What's new

Why pray in Arabic and not in a language we understand?

You may wish to become a better Muslims.. but my first suggestion is to explore your religion , its original text.. its meaning by taking the step towards it.. instead of expecting religion to take the step towards you.

It will not be disorted because:

Verily, We Ourselves have sent down this Exhortation, and most surely We will be its Guardian, (Al-Hijr, 15:10)

Allah is responsible for it and no Muslim can challenge it by Allah grace all Muslims' translations will be accurate......

at the end the very fact that i ask this question is a sign that have taken my step towards religion and the true Islam and i did it on my own and for my own sake....

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

I personally feel there is nothing wrong with praying in English or in any other language, but one should aspire to pray in the language the Quran was revealed in. Just an opinion.
I feel the same way and it is only when we know what we are truly praying for that we will do justice to the prayer and it may be closer to Allah because it will be from the heart.

---------- Post added at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 AM ----------

its true it would be more meaningful if we all prayed in our own languages but there would be no unity.

the reason we pray in arabic and towards a common center (kaaba) is symbolic of muslim unity. otherwise if you consider the languages of the world, the nigerian standing in line with you will pray in his/her language, the arab will pray in his/her language, the turk will pray in his/her language, the malay will pray in his/her language, the swedish will pray in his/her language and therefore you will have a complete breakdown of salah in the mosque. it part of one of the many things of muslim unity that we pray in arabic.

also it is consistent with following the sunnah or tradition of the Prophet pbuh.

also when words are translated, they are not completely accurate, hence the term 'lost in translation'. if everyone started praying or reading the Quran in their own language, its not completely accurate. for example there is no word for salah in the english language. prayer is the closest word but its not accurate because salah comprises of more than just physical actions performed. salah also integrates the heart, intention and focus of a person worshipping Allah.

As far as lost in translation is concerned Allah is responsible for not letting it happen

Verily, We Ourselves have sent down this Exhortation, and most surely We will be its Guardian, (Al-Hijr, 15:10)

Essentially - Who is Allah? Is Allah an arab?? Can Allah only understand Arabic?? Can Allah be Allah and be limited to a single language?

And Essentially - what is a Muslim? Does being a Muslim mean being an Arab? if it does then more than a Billion who call themselves Muslims are ineligible.

Friends, reality is that we are today faced with having to answer these two questions for ourselves, plus one even more important one, but lets deal with that later -- islam must be universal or it will not survive and Quran if it is the word of God, must be in the language of those who are it's adherents, not in the language of one particular cultural subset - we are not in the "chosen" business - we are in the redemption through faith business and our shop is open to all.

read the long post i posted and you will understand if you little bit of brains.

Why not pray in French?

On the other hand you can read its English or Urdu translation and you are set.

The meaning of the words that are mentioned in namaaz are very easy to understand. Namaaz is not difficult to understand, but if the second surah is long, or one which you do not understand, then it is a problem. But the words cannot be translated word to word.

Is this a Knee jerk to another thread of Arabization?

Translation almost Impossible

Any translation of the original will not be the word of God but the work of human beings. Keep in view the imperfect human knowledge, and remember that Arabic is the widest and richest of all languages. Then you will have to admit that no translation of the Qur'an would be perfect enough to carry the true meanings and to fulfill the spiritual purposes.

Sayyid Sa'eed Akhtar Rizvi writes on this subject:

“Praying in English: First of all, translation of any work of literature from any language into another is considered by all men of literature as almost impossible. Of course, you will find thousands of translations of literary works, but they represent only the body of the original; the spirit is always lost.

Secondly, Arabic language, in particular, is so comprehensive that, for example, it is just impossible to convey the complete idea of a word (let alone a 'sentence') into English. Take for example, the most common phrase الحمد لله which is generally translated as “All praise be to God.” Now ال conveys in Arabic the following shades of meaning:

1. Each and every individual of the thing mentioned, taken separately;

2. All the individuals of the thing mentioned taken jointly;

3. The species of the thing mentioned taken as an abstract idea etc.

Now if you want to translate ال in such a way as to convey all the meanings mentioned above you will have to say 'Each and every, all and the.'

Then comes حمد . There is not a single word in English to convey its idea. 'Praise' is translation of مدح not حمد ; Thanks' is translation of شكر not حمد.

“Hamd” means “to praise and thank someone because he deserves to be praised whether he has done you any favour or not provided that his qualities are not given to him by someone else.”

How can anybody convey this idea in translations?

Now comes (L) of الله It conveys the idea of 'For', 'Of, 'Belonging to' etc. No single English preposition can cover the whole range of its meanings. الله is generally rendered as 'God'. But, first of all 'god” is not translation of الله because الله means 'One who deserves to be loved' and 'Into whom every one seeks refuge.'

Secondly الله has no plural and no feminine. So this name itself reflects light upon the fact that He is one and only “one and that He has no partner nor any equal. But “god” has plural (gods) and feminine (goddess).

This short explanation should be sufficient to show that it is impossible to translate the Qur'an in such a way that the translation conveys all the shades of meanings of the original”.

In the words of A. J. Arbury, the Qur'an is “a foreign idiom, for the Qur'an is God's revelation in Arabic, and the emotive and evocative qualities of the original disappear almost totally in the most skilful translation.”[2]
It is clear, therefore, that no translation can replace this, divine literary work at all. Of course, a number of English translations of the Qur'an have been published; but it has always been felt that yet another effort for better translation is necessary, because all existing translations appear inadequate or carrying misleading meanings of certain verses. This feeling is not restricted to English translations; but it affects also those in other languages. Under the circumstances, should one make use of the defective translation and leave aside the perfect original, particularly when he is addressing the Almighty Allah?

By this do you mean we should just quit explaining Quran to the masses because it will not be ''comprehensive''....??? Quran needs our full attention and not just comprehensively but in great depth and detail

Do the chirstians ever complain when they pray in Latin??, nope, I dont see any. So , why us muslims. It has been going on 1400 years, nobody has given rise to it. But why now we are suddenly facing this??

Sister You may appreciate "deep and vast" but I am simple Muslim, my relationship is with Allah and He understands my heart regardless of language.

Exactly, it is a matter of faith, not the language of faith.

When you follow sunnah, you emulate the prophet. So if someone wants to pray,like he did, dress like he did and/or speak the language he did , what is the big deal?
Today we emulate the west and apparently no one is bitching about our roots. It is a weird world we indeed live in.
Anyways, it makes sense to offer Salat and even recite in Arabic as that was the language HE chose to reveal the Book.
But it seem like people here are trying to stuff their pov on others.

The meaning of the words that are mentioned in namaaz are very easy to understand. Namaaz is not difficult to understand, but if the second surah is long, or one which you do not understand, then it is a problem. But the words cannot be translated word to word.

Is this a Knee jerk to another thread of Arabization?

We are not concerned about Arabization in my opinion if we are going to read Quran in Arabic we might as well give up our language and adopt Arabic and i have no argument against it, if my college will include Arabic i will learn it the way i learn english or urdu, but a country changing its language to understand Quran is not as practical as understanding Quran in our own language......

Essentially - Who is Allah? Is Allah an arab?? Can Allah only understand Arabic?? Can Allah be Allah and be limited to a single language?

And Essentially - what is a Muslim? Does being a Muslim mean being an Arab? if it does then more than a Billion who call themselves Muslims are ineligible.

Friends, reality is that we are today faced with having to answer these two questions for ourselves, plus one even more important one, but lets deal with that later -- islam must be universal or it will not survive and Quran if it is the word of God, must be in the language of those who are it's adherents, not in the language of one particular cultural subset - we are not in the "chosen" business - we are in the redemption through faith business and our shop is open to all.

Jesus Christ, o Allah, o Krishna you don't half talk rubbish.

Did an "ARBI" steal your wife?

Most here acknowledge the nefarious Arab influence, but not like you -you who has a serious identity issue that you are trying to project your nonsense onto others.

You are essentially being a nuisance, a provocateur.

We are not concerned about Arabization in my opinion if we are going to read Quran in Arabic we might as well give up our language and adopt Arabic and i have no argument against it, if my college will include Arabic i will learn it the way i learn english or urdu, but a country changing its language to understand Quran is not as practical as understanding Quran in our own language......

Was it ever suggested that Pakistan change its language?

When you follow sunnah, you emulate the prophet. So if someone wants to pray,like he did, dress like he did and/or speak the language he did , what is the big deal?
Today we emulate the west and apparently no one is bitching about our roots. It is a weird world we indeed live in.
Anyways, it makes sense to offer Salat and even recite in Arabic as that was the language HE chose to reveal the Book.
But it seem like people here are trying to stuff their pov on others.

Yes, I agree with you, we should live as if we are still in the 7th century.

You are meant to emulate the actions and behavior, not superfluous things which change overtime.

Back
Top Bottom