Was the creation of Pakistan a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Over the years, I have come across many people who believed that Pakistan should never have been created. Keeping today’s lawlessness and corruption in mind, I often feel that they are indeed right.

However, amongst the many reasons given to me by such individuals for Pakistan being a mistake, one of the most prominent is that had India not been divided then, Muslims today would have been the largest religious group in the subcontinent. Such statements are misguiding as these people are misinformed.

Currently the population of Muslims in the subcontinent is 510 million, with roughly 180 million each in Pakistan and India, and another 150 million in Bangladesh. Had partition not taken place, the subcontinent’s total population would have been 1.7 billion (including the Muslims in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan).

Therefore, 510 million Muslims in the total population of 1.7 billion would mean that Muslims would have been only 30% of the total population. Keeping these statistics in mind, surely Muslims would not have been as powerful in a United India as they are today with Pakistan or Bangladesh (where Muslims are more than 90% of the population in both countries).

So, was the creation of Pakistan a big mistake?

Let me tell you a few stories I heard from my father.

My father, when he was alive, often used to tell me of the hardships Muslims had to endure in the pre-partition India. Most restaurants were out of bounds for Muslims. Thus when my father and his friends desperately wanted to eat at such restaurants, they would walk in and ask,

“You’re sure Muslims are not served here?”

The owner would reply,

“Muslims and dogs are not served here.”

And my father and his friends would then eat at such eateries, pretending to be non-Muslims.

In geography text books of those times, prescribed for schools in Kathiwar (present day Indian Gujarat), the regions comprising present-day Pakistan and Bangladesh were described as having climates which were “unsuitable for industrialisation”, because they were Muslim-majority areas. Hence the non-Muslims would set up textile mills in Ahmedabad and jute mills in Calcutta, even though cotton was produced in West Pakistan and jute in East Pakistan (present day Bangladesh).

Muslims were thus condemned to be peasants, and this would not have changed even if India had remained untied. Proof of this is that the first textile and jute mills in Pakistan and Bangladesh were set up by Muslim refugees after partition.

During my college days, a relative of mine brought back a book from Mumbai (former Bombay) on how to write good letters for job applications. The letters began with the words, “I am a Brahmin, 25-years-old,” or “I am a Jain,” or “I am a Christian” and so on. In that whole 200-page book, the word “Muslim” did not even occur once. One could easily have concluded that Muslims had become extinct in India.

Back in 1976, I was supplying fuel oil to ships at Karachi port. I would come across people of many ethnicities and nationalities serving in the ships. There were Muslim officers and engineers in ships of practically all countries, except those of India. Once I asked a Parsi engineer on an Indian ship,

“How is it that on your ships there are Christians, Parsis, Sikhs and Hindus, but no Muslims?”

“Indian Muslims don’t like to work on ships,” he shrugged and replied.

Therefore, did Mr Jinnah make a mistake in almost single-handedly creating Pakistan?

Perhaps it may appear so to some, particularly those who had to leave everything behind in India and flee to the new country to save themselves and are still suffering on their new land of the pure. But on deliberation and keeping facts in mind, I personally believe that the emergence of a new country for the Muslims of the subcontinent was perhaps the best thing to have happened in recent history.

Looking at the pitiable condition of Muslims in India (not every Indian Muslim shares the same fate as Shahrukh Khan or Salman Khan), I believe that my parents took the right decision in 1947 and migrated to the new country. Had they stayed in India, they would surely have been killed by wild mobs, who were indulging in indiscriminate killing of Muslims.

Was the creation of Pakistan a mistake? – The Express Tribune Blog
Shakir Lakhani
A graduate from NED University in mechanical engineering, he has been part of the chemical and petroleum marketing industry in Pakistan and was a visiting lecturer at NED University. He tweets @shakirlakhani twitter.com/shakirlakhani

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually feel it wasn't, and that Muslims in the sub-continent needed a voice. The mistake is how things have been handled since. Just because the nation was created to give a certain religious segment protection and voice doesn't mean you can't have a secular state.

Tum Udhar, hum Idhar. And make sure that it stays that way. This is the best for all.

Over the years, I have come across many people who believed that Pakistan should never have been created. Keeping today’s lawlessness and corruption in mind, I often feel that they are indeed right.

However, amongst the many reasons given to me by such individuals for Pakistan being a mistake, one of the most prominent is that had India not been divided then, Muslims today would have been the largest religious group in the subcontinent. Such statements are misguiding as these people are misinformed.

Currently the population of Muslims in the subcontinent is 510 million, with roughly 180 million each in Pakistan and India, and another 150 million in Bangladesh. Had partition not taken place, the subcontinent’s total population would have been 1.7 billion (including the Muslims in India, Bangladesh and Pakistan).

Therefore, 510 million Muslims in the total population of 1.7 billion would mean that Muslims would have been only 30% of the total population. Keeping these statistics in mind, surely Muslims would not have been as powerful in a United India as they are today with Pakistan or Bangladesh (where Muslims are more than 90% of the population in both countries).

So, was the creation of Pakistan a big mistake?

Let me tell you a few stories I heard from my father.

My father, when he was alive, often used to tell me of the hardships Muslims had to endure in the pre-partition India. Most restaurants were out of bounds for Muslims. Thus when my father and his friends desperately wanted to eat at such restaurants, they would walk in and ask,

“You’re sure Muslims are not served here?”

The owner would reply,

“Muslims and dogs are not served here.”

And my father and his friends would then eat at such eateries, pretending to be non-Muslims.

In geography text books of those times, prescribed for schools in Kathiwar (present day Indian Gujarat), the regions comprising present-day Pakistan and Bangladesh were described as having climates which were “unsuitable for industrialisation”, because they were Muslim-majority areas. Hence the non-Muslims would set up textile mills in Ahmedabad and jute mills in Calcutta, even though cotton was produced in West Pakistan and jute in East Pakistan (present day Bangladesh).

Muslims were thus condemned to be peasants, and this would not have changed even if India had remained untied. Proof of this is that the first textile and jute mills in Pakistan and Bangladesh were set up by Muslim refugees after partition.

During my college days, a relative of mine brought back a book from Mumbai (former Bombay) on how to write good letters for job applications. The letters began with the words, “I am a Brahmin, 25-years-old,” or “I am a Jain,” or “I am a Christian” and so on. In that whole 200-page book, the word “Muslim” did not even occur once. One could easily have concluded that Muslims had become extinct in India.

Back in 1976, I was supplying fuel oil to ships at Karachi port. I would come across people of many ethnicities and nationalities serving in the ships. There were Muslim officers and engineers in ships of practically all countries, except those of India. Once I asked a Parsi engineer on an Indian ship,

“How is it that on your ships there are Christians, Parsis, Sikhs and Hindus, but no Muslims?”

“Indian Muslims don’t like to work on ships,” he shrugged and replied.

Therefore, did Mr Jinnah make a mistake in almost single-handedly creating Pakistan?

Perhaps it may appear so to some, particularly those who had to leave everything behind in India and flee to the new country to save themselves and are still suffering on their new land of the pure. But on deliberation and keeping facts in mind, I personally believe that the emergence of a new country for the Muslims of the subcontinent was perhaps the best thing to have happened in recent history.

Looking at the pitiable condition of Muslims in India (not every Indian Muslim shares the same fate as Shahrukh Khan or Salman Khan), I believe that my parents took the right decision in 1947 and migrated to the new country. Had they stayed in India, they would surely have been killed by wild mobs, who were indulging in indiscriminate killing of Muslims.

Was the creation of Pakistan a mistake? – The Express Tribune Blog
Shakir Lakhani
A graduate from NED University in mechanical engineering, he has been part of the chemical and petroleum marketing industry in Pakistan and was a visiting lecturer at NED University. He tweets @shakirlakhani twitter.com/shakirlakhani

Your point regarding the population of Muslims in a United India makes the creation of Pakistan a necessity. The separation of Bangladesh does not invalidate the argument of the Two Nation Theory but simply modifies how it is implemented in practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
why ask this question again and again... get over it... i am glad that downtrodden people got voice and created their country .. now work for bringing equality for which you separated.
Exactly. It is done. Now get to work making the place what it was set out to be! It seems to me the obsession with Kashmir is the sticking point. Not saying I don't think they should get to be in one state or the other....but let it go for now. Much of what holds you guys back is fear of India (in other words Army in control...much effort and treasure to defense etc. supporting shady groups that end up causing you as much, if not more trouble than they do India). Almost all wars with India are over Kashmir and related areas. If you had not fixated on Kashmir and instead built up your nation....perhaps Kashmir would have been yours by now through natural processes. It is not too late.

Those who saw and felt slavery in a colonised country and feared continuation of the same under a Hindu rule, fought for freedom and an independent homeland, continued living and came to a free, independent and sovereign Pakistan. No matter how bad it was and may still be bad, it was and is there own. They and their families were and are happy that they are free people, which indeed is a great virtue.

Those who came to a new country seeking economic benefits and have not been able to realise their economic dream that they came looking for, will not be happy anywhere.

My name is Pakistan and I am free.

Although I use to think it was bad thing, after I saw how Indians treat Bangladeshi's in online forum, with utter and complete disrespect, I would say it was a good thing. Also Indian problem of caste racism (Muslims are untouchable "Melechha" in that caste order), abuse of women folk, high inequality, sanitation and other social problems and overall lethargy and inefficiency, makes me convinced that it was a good thing that Muslims created their separate nations. But there are some unfinished business with the way it was broken off, such as Kashmir and North East states, which hopefully will become independent in due course of time with help from rest of the world, so they too can chart their own course free from the Hindutva Brahmanic Ram Rajya supremacist fascist state, which has a facade of democracy.

what we did afterwards made it look like a mistake!!!!

Please ask your father to return the medals that he wore on his chest and the ranks (or was it the burden) that he carried on his shoulders.

It was good thing but we needed to export all north Indian muslims ( specially U.P,Bihar) to pakistan.

Although I use to think it was bad thing, after I saw how Indians treat Bangladeshi's in online forum, with utter and complete disrespect, I would say it was a good thing. Also Indian problem of caste racism (Muslims are untouchable "Melechha" in that caste order), abuse of women folk, high inequality, sanitation and other social problems and overall lethargy and inefficiency, makes me convinced that it was a good thing that Muslims created their separate nations. But there are some unfinished business with the way it was broken off, such as Kashmir and North East states, which hopefully will become independent in due course of time with help from rest of the world, so they too can chart their own course free from the Hindutva Brahmanic Ram Rajya supremacist fascist state, which has a facade of democracy.

Kallu... I totally agree with you. You should also join me in my struggle of getting over these yindoos. You, me and Zaid Hamid will make it a reality.

Kallu... I totally agree with you. You should also join me in my struggle of getting over these yindoos. You, me and Zaid Hamid will make it a reality.

man i am amazed at the level of stupidity here............totally one sided article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom