What's new

Whatever

A batch-mate in a computer course many years ago was named Jamal Abdul Nasser after the great Egyptian leader. His father used to be a doctor in Britain before my batch-mate was born. The parents and their daughter made an overland trip from Britain to India by car.

My father did that in the 1970s, I think, it would be awesome, although a bit scary these days. My planned trip was to be on Public transport trains, buses, coaches, taxis anything overland.
I thought of learning to ride a motorbike and use that mood of transport, more freedom etc... but motorbikes scare me lol

I'm wondering, did they travel via Pakistan? It's the only route that makes sense, I'm sure the Central Asian and China route would have been closed or lacked facilities at the time, as opposed to now.

I thought of learning to ride a motorbike and use that mood of transport, more freedom etc... but motorbikes scare me lol

I believe the huge number of motorcycles and scooters in India are partly responsible for the traffic chaos and accidents here. Lot of young males do motorcycle stunts ( wheelies, center-stand dragging along the road etc ) and sometimes get killed. The son of the Indian cricketer Azharuddin was killed this way.

Two wheelers ( except bicycles ) should be banned.

I believe the huge number of motorcycles and scooters in India are partly responsible for the traffic chaos and accidents here. Lot of young males do motorcycle stunts ( wheelies, center-stand dragging along the road etc ) and sometimes get killed. The son of the Indian cricketer Azharuddin was killed this way.

Two wheelers ( except bicycles ) should be banned.

I rarely support banning things, so probably an extreme step in this case, but I see your point, they are very dangerous, hence my fear.

Might be a good idea to raise the age limit for motorbike users or introduce detailed training to encourage responsible behaviour.

Might be a good idea to raise the age limit for motorbike users

This had crossed my mind too. Unless we are talking about a future scientific society where age of adulthood is brought to the more natural 14 or 15, and thus made socially and politically responsible much earlier than now, in the present circumstance it would be probably sensible to push the motorcycle user age to 30 plus that person to be married to ensure that the user won't normally risk his family life by doing stunts or overspeeding.

But about transport what I would really like is ban ( though this may be not to your liking ) on privately-owned public transport vehicles. The replacement should be more and efficient buses for intra-city transport plus taxis for the occasional outing to the tea house etc. It seems when Uber first came out the company said that Uber will replace the need for people to have their own cars.

This had crossed my mind too. Unless we are talking about a future scientific society where age of adulthood is brought to the more natural 14 or 15, and thus made socially and politically responsible much earlier than now, in the present circumstance it would be probably sensible to push the motorcycle user age to 30 plus that person to be married to ensure that the user won't normally risk his family life by doing stunts or overspeeding.

But about transport what I would really like is ban ( though this may be not to your liking ) on privately-owned public transport vehicles. The replacement should be more and efficient buses for intra-city transport plus taxis for the occasional outing to the tea house etc. It seems when Uber first came out the company said that Uber will replace the need for people to have their own cars.

:rofl: I think you may have too high an opinion of married people, they are very messed up, especially men lol

@jamahir @Nilgiri @HRK

Bro, I have become Elite Member with 8002 post. Time to celebrate ........:super:

1*d8O7TfTHwPeftRwl28ey4g.jpeg

Congrats. :cheers:

Yah, I wish I can put it in the CV or my Linkedin account with : "I have made 8002 writing in English" in the respected international internet forum. It will be cool bro :azn:

Ah yes, coffee is consumed a lot more here.

Being a Muslim can have it’s twists. Yesterday at Greek restaurant the locals decided to toast me and placed free local wine on the table. Apparently it is Cretan tradition that visitors are offered the local wine. Of course secular as I am but I do have my lines and pork/alcohol are firmly verboten so I had to decline. One of the Greek ladies offered to join and and asked she would not drink if I did not. That was hard as it was apparently a insult to decline a lady. However my lifetime conditioning would not allow me and I declined. They were visibly disturbed but not in a offensive way. Sort of shock and leg down. But it all ended nicely when we exchanged details and offer that I would entertain them if they visited U.K.

Don't mind them, it's a Cretan thing really. In peoples' homes (not restaurants) out in the countryside it's even worse. You have to sit down, drink, and only then you have permission to tell what you came there for lol...XD

Which - to be frank - is a huge plus if you like free booze like me. I really cherish my time whenever I visit Crete.. :D

Ah yes, coffee is consumed a lot more here.

Don't mind them, it's a Cretan thing really. In peoples' homes (not restaurants) out in the countryside it's even worse. You have to sit down, drink, and only then you have permission to tell what you came there for lol...XD

Which - to be frank - is a huge plus if you like free booze like me. I really cherish my time whenever I visit Crete.. :D

Is the greek (language) in crete very different to mainland?

Is the greek (language) in crete very different to mainland?

Almost each region has its own dialect, but it is somewhat easy for any Greek to understand them fully. Crete indeed has a different, immediately recognizable dialect.

When you do eventually encounter a buffy nonagenarian from Chania and start conversing though...then all bets are off. You are essentially listening to an alien bird species. :D

Back
Top Bottom