we are not in the "chosen" business - we are in the redemption through faith business and our shop is open to all.

Back
Top Bottom