What's new

Whatever

So as you can see the sign. You can take a Pak! out of Pakistan but you can’t’ escape from Pak! Wherever you are, Alexander eat your heart out.

upload_2020-8-16_11-17-54.jpeg
upload_2020-8-16_11-17-54.jpeg

Then please consider writing a travelogue in a year or so.
Being a Muslim can have it’s twists. Yesterday at Greek restaurant the locals decided to toast me and placed free local wine on the table. Apparently it is Cretan tradition that visitors are offered the local wine. Of course secular as I am but I do have my lines and pork/alcohol are firmly verboten so I had to decline. One of the Greek ladies offered to join and and asked she would not drink if I did not. That was hard as it was apparently a insult to decline a lady. However my lifetime conditioning would not allow me and I declined. They were visibly disturbed but not in a offensive way. Sort of shock and leg down. But it all ended nicely when we exchanged details and offer that I would entertain them if they visited U.K.

One sad thing was when they asked my origin and I used the p word the response was surprise and covered with negative reaction. They masked it but I could tell p has bad image. I am sure I had said I Indian the response would have been better.

Being a Muslim can have it’s twists. Yesterday at Greek restaurant the locals decided to toast me and placed free local wine on the table. Apparently it is Cretan tradition that visitors are offered the local wine. Of course secular as I am but I do have my lines and pork/alcohol are firmly verboten so I had to decline. One of the Greek ladies offered to join and and asked she would not drink if I did not. That was hard as it was apparently a insult to decline a lady. However my lifetime conditioning would not allow me and I declined. They were visibly disturbed but not in a offensive way. Sort of shock and leg down. But it all ended nicely when we exchanged details and offer that I would entertain them if they visited U.K.

Don't the restaurants have tea ? Or do Greeks even drink tea ?

One sad thing was when they asked my origin and I used the p word the response was surprise and covered with negative reaction. They masked it but I could tell p has bad image. I am sure I had said I Indian the response would have been better.

Well, India's image outside is from Bollywood. Right from the days of USSR and the popularity then of films of Raj Kapoor and Nargis. This article says more.

And it’s true what they say “life begins at 60” so @Joe Shearer get living okay. We are like wine. Older we get. Better we get. Adios

I read you don't drink, how would you know that wine improves with age? lol

I managed to visit about 19 countries I think, in my younger days, then couldn't for various reasons. My target was 50 by 50, so 50 countries by the time I reach 50 years, still have some time left but will need to work fast.

Before COVID started, I planned to do an overland trip from London to Singapore, based on an idea about a travel program in the UK. Also, always had a dream to walk from Madina to Mecca to perform Umra, looked into it a few years ago, but everyone advised against it and received no reply to my query from the Saudi embassy, so that's on freeze for now.

Ok, the main purpose, I wanted to ask what are your recommendations, which areas or places have touched your soul, I do drink socially so I wouldn't be declining anyone's free drinks lol, I was in Crete about 20 years ago for few days, it's strange how the memory fades. Initially, I refused to take pictures on any of my trips, because for me the trips were a personal experience for my senses, not to be captured, then I realised it's not wise because, with time, you need a recollection point to refresh your experiences.

I planned to do an overland trip from London to Singapore, based on an idea about a travel program in the UK.

A batch-mate in a computer course here in India many years ago was named Jamal Abdul Nasser after the great Egyptian leader. His father used to be a doctor in Britain before my batch-mate was born. The parents and their daughter made an overland trip from Britain to India by car.

Initially, I refused to take pictures on any of my trips, because for me the trips were a personal experience for my senses, not to be captured, then I realised it's not wise because, with time, you need a recollection point to refresh your experiences.

Interesting.

Last edited:
I am in Crete, Greece in lovely sky villa with its own swimming pool and glorious views of the Mediterranean. After Pakistan I went to Turkey and the after 4 days in UK I thought it only appropriate to visit Turkey’s twin Greece. So here I am in land of Alexander admiring the views and fabulous local fruit. Grapes, fig, watermelons etc to die for. The women are pretty ugly to be honest. Short, stout workhorses. @Nilgiri @Yankee-stani @PAKISTANFOREVER @Joe Shearer etc

<sigh!>

Think of us deprived third-worlders as you dig into your moussaka.

Back
Top Bottom